• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

Godhead is cool but not that mindblowing. It really is just Sacred Heart 2.5.

I'd say Stopwatch is the big "holy fucking shit is this actually happening" unlock.

I still need to get that. I'm at 400 coins. Ugh. Guess I'll do some cain "runs". Is A Dollar way rarer than before or is that just me?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I still need to get that 400 coins. Ugh. Guess I'll do some cain "runs". Is A Dollar way rarer than before or is that just me?

Doesn't matter, the machine will jam after 3 coins if you get the dollar. Because the game hates you. :(

aku:jiki

Pretty sure I just had every trinket in the same room. Used a heirophant card in that room and it only spawned 1 soul heart :/
I noticed that on my run I posted the seed for earlier. I used Blank Card + Hierophant constantly (as in every time I could, I used it to drop more soul hearts even if I had full health) from Depths 1 onward. Somewhere around the end of the Womb or in Sheol, it stopped giving me two hearts and would only drop 1 every time I used it. Only the actual card, when I finally used it instead of Blank Card, actually dropped 2. Weird bug or even weirder hidden limitation?

I still need to get that 400 coins. Ugh. Guess I'll do some cain "runs". Is A Dollar way rarer than before or is that just me?
It was always very rare, so I'd say it's about the same. You already know the donation machine would just break after 2 coins even if you found it.

I grinded it out with Azazel, just grabbing any and all coins on floors 1 & 2 and then resetting. Took about an hour for my last 250 coins. Kind of a pain and ultimately useless as it'd have filled up eventually, but it's nice to have both the Stopwatch and a full bank now. Always having access to money as long as you have bombs can be very handy...

SerTapTap

I noticed that on my run I posted the seed for earlier. I used Blank Card + Hierophant constantly (as in every time I could, I used it to drop more soul hearts even if I had full health) from Depths 1 onward. Somewhere around the end of the Womb or in Sheol, it stopped giving me two hearts and would only drop 1 every time I used it. Only the actual card, when I finally used it instead of Blank Card, actually dropped 2. Weird bug or even weirder hidden limitation?

It was always very rare, so I'd say it's about the same. You already know the donation machine would just break after 2 coins even if you found it.

I grinded it out with Azazel, just grabbing any and all coins on floors 1 & 2 and then resetting. Took about an hour for my last 250 coins. Kind of a pain and ultimately useless as it'd have filled up eventually, but it's nice to have both the Stopwatch and a full bank now. Always having access to money as long as you have bombs can be very handy...

Oh does the count not reset? I thought I read that A) it resets to 0 after a run where it's on 999 B) boming it will eventually reset it to 0

Oh does the count not reset? I thought I read that A) it resets to 0 after a run where it's on 999 B) boming it will eventually reset it to 0
A) I've heard that your machine is back to 999 on the next run if you use the 000 rollover thing, but I don't dare use it without 150% confirmation.

B) Well, yeah, of course it runs out eventually... Just put some in when you can to keep it going.

SerTapTap

A) I've heard that your machine is back to 999 on the next run if you use the 000 rollover thing, but I don't dare use it without 150% confirmation.

B) Well, yeah, of course it runs out eventually... Just put some in when you can to keep it going.

I mean, I thought I heard it can randomly set itself down to 0 if you bomb it so I've been afraid to bomb it at all until I hit 999

SerTapTap

Anyone here tried to stream BoI? When I try to do that on obs the game slows down immensely (on a 270x)

Probably a CPU issue or anything. Are you getting high CPU usage while doing that? Also, this shouldn't happen, but maybe they're fighting over the same CPU core? I don't think I've ever had a CPU/game stupid enough to do that though

maty

When I reached 999 I inserted another coin and it exploded dropping lots 10c coins. In my next run it was back to 0.
I did bomb it several times before getting to 999 to get some coins to buy items and I didn't have a problem with it.

Also...

Thank god for Stop Watch!! Best item ever.

Now I'm just missing the Platinum God achievements :D

Anustart

Was grinding coins (Finally got 999) when a book of revelations appeared on floor one, ran it down to womb and actually got meat boy. Just need bandage girl now. 16 achievements left.

Chronoja

Anyone here tried to stream BoI? When I try to do that on obs the game slows down immensely (on a 270x)

My obs hated the game. I never tried to stream it but attempting to record it in any fashion just didn't work. game capture crashed it every time, window and monitor capture got nothing but still frames and nothing more. Figured I didn't really care that much anyways and gave up on it, but there are a few runs I would have liked to have had recorded.

Audioboxer

After hours of play I'm still happily surprised by new combos of power ups changing each playthrough.

Does anyone have a character unlock guide? I think there's some secret character I don't have still.

