• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Seems the PS4 patch is out in US and mentions something about teleporting enemies. Could be nice.

Can anybody check if Dead Boy/Platinum God unlock now? Reports on reddit mention that some trophies are still broken.

EDIT: Also, it seems the Dark Bum nerf isn't that bad:

So, after the new patch, for the sake of SCIENCE, I decided to do a few runs to see just how bad the nerf actually was, as spawning endless spiders would potentially dethrone him from top tier status....
...Nope. Endless spiders are a myth, same as the 2 hearts for 1 pay out myth. (He still pays out consistently at 1.5:1) Dark Bum's nerf is just a slight hit to his efficiency, if even that.
Out of the course of two normal runs in which Dark Bum was successfully acquired, the first in the Chest (Extremely late, and lackluster), and the second on Depths 1, Dark Bum paid out the following amount of times and with the following:
Run #1: 5 Times (Too small of a sample size honestly) Payout: 5 Soul Hearts, 0 Black Hearts, 0, Blue Spiders, 0 Enemy Spiders.
Run #2: 32 Times Payout: 20(Potentially +1) Soul Hearts, 5 Black Hearts, 5(Potentially -1) Blue Spiders, 2 Enemy Spiders. (Unfortunately, in the last payment, I was rammed by a charging Famine at the same time, and can't really tell if Dark Bum spawned a blue spider, or if I simply landed on the spirit heart spawned as he paid out, so for purposes I'll count it as a blue spider.)
That's a positive payout about 78.125% of the time, a "neutral" (Blue spider) payout 15.625% of the time, and a "bad" (If you have Leech or the likes, or are breaking the game, this honestly isn't necessarily a bad thing). That's almost 80% of the time that you get a desirable payout

SerTapTap

Wow, PS4 patch out quick. Seems certification isn't too bad on PS4 after all.

They do scale with damage. They are actually really good if you have decent damage.

They still seem REALLY bad, like, not significantly more damage than a (scaled) tear bad. Which is incredibly terrible because you can't spam bombs like you can tears unless you want to blow yourself to pieces.

Zeth

I've been avoiding The Lost unlocks and after watching so many suffer through them, I'm not sure I'm even going to bother - I'm pretty damn content with regular hard mode runs and filling out my stamp unlocks that way, despite not being much of a completionist. Ultimate podcast game too.

I think Isaac fans should definitely check out Vlambeer's Nuclear Throne. It was my go-to rogue style shooter before I got sucked in to Rebirth. I have to say though, the 30fps cap is painful upon going back to it (think it was an engine limitation or something).

Leezard

Wow, PS4 patch out quick. Seems certification isn't too bad on PS4 after all.

They still seem REALLY bad, like, not significantly more damage than a (scaled) tear bad. Which is incredibly terrible because you can't spam bombs like you can tears unless you want to blow yourself to pieces.
Yes, certainly. It's far from the same effectiveness as in the old game, still.

saturnine

started a run this morning, managed to find dark bum and head of krampus. That will probably be our last trip before the nerf hits. let's enjoy this the best we can my little buddies :(

PC patch 1.032

* Fix teleport AI for Lump, Parabite, Loki, Blue Baby, and others

* Prevent Steam achievements for modded games

* Fix seeded run exploit

* Fix some impossible rooms in Cellar, Womb/Utero, and Chest

* Fix Secret room placement on some floors

* Fix Boss room placement on XL floors

SerTapTap

Uh wait is PS4 getting the lump update or the one before it? Now that that's coming I don't even want to touch the game before the impossible room and lump fixes are in. I also noticed some secret rooms seem to not be where they should be but assumed I was just being an idiot. Do we know the details of that bug?

saturnine

does anyone have a list of seeds for the Lost hard mode runs (vita or ps4) ? I'm losing my mind with the amount of resets needed to start a proper run

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
does anyone have a list of seeds for the Lost hard mode runs (vita or ps4) ? I'm losing my mind with the amount of resets needed to start a proper run

This is a PC seed so I'm not sure it will work, but it's the only one off the top of my head.

ABYT
DMSM

Details:
Gnawed Leaf on first floor, Guillotine on second, Unicorn Stump on fourth. Holy Mantle and Daddy Long Legs in the Boss Rush.

Leezard

You can with a glitch. But it's getting patched whenever the next patch hits.

In normal runs as well? I knew about the challenge one. In that case, I should get my Meat Boy complete with a seed I think.. Trying to complete it is tedious.

edit: my steam updated so I guess it's too late.

In normal runs as well? I knew about the challenge one. In that case, I should get my Meat Boy complete with a seed I think.. Trying to complete it is tedious.

edit: my steam updated so I guess it's too late.

Haven't done it myself but from what I read people have been using it for that and Lost runs especially.

