• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Chronoja

Just managed to beat
The Chest
with
The Lost
, heart is racing to say the least.

I got super carried though, items included:
Magic Mushroom, Halo, Stigmata, The Mark, Mom's Knife, Demon Baby, Guppy's Head, Infamy, 2 piece bandage girl and probably the most glorious Depths 1 I have ever encountered, Polyphemus and Dead Cat. I've never been happier to see a Dead Cat in all my life, and I needed it too, I didn't get hit all the way up to the chest, where I died twice, once by accidentally touching a red poop and the 2nd on the first attempt to ???, the knife over shot him and he managed a single teleport. I actually picked up Eve's Mascara in one of the 4 Chest chests and it was a bit of a problem because it made charging the knife a bit of a pain, but it was manageable. Other than that though the damage was insane, the flies from Guppy's Head kept me safe. I also took a long shot on the Broken Watch in Cellar II and it paid off greatly in quite a few rooms, only ever speeding up the game once in the Chest in a room with 4 of those big brain / guts things so it wasn't a problem. The seed for the run was S7FP 7JQM in case anyone wanted to try it

Just knowing it's possible has renewed my determination because before it truly felt hopeless.

Puru

Damn, finished the chest with
Eve
and
Judas
I'll always remember that high attack speed +
homing shot
+
brimstone
+
anti gravity
. At first i though i made a mistake combining both
brim
and
anti gravity
but as soon as i found
homing shots
it became so broken, my only regret is stupidely getting hit by red poop and thus losing the dead boy achievment.

Chronoja

Phwoar
Dark Room
completed with
The Lost
. Full Guppy + Brimstone, Guppy's Head (probably my new favourite item), Synthoil, a few tears up pills, It was much rougher on the lives this time, down to 3 from various sources. Forgot to look at the seed at the end unfortunately.

Just the boss rush to go, then it's all about the Meat Boy / Bandage Girl and get all items for the real platinum god. So psyched.

In other news: the bloat sucks so much, especially champion ones, not that it wasn't well known, but he chewed through the run before it, all 9 lives of the cat, just such an awkward boss at the best of times. Encountered him on the victory run but he was no less of a pain to deal with.

That feeling when you happily march into Heaven and kill Isaac.

Only to not get a trophy or unlock and realize you needed to kill Satan with that character instead. Oh well, it was Cain - I do well with him.

Puru

Phwoar
Dark Room
completed with
The Lost
. Full Guppy + Brimstone, Guppy's Head (probably my new favourite item), Synthoil, a few tears up pills, It was much rougher on the lives this time, down to 3 from various sources. Forgot to look at the seed at the end unfortunately.

Just the boss rush to go, then it's all about the Meat Boy / Bandage Girl and get all items for the real platinum god. So psyched.

In other news: the bloat sucks so much, especially champion ones, not that it wasn't well known, but he chewed through the run before it, all 9 lives of the cat, just such an awkward boss at the best of times.

The bloat version that summons loads of larva and throws explosive shots is the most ridiculous thing i ever saw in this game, it completly destroyed one of my run.

Ronik

This is a thing that just happened on Basement 2:

Code:
[IMG]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/45362999557394486/9492C430698B5A33993F4B25B8B46D6349D84610/[/IMG]

I still got destroyed by 3x The Cage and 4x Fallen room on The Dark Room that were next to each other, fuck that.

rbanke

Has there been any mention on trophy glitches being fixed retroactively? I got 11 mom's heart kills trophy, missing 8,9,10. Fairly annoying

Chronoja

The bloat version that summons loads of larva and throws explosive shots is the most ridiculous thing i ever saw in this game, it completly destroyed one of my run.

Yep, I'd consider that to be one of the enemies that actually inflicts terror and / or depression should I ever encounter him. "oh god...champion bloat...that's it, I'm done for"

There's one thing that bugs me slightly with PeeP / The Bloat is the hit box of their eyes seems oddly large, especially along the vertical axis. If you watch them bouncing off the bottom wall you'll notice they barely even touch it, not even with the bottom of the optical nerve which is what I assume the elongated hitbox is trying to emulate. Makes dodging around them that bit more complicated, at least for me, since they bounce earlier than I tend to expect.

