• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Ferrio

Banned
I think the biggest disappointment wasn't removing Curse of the Blind.

You had 1 job to improve this game substantially!

Ronik

I just got a Book of Revelations as a starting item on Eden so I thought "wow, I might finally get a full Bandage Girl/Meat Boy".

Then I forgot to use the book on Womb 1. Oh well.

SerTapTap

Yeah that's pretty excessive. May as well remove all the damn pedestal items from the floor

I just got a Book of Revelations as a starting item on Eden so I thought "wow, I might finally get a full Bandage Girl/Meat Boy".

Then I forgot to use the book on Womb 1. Oh well.

Thought the Harbinger guarantee was a passive effect, though Headless/Conquest can still screw you up

aku:jiki

I think Edmund is still in discussion with the streamers/racers about stuff like that (as was mentioned in the NL interview, I think). Hopefully they can talk him into dropping Blind.

Otherwise I'm going to end up getting a mod with the single purpose of removing that dumb shit. I'm so far beyond sick of having runs ruined by a Blind curse on the second floor, destroying that imperative devil deal and forcing me into shitty angel rooms. There's nothing interesting about the "challenge" it provides! It just makes me sigh and hold R the second I see it.

Ferrio

Banned
I think Edmund is still in discussion with the streamers/racers about stuff like that (as was mentioned in the NL interview, I think). Hopefully they can talk him into dropping Blind.

Otherwise I'm going to end up getting a mod with the single purpose of removing that dumb shit. I'm so far beyond sick of having runs ruined by a Blind curse on the second floor, destroying that imperative devil deal and forcing me into shitty angel rooms. There's nothing interesting about the "challenge" it provides! It just makes me sigh and hold R the second I see it.

See I don't even get why there has to be a dicussion.

You just take one look at it and go "Ya... maybe that wasn't such a good idea".

You either take items on blind faith that might totally ruin your run of who knows how many minutes OR an entire floor is null and void. Neither is interesting, challenging or fun. This goes for casual, speed, or racing runs.

dLMN8R

In my opinion,
  • D6
  • D10
  • The Nail
  • Book of Belial
  • Candle
  • Guppy's Head
  • Tammy's Head (sometimes)
  • Blank Card (often)
Probably a couple of others. Krampus was marginal before. Now it's just a non-starter to me.

Tammy's Head with Azazel (or any other Brimstone variety) absolutely destroys. The fact that it recharges in one room is also crazy.

Basically, it's so powerful that you can just pop in a room, fire it, destroy everything in the room, it recharges, then move onto the next room.

Aldebaran

I think there should be OP items, they are fun and this is not a multiplayer game where everything needs to be balanced. Fixing teleporting enemies and impossible rooms should be the priority imho.

You either take items on blind faith that might totally ruin your run of who knows how many minutes OR an entire floor is null and void. Neither is interesting, challenging or fun. This goes for casual, speed, or racing runs.
I think the problem is that they're not taking the whole game into account with some of these nerfs. They seem to think that Blind makes sense because, hey, the item room could have Polyphemus and the golden chest could have Cricket's Head while the devil room has Brimstone and Abaddon...but they're forgetting that there's 350 items and the odds of that are extremely low.

Same issue as with the D6 nerf. It was already nerfed by the doubling of items in the pool, and the fact that full mapping is nigh impossible to get combined with the fact that the map is much harder to predict now, making good rerolls way harder to find! The item itself didn't need changing at all, with all of these other changes. Much like Blind doesn't need to exist at all, because the odds of an OP build are very low to begin with.

Tammy's Head with Azazel (or any other Brimstone variety) absolutely destroys. The fact that it recharges in one room is also crazy.

Basically, it's so powerful that you can just pop in a room, fire it, destroy everything in the room, it recharges, then move onto the next room.
We know what it does, man. The fact that it synergizes well with one of the top 10 rarest items in the game doesn't make it an overall good item.

SerTapTap

I think there should be OP items, they are fun and this is not a multiplayer game where everything needs to be balanced. Fixing teleporting enemies and impossible rooms should be the priority imho.

Yeah, remove the shit that makes the game unfun first, then worry about the stuff that makes the game "too" fun...if you must. Hard mode fix is decent, for example.

Ferrio

Banned
Same issue as with the D6 nerf. It was already nerfed by the doubling of items in the pool, and the fact that full mapping is nigh impossible to get combined with the fact that the map is much harder to predict now, making good rerolls way harder to find! The item itself didn't need changing at all, with all of these other changes. Much like Blind doesn't need to exist at all, because the odds of an OP build are very low to begin with.