For SMB and SBG try the Monster Manuel/Sharp Plug method. takes a while to set-up, but it's definitely more consistent than hoping for Book of Rev runs that don't screw you.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

I think the glitch is patched on PC. For Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, the best way is with Monster Manual, Sharp Plug, Pyromaniac, and any explosive item (Ipecac, Kamikaze, Dr./Epic Fetus, Pyro). And more than two heart containers, I guess. Just use Sharp Plug and keep using the Manual, healing yourself with Pyromaniac until you get both.

Edit: Wafer and Cancer also help.

Leezard

Haven't done it myself but from what I read people have been using it for that and Lost runs especially.

For SMB and SBG try the Monster Manuel/Sharp Plug method. takes a while to set-up, but it's definitely more consistent than hoping for Book of Rev runs that don't screw you.

I think the glitch is patched on PC. For Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, the best way is with Monster Manual, Sharp Plug, Pyromaniac, and any explosive item (Ipecac, Kamikaze, Dr./Epic Fetus, Pyro). And more than two heart containers, I guess. Just use Sharp Plug and keep using the Manual, healing yourself with Pyromaniac until you get both.

Edit: Wafer and Cancer also help.

I guess I'll give it a try, thanks. I got tired of doing it the "normal" way when I had the run wrecked by conquest/double trouble boss/ the fallen a couple of times in a row.

saturnine

You know that you can't unlock anything with seeds, right?

well yeah, I wanted to use the glitch before it's too late. some of the unlocks are so mind numbingly boring / totally luck based (looking at you the Lost, meatboy and bandage girl)

This is a PC seed so I'm not sure it will work, but it's the only one off the top of my head.

ABYT
DMSM

Details:
Gnawed Leaf on first floor, Guillotine on second, Unicorn Stump on fourth. Holy Mantle and Daddy Long Legs in the Boss Rush.

thanks, I'll try it.

I managed to find the knife once before getting killed like a dumbass. I was so pissed I forgot to look at the seed before restarting of course.
Bah, maybe with the pickup drops seemingly fixed with the patch, it won't be as much of a pain.

aku:jiki

What is this about bombing special rooms, are they kidding? Are they just fumbling in the dark to find ways to make the game harder and less fun? Stop fucking around Edmund pls.

I don't understand what they would've been doing messing with the wall code to create the glitch... Hopefully they were just working on trying to fix the nonsense where a challenge room will re-close bomb openings sometimes even though the challenge is already cleared.

Novocaine

They do scale with damage. They are actually really good if you have decent damage.

That's not really any consolation. It takes 1 heart of damage off if you get hit by your own attack, and takes dozens of bombs (at least on hard) to kill your average boss. That's ridiculous.

I agree that it was a strong item in the first game, maybe too strong, but the balance pendulum has swung all the way to the opposite side here. Being able to destroy rocks and blow up doors/secret rooms without using a limited supply of bombs is not worth the trade off of the godawful damage this item does any more.

SerTapTap

I don't think that's a good change.

See my last post, it's not only a bad change, it's game breakingly bad. It better be a bug.

What's sad is when you teleport into a secret room the game ALWAYS breaks open a wall for you. So somehow even the game's failsafe is failing.

Stoze

Pretty sure the secret room adjacent to curse room/item room thing is a bug, along with teleporting into the secret room and not being able to get out.

Guys, I found the real secret megaton fix in the patch!

Jnjv1if.jpg

Also, when ??? teleported he landed an inch to my side every time.

I actually hurt myself MORE than before because I stupidly tried to navigate around them, and nudged the edges every time I did, instead of just shooting them. I sacrificed like 5 hearts to get that screenshot!

But at least Ipecac/Fetus builds can progress through the room at all now.

Stet

Banned
I actually hurt myself MORE than before because I stupidly tried to navigate around them, and nudged the edges every time I did, instead of just shooting them. I sacrificed like 5 hearts to get that screenshot!

The hitboxes on those red poops are ridiculous.

Newt

Red poops are the most difficult thing about the boss rush room.

Anyways, I still stand by my original thoughts.

Boss Rush > Exploring every room

SerTapTap

Never navigate around those things unless it's a straight line. Awful hitboxes

I've never had carrion queen live long enough for it to be a big deal. But it seems that half the time I get Champion mom + champion rush, and champion carrion queen is super easy.

Haunted

Yes! Carrion Queen that early is the secret hardest thing.

Also Gish and Monstro 2 having ridiculous amounts of health.

hbkdx12

The cage has too much HP (granted he doesn't show up in the boss rush room)

but everytime i run into double cages in the chest i'm guaranteed to lose a sizeable amount of hearts unless i'm ridiculously OP

SerTapTap

The cage has too much HP (granted he doesn't show up in the boss rush room)

but everytime i run into double cages in the chest i'm guaranteed to lose a sizeable amount of hearts unless i'm ridiculously OP

And what's up with that earthquake attack, sometimes the lines zip straight into me when I'm vertically way away from the source.

Top Bottom