SerTapTap

This is a thing that just happened on Basement 2:

Code:
[IMG]http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/45362999557394486/9492C430698B5A33993F4B25B8B46D6349D84610/[/IMG]

I still got destroyed by 3x The Cage and 4x Fallen room on The Dark Room that were next to each other, fuck that.
Four fallen?! What the fuck! Also seriously is there any tell for
the adversary
s brimstone? Those things are worse than any final boss

edit:

Thanks. I've been using mostly Isaac the whole time but have unlocked most of the others and will use them now.

BTW, for difficulty, the characters basically go Azazel, Judas, Cain, Lazarus, Isaac, Eve, Maggie. So maybe play them in about that order to get a feel for everyone without any major difficulty gaps. Eden is about in the middle, but it's
random
and you need a good grasp on how items work to play Eden well so I'd leave it for last/if you're feeling bored with the others.

Isaac shoots up to being the best character after you unlock his Use item and be becomes a blast to play.

Finalow

I actually never noticed the Stop Watch. damn, that seems op as fuck.

reminder to myself that I should donate 999 coins as fast as possible when I start playing again.

Kuroyume

Banned
I was doing well on donating money. Now it has gotten to the point where I'm stuck at around 200-210. The machine either breaks or I need the money on a run.

autoduelist

anyone know if the donation machine can be feed by seed? if so, anyone have a good vita seed for it? i'm at like 350 and 999 seems lightyears away.

one85x

the adversary
The brimstone definitely locks on at some point, but I haven't really noticed a tell. You can typically avoid it by constantly changing your position (in front, above, below).

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Brimstone and Tammy's Head for the Suicide King challenge. Cheap? Maybe. But fuck it I did it

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I picked up My Reflection on the first floor specifically because I wanted to see how the game would screw me over later. I accepted the loss as soon as I picked up that first item.

Three floors later, Dr Fetus. Thanks for being reliable, Isaac.

Chronoja

the adversary

*snip*

Adversary's brimstone attack he makes a very distinctive noise just before he fires it, it's not exactly a homing brimstone, its a curved brimstone which he fires in a cardinal direction, so moving around him in quarter circles when he makes that sound is all you need to do to avoid it, but you have to be fast and fairly close to him because you'll likely hit the beam at some distance out.

to be honest what makes the fight a pain to me is the fact he can spawn spiders. If there's anything the Adversary didn't need it was the ability to spawn 3 spiders which he usually does before a brimstone, those things are typically the reason getting hit is the only option since they severely limit your movement once he spawns them.

SerTapTap

Adversary's brimstone attack he makes a very distinctive noise just before he fires it, it's not exactly a homing brimstone, its a curved brimstone which he fires in a cardinal direction, so moving around him in quarter circles when he makes that sound is all you need to do to avoid it, but you have to be fast and fairly close to him because you'll likely hit the beam at some distance out.

to be honest what makes the fight a pain to me is the fact he can spawn spiders. If there's anything the Adversary didn't need it was the ability to spawn 3 spiders which he usually does before a brimstone, those things are typically the reason getting hit is the only option since they severely limit your movement once he spawns them.
Actually I think I already found a great way to deal with it, just staying very close to him makes it very easy since yeah, he does have a tell, but if you're too far away you can't dodge in time.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I finally got a good run on the Demo Man challenge. I just beat the final boss but also got an angel room with an invitation to the cathedral. If I continue to the next level will I still get the trophy for the challenge or do I have to actually pick it up and end the run to earn it?

SerTapTap

I finally got a good run on the Demo Man challenge. I just beat the final boss but also got an angel room with an invitation to the cathedral. If I continue to the next level will I still get the trophy for the challenge or do I have to actually pick it up and end the run to earn it?

Just pick up the trophy, you get no unlocks anyway. Not worth risking it

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Had a crazy run with Azazel.

1l0YbIH.jpg

The big red things are from anti-gravity. When I got it I thought it killed the run because it takes time for it to fire after releasing. But I got my shot speed up and was able to have 3 of them out at once. Icing on the cake was getting strange attractor. So those red blobs acted as vortexes that sucked up enemies.

SerTapTap

I really, REALLY need to stop picking up Strange Attractor. To my surprise, My Refection is actually awesome, but it makes a terrible combo with Strange (as does almost anything with high fire rate)

Had a crazy run with Azazel.

The big red things are from anti-gravity. When I got it I thought it killed the run because it takes time for it to fire after releasing. But I got my shot speed up and was able to have 3 of them out at once. Icing on the cake was getting strange attractor. So those red blobs acted as vortexes that sucked up enemies.

