• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

I DID IT! I beat (boss spoiler)
MEGA SATAN! FUCK YEAH. Not remotely as hard as I feared, though I had max (and then a bit) Judas with slightly faster than normal tears...not really very OP at all. He really wasn't too hard to dodge, but I play a lot of bullet hell games. Actually, I've found all the bullet hell style patterns far easier to dodge than a lot of the normal enemies and "lol fuck you I just teleported behind you" enemies.

Also (ending spoiler)
GUPPY NOOOOO :(

BTW protip for fighting secret final boss:
The Chest is much more likely to give you OP awesome weapons so if you have the key before Mom's Heart, go for The Chest. BTW, you don't get credit for clearing The Chest/Dark Room this way.

jblank83

BTW protip for fighting secret final boss:
The Chest is much more likely to give you OP awesome weapons so if you have the key before Mom's Heart, go for The Chest. BTW, you don't get credit for clearing The Chest/Dark Room this way.

I killed
The Lamb
before
Mega Satan
and got credit.

SerTapTap

BTW, are the Faith and Sin stats incompatible, or can you collect both for chances of higher Soul AND Black heart drops?

I killed
The Lamb
before
Mega Satan
and got credit.

Oh, I guess if you do that it probably works. I just rushed straight to him because no fucking way was I wasting a run where I happened to get 3 angel rooms in a row

jblank83

Oh, I guess if you do that it probably works. I just rushed straight to him because no fucking way was I wasting a run where I happened to get 3 angel rooms in a row

Good for you. Congratulations.

I got a lot of angel rooms also. In fact, after the first one, I got one on every floor. I started to wonder if
killing angels
increased chances of more angel rooms.

SerTapTap

I was afraid it'd do the opposite. Funny enough, I was Judas spamming Book of Belial, apparently it's not picky about whether it gives angel or devil rooms. I was wondering how on earth I was going to get 2 in one run because if I'm lucky I usually get 1, and I didn't want to risk any runs by not taking a good devil room item until I have all my boss kill unlocks.

Oh, my first Angel room item was a Rosary, that probably helped come to think of it.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
So I killed Isaac with Judas for the first time and didn't get the item unlock. Is that because I was Judas' Shadow?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
God damn. I had crazy high tear speeds and crazy high tears in general. The parasite, 17 hearts and 3 Guppy items. Really made the game a cakewalk.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I just did the whole process to unlock
the Lost
but it didn't work. :/

Only used seeds for the 1st 3 steps and then I got to Satan and did what I had to do. I just wasted an hour for nothing. Fuck whoever decided this was fun.

You sure when you died to Mom, you died to her, and not one of the spawned enemies?

Anustart

Ugh. These fucking spiders are so bad. Playing as the lost really makes me hate spiders, big rooms, champions. These fucking things all occur way too often.

And fuck the spiders with isaac heads. They can jump nearly the whole room right on top of you.

I've made it to mom once as lost, but I died there. Does he only have achievements on hard?

Haunted

I'm usually not one to abort runs (motto: "just roll with it", but if fucking Lazarus' starting pill is Luck Down and the first item is Kamikaze, that's not bad luck, that's the game actively telling me to stop this run. :D

Also, I'm jealous at all the ridiculous posts about ludovico technique + tech/brimstone - the item just fucking wrecks me if I am without the latter (didn't get the combo yet). My dexterity can't handle two separate entities to control when things get hectic. :lol

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ugh. These fucking spiders are so bad. Playing as the lost really makes me hate spiders, big rooms, champions. These fucking things all occur way too often.

And fuck the spiders with isaac heads. They can jump nearly the whole room right on top of you.

I've made it to mom once as lost, but I died there. Does he only have achievements on hard?
Here are The Lost's achievements
Isaac's Heart - Kill Isaac with The Lost
The Mind - Kill Satan with The Lost
The Body - Kill ??? with The Lost
The Soul - Kill The Lamb with The Lost
A D100 - Beat Boss Rush with The Lost
Godhead - Beat The Chest, Dark Room, and Boss Rush on Hard Mode as The Lost.

Only the last one has to be done on hard mode

Can
Godhead
be unlocked in the Vita version? Did everything on hard mode with
The Lost
but got nothing, even after updating to 1.01.

I just did the whole process to unlock
the Lost
but it didn't work. :/

Only used seeds for the 1st 3 steps and then I got to Satan and did what I had to do. I just wasted an hour for nothing. Fuck whoever decided this was fun.

I feel you. I had to redo the whole process three times. The game's real finicky about registering your deaths as steps for the unlock. Totally random from my experience.

Some tips though:
- Always check if your win streak in the menu has changed after each step. If it hasn't then it worked and you can do the next one. If it did you have to start all over again.
- Use seeds. Whenever I tried the second and third steps on normal runs it didn't work.
- Get yourself down to one full heart* before the Mom fight. Stand in the middle of the room and let Mom's first stomp kill you, before any other enemy spawns. *I doubt it actually matters but it wouldn't register the one time I did it with ony half a heart.

Can
Godhead
The Lost

Wow. How can you be so calm? I'd be furious as fuck.

Wrynnax

God dammit! Stupid dice room! Had an azazel with red circle laser of doom, accidentally ran over a dice face in a room and got changed into stupid lord of the flies!

I know it was bugged in the PC version before they patched it, so I'm just assuming that's the case here
and I'll have to wait another month until Nicalis decides to get a Vita patch out in EU

Oh didn't know it was bugged on PC as well. And yeah, another month sounds about right. Vita version's most probably last in the chain for both Nicalis and Sony's certification department.