Struggling to unlock new endings as well now. Must be some obtuse ones.

I ran into the same problem, but fixed it by disabling MSI Afterburner. So you should try disabling any similar programs that hook into the process. After that I was able to stream and record fine with OBS.

I think someone should make a list of the "must-have" unlockable items.
I'm bored at work, so why not... I'm using the wiki's achievement list order, so I'm not listing by best unlocks or anything. I'm guessing you're trying to get at the "best unlocks" that will save runs for you, but there aren't really any of those aside from Stopwatch. These are all items that are useful to have in the item pool and worth going for the unlock for, either because they're always useful in every run or because they can be lifesavers in the right situation. Some of them are things you probably already unlocked but since I don't know what you have, I'll just list all my favorites.

Book of Revelations (Gives a soul heart but forces you to fight a horseman)
Noose (Flight)
Quarter (Money! Good because it can show up in pots and skulls)
Dr Fetus (Weaker than in the original but still a fun item)
Small Rock (Damage up)
Bandage (HP up, soul hearts)
Relic (Soul heart every 5 rooms)
Little Gish (Slowing tears)
Halo (All stats up)
Mr Mega (Bomb blast radius and damage)
D6 (Rerolls)
Parasite (Split shots)
Mom's Contact (Freezing tears)
Mom's Knife (Win the game)
Guardian Angel (Better orbitals)
Demon Baby (OK orbital)
Forget Me Now (Rerolls the floor)
D20 (Rerolls consumables)
Celtic Cross (Shield when hit, high chance to proc)
Curved Horn (Damage up, only trinket that does so)
Blue Candle (Attack item)
Epic Fetus (Win the game again)
Maggy's Faith (Eternal heart on every floor)
Judas' Tongue (All devil deals cost 1 heart)
The Left Hand (All chests are red)
Jera (Doubles all consumables in the room, including chests)
Perthro (One-time reroll)
Chaos Card (Instakill any enemy, including any boss)
Credit Card (All items in a shop or devil room are free)
Death's Touch (Damage up, changes your tears to badass scythes)
Technology .5 (Gives you a third eye that fires tech laser)
Eve's Mascara (Damage up, though with rather severe rate of fire and shot speed downgrades)
Fate (Flight)
???'s Only Friend (A familiar that works like Ludovico Technique)
Store Credit (One free store item)
Pandora's Box (Gives a random drop of a bunch of flies, an item or 2-4 soul hearts)
Blank Card (Allows you copy the card you're holding infinitely)
Undefined (Teleports you to special rooms)
Satanic Bible (Gives black hearts, doesn't seem to be any drawback)
Abaddon (Damage up at the cost of all red hearts)
The Mind/The Body/The Soul (Full map reveal/3 red hearts/3 soul hearts + enemy projectiles dodge you)
Blue Map (Secret room reveal)
There's Options (Every boss drops 2 items)
Black Candle (Curse immunity + 1 black heart)
Red Candle (Attack item)
Stopwatch (Slows every enemy in every room for the rest of the game, yes you read that right)
Wire Coat Hanger (Rate of fire up)
Ipecac (Win the game if you can aim)
Blood Bag (HP up)
Godhead (Massive tears upgrade in almost every way, like Sacred Heart)

I ran into the same problem, but fixed it by disabling MSI Afterburner. So you should try disabling any similar programs that hook into the process. After that I was able to stream and record fine with OBS.

How do I "disable" it? I didn't have it up. I'm going to try and finally activate quicksync, for some reason I couldn't do it in the last few months.

How do I "disable" it? I didn't have it up. I'm going to try and finally activate quicksync, for some reason I couldn't do it in the last few months.

You can customize which programs Afterburner hooks into, or just close the program entirely. But if you didn't have it running anyway it could be some other similar program like FRAPS or dxtory or something. You could also try disabling the Steam overlay.

I had the slowdown problem with a few games before while streaming with OBS, and closing these kinds of programs always fixed it for me.

You can customize which programs Afterburner hooks into, or just close the program entirely. But if you didn't have it running anyway it could be some other similar program like FRAPS or dxtory or something. You could also try disabling the Steam overlay.

I had the slowdown problem with a few games before while streaming with OBS, and closing these kinds of programs always fixed it for me.

Turns out it was raptr's fault.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I fucking love this game. I've put about an hour into it and its so addicting. Hope it keeps getting better.

There are people here who have put hundreds of hours in. It's awesome. My personal goal is to try and unlock something new every time I play. So far I'm doing pretty well, though I'm nowhere near the platinum god levels some people here are.

I fucking love this game. I've put about an hour into it and its so addicting. Hope it keeps getting better.
An hour?! I've clocked over 150 and I still haven't seen anything, and I just got to the point where the game truly opens up and becomes the most fun it can be (due to unlocking everything and thus upping the potential of every run).

