• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Seventh

Congrats!. I'm so close myself, had such a lackluster evening of getting the last few items / forming meatboy & bandage girl. Managed to get another Book of Revelations on floor 1, and the womb boss was Conquest again, it has to be broken, Conquest is supposed to be rare.

Thanks! Getting the last few items I needed was incredibly frustrating at times but you'll get it eventually if you keep trying.

I managed to get a completed Meatboy without even trying during a normal run, but I always ended up 1 piece short for Bandage Girl. Eventually I got her during a farming run by abusing the Monster Manual with the Sharp Plug. I used the Sharp Plug to recharge the Monster Manual and I had Pyromaniac and Epic Fetus to heal myself. Unfortunately getting them any other way seems to be too unreliable.

Any word if they are gonna fix the trophy problems? Do the achievements work nowdays?

I'm bummed that my golden god/dead boy trophies won't work.

Kalamoj

Brimstone and Homing shot are so OP. Going into a room charged up -> release button -> obliterate everything in a heartbeat.
Too bad I still can't recognize the 'good' items.

aku:jiki

Oh, phew, finally beat The Chest with The Lost! Started off with a first floor Scythe and some nice but not amazing damage ups stacked on top, but by the fifth floor I was telling myself that damage is good but I need something that pushes me over the edge. The next room is the shop and, of course, it has the Stopwatch, first time ever finding it. That was pretty much it, smooth sailing from there. I love how the boss tears can't even reach you with slow-mo on and you can just stand there.

Funny how things change depending on the circumstance... For every other character, I consider The Chest to be the easy route, but The Lamb has no attack like Isaac's light beams or ???'s teleport and those things are nervewracking when you're The Lost.

SerTapTap

Brimstone and Homing shot are so OP. Going into a room charged up -> release button -> obliterate everything in a heartbeat.
Too bad I still can't recognize the 'good' items.

You get a knack for it. If you don't have it yet, just look up the item on Platinum God. Search for "item room" or "devil" etc to search for pools of items to narrow your search.

I LOVE that charged shots can be charged before entering a room now. BTW protip: The Haunt is vulnerable on the first couple frames when you enter his room. Just enough time to hit with a laser shot.

Funny how things change depending on the circumstance... For every other character, I consider The Chest to be the easy route

The Lamb
has been a joke in every run I reached it, part of it is because those final levels overpower you with passive collectables, but even then, something like 2
Adverseries
or even two
Fallen
can be way harder to dodge. I've yet to have
The Lamb
die in anything longer than a minute. I haven't reached him insanely underpowered though. I did reach Isaac once with barely above average tears though, I swear that took over 10 minutes and if it happens again I'll probably just quit. I won but jesus.

Chronoja

You get a knack for it. If you don't have it yet, just look up the item on Platinum God. Search for "item room" or "devil" etc to search for pools of items to narrow your search.

I LOVE that charged shots can be charged before entering a room now. BTW protip: The Haunt is vulnerable on the first couple frames when you enter his room. Just enough time to hit with a laser shot.

The Lamb
has been a joke in every run I reached it, part of it is because those final levels overpower you with passive collectables, but even then, something like 2
Adverseries
or even two
Fallen
The Lamb
die in anything longer than a minute. I haven't reached him insanely underpowered though. I did reach Isaac once with barely above average tears though, I swear that took over 10 minutes and if it happens again I'll probably just quit. I won but jesus.

You could charge shots before entering rooms in the original Isaac as well, it's not a new feature.

angrygnat

Fired this game up for the first time just this past weekend. It was a constant stream of, "WTF". I had no idea what did what but it's really familiar in how it controls. Like it a lot.

Sarcasm

You can find out what stuff does with http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth if you don't mind spoiling some things. The game is complex enough at some point you'll basically have to look things up to understand.

Anyways to cache this on my phone or something? Using it is painful on my phone. Don't know why.

