• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

dark bum now takes two hearts to convert and can now spawn spiders in place of soul/dark hearts

what the fuck
I don't get why single player games need to get "balance" patches like this. I'm pretty sure Edmund had a "no nerfs" stance at some point as well.

Mugsy

Shhh hard mode was dumb anyway at least it's dumb in a harmless way now

If these changes work out like I hope they do I may start doing hard mode rather than normal mode runs for casual fun. I just hated the low number of bombs and keys you would get that left you sometimes unable to get treasure rooms or leaving behind marked rocks. More champions makes normal rooms actually difficult and the alternate bosses add more variety.

SerTapTap

Hard mode is more alternate bosses? Because as I said a while ago, I am SO BORED of Monstro 1&2, Larry Junior etc. That's a good feature if true. If it's just more champion bosses then meh. Actually lots of champion bosses are easier, black Gurdy is a joke.

Mugsy

Hard mode is more alternate bosses? Because as I said a while ago, I am SO BORED of Monstro 1&2, Larry Junior etc. That's a good feature if true. If it's just more champion bosses then meh. Actually lots of champion bosses are easier, black Gurdy is a joke.

It is more champion bosses I believe (I may be wrong), sorry for the inexact wording. Some of them are easier but others are harder. I think the change in behavior makes them more difficult and interesting even if their strength is the same.

Ferrio

Banned
Some items need some love though. Deadsea scrolls and crack the sky, both are super useless. Both should be 1 room recharge.

Yes. Crack the sky/Dead sea has always been horrible, not sure why they didn't put both on very low charges.

dark bum now takes two hearts to convert and can now spawn spiders in place of soul/dark hearts

Wow goes from one of the best items to worst? It's like a devil dealed Sissy Longlegs that eats your hearts?!

dickroach

ew. new Dark Bum stinks. I'm stinking with 1.02 till the update improves the game.

I got Stompy on basement 1, and on the next floor the adorable mane and everything disappeared. fix that

SerTapTap

Unless the chance is 50-50 or in favor of spiders I wouldn't panic too much about Dark Bum. If it's a 25% chance or less to spawn spiders it's still decent

ew. new Dark Bum stinks. I'm stinking with 1.02 till the update improves the game.

I got Stompy on basement 1, and on the next floor the adorable mane and everything disappeared. fix that

Cosmetic items go into different "slots" and Stompy seems to be very easy to override. I've had Pagent Boy override lots of cool headwear too

KarmaCow

Attack Spiders aren't bad, there are definitely times where I'd take it over more soul hearts.

I'd want more than a single spider for 2 hearts though.

Is it possible to unlock achievements in Steam Offline mode?

Yea I unlocked a few when my internet was out for a day. It unlocked while I was playing too, didn't have to wait to reconnect AFAIK.

Mugsy

Yes. Crack the sky/Dead sea has always been horrible, not sure why they didn't put both on very low charges.

Dead Sea Scrolls being random means it is always going to be bad, it is a more interesting dud than many other bad items at least. Crack the sky needs more reliability in hitting enemies and dealing damage to be good, low charges would just distract from the real problem. Maybe have the beams not be random and hit enemies while lowering the number of beams, max 1 beam per enemy?

Nerfing Krampus head really sucks. Should have just kept it the same charge rate but made it spawn less if they really thought it was OP. I already didn't take it half the time on account of having a better spacebar item anyway.

hbkdx12

nah, you can't. for those challenges it's easiest to use a seed that has Lil Brimstone showing up in the basement

damn that stinks. Not a fan of lil brimstone for the most part but is there a forum/wiki/etc that lists seeds with easily accessible items or something?

Also, didn't the last patch (PS4) make it so that Dark bum needed two hearts to convert a soul heart. Pretty sure the game launched with it being 1:1. The chance of spawning spider sucks though

Is it possible to unlock achievements in Steam Offline mode?

Even if it's not, it doesn't check for version every time you run it. You could make a copy of your install, let it update, then copy the old version back in. It'll stick around until you manually force a check or they push another update.

Fuck me. I just did a Cain run through the Dark Room. I had Daddy Long Legs, Brimstone, Holy Mantle and Tammy's Head.

I managed to lose one heart once in the Dark Room in one of these rooms with all the ghosts that teleport.

So close.

Nillansan

Even if it's not, it doesn't check for version every time you run it. You could make a copy of your install, let it update, then copy the old version back in. It'll stick around until you manually force a check or they push another update.

Amazing, I didn't know that! Thank you!

