• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

saturnine

Just constantly keep moving when Satan's in his third form. Once you see the second shadow you know where both hooves are, so you can stop moving and hit the leeches/first hoof. There will be a few more seconds after they're both down, then repeat. It's not really too hard, but it's frustrating if you get to him with low health as it's hard to get used to his patterns.

Also in the second phase, just stay to his sides, and only cross in front after he does a forward Brimstone.

Well the hooves are not the main problem, the kamikaze flying leeches are. And the game is so goddamn dark on the Vita I can't see what's going on most of the time.
Maybe I'll try some challenges to unlock new weapons or something.

SerTapTap

Challenges (well, the not insane ones) are a good break from the main game. ...don't do the Darkness Falls one, it ends at Satan.

Sounds like the Vita version's gamma levels are a real problem, haven't really played enough on that to notice myself. Have they acknowledged that/the trophy bugs? Been a week or two with no updates

I've been having issues with trophies on the PS4 version. I've beaten Mom's Heart 5 times (showing 5 x's on my save file), yet I didn't unlock the trophies for killing Mom's Heart 3 times or for killing Mom's Heart 5 times. I'm not usually one who cares about trophies or achievements but I'm loving this game and really want to 100% it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Well the hooves are not the main problem, the kamikaze flying leeches are. And the game is so goddamn dark on the Vita I can't see what's going on most of the time.
Maybe I'll try some challenges to unlock new weapons or something.
Yep. When I was going up against him the other day I had no problem with his hooves. But I kept getting hit by the leeches that I couldn't see because the room was filled with particles and the army I was dragging with me.

OmegaZero

So yeah, that one dice room rolled me IPECAC and that cross shot item. :(

Also: no issues with the darkness on Vita, although I am using the 2000 instead of an OLED. My issue with the Vita version is that seeds don't seem to be working when it comes to unlocking
The Lost
. I've done the first three steps with seeds and then the final step without seeds perfectly about 5 times by now.

Hyunkel6

I've been wanting to buy a Vita for some time now and this game on the go may just tip me over the fence. How's the performance on the Vita?

SerTapTap

I've been wanting to buy a Vita for some time now and this game on the run may just tip me over the fence. How's the performance on the Vita?

Playable but certainly not great. It's flawless on PS4, the Vita is just stuttery to make me not want to play it. However I do not do much portable gaming at all, but I know that being able to play on the go WOULD be really cool if I had the slightest ability to do that which I generally don't.

Also some people seem to notice the perf issues a ton less. I'm not one of them, I did a clean OS install on my PC because some games were stuttering.

There's lots of other great stuff on Vita though. While this is a fantastic game itself, it's hardly the best performing game on there

edit: note that I don't play on Vita primarily so others can probably give you a better impression

So yeah, that one dice room rolled me IPECAC and that cross shot item. :(

Also: no issues with the darkness on Vita, although I am using the 2000 instead of an OLED. My issue with the Vita version is that seeds don't seem to be working when it comes to unlocking
The Lost
. I've done the first three steps with seeds and then the final step without seeds perfectly about 5 times by now.

Why are you even doing Seeds past the first one? I've heard they're supposed to work, but I'd only risk it for the first one personally because 99% of the time you should be able to kill yourself with a bomb and if you're going for The Lost dying to mom's foot should be pretty easy. You're not the first I've heard to have trouble though, wonder if it's a bug.

Hyunkel6

Playable but certainly not great. It's flawless on PS4, the Vita is just stuttery to make me not want to play it. However I do not do much portable gaming at all, but I know that being able to play on the go WOULD be really cool if I had the slightest ability to do that which I generally don't.

Also some people seem to notice the perf issues a ton less. I'm not one of them, I did a clean OS install on my PC because some games were stuttering.

There's lots of other great stuff on Vita though. While this is a fantastic game itself, it's hardly the best performing game on there
Thanks. That's a bit disappointing to hear. I commute 50 minutes Monday to Friday, and it would have been awesome to get my Isaac fix with 2-3 runs on the bus.

ElTopo

Banned
Character or fight? They're actually somewhat unrelated

For the character, just keep "winning" and you'll unlock it. In the mean time try for boss kills with other characters.