Also any idea if they going to patch in a gamma option on the vita version? While at it make the save file cross platform to include PC....lol

SerTapTap

Anyways to cache this on my phone or something? Using it is painful on my phone. Don't know why.

Also any idea if they going to patch in a gamma option on the vita version? While at it make the save file cross platform to include PC....lol

Dunno, I just use it on my PC or Surface. Be nice if they had a mobile option but the current layout doesn't really suit that well.

I'd settle for just seeds being cross-platform, seems nuts that they aren't. I figure when I buy it on PC I'll just download a 100%'d save file since I'll either be there or close enough on PS.

Chronoja

Thanks! Getting the last few items I needed was incredibly frustrating at times but you'll get it eventually if you keep trying.

I managed to get a completed Meatboy without even trying during a normal run, but I always ended up 1 piece short for Bandage Girl. Eventually I got her during a farming run by abusing the Monster Manual with the Sharp Plug. I used the Sharp Plug to recharge the Monster Manual and I had Pyromaniac and Epic Fetus to heal myself. Unfortunately getting them any other way seems to be too unreliable.

I am such a moron. Spent the last few hours rerolling to get Pyromaniac, finally got it, found a Habit which was great but it wasn't until the Depths 1 where I was able to find a series of rooms suitable for infinitely rerolling the item room. Rerolled until I found Dr. Fetus and that was awesome, I was set, Rerolled the store until I found the Sharp Plug (i couldnt enter it initially since my only source of health was an ipecac statue outside it), on to Depths 2 to reroll for the Monster Manual. Had 4 health, rerolled it twice and died...I had completely forgot it consumes 2 hearts per usage. All that effort wasted

edit: thankfully I got super lucky and found it again relatively quickly, and a Sharp Plug in basement 2. Here's hoping there's some ipecac dudes in the caves this time.

autoduelist

For some reason I'm having difficultly killing Satan all of a sudden. Used to think he was easy but now I'm on the Darkness Falls challenge and Satan feet have killed me 3 times in a row, even as guppy. I feel like I just forgot how to kill him.

It's my last challenge. Suicide King is by far the most annoying challenge. Like, twice as annoying as second place. Glad it's behind me.

SerTapTap

Crazy late response but that was a PC run.

If you did'nt know, seeds are platform specific. Yes, it sucks

For some reason I'm having difficultly killing Satan all of a sudden. Used to think he was easy but now I'm on the Darkness Falls challenge and Satan feet have killed me 3 times in a row, even as guppy. I feel like I just forgot how to kill him.

It's my last challenge. Suicide King is by far the most annoying challenge. Like, twice as annoying as second place. Glad it's behind me.

For some reason I did too on that challenge. I wasn't expecting to go all the way to Satan though, and most of your challenge-related abilities don't seem useful against him.

Stoze

I was going to make a post over the weekend about how I never understood the complaints about the lumps, and then I had multiple runs almost get destroyed because of that bullshit.
They should really think about tweaking those so they don't spawn 1 inch from you or underneath you. I don't find many things in this game to be unfair, but those fuckers are one of them.

Making a lot of progress, I believe I just hit 120 secrets. Still haven't unlocked/tried out the final secret character yet. Also still having trouble with blue baby runs, even Dark Bum couldn't save me.

SerTapTap

The lumps aren't always bullshit, but they can spawn literally on your character sprite, it's incredibly annoying. They're one of crazy few things in the game I believe skill is basically irrelevant for and that's lame.

SerTapTap

Still appreciated!

Trying to make a list of fun seeds to play through on PC. I don't really care that much about unlocks and such, just want to play a bunch of fun runs.

Honestly I've found almost any run turns into crazy fun OP stuff if you can make it to The Chest/
Dark Room
. Alternately, play Isaac and abuse that D6. Forget Me Now or Dice rooms with a 5 are also highly abusable on item room floors.

