• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I have a question! In the original isaac, when you use a trapdoor to the sheol in a CHALLENGE, you can't win it, and you must restart it! What about rebirth? I'm not sure if i can't beat mom's heart with my build, and i'm in front of a trap door so i'm wondering...

The only use I can think of for Cursed Eye would be with Holy Mantle on no damage runs but I'm not sure cursed eye would actually activate on that one free shot and even if it did, the activation is so unreliable and unpredictable that it would render the combo moot.

That's the one item I can't really see a silver lining to.

The only use I can think of for Cursed Eye would be with Holy Mantle on no damage runs but I'm not sure cursed eye would actually activate on that one free shot and even if it did, the activation is so unreliable and unpredictable that it would render the combo moot.

That's the one item I can't really see a silver lining to.

Isn't it just an item that's meant to fuck people over? That's at least how I feel everytime I mistake it for Mom's Pearl and accidentally takes it.

demidar

Hit an intensely string of luck. So I'm in the Chest with only 1 part of the Key and I figure with so many item drops my best bet is to keep rerolling them for Dad's Key, but I didn't have enough keys to unlock the 4 chests in the starting room. Cleared up a couple of rooms and got Lard. Rerolled that and got a Card Generator. Picked that up and used it and got a Joker card. Used the Joker card to teleport into an Angel Room. Proceeded to whoop the angel and finish my Key.

Game, you can be alright.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Just unlocked Golden God! Feels good. I'll try to keep going to kill everyone with everyone but this feels like the first real ending for me I guess.

Isn't it just an item that's meant to fuck people over? That's at least how I feel everytime I mistake it for Mom's Pearl and accidentally takes it.
Yeah, probably. What annoys me with it is that it's really designed that way, while I could actually see the use scenarios of some other items I dislike.

Kalor

Controlled tears with chemical peel is a odd combination, the tear just keeps flicking between a high damage tear and a low damage tear.

Chronoja

Thanks! :(

It's actually quite nice with the quad shot, but the teleporting makes this bossfight nearly impossible.

One of my Chest runs, can't remember which character it was, I had faily subpar damage, at least for the Chest, to the point where I just needed to pick up the Cursed Eye as a source of damage. The cursed eye is actually quite decent for everything but bosses since bosses are where you'll be stuck in 1 room for prolonged periods of time and will most likely get hit eventually, it's why getting teleported out is the worst, which is funny since I actually lucked out, getting hit in like the first room and it teleported me just outside the boss room so I saved a lot of hassle. Cursed Eye teleports you only if you are charging it and I ended up getting teleported out of the
???
fight like 3 - 4 times after only 1 hit, at this rate I was never going to do it, especially since it was his teleport what was getting me every time, nearly impossible to dodge.

I was victorious in that run due to
Robo Baby 2.0
. I focused all my attention on dodging, only ever passively charging the cursed eye when the
robo baby
needed repositioning. Felt like a boss to actually win that game.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh man. I am so glad I decided to try again after my win against
Mom's Heart
. I decided to do
Lazarus
this time and by the end of the game I had x11? lives because I was
Lazarus
, turned into
Guppy
and picked up the Dead Cat this time because I had Guppy's Paw and was able to get all the way to
Satan
and kick his ass after 5 deaths. (One death was early in the last level to some stupid enemy) I was so OP. I had blue flies out the wazoo. My speed was so high I was floating like a butterfly and stinging like a bee. I had the white creep dripping sack again, which I love to death. It was dropping spiders right and left. My tears were huge. I had a blood red laser vomiting devil baby following me around. And early on I picked up the Lord of the Pit and turned into a flying war machine before I even got the third Guppy item. I was trading hearts right and left. When that Devil door appeared after the fight with
Mom's Heart
(If you could call it a fight. It was over before I even realized it.) and I realized where I was about to go, I had to decide whether to take my victory and open the chest or continue. I am so glad I continued. I mean why waste 11 lives? In the end I only used 6 of them. All my deaths against him were to the stupid worm things that came out when he stomped down. Without them I would have killed him no problem on the second try. (My first I died to his blood laser.) The best part is every time I died to him and went back in, there were hearts all over the place from my previous death. So I could just pick up whatever Soul Hearts were lying around and be better off.

So that's 2 wins
against Mom's Heart down

Once again, another maybe spoilery but probably not screenshot of my victory.