To fight the boss, keep beating The Cathedral (angel room after mom's heart). You'll get the character before the boss if you aren't lucky with angel rooms

Weird, I still haven't unlocked him.

Had an amazingly lucky run when I decided to play on Hard. Went with Isaac and somehow got a Loudout where I had Monstro's charge shot, toxic blast, flight, damage up, Krampus Head (Got that later), Lord of the Flies, AND I was immune to all projectiles...

Managed to bomb two angel rooms and later fought
Omega Satan
which was still fairly hard even with my projectile immunity. Beat him. Do I fight
Omega God or Isaac?

SerTapTap

Weird, I still haven't unlocked him.

Had an amazingly lucky run when I decided to play on Hard. Went with Isaac and somehow got a Loudout where I had Monstro's charge shot, toxic blast, flight, damage up, Krampus Head (Got that later), Lord of the Flies, AND I was immune to all projectiles...

Managed to bomb two angel rooms and later fought
Omega Satan
which was still fairly hard even with my projectile immunity. Beat him. Do I fight
Omega God or Isaac?

You have to beat The Heart a LOT of times.

I'm afraid to say (end boss spoilers)
Mega Satan is behind the door whether you're in The Chest or Dark Room

autoduelist

I've been wanting to buy a Vita for some time now and this game on the go may just tip me over the fence. How's the performance on the Vita?

I've put at least 60 hours into it on vita and love it to death.

I do not have the same issues Sire TapTap has -- I only see slowdown in major boss battles, especially with bosses that drop liquid pools. In fact, I'm pretty sure that is a direct cause of most of the slowdowns because i've had no perf issues in large rooms while having a huge bullet/fly output.... but put a spiderboss on the screen and it does slowdown.

The slowdown, when it does happen, is fluid and does not hurt my game whatsoever.

I think it's well worth picking up a vita for if you're already on the fence.

Worth noting, minor perf issues don't generally bother me. Over in the psn thread, there are several of us who think (barring the slowdown mentioned) that it plays perfectly, and a couple who are bothered to varying degrees by the performance.

How do you all decide whether to do deals with the devil? I find that usually I haven't found enough extra health to justify giving up the health I do have.

If you do decide to do so, any particular items you wouldn't take vs. would take?

I never take wings, as there are better/cheaper ways to get flight.
I take brimstone unless i'm already a machine gun with scythes or something.
I take the familiar that spits flies.
I take guppy pieces.
I take dark bum.
I don't take contracts unless i'm filthy in red hearts.

Basically, i take most things.

ElTopo

Banned
You have to beat The Heart a LOT of times.

I'm afraid to say (end boss spoilers)
Mega Satan is behind the door whether you're in The Chest or Dark Room

Okay, makes sense. It would be hard for the team to outdo that boss (Pure bullet hell boss).

(Cannon ending spoiler)

So I take it that the ending where Isaac runs away is the real ending?

SerTapTap

Okay, makes sense. It would be hard for the team to outdo that boss (Pure bullet hell boss).

(Cannon ending spoiler)

I interpreted that ending a bit more...grimly. Thus far all of the "story" endings have been different points in time ,not alternatives. And given the ending from
Dark Room

OmegaZero

Just going to say that TapTap's description is accurate. The game on Vita has micro stutters everywhere (compared to PC at least) and it slows down whenever things get too hectic (which they usually end up being when you get to the Womb and beyond).

Despite this, the Vita version is played way more than my PC copy.

Why are you even doing Seeds past the first one? I've heard they're supposed to work, but I'd only risk it for the first one personally because 99% of the time you should be able to kill yourself with a bomb and if you're going for The Lost dying to mom's foot should be pretty easy. You're not the first I've heard to have trouble though, wonder if it's a bug.

Haha, I probably should've mentioned this but I've been doing just that (using the first seed) for a while too. I read somewhere that if the death doesn't register as negative win than it doesn't count, and none of the seed deaths I've been getting have been showing up.

Also I was using three seeds since I found really convenient seeds for them. Like an XL Basement for Maggie's requirement.