At this point I'm kinda convinced that my copy just didn't come with the Black Lotus...

Are there any reset tips for the console/vita version like how it seems if you mess up on the PC you can alt-f4?
Those are different concepts. Restarting just means you hold R on the keyboard and it creates a whole new run without you having to back out to the menu. Using alt-f4 to save yourself as you die is just a way to cheat by abusing Steam Cloud. I presume you can do neither on console.

Rubius

Suicide King, done. Could not sleep so I decided to play a little Isaac. First run I almost became guppy, but died on the womb.

Didnt ragequit, went on a second run. Got a Guppy paw in a cursed room, and on the second floor got a credit card. Went to fight to boss, devil room and bam two guppy item and Wealth from Below. CASHING. Became Guppy and used Guppy Head to generate flies. Got the Small Rock, Piece of Coal, Cricket Head and a Seringue Damage up. Then on my last store, I got the Stop watch. Aw yeahhh. It activated on
Mom's Heart AND Isaac.
Man, I was lucky. I just had to hit him enough to generate one fly and it was about 10-15% of his HP going down.

Only challenge left is Waka Waka.

that feel when you're having a playthrough so op you don't even notice the difference when you become lord of the flies
i already was guppy though so maybe lord of the flies is just an alternative of becoming guppy ? never got that far in vanilla

Only challenge left is Waka Waka.

if you get some tears upgrade you can "cheese" it and play it like a regular playthrough by tapping your arrow keys

Chronoja

An hour?! I've clocked over 150 and I still haven't seen anything, and I just got to the point where the game truly opens up and becomes the most fun it can be (due to unlocking everything and thus upping the potential of every run).

At this point I'm kinda convinced that my copy just didn't come with the Black Lotus...

I hope you're checking your secret rooms for it because I'm pretty sure it's only in the Secret Room item pool. Plus don't forget you can increase those odds of finding it by getting an item pedestal in there via some means like a judgement card or, busted slot / blood machine and then rerolling it, forcing the pedestal to cycle through the secret room pool, which should be fairly small. Like if you can get multiple pedestals in one secret room it shouldn't take too many rerolls.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I hope you're checking your secret rooms for it because I'm pretty sure it's only in the Secret Room item pool. Plus don't forget you can increase those odds of finding it by getting an item pedestal in there via some means like a judgement card or, busted slot / blood machine and then rerolling it, forcing the pedestal to cycle through the secret room pool, which should be fairly small. Like if you can get multiple pedestals in one secret room it shouldn't take too many rerolls.

The Rebirth Wiki has a couple of PC seeds where the item's in the first floor secret room if all you're interested in is picking it up, 4YG3 TX2Y or FMF4 64XW (this one has kamakaze as the first item so it's easier to get to the room)

Of course I do. I access secret rooms on almost every floor in every run across 150 hours. It's kind of ridiculous that I haven't seen them. I saw Transcendence once... In a challenge... Damn it.

Does bringing Judgment actually work? I did bring him into the devil room and he did not adapt to the item pool for the room; he just used his regular pool...

The Rebirth Wiki has a couple of PC seeds where the item's in the first floor secret room if all you're interested in is picking it up, 4YG3 TX2Y or FMF4 64XW (this one has kamakaze as the first item so it's easier to get to the room)
I need it for my collection page, man, seeds don't work for that.

Chronoja

Of course I do. I access secret rooms on almost every floor in every run across 150 hours. It's kind of ridiculous that I haven't seen them. I saw Transcendence once... In a challenge... Damn it.

Does bringing Judgment actually work? I did bring him into the devil room and he did not adapt to the item pool for the room; he just used his regular pool...

I need it for my collection page, man, seeds don't work for that.

The item he drops initially will be from his pool but any rerolls on the item after that should draw from the item pool of the room the pedestal is in. For example,
killing the angel in angel rooms, who always drops a key piece
, rerolling will force it to cycle through the angel room items. It makes angel room items a tad easier to reroll since you are guaranteed to have at least 1 pedestal, best case, 2 or more.

I may be wrong though, maybe things changed and I'm just conflating it with the old Isaac, but I'm pretty sure it still works the same way.

I think you have to reroll for it to pick an item in said item pool though I may be wrong, someone else can confirm or deny.

SerTapTap

I think the hitbox for red poop is way too big, making a frustrating mechanic even worse.

I never get anywhere near it unless I've popped it. Carrion Queen is always my first target in boss rush too, hate that shit. Literally.

I think you have to reroll for it to pick an item in said item pool though I may be wrong, someone else can confirm or deny.