The D6 nerf was absolutely undone with the existence of the sharp plug.

Well, glad I beat 82 percent of the game because before this patch, I am not playing it again until some of this shit is fixed. Seriously, some of those nerfs were uncalled for.

autoduelist

So another terrible day of BoI

1) The stupid room in the Chest that has damage bulb things surrounding each exit that Sir Tap Tap always complains about (but I usually avoid) finally hurt me. Not a big deal, except I was next to the boss room and about to get another attempt at seeing if hte the No Damage trophy popped. That was my only damage. That stupid room.

2) I found a library with D6. For the record, if you fly somewhere with the bible, then drop the bible, you lose flight. Which means if you're behind a lock w/o a key, you'll need to quit/restart.

3) I abused D6 and Habit and reloaded the library a few times -- picking up every book each time to remove them from the pool. My last reroll I got a non-book (specifically, the familiar that fakes enemies out). I assume this means I exhausted the library item pool... except Monster Manual never spawned. I have beaten everything with everyone... is this another glitched unlock on vita?

At this point, I think Monster Manual unlock, Godhead unlock, and my Dead Boy trophy all glitched out on me. FFS. Absolutely infuriating.

Damn, Krampus will be way less useful since 6 is basically in "boss only" territory. Not sure little brim is worth 2 hearts either. He just went from one of the best 1 heart items to one of the worst 2 heart items.

That is a ridiculous nerf of krampus. Huge overkill.

Nerfing Krampus head really sucks. Should have just kept it the same charge rate but made it spawn less if they really thought it was OP. I already didn't take it half the time on account of having a better spacebar item anyway.

Same here.
I'm really sad about Dark Bum though. He was amazing.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just abused the seeding glitch to beat the chest with the (character spoiler)
Lost
and I don't even feel bad.

CassSept

Wow I've been trying to clear everything on hard first and then revert to normal for fun but there's such a huge difference now, feels like I'm being flooded with items. I don't need to hoard keys! I've got bombs! I actually have enough cash to buy something and deposit some into the bank! It's fun!

Fantastic change really, hard mode was too annoying before, now after 1.5 run the difference is obvious.

Haunted

I refuse to close Isaac and download the patch before beating these last two fucking challenges, I'll just leave it running forever if I have to!

Haunted

PATCH NOTES WHERE
image.php

Improve Steam Cloud sync
Fix random disconnect for Sony controllers
Fix crash on trinket pool reset
Fix Gemini + BFFS
Fix Technology 2 + Chocolate Milk
Eden's start items are seeded more reliably
Fix collectible spawn position for There's Options and Negative
Fix Holy Mantle continue exploit
Fix seed exploit for challenge runs
Fix hard mode affecting room drops other than hearts
Fix P2 blood donation exploit
Fix P2 anti-gravity
Fix P2 being able to use bombs
Fix Devil Deal exploit with half soul heart
Fix invincible Carrion Queen
Fix Blue Baby restart issue
Fix Haunt not invincible for the first few frames
Fix 60fps interpolation for Cube of Meat 2
Fix picked up item disappearing when exiting during pickup animation
Limit Halo of Flies count to 10
Change Lil' Brimstone deal to 2 hearts
Change Ticking Spider collision damage to half a heart
Change Head of Krampus to 6 charges
Improve Dark Bum mechanics (i.e. we nerfed the fuck out of it)

image.php

SeanR1221

I have to admit, I'm still kinda clueless on this game.

- I defeated mom once
- now when I play I always seem to die pretty early. Like 4-5 floors in
- I finally figured out you touch the pills to use them (vita)
- I unlocked two characters but I stick with Isaac for now
- I know certain walls are bombable but bombs are so rare I hardly ever test walls
- half the time I get some crappy item combo and still only have 3 hearts by the 4th floor

Ferrio

Banned
I have to admit, I'm still kinda clueless on this game.

- I defeated mom once
- now when I play I always seem to die pretty early. Like 4-5 floors in
- I finally figured out you touch the pills to use them (vita)
- I unlocked two characters but I stick with Isaac for now
- I know certain walls are bombable but bombs are so rare I hardly ever test walls
- half the time I get some crappy item combo and still only have 3 hearts by the 4th floor

Try to secure devil deals/god rooms. To do this try not to take any red heart damage. If you haven't taken any red heart damage (soul/black heart damage is fine) your chances of a devil deal can be as high as 100%.