Since I got good enough to beat The Chest I'd say more of my runs than not have ended up crazy fun and OP, only had a couple go majorly wrong, and a couple fizzle/ragequit (maggie + bad item + The Haunt as first boss + get hit early = fuck that)

Anustart

Just had the most fun run I've ever had lol. I was Samson, get a ton of damage up, proptosis, fear shot, tammys head, crickets head and finally scythe shot. I have the seed I'll post when I get back along with a plethora of silly screenshots.

Scythes as big as the room.

Suicide King is the worst. I just died on
Isaac
a few minutes ago, I'm still fuming.

Not sure if I need to spoil bosses at this point, but might as well be safe.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Honestly I've found almost any run turns into crazy fun OP stuff if you can make it to The Chest/
Dark Room
. Alternately, play Isaac and abuse that D6. Forget Me Now or Dice rooms with a 5 are also highly abusable on item room floors.

Since I got good enough to beat The Chest I'd say more of my runs than not have ended up crazy fun and OP, only had a couple go majorly wrong, and a couple fizzle/ragequit (maggie + bad item + The Haunt as first boss + get hit early = fuck that)

The Chest was when that run got ridiculous, but it was more than normal Chest run ridiculous. I was effectively able to use infinite forget-me-nows while keeping my D6 and getting four new chest items (plus two to four additional chests that dropped from rooms) every time.

That said, it would be pretty hard to perfectly recreate. I did a decent amount of rerolling to get myself to Brimstone/Quad Shot which was the basis of my effective immortality.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You can use Forget Me Now and keep the D6?! How's that work?

It wasn't actually a forget me now. There's a longer description back in my original post but (weird incredibly rare mechanics spoiler):

I found a black market in the Chest, and instead of a path down to the next level it had a beam of light that took me back to the start of the Chest. Same exact layout, enemies, and drops, but everything including the golden chests all re-populated. The black market was in the same room every time so I kept going and re-doing the floor until I'd exausted every item I have unlocked and it gave me HP Up out of every chest.

SerTapTap

No, that's the idea. You potentially trade your space bar item for a second run at a floor (including a new item room and boss room/another chance at devil rooms).

If it is early in the run, I'll re-roll Forget Me Now as the D6 does a better job at getting me items.

It wasn't actually a forget me now. There's a longer description back in my original post but (weird incredibly rare mechanics spoiler):

Ahh, I see. Though the
dice room on a 5 will reroll the whole room and is pretty amazing
. Only seen it twice but I love it. Won't do it on a floor below Depths 2 though.

CassSept

The Lamb
Adverseries
or even two
Fallen
The Lamb

Adversaries are bad by themselves, two of them are really hard. Thankfully I kinda learned how to dodge homing brimstones. I think.

I have to get back to getting Platinum God one day but so many time-devouring games release next to each other, it's just not fair.

SerTapTap

How do you fight/unlock Blue Baby?

Character or fight? They're actually somewhat unrelated

For the character, just keep "winning" and you'll unlock it. In the mean time try for boss kills with other characters.

To fight the boss, keep beating The Cathedral (angel room after mom's heart). You'll get the character before the boss if you aren't lucky with angel rooms

Yes! Almost done with the stuff I find more annoying than fun - The Lost completely cleared and just a couple of boss rushes left to go. I hate having to haul ass and much prefer figuring out ways to maximize each floor so going back to characters that only need to beat a certain boss is so relaxing. After about a week or boss rush and The Lost, it's almost confusing to get to actually take my time and check every item room again.

Now to finish up the rest of the characters so I can go back to normal and not play "oh you have a D6? too bad you can't EVER use it because no keys lol" mode anymore.

dLMN8R

Dark Room

This is so far beyond where I am at in the game that it just all sounds inconceivable. Weird to see somone act as if it's easy :p

I've beaten Mom's Heart only two or three times out of the eleven required to move onto It Lives. That's after 14-15 hours of playing the game.

SerTapTap

Now to finish up the rest of the characters so I can go back to normal and not play "oh you have a D6? too bad you can't EVER use it because no keys lol" mode anymore.