Anti Grav is AMAZING with normal brimstone. Pretty awkward with Azazel but pretty cool as it serves as a massive charge time reduction

Chronoja

And it is done!
Boss rush
and everything now done with
The Lost
. Managed with the cheesiest run I'll ever get. Items:
Stop Watch from Cellar 2, Mom's Knife from a Devil Deal, A Meat Cube and Poison touch I think was from a treasure room, I don't remember fighting Lust but all these runs are blurring into one, plus a few other items like Abaddon and Blood of the Martyr making that knife do serious damage. Then, the most glorious sight in the Depths/Necropolis 1 treasure room, a Gnawed Leaf, I couldn't believe it it's like the 2nd time in 100+ hours I've seen it. I just stood still as much as possible only moving when it was absolutely necessary.

All of the bosses were champion versions and I had 2 close calls, 1 was dealing with the Bloat, he refused to jump into me, always hitting side on and firing his brimstone beams constantly, was truly scary picking a moment to get out and kill him. The 2nd was with Death, I had to break invulnerability to kill him since he doesn't track towards Isaac but when I killed him the horse almost stole a hit, I barely managed to dodge it.

The seed for this run was SRM7 HZ27 in case anyone ever wants to try it

Feels good, but my opinion still stands, this is still one of the worst things they could have put into the game, has nearly killed all my desire to play any more of it.

SerTapTap

I almost wish my ability to enjoy the game had been killed by now, I have other stuff to play but...but...one more run (I don't have The Lost yet, ~120 unlocks still getting boss kills on diff characters)

Anustart

And it is done!
Boss rush
and everything now done with
The Lost
. Managed with the cheesiest run I'll ever get. Items:
Stop Watch from Cellar 2, Mom's Knife from a Devil Deal, A Meat Cube and Poison touch I think was from a treasure room, I don't remember fighting Lust but all these runs are blurring into one, plus a few other items like Abaddon and Blood of the Martyr making that knife do serious damage. Then, the most glorious sight in the Depths/Necropolis 1 treasure room, a Gnawed Leaf, I couldn't believe it it's like the 2nd time in 100+ hours I've seen it. I just stood still as much as possible only moving when it was absolutely necessary.

All of the bosses were champion versions and I had 2 close calls, 1 was dealing with the Bloat, he refused to jump into me, always hitting side on and firing his brimstone beams constantly, was truly scary picking a moment to get out and kill him. The 2nd was with Death, I had to break invulnerability to kill him since he doesn't track towards Isaac but when I killed him the horse almost stole a hit, I barely managed to dodge it.

The seed for this run was SRM7 HZ27 in case anyone ever wants to try it

Feels good, but my opinion still stands, this is still one of the worst things they could have put into the game, has nearly killed all my desire to play any more of it.

So far I've cheesed out two lost achievements with gnawed leaf and moms knife. But yeah, all the other achievements are fun, the lost, not so much.

test_account

XP-39C²
This game is so much easier with Azazel. Mostly because you can fly over almost anything, no need to worry about spikes and stones on the ground. The only negative thing is the shot range, but the damaged dealt makes up for that. Controlled Tears with Azazel is also really effective. Going back to the other characters now makes the game feel more difficult to me, for now i have to watch out for the spikes and stones on the ground.

maty

I just needed 1 piece to complete bandage girl and l had the book of revelations in the womb I. What boss do I get... Conquest :'(

Rubius

This game is so much easier with Azazel. Mostly because you can fly over almost anything, no need to worry about spikes and stones on the ground. The only negative thing is the shot range, but the damaged dealt makes up for that. Controlled Tears with Azazel is also really effective. Going back to the other characters now makes the game feel more difficult to me, for now i have to watch out for the spikes and stones on the ground.

One of the reasons why I try to 100% every other characters before going back to Azareal.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Well, I'm in the process of what will probably be my most stupid fun Isaac game so I figured I'd share the seed.

BDDY
GBSV

Here's what makes it fun: Through a few rerolls, I ended up with spider bite, mutant spider, brimstone, and loki's tears. So I'm shooting lasers all over the damned place and killing everything. I get to the chest and go into the secret room and Samson's chain breaks a rock, revealing a black market ladder. I'd never seen one of these in the chest, and instead of a ladder down to the next level, I found a beam of light like the one that takes you into the cathedral. Couldn't resist, jumped in...chest reset. Same layout and enemies, but the 4 chests respawn too. The really fun part? That black market door spawns every time.