EDIT:
Thanks. That's a bit disappointing to hear. I commute 50 minutes Monday to Friday, and it would have been awesome to get my Isaac fix with 2-3 runs on the bus.

The stuttering for the most part is something you can get used to imo. The slowdown as well. The darkness issues people have been complaining about will probably make it difficult to play on the bus though.
Personally, I play the Vita version all the time on the train, and it is great.

autoduelist

Just going to say that TapTap's description is accurate. The game on Vita has micro stutters everywhere (compared to PC at least) and it slows down whenever things get too hectic (which they usually end up being when you get to the Womb and beyond).

Despite this, the Vita version is played way more than my PC copy.

Still don't know what you're talking about with 'microstutters', but we had that conversation in the other thread. At least 60+ hours in, and I've never seen them. Honestly, I think a lot of it depends on the person - I know I'm not particularly sensitive to performance issues (or should i say, i'm forgiving of them) but in this case, I can't even see the issue.

EDIT -- i do agree it's definitely a bit too dark, especially during the curse that makes it even worse.

EDIT 2 -- on a bus? hmmm. depends on the lighting. just had 3 hours in a car with boi on vita, and if the sun was shining bright into the car it was very hard to play. However, as the sun went down it was fine. i wonder if tinted windows would help.

OmegaZero

I also want to say that Maggie is my least favorite character at the moment. I always seem to have terrible runs with her. :/

EDIT -- i do agree it's definitely a bit too dark, especially during the curse that makes it even worse.

EDIT 2 -- on a bus? hmmm. depends on the lighting. just had 3 hours in a car with boi on vita, and if the sun was shining bright into the car it was very hard to play. However, as the sun went down it was fine. i wonder if tinted windows would help.

Yeah, if there isn't much light then Hyunkel6 will probably be fine. And as I mentioned earlier, the gamma thing isn't an issue for me for some reason (probably because I'm not using the Vita OLED/1000) so Hyunkel6 might not have that issue either if he has a Vita 2000.

SerTapTap

How do you all decide whether to do deals with the devil? I find that usually I haven't found enough extra health to justify giving up the health I do have.

If you do decide to do so, any particular items you wouldn't take vs. would take?

Unless my health is under 4 hearts (soul/black included) I almost always take a good deal. It depends though. Anything that gives me more soul/black hearts takes higher priority if I have low health (sin up also raises black heart spawn rate).

Almost any damage up I get. Brimstone, Mom's Knife, for sure. Guppy items I get, Dead Cat I will only get if I'm already at 1 heart or 2, or if it's the final item to make me Guppy. Books? No. The Nail? Yes, unless I have something better or already pretty damn good at least (D6). Goat Head is meh, I'll take it for sure from a red chest, but I only take it if I'm swimming in red hearts as I get Devil Rooms reasonably often otherwise (hard mode probably makes this worth it).

Flying is great, but I rarely find it worth the 2 hearts all the devil flying items cost. Whore usually isn't worth it. I ignore most of the followers, but Sacrificial Dagger is fantastic and Lil Brimstone is alright if your own tears suck or just have shit range.I shrug at Judas' Shadow for now, no point in using it as I don't get credit for an unlock (shadow judas is a separate character with no unlocks, wooo). Gimpy I'll take if I have lots of hearts or other "drop pickup when you take damage" items or protective items like Wafer. It synergizes well with anything tanky basically.

Contract is an interesting one, if you reach the chest it is CRAZY friggin worth it. Double Trouble bosses go from meh to "please no", but IMO there are more easily handled combos than otherwise. I would immediately change my mind if I found a double trouble Gurdie Jr fight though, heh.

Sarcasm

The only slow downs I get on my vita are big rooms.

My biggest gripe is you can't see squat in dark areas..like satan levels..holy I could only see the eyes -.-

Anustart

Dreading the tedium of lost achievements. And hard heart clears because hard is just more tedious than normal. I think they dropped the ball on that one.

Follow up to my trophy problem. Seems like I unlocked the trophy for beating Mom's Heart 5 times, but I never got the trophy for beating it 3 times. Is there any fix for this or am I basically screwed? Anyone else having this issue?

autoduelist

Whoo. Finally beat my last challenge (Darkness Falls). I don't know what my problem was, but I could get to satan easy but always died. Given that's like 45 minutes per run, I burnt a lot of time getting it. Already have
The lost
hard runs done so that just means all I think I need to do are a bunch of character runs, none of which should really be an issue.