SamVimes

How many spacebar items were actually stronger than Krampus' head? Can't think of anything besides d6 and in some situations book of rev/satanic bible, blank card+some good card and MAYBE book of belial or some op shit like tammy's head with brimstone.

How many spacebar items were actually stronger than Krampus' head? Can't think of anything besides d6 and in some situations book of rev/satanic bible, blank card+some good card and MAYBE book of belial or some op shit like tammy's head with brimstone.
There's no usable as strong as the Tammy/Brimstone combo IMO. There are few bosses it doesn't one shot, it's radial and you can use it once per room.

The biggest issue is obviously its occurence rate.

SamVimes

There's no usable as strong as the Tammy/Brimstone combo IMO. There are few bosses it doesn't one shot, it's radial and you can use it once per room.

The biggest issue is obviously its occurence rate.

It's just that you can find combos like that everywhere. Unicorn stump + midas touch is really great as well, but as a standalone item krampus' head was far better than almost everything else. I'm fine with the nerf.

Joe Molotov

Thanks for nerfing all the best items.

Y8Zvt0X.jpg

In my opinion,
  • D6
  • D10
  • The Nail
  • Book of Belial
  • Candle
  • Guppy's Head
  • Tammy's Head (sometimes)
  • Blank Card (often)
Probably a couple of others. Krampus was marginal before. Now it's just a non-starter to me.

Newt

In my opinion,
  • D6
  • D10
  • The Nail
  • Book of Belial
  • Candle
  • Guppy's Head
  • Blank Card (often)
Probably a couple of others. Krampus was marginal before. Now it's just a non-starter to me.
Satanic bible for sure.

Book of revelations? Maybe.

aku:jiki

- Fix hard mode affecting room drops other than hearts

Woah, woah, hold the phone, are they saying they made hard mode fun? Megaton!

- Fix Devil Deal exploit with half soul heart

Come on, no one asked for that. Going down to half a soul heart is a massive risk, it should come with a reward!

- Change Lil' Brimstone deal to 2 hearts
- Change Head of Krampus to 6 charges

I don't get these. Neither item was overpowered the way they were.

the halo of flies only gives you two pretty flies, no? and you can't have more than 3 orbitals anyway. what am i missing?
You can actually have four with the golden fly one, can't remember the name.

Ferrio

Banned
In my opinion,
  • D6
  • D10
  • The Nail
  • Book of Belial
  • Candle
  • Guppy's Head
  • Blank Card (often)

I don't see how most of those could compare to the head.

-The dice. That's a given.
-Nail. No. Slight damage up, break rocks, and a heart. Big deal. It's a devil deal usually too so there's that.
-Belial. Yes. I'll go with this since it has a 100% chance to spawn devil deals now I believe.
-Candle. They're even at best. Krampus head can clear a very troublesoom room within seconds, candle you still have to work at it.
-Guppy's head. Not even close. A few flies you can't control that even sometimes end up getting you hurt.
-Tammy's head. No. This item is only good in rare synergies.
-Blank Card. No. Again only good in synergies. You can lug this thing around the whole game and not see a good card to use it on.

Krampus's head was just too good for several reason:

1. Low charge count. So you don't have to really save it for worst case scenarios.
2. Huge damage. It can single handedly oblierate rooms and bosses.
3. 0 cost devil deal.
4. No drawbacks at all. There's no required synergy, there's never a time you can't use it, or any negative aspects at it at all.

Haunted

I still haven't closed my Isaac from earlier today so I'm still on the previous patch.

what up you Dark Bum peasants

oCBWG9U.jpg

Can confirm that Dark Bum also spawns enemy black spiders.
Honestly, it's more in line with other bums now.

I kept hoping for a Pyromaniac upgrade in the Suicide King challenge before I realised that you can only get it from a treasure room. ;_; Not sure how to ever beat that fucking thing.

aku:jiki

They really should've just made Dark Bum rarer, Brimstone level crazy-rare if they really needed to. It just sounds like a useless troll item now.

They really should've just made Dark Bum rarer, Brimstone level crazy-rare if they really needed to. It just sounds like a useless troll item now.

It could also be removed from the normal item pool. And Krampus Head would be fine as well if it was more rare. There was nothing wrong with Lil' Brim. Now it costs as much as a nomral Brim, only weaker and without synergies. Makes no sense.

SerTapTap

It could also be removed from the normal item pool. And Krampus Head would be fine as well if it was more rare. There was nothing wrong with Lil' Brim. Now it costs as much as a nomral Brim, only weaker and without synergies. Makes no sense.

Yeah, it's also much harder to use than normal brim too, unless isaac is already using a charge shot of the same or longer windup time. It was fine at 1 heart.

Top Bottom