I'm getting better at this game faster than I did Spelunky, which took me hundreds of tries to get to Olmec and even more for Yama.

Edit: By the way, the soundtrack is really growing on me. It fits this version much more than the original would. The track for Sheol is wondrous. I got to hear it for the first time just now. So good and creepy.

Remy

Just got the most OP run with Azazel I've ever experienced. Ludavico, Mulligan, and Gnawed Leaf within the first few floors. Bosses just melted. For those who want the key:

3L7Q
VWCJ

Zeth

-12 streak on ??? right now. Made it to the womb with an awesome ipecac + tooth combo, but totally lost my soul heart reserve quickly and took cursed eye which sealed my doom.

Is there a difference between ??? and Blue Baby?

Divius

man you just need to git gud.

sorry but you just got cursed eye'ed. you learned your lesson for the next time. ;D
Yep, not touching that thing again. Had I known about the teleporting function I would not have picked it up in the first place.

I replayed the seed without the cursed eye and beat
satan
quite easily though.

Chronoja

Was trying again for the last while to get the Meat boy / Bandage girl achievements, it's just ludicrous.

Had one amazing run, Famine on the first floor decided to roll with it, proptosis, shielded tears, stigmata, Pestilence in the caves, then a book of revelations in the depths treasure room, this was it I could feel it. Womb 1 boss? just double trouble loki!

It's cool though, I have only 7 items to get for platinum god, 4 of them come from god rooms, so I doubled the run up for that, 2 god rooms....both with 2 eternal hearts and nothing else. Can't catch a break at all.

Been trying ever since, nary a thing to show for it other than finally getting the D100 and The Body to strike off the list.

zsswimmer

For some reason everytime I start the game it immediately crashes on the PC. Never have had a problem before and it only started this now :(

SerTapTap

I unlocked the Necronomicon hilariously late because I never even bother using the stupid Death cards. I also still have to unlock the 100 shell game attempts item. Funny what random stuff you miss that's supposed to happen in "normal play"

Bah, forgot what path I needed with eve and did dark room twice :(

I almost did this with Lazarus because apparently the negative/polaroid don't always show up in the item list on pause (why can't it scroll or something at least?!). I grabbed the right one at Mom, but forgot which it was when I got to the point where you chose. Luckily I made the right choice on accident.

I got tired of my losing streak so I picked Azazel and beat boss rush as well as chest for the first time. Azazel is so goddamn overpowered.

Az is pretty OP to start with, but by the end with pretty much any other character you shouldn't miss anything but his flying. At this point I only like him for the flying and easily mopping up the first few floors. Unless I'm horrifically unlucky I can almost always make it to the heart, but damn some of the Cellar bosses are annoying with low damage/speed characters. Maggie. Urg.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Ok guys, I'm having a weird "bug" and can't seem to find anything on the interwebs about it...

When playing with the left stick on my 360 pad, the character moves normally except in one direction wtf ?! Like, it forces me to use the D-PAD (which everyone knows is cancer) to have normal movements on all directions, otherwise Isaac will walk slower when pushing to the bottom right direction, and only in that direction.
My pad is only a few months old, never took a hit or gave me any problem in any other game. Anybody else ?

SerTapTap

Ok guys, I'm having a weird "bug" and can't seem to find anything on the interwebs about it...

When playing with the left stick on my 360 pad, the character moves normally except in one direction wtf ?! Like, it forces me to use the D-PAD (which everyone knows is cancer) to have normal movements on all directions, otherwise Isaac will walk slower when pushing to the bottom right direction, and only in that direction.
My pad is only a few months old, never took a hit or gave me any problem in any other game. Anybody else ?

Deadzone issue maybe? Check it out in Game Controllers in control panel? I'm not that much help though, not playing the PC version

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Deadzone issue maybe? Check it out in Game Controllers in control panel? I'm not that much help though, not playing the PC version

Nah, like I said all other games work perfectly normal and as expected. Really have no idea what gives... Really seems to me that it's a bug with the game, but if so other peeps would have it too. I was gonna buy an X1 pad anyway tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes with that.

On the game : this is absolutely addicting. I've been playing this game only since launch, I think I need help :p I bought Isaac vanilla when it came out but I really didn't dig the whole flash window awkward performance so never really got into it. But now, oh boy this is amazing. I only killed mom for the first time earlier today though; it took me like 50 runs to realize I directly set the game on hard by accident since the beginning and didn't understand why I had such bad luck and really hard runs lol. I know this game is heavily based on "luck" and randomization, but that was brutal.