The only thing I'm worried about are the no damage trophies for the deep levels. Those might be a pain if my inability to avoid the hooves continue. I suppose an OP guppy build should do it though.

Follow up to my trophy problem. Seems like I unlocked the trophy for beating Mom's Heart 5 times, but I never got the trophy for beating it 3 times. Is there any fix for this or am I basically screwed? Anyone else having this issue?

Hmm. It's a crappy workaround, but if you have ps+ you could push your save to the cloud, delete it on your ps4/vita, redownload, beat it 3 times, then pull down your save from the cloud. Worth it for the plat, not sure if it's worth it just to do.

Unless my health is under 4 hearts (soul/black included) I almost always take a good deal. It depends though. Anything that gives me more soul/black hearts takes higher priority if I have low health (sin up also raises black heart spawn rate).

Almost any damage up I get. Brimstone, Mom's Knife, for sure. Guppy items I get, Dead Cat I will only get if I'm already at 1 heart or 2, or if it's the final item to make me Guppy. Books? No. The Nail? Yes, unless I have something better or already pretty damn good at least (D6). Goat Head is meh, I'll take it for sure from a red chest, but I only take it if I'm swimming in red hearts as I get Devil Rooms reasonably often otherwise (hard mode .

I'm increasingly not a fan of mom's knife. If I have a decent fire rate, especially with piercing and/or spectral, I stick with that. The knife is still great, don't get me wrong, i'm just not enamored with it.

Goat head can be found for free from challenge rooms, and it's one of my favorite drops. I'm willing to drop to a single heart for the best of the best (generally brimstone or guppy pieces).
[

aku:jiki

It was already known (through the Vinesauce interview), but McMillen fully confirmed that they're working on an expansion.

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/103530708659/after-birth

I'm psyched about a new character and a ton of new items, the new mode could be cool if it's as good as he says, but I can't think of what it could be. Daily challenges?

I let the items decide every time and my rules are pretty simple. The Mark, The Pact, Dark Bum, Brimstone, Abaddon, Ceremonial Robe, Death's Touch, Mom's Knife and Pentagram I will always get even if it's my last bit of health. Book of Belial, Satanic Bible, Rotten Baby, and Li'l Brimstone are situational and I'll get them if the situation allows/requires. For Guppy pieces, I'll get one if I have plenty of red hearts to spare or if there's 2+ items I will get all of them regardless.

Stuff like the fear shot item and whatever else are only grabbed if I have soul/black heart generation, too many red hearts and don't mind more items for no real reason.

(Cannon ending spoiler)

There is no real ending. It's purposefully ambiguous.

Sendou

Just a quick question. If my damage is shown maxed up like this:

2014-11-25_00001gayyq.jpg

Does it mean that I won't be able to raise it any further with items like The Mark or pills? So essentially picking up an item that only raises damage would do nothing for me?

It was already known (through the Vinesauce interview), but McMillen fully confirmed that they're working on an expansion.

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/103530708659/after-birth

I'm psyched about a new character and a ton of new items, the new mode could be cool if it's as good as he says, but I can't think of what it could be. Daily challenges?

Speaking of which: better start using Reddit if you want to get your item in the expansion. Edmund's 10 favorite fan designed items will be in the game.

Does it mean that I won't be able to raise it any further with items like The Mark or pills? So essentially picking up an item that only raises damage would do nothing for me?
Damage can rise near infinitely, the bar means nothing. It probably has a cap, but it's extremely high. The bars don't scale or anything, so they can't even display something like Cricket's Head (which carries a 1.5x damage multiplier with it).