Just READING about hard mode/the lost makes me not want to play. For hard mode you only have to kill the Heart for everyone but the lost, right?

This is so far beyond where I am at in the game that it just all sounds inconceivable. Weird to see somone act as if it's easy :p

I've beaten Mom's Heart only two or three times out of the eleven required to move onto It Lives. That's after 14-15 hours of playing the game.

I actually thought the same before I started playing rebirth. In BOI I barely beat Mom's Heart once or twice and died almost immediately upon seeing form 3 of Satan in an "OP" run.

But a HUGE part of the game is simply learning what each enemy does and how to react, and this barely changes between runs/items/characters. The Unknown is what will kill you a lot of the time, but once you've learned many of the bosses they really aren't even that hard to dodge. Then again, I play a lot of bullet hell shooters and most of the end bosses play like "baby's first bullet hell" honestly, so that could have a lot to do with it.

But still, learning how to deal with enemies can make what used to seem impossible into something fairly routine. I'd say I'm "afraid" of less than a fourth of the bosses in the game now, depending on abilities (I about flipped out when I saw Daddy Longlegs as a mini boss) and...none of those are end-bosses actually. Your first time fighting an enemy is always going to be the worst, probably by far. But once you learn the patterns, especially of the final bosses, they're not nearly so hard. The predictable but difficult patterns of the big bosses are way more manageable than simple but unpredictable crap like Adversary or 2 Fallens split into 4. Now THAT stuff hurts.

As you learn and keep playing I think you'll start to find what you used to find difficult is really pretty manageable, and very few runs are really that bad luck-wise as long as you have access to a reasonable pool of items (meaning you have enough bombs and keys to not miss many item/secret/shop rooms). A big part of the early game can be making sure you get as many devil/god deals early on as you can, since most of those bosses are easy no-hits, especially if you have soul hearts.

Just READING about hard mode/the lost makes me not want to play. For hard mode you only have to kill the Heart for everyone but the lost, right?
Yes, but then you're stuck with one red icon and five black ones and that's not acceptable! All red or bust!

Hard mode really isn't that bad as far as combat goes, which is the disappointing part. It feels about the same as normal, except you can easily go two whole floors without a single key or bomb drop. It's more consistently disappointing than challenging, IMO.

SerTapTap

Yeah it sounds like the biggest thing is the lack of pickups which sounds way more annoying than challenging. Something like tougher boss patterns would be way more interesting.

Speaking of...why isn't that what It Lives does? Bullet patterns appear to be the same, only difference I noticed is if you let it live a LONG time it might spawn a Basement level boss instead of a walking boil/eye.

Anustart

Some pics!
6CD62B5138A6B9AB495CF3FAEB2B352EED85C2CA

2B4DA4E03BD04FD62AE31A0CC13750F5D8B6EDC2

43AC174FD722A58A470DAE07AE89AEF480DD0967

Seed (PC): XJMM X4MV

There's several gold chests that need opened, and a devil deal that's needed for this madness.

dLMN8R

I actually thought the same before I started playing rebirth. In BOI I barely beat Mom's Heart once or twice and died almost immediately upon seeing form 3 of Satan in an "OP" run.

But a HUGE part of the game is simply learning what each enemy does and how to react, and this barely changes between runs/items/characters. The Unknown is what will kill you a lot of the time, but once you've learned many of the bosses they really aren't even that hard to dodge. Then again, I play a lot of bullet hell shooters and most of the end bosses play like "baby's first bullet hell" honestly, so that could have a lot to do with it.

But still, learning how to deal with enemies can make what used to seem impossible into something fairly routine. I'd say I'm "afraid" of less than a fourth of the bosses in the game now, depending on abilities (I about flipped out when I saw Daddy Longlegs as a mini boss) and...none of those are end-bosses actually. Your first time fighting an enemy is always going to be the worst, probably by far. But once you learn the patterns, especially of the final bosses, they're not nearly so hard. The predictable but difficult patterns of the big bosses are way more manageable than simple but unpredictable crap like Adversary or 2 Fallens split into 4. Now THAT stuff hurts.