Well, I've got nothing to do on a Saturday night and 57 keys along with a D6, so I'm gonna see about getting every item in my pool unlocked.

edit: My work here is done.

breadtruck

All I have to say is thank god for the new "continue" system.

I was having an awesome run when my game and the Steam client crashed. Freaking first time that ever happened on any game for me too.

So after a few seconds of pure rage (and despair) building I remembered that the game allows you to continue if you leave. I loaded up Steam and the game once more and to my happy surprise, I restarted in the level that I crashed out of.

Good stuff!

SerTapTap

All I have to say is thank god for the new "continue" system.

All roguelikes need a "continue", if not for taking breaks, then for situations out of the user's control like crashes. I've had BOI rebirth crash twice now (ps4), though one was instantly upon launch. On that note, it is SO cool that the PS4 lets you attach a video with your crash report.

Cuyejo

Game has crashed on me 3 times on the PS4, thoroughly enjoying it though (
it's kicking my ass
). Might be my GOTY.

SerTapTap

I don't like to pick favorites, but yeah I'm feeling it's pretty much up there for me too. A shame it won';t get the recognition it deserves in professional critics lists. A small team made something that, in less than a month, I'm pretty sure I've clocked more hours into than all AAA releases I bought this year combined. And I'm hardly "done" either nor does it feel repetitious yet.

David___

Banned
Probably going to take a little break from this for now since I just did all the Hard unlocks sans
Godhead
since PS4 doesn't have the patch that fixes it.

dLMN8R

Well, I'm in the process of what will probably be my most stupid fun Isaac game so I figured I'd share the seed.

BDDY
GBSV

Here's what makes it fun: Through a few rerolls, I ended up with spider bite, mutant spider, brimstone, and loki's tears. So I'm shooting lasers all over the damned place and killing everything. I get to the chest and go into the secret room and Samson's chain breaks a rock, revealing a black market ladder. I'd never seen one of these in the chest, and instead of a ladder down to the next level, I found a beam of light like the one that takes you into the cathedral. Couldn't resist, jumped in...chest reset. Same layout and enemies, but the 4 chests respawn too. The really fun part? That black market door spawns every time.

Well, I've got nothing to do on a Saturday night and 57 keys along with a D6, so I'm gonna see about getting every item in my pool unlocked.

edit: My work here is done.

PC or Vita?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh man. What an amazing run tonight. On my second run with
Azazel
I managed to beat
Mom and Mom's Heart with the Bible. One shot kill.
Wow. So I guess that counts as one
Mom kill
in my stats. That was awesome. Plus
Azazel'sweapon, while inconvenient, was pretty powerful, if a bit short-ranged.
But it cut through bosses like butter. Especially the
Mama Gurdy
I met for the first time. The spikes she summoned were nothing and I avoided the vomit like a pro and took her out in seconds. I almost always want to play as
Azazel
. But I guess I should play as some other characters too. lol

Getting that
Bible
halfway through was pretty lucky.

Also, I have no idea what stuff we're supposed to even spoiler tag anymore. Is there a guideline? Hopefully I did it well enough. lol

A Spoiler filled (Possibly) screenshot here.

Damn, a reroll from a 1 Dice Room almost fucked me over as I ended up ipecac + cursed eye + little chubby (getting in the way of the fucking bombs). I somehow managed to finish Cathedral but a few rooms were pretty frustrating with me exploding and teleporting all over the place.

Divius

Guys I have a question, which item that I have is causing me to teleport when I get hit?

liTNCtp.jpg

I am trying to fight Satan and it's going alright but often when I get hit I get teleported and need to restart the entire fight -_-

At least I get to practice not getting hit.

Akai__

Guys I have a question, which item that I have is causing me to teleport when I get hit?

http://i.imgur.com/liTNCtp.jpg

I am trying to fight Satan and it's going alright but often when I get hit I get teleported and need to restart the entire fight -_-

It's the cursed eye (the last item on your list). Terrible item just because of this reason.

demidar

liTNCtp.jpg

Maybe Cursed Eye? Do you have to charge your tears?

I found a new synergy. Proptosis (tears have high damage that decrease with travel) works with Technology (or any infinite range shot like Brimstone I assume) with full damage regardless of range.

Top Bottom