The bars are pretty stupid, one of McMillen's worst decisions. He uses them because he thinks RPG numbers are difficult to interpret and lead to pointless debate, but that happens with the bars too! It's just now we have no idea and stuff like Cricket, Lump of Coal, Magic Mush, Whore of Babylon, among many other things, can't properly be symbolized by bars.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'm in the middle of a pretty great Eden run right now, must have started off with really high luck as I got one luck up pill that turned me bright green and my stats only show 1 bar. However every pill I get is positive, the arcade room left me with plenty of keys, bombs, a dollar and an IV bag, I got Saggitarius (high range and piercing shots), Virgo (shield protection when hit), found the Prayer Card and managed to get my health up to full red hearts, it's all going really well. Had to stop playing to go to a pub quiz, which I then won. Everything was going my way. I expect it to all come crashing down when I pick it back up again tonight though, ha.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I was having a great run earlier. Was Azazel on my way to Mom's Heart and had the demon baby with the blood red killing beam following me around. I was unstoppable. Until I picked up Mongo and my baby became a shitty tear spitting piece of crap. Needless to say my run ended quite quickly. So disappointed.

Here's the seed for probably the best starting room I've ever seen: F43J F98R

Item room has Epic Fetus, secret room is in the right wall and has Fate and Blank Card. Two rooms left of the boss and down has Maggy's Faith.

I don't think failing this run is actually possible...

Edit: LOL, Quarter in the room before the boss, in the pot, on the second floor. Now I know this run is unlosable!

Edit 2: Dark Bum on Caves 2, Hierophant on Depths 1, Stopwatch on Depths 2, Guppy (one piece in devil room, one in Womb 2 and one in Sheol curse room). This run WAS impossible to fail!

demidar

Damage can rise near infinitely, the bar means nothing. It probably has a cap, but it's extremely high. The bars don't scale or anything, so they can't even display something like Cricket's Head (which carries a 1.5x damage multiplier with it).

The bars are pretty stupid, one of McMillen's worst decisions. He uses them because he thinks RPG numbers are difficult to interpret and lead to pointless debate, but that happens with the bars too! It's just now we have no idea and stuff like Cricket, Lump of Coal, Magic Mush, Whore of Babylon, among many other things, can't properly be symbolized by bars.

These nonsensical bars are even worse, yeah. Even just a floating point number would be infinitely better.

BigAT

Is there something up with Experimental treatment? I looked at my stats before I picked it up and I was 2,1,2,2,2,1. I grabbed it, checked again and I was 3,1,3,2,2,1.

It's supposed to increase every stat then shuffle them around, but I only saw a total increase of +2 stats. Shouldn't it be +6?

Sendou

I see. I have played this game for more than 50 hours and only now did I question the fact that bars were the hard cap.

SerTapTap

The bars are stupid, glad I always knew they were bullshit. What annoys me more than the fake cap is some items that affect damage do NOT show up in the bars AT ALL. Perhaps worse, tear size is not directly related to damage either, I had massive tears thanks to dead onion and they hit like a wet noodle. Does that thing do damage down as well? I felt pretty weak with it, but it's effects SHOULD be pretty great and no damage down is listed.

I'm increasingly not a fan of mom's knife. If I have a decent fire rate, especially with piercing and/or spectral, I stick with that. The knife is still great, don't get me wrong, i'm just not enamored with it.[

If I have crazy great tears I might not burn 2 hearts on it, but Mom's Knife is crazy good when used with skill. Lots of enemies can be killed at melee range safely (so long as one damage tick kills them it's very easy), and if you can time it so the knife STOPS over an enemy's sprite they'll take way more damage than if you throw it way past them and only hit them for two ticks (once going out one coming back in). Like Brimstone it's a must get unless I'm already crazy because it's more or less singlehandedly all the damage buffs you need to beat The Heart and more.

Gotta wait for a patch. I would assume this should be easy for them to do retroactively since all? trophies are tied to an unlock in game anyway.

I think Mom's Knife in general is considered kind of a boring item. It's basically a won run from the moment you pick it up, unless you're beyond terrible at using it, and using it is kind of cumbersome and not as awesome as Brimstone.

That said, first floor Knife allowed me to knock out my final boss rush just now. No more hauling ass and skipping smart plays for no reason!