I think that's how it works. I know it definitely doesn't use the current room's pool, it's more like the boss/shop item pools combined (map, breakfast etc)

The Boat

It's not really trying anything, this is just McMillen's honest style. He's a manchild who can't stop himself from drawing buttholes and dicks on everything he touches.

He's also a genius game designer so you shouldn't let that turn you off.
If that's the case it's just a childish sense of humor then, but it doesn't make it any better, in Super Meat Boy he did nothing of the sort. I won't turn a blind eye just because he's supposed to be a genius.

Like I said, I enjoyed it despite the terrible art direction.

SerTapTap

If that's the case it's just a childish sense of humor then, but it doesn't make it any better, in Super Meat Boy he did nothing of the sort. I won't turn a blind eye just because he's supposed to be a genius.

Like I said, I enjoyed it despite the terrible art direction.

In Super Meat Boy you play a chunk of meat trailing blood all over the level and your girlfriend is a ball of rotten used bandages who gets kidnapped by a fetus in a mech who at one point sends a minion made of his own shit after you, who has bits of corn for eyes.

SMB is probably one of Ed's tamest games but it still certainly shows the "edgy" or whatever you want to call it part of Ed's style

Sendou

Just a quick question: does beating
Mega Satan
count as a
Dark Room/Chest
victory on the character selection screen?

SerTapTap

Just a quick question: does beating
Mega Satan
count as a
Dark Room/Chest
victory on the character selection screen?

No. You have to beat the "normal" boss before going to
Mega Satan
, then it counts. Do not touch the chest. I do not believe you can kill
Mega Satan
first then finish up the other boss so order counts.

dralla

Does hard mode alter item pools? Seems 90% of my hard runs I get bottom tier items every time. Oh hello again pageant boy!

Hard mode sucks. It decreases item drops and gave me garbage items. In my experience anyway. Normal is much more enjoyable.

--

I finally decided to try other characters besides Isaac. I was killing it with Samson. Azeal is great and all, but he's not as fun to use. I only tried Judas once but didn't enjoy him that much.

SerTapTap

Does the Wafer trick still let ??? get Devil Deal items for half a soul heart?

Hard mode sucks. It decreases item drops and gave me garbage items. In my experience anyway. Normal is much more enjoyable.

--

I finally decided to try other characters besides Isaac. I was killing it with Samson. Azeal is great and all, but he's not as fun to use. I only tried Judas once but didn't enjoy him that much.

Judas is fun, basically built to plow through the early floors, comes with a boss-killing item to start with so you can spend most health you get on any relevant devil deals (and the book charges fast enough you can use it on more annoying floors as long as you save enough rooms to charge it for the boss).

Cain is good too, lots of pickup drops and good gambling results due to his lucky item, but otherwise unremarkable. Only characters I don't like playing as are Maggie and the secret characters, which play more like punishments than anything. And Eve and Lazarus are okay at best.

Anustart

Gambling seems almost worthless. Best you can get from a slot is hp up and shell game is skatole. Cain gets enough drops to further its uselessness. That said, gambling on hard is even worse.

SerTapTap

Gambling seems almost worthless. Best you can get from a slot is hp up and shell game is skatole. Cain gets enough drops to further its uselessness. That said, gambling on hard is even worse.

I gamble any time I have a moderate stock of coins. It's great to be able to buy from the shop, Blood Bag drops aren't uncommon (slot machine + blood machine in the same room is super great), and it often gives you enough keys/bombs for the rest of the run if you have maybe 30+ coins to start

CassSept

I gamble any time I have a moderate stock of coins. It's great to be able to buy from the shop, Blood Bag drops aren't uncommon (slot machine + blood machine in the same room is super great), and it often gives you enough keys/bombs for the rest of the run if you have maybe 30+ coins to start

Yeah, that makes hard mode even worse than it already is -.-

What a kick in the nuts. I had a decent enough run that went completely nowhere and lost any opportunity to progress. Started strong with two Guppy items on Eve, including Dead Cat... and then big fat nothing interesting. Died on final two bosses of Boss Rush (Champion version) and then at about 1/8 of Satan's health. Sigh.

SerTapTap

Yeah, that makes hard mode even worse than it already is -.-

What a kick in the nuts. I had a decent enough run that went completely nowhere and lost any opportunity to progress. Started strong with two Guppy items on Eve, including Dead Cat... and then big fat nothing interesting. Died on final two bosses of Boss Rush (Champion version) and then at about 1/8 of Satan's health. Sigh.

IS gambling worse in Hard Mode too? BTW boss rush is always champions if Mom was a champion, in case you want to avoid it (honestly it didn't feel that different with all champions. Champ Carrion Queen and Gurdy are actually easier.)

Top Bottom