Also keep the eye out for tinted rocks. They'll have an X on them and sometimes be off colored. If you bomb them you'll usually get soul hearts, sometimes keys/chests/bombs etc.

Bombable walls lead to the Secret and Super Secret room. You don't actually have to test all walls, they both have rules to where they actually are on the map. Secret rooms will be surrounded by 3 or 4 rooms. Super secret rooms are only adjacent to one room. Neither will be connected to boss rooms, So look for spots that satisfy that on the map.

SeanR1221

Try to secure devil deals/god rooms. To do this try not to take any red heart damage. If you haven't taken any red heart damage (soul/black heart damage is fine) your chances of a devil deal can be as high as 100%.

Also keep the eye out for tinted rocks. They'll have an X on them and sometimes be off colored. If you bomb them you'll usually get soul hearts, sometimes keys/chests/bombs etc.

Bombable walls lead to the Secret and Super Secret room. You don't actually have to test all walls, they both have rules to where they actually are on the map. Secret rooms will be surrounded by 3 or 4 rooms. Super secret rooms are only adjacent to one room. Neither will be connected to boss rooms, So look for spots that satisfy that on the map.

All really great tips thanks :)

Stoze

Kind of disappointed in those patch changes. I don't really see why they nerfed those items instead of decreasing the drop rate. That's the real problem with Krampus Head, I get it like every other run. It's an insanely good item, so just make it as rare as Pyromaniac or Black Lotus or something and put some more items in Krampus' pool.

Also isn't this the second time they nerfed Dark Bum?

I'm kind of glad they nerfed Krampus' Head, to be honest. It showed up way to often considering how powerful it was, and it's not a very interesting item. I think it would've been better if they just nerfed its drop rate though.

Can someone explain to me how Sheol, or whatever after Mom's Heart, appears? I've killed Mom 3 times now and I think on my second successful run the devil room appeared but by then I went to the chest. Now last night I had a third successful run but the devil room didn't appear. So it's all random?

Watching Dick Hammer and he's pretty damn grumpy about the patch, as is the chat. He got even grumpier when Dark Bum spawned a spider that instantly hit him as he walked into the next room.

The D6 nerf was absolutely undone with the existence of the sharp plug.
For hardcore D6 usage, sure, but for casual rerolling without attempting to break or perform any other types of shenanigans, it's been made pretty inert. It used to be a lot of fun to try to predict the map and maximize your rerolls (which would only really mean 2-3 rerolls per floor), but with all the changes the only safe bet is one reroll per floor. It's just less fun to use for other things than breaks.

Super secret rooms are only adjacent to one room. Neither will be connected to boss rooms, So look for spots that satisfy that on the map.
To add to that, the super secret will always be as close as it can be to the boss room.

(Which makes the Blue Map the best map because it kind of gives you full mapping since you can see in which direction the boss will be.)

Question about the end of the game.
I beat mom on a regular play through, was that the end of the game? I get the impression that Im missing a lot of content. I've just been trying to do the challenges.

Leezard

Question about the end of the game.
I beat mom on a regular play through, was that the end of the game? I get the impression that Im missing a lot of content. I've just been trying to do the challenges.

No, there's a lot more content. If you do normal runs you can proceed further, beyond the depths, now.

CassSept

Can someone explain to me how Sheol, or whatever after Mom's Heart, appears? I've killed Mom 3 times now and I think on my second successful run the devil room appeared but by then I went to the chest. Now last night I had a third successful run but the devil room didn't appear. So it's all random?

It appears every time after you kill Mom's Heart 11 times. Until then you can only get it if Devil Room procs.

hbkdx12

What's with all these item nerfs? If they're going to do that can they at least upgrade Dr. Fetus to do some fucking damage? That item is a total piece of shit now.
No kidding. There are lots of low tier enemies that need 2 or 3 bombs to kill. Wtf. I had an eve run where I had curse of the blind and ended up taking it. I was so pissed because I had some good dps before i ran into it

One of northernlions I heard him say that the bombs scale with damage upgrade but I haven't really found this to be true. Most things just take too long to die considering your chucking bombs at everything

Leezard

No kidding. There are lots of low tier enemies that need 2 or 3 bombs to kill. Wtf. I had an eve run where I had curse of the blind and ended up taking it. I was so pissed because I had some good dps before i ran into it

One of northernlions I heard him say that the bombs scale with damage upgrade but I haven't really found this to be true. Most things just take too long to die considering your chucking bombs at everything
They do scale with damage. They are actually really good if you have decent damage.

Top Bottom