Puru

Blank Card is so good.
Helped me so much for the
suicide king
challenge with that World card that dropped. I would just rush to the end constantly unless i noticed a tainted rock.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I noticed earlier that there are a few special cards I've never seen drop in my runs, are these unlocked later or is there just a low random chance and I've been unlucky? I'm referring to the
Chaos, Credit, Rules, Suicide King and Cards against Humanity
cards.

Edit: I should have googled harder, I just saw that they're unlocks for challenges.

SerTapTap

God dammit! Stupid dice room! Had an azazel with red circle laser of doom, accidentally ran over a dice face in a room and got changed into stupid lord of the flies!

You can get the crap in Dice rooms without activating the die BTW; just move around the edges of the room and never touch the Die face. Read what the die # does before you activate it. Some are harmless/very useful (5 is great on any floor with an item room especially before Mom's Foot), but the stat reroll ones you do NOT want to trigger if you're already having a great run.

Can
Godhead
The Lost

That is the most terrifying thing Iv'e ever read. Trophies aside, I've never had an unlock not trigger except Samson who I needed to do a second "basement boy" run to unlock.

Almost every enemy has a predictable pattern (fuck you, Lumps), if you watch you can see the Isaac spiders are about to jump straight at your CURRENT location and just move a bit away and be fine.

Oh didn't know it was bugged on PC as well. And yeah, another month sounds about right. Vita version's most probably last in the chain for both Nicalis and Sony's certification department.

That is the most terrifying thing Iv'e ever read. Trophies aside, I've never had an unlock not trigger except Samson who I needed to do a second "basement boy" run to unlock.
Someone on reddit said that it's still bugged on the Vita version. On the PC it unlocked automatically after it was patched when you did it before, so I'm not too worried.

maty

You sure when you died to Mom, you died to her, and not one of the spawned enemies?

Yes, I went to fight her with half a heart and let her kill me with her foot.

I feel you. I had to redo the whole process three times. The game's real finicky about registering your deaths as steps for the unlock. Totally random from my experience.

Some tips though:
- Always check if your win streak in the menu has changed after each step. If it hasn't then it worked and you can do the next one. If it did you have to start all over again.
- Use seeds. Whenever I tried the second and third steps on normal runs it didn't work.
- Get yourself down to one full heart* before the Mom fight. Stand in the middle of the room and let Mom's first stomp kill you, before any other enemy spawns. *I doubt it actually matters but it wouldn't register the one time I did it with ony half a heart.

Thanks for the tips, I unlocked it in my 2nd attempt. This time I only used seeds for the isaac part then played the game regularly.
Also when playing with Azazel instead of getting myself killed by projectiles I used Satan's stomp.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
You can get the crap in Dice rooms without activating the die BTW; just move around the edges of the room and never touch the Die face. Read what the die # does before you activate it. Some are harmless/very useful (5 is great on any floor with an item room especially before Mom's Foot), but the stat reroll ones you do NOT want to trigger if you're already having a great run.

Almost every enemy has a predictable pattern (fuck you, Lumps), if you watch you can see the Isaac spiders are about to jump straight at your CURRENT location and just move a bit away and be fine.

The regular red bulb spiders tho, I swear they are random as fuck and I tend to panic a lot when they are near :lol. Then I remember they take like two tears to kill and I just rush 'em.

SerTapTap

Oh yeah, the red ones and BIG red/black spiders are pretty annoying. They try to home on you but they move fairly random a set amount each time. But if you can keep distance they're fine, only a problem when there are a lot in enclosed spaces.

SerTapTap

I kinda want to know but also really don't want to know. I've got how many unopened games and I keep running back for another run on the Chest/Dark Room

edit:
It'd be great if they could integrate leaderboards and daily runs, it's one of the best things about Spelunky
Daily run is Soy Milk, Bob's Mind, My Reflection and Fire Mind enjoy

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It'd be great if they could integrate leaderboards and daily runs, it's one of the best things about Spelunky and it would fit Isaac so well, sure you could just organize it on GAF with a custom seed, but still.
Someone organize a GAF Daily Run event, at least a weekly run!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Items everywhere

(Also this was right before the fight with Mom's Heart. Totally saved my ass.)

GJ7S0E6.jpg

(Ignore the pause screen coming into view. It's damn near impossible to get a screenshot on the Vita without that happening.)

Celegus

Well that wasn't smart... not sure why I expected the shovel to know that I grabbed the Polaroid. I guess Satan down, but I could have easily finished up Lamb too.

SerTapTap

Yeah, that's what I do. I guess my timing isn't quite good enough yet.

There's a knack to it, you gotta not press them both at once, there's a delay before the PS button input is sent but not the start button, so you have to make sure the PS button is being pressed before depressing Start at all. I learned this quick after skipping some cutscenes on accident.

Well that wasn't smart... not sure why I expected the shovel to know that I grabbed the Polaroid. I guess Satan down, but I could have easily finished up Lamb too.

Be very careful with the stupid level skips. They won't count as boss kills/endings, you miss out on any boss items/devil deals if you skip a normal boss, plus what you mentioned, just all around a very risky item. I only use it if it's the only item so I can try for Retro Treasure Rooms.

jblank83

I was afraid it'd do the opposite. Funny enough, I was Judas spamming Book of Belial, apparently it's not picky about whether it gives angel or devil rooms. I was wondering how on earth I was going to get 2 in one run because if I'm lucky I usually get 1, and I didn't want to risk any runs by not taking a good devil room item until I have all my boss kill unlocks.

Oh, my first Angel room item was a Rosary, that probably helped come to think of it.

I held onto a prayer bead, so maybe that helped.

I wish we had formulas and hard numbers for these things.

Top Bottom