SerTapTap

Okay, so Everything is Terrible makes the game harder. Are there any benefits to it?

More Champions which means more pickup spawns. But it also means more curses I think and less heart drops from bosses which is universally worse, but not insurmountable.

Also, "challenge up" items also mean more champions, which really is a good thing due to pickups.

Also it's impossible NOT to get, so there's really nothing to be worried about. It's also not as bad as I initially feared. The game's difficulty ramp up is amazingly good considering the random nature.

Rubius

Okay, so Everything is Terrible makes the game harder. Are there any benefits to it?

Everything is Terrible does :
-Add Curses
-Reduce the number of hearts dropped after a boss
-More champions versions of enemies spawn
-More trap rooms with spikes if I remember correctly

It's not that bad. Add more challenge since you seem to be able to beat the game easily enough.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Beat mom for the first time on a plane ride home yesterday. Only the second time I made it to her.

That card is so awesome. Though it's slightly balanced by forcing you to juggle other cards/pills to keep it around

I had the two card slot item, so I had another to help me. Just beat Glass Cannon which was piss easy compared to other challenges. I could have take The Lamb 5 times over with the build I had. So I am done with all the challenges, going to take a break with the game and play other things.

Hyunkel6

Unlocked Azazel by pure chance, and proceeded to unlock everyone else with him. He's a beast! Encountered Satan for the first time with him, and even managed to beat it on my first try!

Finally beat the heart, snapping my -47 streak. Still haven't had an OP run yet, but Mom's Wig and multiple Balls of Steel did the trick.

LakeEarth

Are the challenges still using randomized levels, I've never done one twice. I ask because I was doing the third one (where you start out with orbiting tears), and there was a room where wall enemies were on the other side of a large chasm, too far for the orbiting tears to hit. I had no way to win the room, and had to quit it. Was it just really bad luck?

SerTapTap

Are the challenges still using randomized levels, I've never done one twice. I ask because I was doing the third one (where you start out with orbiting tears), and there was a room where wall enemies were on the other side of a large chasm, too far for the orbiting tears to hit. I had no way to win the room, and had to quit it. Was it just really bad luck?

They're random seeds like any playthrough, but with restrictions (generally just preventing item room)

Chronoja

I guess I'll stop playing now.

Congrats!. I'm so close myself, had such a lackluster evening of getting the last few items / forming meatboy & bandage girl. Managed to get another Book of Revelations on floor 1, and the womb boss was Conquest again, it has to be broken, Conquest is supposed to be rare.

My last run of the evening though I managed to knock out 3 of the 7 items I had remaining though, and 1 earlier making a total of 4 down and 3 left to go,
Steven, Super Bandage and Godhead

Also I ruined what was probably a great farming run earlier where I had a ton of health, lots of heart drops and the Sharp Plug, hoping to reroll a ton of Angel Deals but I picked up the 9 Volt in the store and wasn't aware that it breaks the Sharp Plug. Irked me a bit, wasn't fully familiar with the Sharp Plug since I rarely used it. It's a warning to anyone else wanting to try it, the 9volt adds a free bar of charge of any spacebar item, sharp plug only works when the item has no charge in it.

Meia

I really fucking hate this game sometimes. I get to the Dark Room for the first time ever, and have the full key so I can unlock the
mega satan
fight(again, haven't seen that, nor the boss of the Dark Room ever before). Have 6 heart containers, 4 soul hearts, and 2 dark hearts as Azazel. Have Tammy's Head, and the Wafer so I'm taking half damage. Then for good measure, have a Full Health pill! What could go wrong? How about having it be a DARK FLOOR, CAUSE WHY THE FUCK NOT?!

Died on the last form of
Mega Satan when he starts spewing fire trails. God dammit, I couldn't even SEE the dark bullets during that phase because of the Cursed floor! :|

Rubius

Yeah, bad luck. Some rooms are impossible with some tears. Hope they fix it.

SerTapTap

Really? I could not reach enemies at all and had to break a black heart to kill them.

It happened to me in one of the No Tears ones, there was a mulligan past a gap and skulls floating around. After a couple of minutes the skulls died and the doors opened and the room acted as cleared.

Top Bottom