• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

Soy Milk can be awesome if you have upgraded tears. Then its machine-gun cannon time. I rolled through the levels with Soy Milk and whatever other pickup I had (sorry, dont recall what it was)

It helps with tears that proc into special effects, but it's really weird with how it affects damage. It seems to instantly floor your damage stat; I had near "max" damage before I picked it up, 1 damage after. In addition, it seems to ignore most damage up items or it severely reduces their affect somehow. However some things break it, like the stat-balancing Zodiac item apparently greatly increases damage dealt from it without reducing effective tear firing rate.

Not worth picking up without an item that already synergizes with it though, much like Tiny Planet.

This was a good run. Azazel + Tiny Planet + Sacred Heart + Tammy's Head + a couple of dmg upgrades utterly annihilated Blue Baby.

lol you don't even need half of that crap to be OP, Tammy's Head + Azazel is already an OHKO against almost everything. Tiny Planet + Brimstone is amazing though. I'm so glad stuff affects the brim laser, it makes some of the ___Worm items pretty funny. I really want to get a psychic brimstone run sometime.

Don't forget to state platform with seed btw

Thanks! This helps. Though I have a dumb question. When you've referenced "D6" in this thread, what exactly do you mean? :p

Also, I still usually don't remember what items do by simply looking at them before picking them up. Any resources in particular that you use? Right now I'm using this wiki for reference:

D6 is a hold item Isaac will unlock later on. It rerolls "pedestal" items AKA collectables. It's crazy OP and leads to lots of game breaking stuff. On purpose, it seems.

Those two sites are mostly what I use, plus some knowledge from the first game and the original BOI wiki. You'll start to recognize items as you go. Just make sure you get a good look at the icon before you grab it, read the name and the description in game so you have as much to associate with that item as possible.

The Boat

I finally played this for the first time the other day, it seems pretty fun, reminded me of Spelunky (mixed with Zelda and a shmup), but it tries too hard to be shocking/edgy/gross. Still, pretty cool.

SerTapTap

I finally played this for the first time the other day, it seems pretty fun, reminded me of Spelunky (mixed with Zelda and a shmup), but it tries too hard to be shocking/edgy/gross. Still, pretty cool.

You stop noticing the poop/etc in a couple hours if you don't like it, the gameplay mechanics, items and bosses are good for dozens or hundreds of hours

BigAT

Lump of Coal has a cool synergy with anti-gravity tears (I'm doing challenge #17). The tears grow in size/damage as long as they hang in the air, which includes before you release them with anti-gravity. So you can just leave them up for a couple of seconds, like you might anyway, and then you have these massively damaging tears.

SerTapTap

Do you still unlock stuff if you use seeds?

No, with a minor exception in the secret character's unlock process. There's a big "no trophies" icon in the left side of the screen at all times to show you that.

Lump of Coal has a cool synergy with anti-gravity tears (I'm doing challenge #17). The tears grow in size/damage as long as they hang in the air, which includes before you release them with anti-gravity. So you can just leave them up for a couple of seconds, like you might anyway, and then you have these massively damaging tears.

Anti Grav has some really cool synergies I wouldn't have thought of. Anti Grav + brimstone (not Azazel's brimstone) is amazingly fun. AT first I thought it would be terrible but it works great

Akai__

Pretty good run currently:

Edit: Just found Polyphemus too. This is incredible.

Seed for the run above:
BXrU0F1.png

Soy Milk can be awesome if you have upgraded tears. Then its machine-gun cannon time. I rolled through the levels with Soy Milk and whatever other pickup I had (sorry, dont recall what it was)

I picked up Soy Milk with explosive tears and it was just insane. The main challenge was not blowing myself up!

Celegus

Anti Grav has some really cool synergies I wouldn't have thought of. Anti Grav + brimstone (not Azazel's brimstone) is amazingly fun. AT first I thought it would be terrible but it works great

Mom's Eye (the one in the back of your head) works the best with anti-grav as well, basically doubles your tears.

aku:jiki

I finally had some time to do a quick run. Jfc is hard mode annoying. It's not even that it's hard, it's just incredibly frustrating.
It really is, and I'm so bored with it. I think I have 3 more characters that need to hit up Dark Room on hard and then I'll revert back and have more fun.