As you learn and keep playing I think you'll start to find what you used to find difficult is really pretty manageable, and very few runs are really that bad luck-wise as long as you have access to a reasonable pool of items (meaning you have enough bombs and keys to not miss many item/secret/shop rooms). A big part of the early game can be making sure you get as many devil/god deals early on as you can, since most of those bosses are easy no-hits, especially if you have soul hearts.

I don't really have a problem surviving too much, it's just that each run takes so long now. I think last time I killed Mom's Heart it took me ~40 minutes.

I mean, sure, I could just skip to bosses and rush through things, but don't you generally want to explore the entire floor to ensure you get whatever powerups might be lurking? It seems like it would be counterproductive to skip rooms.

SerTapTap

I've STILL never gotten that scythe, is that an unlock or what?

I don't really have a problem surviving too much, it's just that each run takes so long now. I think last time I killed Mom's Heart it took me ~40 minutes.

I mean, sure, I could just skip to bosses and rush through things, but don't you generally want to explore the entire floor to ensure you get whatever powerups might be lurking? It seems like it would be counterproductive to skip rooms.

Yeah, though once you've gotten your item room, secret room, shop (if you have money), arcade (if you have money/health to burn) there's generally not much to do on a floor. But I only rush if I want the boss rush room or if I'm in a challenge (because lol whatever I ain't finding shit). Runs will take about an hour to go all the way to the bottom unless you rush, that's about right. Though if you can get high damage early on it can really simplify things, that's why early devil deals are so nice.

Are you looking for secret/supersecret rooms? Secret room is easy (but occasionally doesn't have a predictable location), supersecret is hard and I usually only try if there's a single obvious empty area ajacent to the room leading to the boss. Secret rooms will often give you reasonable amounts of goodies for very little buy in or time wasted (after scouting out a floor you should find it in one or two bombs)

autoduelist

You'll get better. I can get to the final boss consistently. If I die sooner, it's because I gave up on the run floor 1, or because I was having such a bad run I decided to risk devil dealing down to one heart or something and run into some form of laser room/bosses. By the time I get to the harder levels, i'm almost always OP due to the tons of pickups along the way.

You'll also learn little important strategies, like ensuring you lose no red health on level 2 to guarantee a devil deal,ways to reduce guessing where to bomb for secret rooms, shop management, etc.

Yeah it sounds like the biggest thing is the lack of pickups which sounds way more annoying than challenging. Something like tougher boss patterns would be way more interesting.

Speaking of...why isn't that what It Lives does? Bullet patterns appear to be the same, only difference I noticed is if you let it live a LONG time it might spawn a Basement level boss instead of a walking boil/eye.

I played The Lost on hard so long that now normal feels ridiculous.... i'm constantly drowning in keys/bombs/gold.

I actually think that makes hard considerably harder - less bombs/keys equal significantly less pickups.

It lives spawns two eyes at start, then one when you kill those, and another one when you kill that. It then drops for awhile, and if you don't kill it starts spawning other enemies (often boss level).

SerTapTap

It lives spawns two eyes at start, then one when you kill those, and another one when you kill that. It then drops for awhile, and if you don't kill it starts spawning other enemies (often boss level).

I'm pretty sure Mom's Heart does exactly that, except the enemies she spawned after the first 2 batches are easier. I'm like 95% sure it always did the eye thing.

dLMN8R

How do you all decide whether to do deals with the devil? I find that usually I haven't found enough extra health to justify giving up the health I do have.

If you do decide to do so, any particular items you wouldn't take vs. would take?

Leezard

How do you all decide whether to do deals with the devil? I find that usually I haven't found enough extra health to justify giving up the health I do have.

If you do decide to do so, any particular items you wouldn't take vs. would take?

I like taking damage items if I lack damage. If i deal more damage, I might take less damage in return since I can kill my enemies faster.