The bars are stupid, glad I always knew they were bullshit. What annoys me more than the fake cap is some items that affect damage do NOT show up in the bars AT ALL. Perhaps worse, tear size is not directly related to damage either, I had massive tears thanks to dead onion and they hit like a wet noodle. Does that thing do damage down as well? I felt pretty weak with it, but it's effects SHOULD be pretty great and no damage down is listed.
The tears are another thing I think smacks of overall poor design. Does large tears mean more damage? Yes, but not always. Does red tears mean more damage? Yes, but not always! Some items just give you large/red tears for no reason. I suppose the idea is to keep the player on their toes but meh, pointless idea.

Speaking of tears, I love the glowy effect on fire and toxic tears more than any sane man should. Can we get glowy red, blue and pink tears in the expansion? More colors for Brimstone while you're at it!

Hmm. It's a crappy workaround, but if you have ps+ you could push your save to the cloud, delete it on your ps4/vita, redownload, beat it 3 times, then pull down your save from the cloud. Worth it for the plat, not sure if it's worth it just to do.

Gotta wait for a patch. I would assume this should be easy for them to do retroactively since all? trophies are tied to an unlock in game anyway.

Thanks guys. I'll wait for a patch and if worse comes to worse I'll make a new save file. Luckily it's not a tough trophy to get, I'm more worried it'll happen with some of the more difficult ones.

Trophy issues aside, I'm addicted to this game. I bought GTAV, yet everyday I come home from work and do a couple runs in this game instead. Could've saved myself $60 haha.

Kwixotik

Here's the seed for probably the best starting room I've ever seen: F43J F98R

Item room has Epic Fetus, secret room is in the right wall and has Fate and Blank Card. Two rooms left of the boss and down has Maggy's Faith.

I don't think failing this run is actually possible...

Edit: LOL, Quarter in the room before the boss, in the pot, on the second floor. Now I know this run is unlosable!

Edit 2: Dark Bum on Caves 2, Hierophant on Depths 1, Stopwatch on Depths 2, Guppy (one piece in devil room, one in Womb 2 and one in Sheol curse room). This run WAS impossible to fail!

Tried using this seed, I think you typed it wrong

SerTapTap

Tried using this seed, I think you typed it wrong

Guys seeds are platform specific, remember to post platform with seeds. Yes, this is stupid.

The tears are another thing I think smacks of overall poor design. Does large tears mean more damage? Yes, but not always. Does red tears mean more damage? Yes, but not always! Some items just give you large/red tears for no reason. I suppose the idea is to keep the player on their toes but meh, pointless idea.

Speaking of tears, I love the glowy effect on fire and toxic tears more than any sane man should. Can we get glowy red, blue and pink tears in the expansion? More colors for Brimstone while you're at it!

I love tear alterations and "demon" form items even when they're not super amazing (though I won't spend 2 hearts just to see the awesome evil black wings, wish I could). But yeah, it's really annoying when some things have much larger tears with no damage boost (dead onion does this). And some things I didn't expect to affect damage (pulse worm) do (though not as much as it looks like, because tears get HUGE with that but still deal only slightly more than normal damage it seems)

Actual toxic tears seem to do fuck-all though. I think toxic splash tears are even completely canceled out by certain combos, I had like 3 different "toxic" tear alterations and never saw a single damn enemy take a tick of poison damage. Fortunately I was killing things left and right regardless.

It's a bit disappointing--there's still a few glaring errors like trophies/not cross platform specific seeds, wonky unlocks and a couple of broken items (the injection that raises stats and shuffles...doesn't raise and is thus extremely dangerous with no consistent benefit). Fixing the glitches was the #1 reason I wanted to play Rebirth over the original, even over the new items/areas/better performance. It's much improved, but still needs some polish. I mean, it's a crazy complex game, but I'm starting to worry a bit since patches seem to have stopped happening for now (and I'll go ahead and guess there won't be much work anymore until after new year's)

Trophy issues aside, I'm addicted to this game. I bought GTAV, yet everyday I come home from work and do a couple runs in this game instead. Could've saved myself $60 haha.

Same. I've played all of 3 levels of Little Big Planet 3. But I wanted to play that with friends and no one else seems to have gotten it. And shareplay won't work with a friend for reasons the PS4 won't tell me

Oh yeah, that seed up there is for PC. Pretty strange how the seeds work differently on different platforms, that doesn't really make any logical sense...