Worst part is that the actual combat isn't any harder! It's essentially just the same game with no drops. Boooooooring.

It's not really trying anything, this is just McMillen's honest style. He's a manchild who can't stop himself from drawing buttholes and dicks on everything he touches.

He's also a genius game designer so you shouldn't let that turn you off.

autoduelist

Oh yeah, that seed up there is for PC. Pretty strange how the seeds work differently on different platforms, that doesn't really make any logical sense...

Different random number generator procedures. Basically, you feed your RNG a 'seed' and it throws back a new number. The RNG itself isn't something you code, it's already there. Commonly, when you just need a random number while coding you do something simple like giving it the current timestamp as a seed. However, since the same seed will always return the same number you can also use the RNG to 'control' runs, as happens in BoI. Give it a starting seed, get the number you need, then chain that number back in as a new seed, and you'll keep the same chain as long as nothing else changes sequence.

Probably worth noting then that term 'random number generator' is a bit of a misnomer. You aren't actually getting a random number, but you are getting something which allows you to 'effectively' get a random number (ie, by using something like the current timestamp as a seed).

Only explanation I can think of is the pseudo RNG comes up with different results on each processor type or something. Should be able to keep it consistent though.

I agree that's the issue, but I wouldn't even know how to begin to keep it consistent. It very much sounds like a 'welp, every platform is going to have different seeds' problem to me (as in, that's the only answer).

SerTapTap

It's not really trying anything, this is just McMillen's honest style. He's a manchild who can't stop himself from drawing buttholes and dicks on everything he touches.

He's also a genius game designer so you shouldn't let that turn you off.
It's not just that either, lots of existentialist and generally grim shit. Timefcuk is a very grim mindfuck game with nothing particularly "edgy" or low brow humor beyond the name itself.

Mom's Eye (the one in the back of your head) works the best with anti-grav as well, basically doubles your tears.

The new interactions are one of my favorite parts of rebirth. I had Mom's Eye with Mom's Knife and you get TWO KNIVES it's great. A few things still override each other or work in unexpected ways, but it's far better than the situation in classic. I also had triple chocolate knives once. Fun times.

It's not just that either, lots of existentialist and generally grim shit. Timefcuk is a very grim mindfuck game with nothing particularly "edgy" or low brow humor beyond the name itself.
Oh yeah, Isaac actually has one of my favorite stories in games. It's incredibly dark and kind of scary when you think about it, much more so than games about tall men in suits who hang out in the forest.

The new interactions are one of my favorite parts of rebirth. I had Mom's Eye with Mom's Knife and you get TWO KNIVES it's great. A few things still override each other or work in unexpected ways, but it's far better than the situation in classic. I also had triple chocolate knives once. Fun times.
I've never had better than Ludovico Brimstone and triple Brim. No quad knives going in all four directions or anything rad like that.

I need to learn how to break. I can't figure out where the immortality comes in...

SerTapTap

Oh yeah, Isaac actually has one of my favorite stories in games. It's incredibly dark and kind of scary when you think about it, much more so than games about tall men in suits who hang out in the forest.

I've never had better than Ludovico Brimstone and triple Brim. No quad knives going in all four directions or anything rad like that.

I need to learn how to break. I can't figure out where the immortality comes in...

Yeah, I love the story in Isaac, and also how it's gradually revealed in bits. It's not just cutscenes, its area names, it's enemies, it's items, it's loading screens. It's a bunch of stuff you piece together.

Triple brim is pretty cool but I don't think it actually triples damage? I can't tell, it didn't seem as crazy as I'd have expected. Triple knives does though. I had triple brim and mom's eye on Azazel, it would have been amazing if not for his tiny range

Also, even if it didn't deal the damage I hoped for, this was still a real looker

maty

Finally got "Super Meat Boy" and "A Bandage" achievements. :D

Got Pyromaniac in the 1st Item Room and Sharp Plug in the Shop. Then got Habit in the 2nd or 3rd shop. And finally in Depths I there was a room with boom flies which I used to heal and charge D6 until I got Dr. Fetus.