Kuroyume

Banned
Ran into
Mega Satan
last night and was totally destroyed. Totally devestated because I had a character that was just totally wrecking shit up to that point. When I spawned into
the Dark Room.
I hit one of the 4 chests and picked up Dead Cat which destroyed my character. The chest items had question marks on them so I couldn't tell what I had picked up until I was too late. So freaking crushed... Didn't even last against
the lamb
once I gave up on
Mega Satan.

I pick up an devil items if they increase the damage stat, or if he offers dark bum. Also, Lil' Brimstone and Rotten Baby are both good.

Anustart

Only 19 achievements left.

Have a lot of the beat the heart on hard ones because I care not for multiplayer babies, but looks like that's about all I got left.

Edit: Looks like all I got left is all multiplayer babies except 1 or 2, meat boy and bandage girl >.<, blue candle, stopwatch and some of the losts.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Mom's knife unlocked finally. Judas run is going perfect so far but I missed boss rush by two minutes. So op too. I had max damage without book of beliAl then got cricket head jesus juice and sacred heart. I only just beat mom lol

SerTapTap

Ran into
Mega Satan
last night and was totally destroyed. Totally devestated because I had a character that was just totally wrecking shit up to that point. When I spawned into
the Dark Room.
I hit one of the 4 chests and picked up Dead Cat which destroyed my character. The chest items had question marks on them so I couldn't tell what I had picked up until I was too late. So freaking crushed... Didn't even last against
the lamb
once I gave up on
Mega Satan.

I pick up an devil items if they increase the damage stat, or if he offers dark bum. Also, Lil' Brimstone and Rotten Baby are both good.

Hm...I actually didn't find
Mega Satan
to be a big problem at all--did you have good range though? I noticed the fight would probably be a lot different with very short range. Only thing I found that wasn't easy to dodge was the MEGA BRIMSTONE so I just stayed away from the direct front of him unless he was already doing/finishing another attack. you do need pretty good damage though, you should be able to quickly dispatch the bosses he spawns or you're in for a bad time.

Chronoja

A productive night, knocked out both Meat Boy and Bandage girl achievements and 1 of my 3 remaining items,
Steven
. Now just
Super Bandage
and
Godhead
to find for both Platinum and Real Platinum

It was a bit annoying, on the run where I set up the infinite rerolling on the Monster Manual, I doubled it up as a potential Angel Deal reroll for the
Godhead
, managed to get into one via a Joker card, killed the angel in order to reroll 2 items at once, but after like 2 - 3 rerolls it stopped cycling through the angel pool items and a few more rerolls after that I basically just ran out of items completely, everything defaulting to the basic milk hp up item, and this was only on the catacombs 2.

saturnine

My patience is wearing thin with this game. I'm trying to do Sheol five times and I'm really not having fun anymore. You get killed way too quickly, and Satan's third phase is a real shit show if you don't have the most OP build ever to clean the room every five seconds.

At least womb/utero is manageable with a mediocre build, but what comes after... I don't know if I want to waste twenty minutes eachy time, to what amounts to rolling a dice praying for a good combo.

SerTapTap

My patience is wearing thin with this game. I'm trying to do Sheol five times and I'm really not having fun anymore. You get killed way too quickly, and Satan's third phase is a real shit show if you don't have the most OP build ever to clean the room every five seconds.

At least womb/utero is manageable with a mediocre build, but what comes after... I don't know if I want to waste twenty minutes eachy time, to what amounts to rolling a dice praying for a good combo.

Just constantly keep moving when Satan's in his third form. Once you see the second shadow you know where both hooves are, so you can stop moving and hit the leeches/first hoof. There will be a few more seconds after they're both down, then repeat. It's not really too hard, but it's frustrating if you get to him with low health as it's hard to get used to his patterns.

Also in the second phase, just stay to his sides, and only cross in front after he does a forward Brimstone.

Top Bottom