Actual toxic tears seem to do fuck-all though. I think toxic splash tears are even completely canceled out by certain combos, I had like 3 different "toxic" tear alterations and never saw a single damn enemy take a tick of poison damage. Fortunately I was killing things left and right regardless.
Toxic tears seem kind of glitchy and situational. I had them fighting Larry Jr and from the side he took no extra damage at all, but if I lined up and had him coming straight for me, the splash damage to his face was massive.

It's a bit disappointing--there's still a few glaring errors like trophies/not cross platform specific seeds, wonky unlocks and a couple of broken items (the injection that raises stats and shuffles...doesn't raise and is thus extremely dangerous with no consistent benefit). Fixing the glitches was the #1 reason I wanted to play Rebirth over the original, even over the new items/areas/better performance. It's much improved, but still needs some polish. I mean, it's a crazy complex game, but I'm starting to worry a bit since patches seem to have stopped happening for now (and I'll go ahead and guess there won't be much work anymore until after new year's)
Well, this game has been McMillen's whole life for like 4 years now, so can't blame him for losing interest... But on the other hand, this is Nicalis' big ticket item and I hope they're smart enough to nurture that. More patches and expansions and this will be a goldmine for them.

I personally hope they do like 10 expansions and keep it going for 5 years.

Grief.exe

Ran into
Mega Satan
last night and was totally destroyed. Totally devestated because I had a character that was just totally wrecking shit up to that point. When I spawned into
the Dark Room.
I hit one of the 4 chests and picked up Dead Cat which destroyed my character. The chest items had question marks on them so I couldn't tell what I had picked up until I was too late. So freaking crushed... Didn't even last against
the lamb
once I gave up on
Mega Satan.

I pick up an devil items if they increase the damage stat, or if he offers dark bum. Also, Lil' Brimstone and Rotten Baby are both good.

I had the same exact problem last night.

Had an amazing build with full health going into the chest. Picked up Ipecac and ruined all the synergies I had, lost all my health before getting to Blue Baby.

(the injection that raises stats and shuffles...doesn't raise and is thus extremely dangerous with no consistent benefit).

Oh wow. That makes an already dubious item terrible.

SerTapTap

Oh yeah, that seed up there is for PC. Pretty strange how the seeds work differently on different platforms, that doesn't really make any logical sense...

Toxic tears seem kind of glitchy and situational. I had them fighting Larry Jr and from the side he took no extra damage at all, but if I lined up and had him coming straight for me, the splash damage to his face was massive.

Well, this game has been McMillen's whole life for like 4 years now, so can't blame him for losing interest... But on the other hand, this is Nicalis' big ticket item and I hope they're smart enough to nurture that. More patches and expansions and this will be a goldmine for them.

I personally hope they do like 10 expansions and keep it going for 5 years.

Only explanation I can think of is the pseudo RNG comes up with different results on each processor type or something. Should be able to keep it consistent though. Would never have expected seeds to not be cross platform. And now they can't fix it without invalidating one whole library of seeds. Still, I hope they correct it.

I kind of assume ed is almost totally hands off but Nicalis will be doing all the code support anyway. I do hope ed gets a break and gets to make some new stuff. A bit meh on the whole meatboy endless runner crap. Really surprised that's what's being made after I'm sure he's a bit burnt out on Isaac being a huge success and Meat Boy being a bit of a nightmare due to MS/360 policies and console makers generally rejecting him.

I really don't see two expansions a year. This isn't Destiny. Maybe an expansion in a few years, maybe one every several years if they really feel like it.

I had the same exact problem last night.

Had ab amazing build with full health going in to the chest. Picked up Ipecac and ruined all the synergies I had, lost all my health before getting to Dead Baby.

I need to remember which items to ignore. I've picked up Soy Milk and Strange Attractor once each AFTER deciding they're total run killers. Never even got ipecac. To my surprise, My Reflection is actually just fine at least with normal tears. It doesn't seem to reduce range (my fear). Though when I picked up Strange Attractor that same run...man I'm stupid. I still won but probably lost Dead Boy due to that mistake alone. I'll never grab fire tears again either. I love the fires they leave, but the explosions get me killed.