After that I was just rerolling until monster manual appeared.

After several runs with the Book of Revelations only to get Conquest at the end or the wrong item, I'm glad this is done.

Now I only need to kill
Satan
and
The Lamb
with
The Lost
to get all achievements

maty

Get pyromaniac on floor one twice, sharp plug refused to show up in all the shops, even rerolling multiple times :/

This happened to me as well 2 or 3 times. Went all the way down to Depths II only to restart the game.

You just need to keep on trying, it will appear eventually. Unless you are very lucky, getting both these achievements is quite tedious. :/

Akai__

What's this? DLC? Any time estimates? Can't click the link at work.

They will work on DLC after the holiday season. There is currently a thread on Reddit, where people can recommend new items/up- and downvote them and Edmund will cherrypick the 10 best of them.

SerTapTap

Get pyromaniac on floor one twice, sharp plug refused to show up in all the shops, even rerolling multiple times :/

I always get sharp plug on runs where I can't use it for anything useful.

Also does it not work unless the gauge is 100% empty? The one time I tried to use it I couldn't. I haven't been playing as Isaac and it has relatively few good uses beyond d6 spam that I've seen.

So I killed all the bosses with all the characters, completed all the challenges and unlocked the Lost.
Yeah I'm done until the expansion, the Lost is just not fun for me.

SerTapTap

What could have been interesting if they gave The Lost some godly but limited item to make him play more like a bullet hell character, where you only take 1 hit but you have multiple bullet-wiping bombs or something. Just...anything other than "you're a shittier version of Isaac here don't take literally any damage ever have fun".

maty

I just beat
Satan
and
The Lamb
with
the Lost
, but I forgot to switch to Hard so I need to do it again to get
"Godhead"
xD

Stoze

What could have been interesting if they gave The Lost some godly but limited item to make him play more like a bullet hell character, where you only take 1 hit but you have multiple bullet-wiping bombs or something. Just...anything other than "you're a shittier version of Isaac here don't take literally any damage ever have fun".

The Lost shouldn't have been a character honestly. If they wanted to challenge players with something like that, they could have just put in an option to start the player with no health and lock it there. Or make it a challenge called "The Lost". Not sure how Nicalis and Edmund ended up thinking that was a good reward as the unlock for completing their ridiculous puzzle. Also not having cool unlocks for beating things on hard with the other characters is a weird decision as well.

Not a big deal to me despite that though, it's just one character. I guess it also helps that I don't give two shits about achievements.

SerTapTap

Well I'm glad the Hard unlocks are just pointless babies, The Lost is the main problem. Hard Mode unlocks might be interesting if I had the slightest motivation to play on hard.

Interested to hear about this new game Ed has though. ...hopefully it's nothing like the lost/Hard mode lol.

demidar

Well I'm glad the Hard unlocks are just pointless babies, The Lost is the main problem. Hard Mode unlocks might be interesting if I had the slightest motivation to play on hard.

Interested to hear about this new game Ed has though. ...hopefully it's nothing like the lost/Hard mode lol.

Yeah Hard unlocks have been thoroughly disappointing.

Anustart

Can Meat Boy and Bandage girl be spawned from a d4?

Also, speaking of d4 antics, I got some interesting things last run. Those small cage enemies that shoot the little biters and not the brimstone, if you have midas touch and e-coli, every time you get hit by one, a pile of golden poop spawns. Also seemingly ended up with dr. fetus and number one and my reflection. A stream of bombs that come back lol.

Stoze

I'm glad they are too, but if we didn't have The Lost then I wouldn't mind proper unlocks for all characters on hard, or at least some more incentive for them. I love nearly all the other new additions though (hard mode is better than nothing), so whatever it is I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Chronoja

A new god has joined the real platinum pantheon.

WXh937z.png

Took a while to get that
Godhead
Sharp Plug + Placenta in an Angel Room, 17 rerolls to get it, but
it's finally done!

Best of luck to everyone else aiming for this goal!

maty

A new god has joined the real platinum pantheon.