Oh wow. That makes an already dubious item terrible.

Yeah I thought it was an interesting risk, but since it universally raises stats it's probably worth it. But christ no if it's not going to raise stats. I barely survived a run after getting 1 stat point shuffled into health, all my speed removed, fortunately attack got most of the spare points.

Grief.exe

Yeah I thought it was an interesting risk, but since it universally raises stats it's probably worth it. But christ no if it's not going to raise stats. I barely survived a run after getting 1 stat point shuffled into health, all my speed removed, fortunately attack got most of the spare points.

Could be risk worth taking if you have a terrible build going, but not if it doesn't raise the stats.

Will ignore the item until I hear it is fixed.

SerTapTap

Yeah it's on my ignore list now. I think it is the ONLY boss room drop that I refuse to get. They're usually the safest, and the only items I grab on Curse of the Blind floors (except for Krampus' or Greed's drops)

I once rushed to the item room in a curse of the blind floor...got Cursed Eye.

SerTapTap

Oh damn Experimental Treatment doesn't raise stats? That's good info

If it does it's like a fraction of a "bar". But I counted my points in two runs, same result before and after taking it both times. Platinum God notes it "may" not work, but after checking the results several times I'm pretty sure it consistently doesn't work and isn't worth the risk of having all your damage, speed and tears rolled into range and shot speed for no overall benefit.

It's the Yellow injection for anyone wondering, suggest rerolling or ignoring it.

breadtruck

Soy Milk can be awesome if you have upgraded tears. Then its machine-gun cannon time. I rolled through the levels with Soy Milk and whatever other pickup I had (sorry, dont recall what it was)

Ronik

This was a good run. Azazel + Tiny Planet + Sacred Heart + Tammy's Head + a couple of dmg upgrades utterly annihilated Blue Baby.

Code:
[IMG]http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/45363475710584067/BC0336F22F9B5C753B67D5A63E59F01272C96325/[/IMG]

Seed's 2B1Y VCPD (PC), if anyone's interested. Tammy was in a golden chest somewhere on the Depths, Tiny Planet was one of the Chest drops, Sacred Heart was from Angel Room on Depths 1, if I remember correctly.

dLMN8R

Almost any damage up I get. Brimstone, Mom's Knife, for sure. Guppy items I get, Dead Cat I will only get if I'm already at 1 heart or 2, or if it's the final item to make me Guppy. Books? No. The Nail? Yes, unless I have something better or already pretty damn good at least (D6). Goat Head is meh, I'll take it for sure from a red chest, but I only take it if I'm swimming in red hearts as I get Devil Rooms reasonably often otherwise (hard mode probably makes this worth it).

Flying is great, but I rarely find it worth the 2 hearts all the devil flying items cost. Whore usually isn't worth it. I ignore most of the followers, but Sacrificial Dagger is fantastic and Lil Brimstone is alright if your own tears suck or just have shit range.I shrug at Judas' Shadow for now, no point in using it as I don't get credit for an unlock (shadow judas is a separate character with no unlocks, wooo). Gimpy I'll take if I have lots of hearts or other "drop pickup when you take damage" items or protective items like Wafer. It synergizes well with anything tanky basically.

Contract is an interesting one, if you reach the chest it is CRAZY friggin worth it. Double Trouble bosses go from meh to "please no", but IMO there are more easily handled combos than otherwise. I would immediately change my mind if I found a double trouble Gurdie Jr fight though, heh.

Thanks! This helps. Though I have a dumb question. When you've referenced "D6" in this thread, what exactly do you mean? :p

Also, I still usually don't remember what items do by simply looking at them before picking them up. Any resources in particular that you use? Right now I'm using this wiki for reference:

http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/

Combined with this cheat sheet for quick icon recognition:

http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth

CassSept

Yeah Experimental Treatment, it destroyed my run once or twice, avoid it.

I finally had some time to do a quick run. Jfc is hard mode annoying. It's not even that it's hard, it's just incredibly frustrating.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I had a crazy run with cement tears, flaming tears, zig zag worm and boomerang tears. They would fly all over the room randomly with such severe power that I took out Mom in about 5 seconds.

This game is so great.

Top Bottom