WXh937z.png

Took a while to get that
Godhead
Sharp Plug + Placenta in an Angel Room, 17 rerolls to get it, but
it's finally done!

Congrats, hopefully I'll join you soon enough. Only 3 achievements missing

carlos

Ugh, I'll never get to deposit 999 coins since every time I'm loaded with cash, the damn thing breaks after taking in just a couple of coins....damn game is programmed to screw you over at every turn; you need bombs, you get keys ; you need hearts, you get cash (and vice versa).

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but damned if I don't get envious of the crazy combos you guys mention constantly. (I haven't gotten ludovico technique in over 75 runs, lol).

Quick question: I just beat the chest for the first time, am I done story-wise with the game? I don't think I'll keep torturing myself with the weaker characters after going on a long win streak with azazel.

Mazzo

I think experimental treatment doubled my hearts and maxed my damage in my latest run, so it does work well sometimes. (it's the all stats up and reshuffled right?)

Mugsy

Quick question: I just beat the chest for the first time, am I done story-wise with the game?

There are a total of 16 endings you can see through the stats menu option, the chest is close to the end but not quite there yet.
You also must beat The Dark Room if you have not already and Mega Satan.

SerTapTap

Ugh, I'll never get to deposit 999 coins since every time I'm loaded with cash, the damn thing breaks after taking in just a couple of coins....damn game is programmed to screw you over at every turn; you need bombs, you get keys ; you need hearts, you get cash (and vice versa).

Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but damned if I don't get envious of the crazy combos you guys mention constantly. (I haven't gotten ludovico technique in over 75 runs, lol).

Quick question: I just beat the chest for the first time, am I done story-wise with the game? I don't think I'll keep torturing myself with the weaker characters after going on a long win streak with azazel.

Every time I get Ludovico it's with trash tears. You can't get EVERY combo. Not without a few hundred hours in anyway

There's still
The Dark Room
for story content and IIRC
Mega Satan
has it's own ending as well.

Also does it not work unless the gauge is 100% empty? The one time I tried to use it I couldn't. I haven't been playing as Isaac and it has relatively few good uses beyond d6 spam that I've seen.
It pretty much is intended for breaking but stuff like Sharp Plug + Wafer + Yum Heart means straight-up invincibility, as you'll be spending half a heart to make a full heart.

I wonder if Book of Belial stacks in this one? Could use the above to give yourself 10x Belial boosts, that should one hit any boss.

The Lost should start with 4 damage to make any sort of sense whatsoever; like you said, a typical shmup-style glass cannon playstyle makes perfect sense. The fact that it starts with no health and 1 damage is ridiculous. The Cellar being the most terrifying floor in the game cannot possibly be the intention... The little spiders take three hits!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It pretty much is intended for breaking but stuff like Sharp Plug + Wafer + Yum Heart means straight-up invincibility, as you'll be spending half a heart to make a full heart.

I wonder if Book of Belial stacks in this one? Could use the above to give yourself 10x Belial boosts, that should one hit any boss.

The Lost should start with 4 damage to make any sort of sense whatsoever; like you said, a typical shmup-style glass cannon playstyle makes perfect sense. The fact that it starts with no health and 1 damage is ridiculous. The Cellar being the most terrifying floor in the game cannot possibly be the intention... The little spiders take three hits!

If I ever get a gnawed leaf + daddy longlegs with the lost, I am cheesing the shit out of the game. Maybe I'll never beat boss rush (since I won't make it through mom in time), but I should be able to get through the rest of the game.

SerTapTap

I think someone should make a list of the "must-have" unlockable items.

Well one of the most "must have" is also the most absurdly difficult item in the game to unlock (and still one of the hardest to get after unlocked, lol angel rooms). Some of the easier but relevant unlocks would be cool to have listed I guess.

Well one of the most "must have" is also the most absurdly difficult item in the game to unlock (and still one of the hardest to get after unlocked, lol angel rooms). Some of the easier but relevant unlocks would be cool to have listed I guess.
Godhead is cool but not that mindblowing. It really is just Sacred Heart 2.5.

I'd say Stopwatch is the big "holy fucking shit is this actually happening" unlock.

Top Bottom