• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CassSept

Yeah Gish and Monstro II have a lot of hp but since the area is large they aren't really the hardest phase. Not as bad as The Bloat, but that's because he is the hardest boss overall of the old bosses.

What really is the worst is Curse of Darkness. Randomly running into red poop YAY!

The cage has too much HP (granted he doesn't show up in the boss rush room)

but everytime i run into double cages in the chest i'm guaranteed to lose a sizeable amount of hearts unless i'm ridiculously OP

Try triple cage room. WTF!

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yeah Gish and Monstro II have a lot of hp but since the area is large they aren't really the hardest phase. Not as bad as The Bloat, but that's because he is the hardest boss overall of the old bosses.

I love getting the Bloat to take out the Mask and Heart.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yes! Carrion Queen that early is the secret hardest thing.

Also Gish and Monstro 2 having ridiculous amounts of health.

Carrion Queen that early is the hidden secret to great success without any damage items. Other bosses get hurt by the red poop too, let it lay a few and lead everybody into them.

so, i haven't played this since the first couple of weeks it came out and i just noticed something...

could you always backtrack to other rooms after finishing the boss of the floor? I don't think i ever did that before but i noticed that i could when i picked up the game again today. I probably never noticed it before so im preemptively letting you know that im probably an idiot but i just wanted to see if you could always do this o_O

so, i haven't played this since the first couple of weeks it came out and i just noticed something...

could you always backtrack to other rooms after finishing the boss of the floor? I don't think i ever did that before but i noticed that i could when i picked up the game again today. I probably never noticed it before so im preemptively letting you know that im probably an idiot but i just wanted to see if you could always do this o_O
Yep, always could. Excepting the boss fight in Depths 2, of course.

Just had a lovely unconventional Isaac run with Petrified Poop powering Magic Fingers, no deals with anyone, a crapload of HP upgrades and Lord of the Flies. Even better, beating Mom's Heart gave me ???!

aku:jiki

I've played about five hard runs now and while it's a lot more fun and probably my new difficulty of choice, I kind of have to wonder why it exists. Non-heart drops are now about the same as they are on normal, meaning I've ended all 5 of my runs tonight with at least 10+ of each consumable, and red heart drops were always useless for those of us who rock nothing but soul heart builds. I'm having fun with it and probably won't drop back to normal, but hard earns a big shrug from me now.

Also, Hyper Guppy needs to be a thing in the DLC! Just found all five pieces in a run again, it feels so wasteful that it does nothing...

SerTapTap

Carrion Queen that early is the hidden secret to great success without any damage items. Other bosses get hurt by the red poop too, let it lay a few and lead everybody into them.

If I didn't have damage items I probably wouldn't make it to the boss rush. I only ever go to it if I'm OP. Though I guess I'll have to do it just for unlocks soon.

Mom is the only boss where you can't do this. Well, and (secret boss spoiler)
Mega Satan
. Was always like this, but there's rarely reason to unless you want to go pick up hearts , gamble etc.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Trudged through an extremely low damage Soy Milk run, missed boss rush, beat It Lives.... realized I picked up the wrong picture. THE BINDING OF ISAAC: REBIRTH.

Mom is the only boss where you can't do this. Well, and (secret boss spoiler)
Mega Satan
. Was always like this, but there's rarely reason to unless you want to go pick up hearts , gamble etc.
If I've got a nearly charged D6 and run across the boss room before the item room, I'll usually pop in to see if the boss item is worth rerolling.

ElTopo

Banned
Had an AMAZING run with Eden. Got the mysterious paper and a few other achievements. Came painfully close to getting a complete bandage girl. I just needed one more upgrade to get her. But at level 3 she's extremely effective, just annihilates most bosses.

autoduelist

If I've got a nearly charged D6 and run across the boss room before the item room, I'll usually pop in to see if the boss item is worth rerolling.

I try to pop into every boss room ASAP with 1 charge needed. The kill gets me my charge. However, I save that charge for the devil/angel room if it appears, since unless I have goat's head you only have one shot at that.

If I don't use the charge there, or earn more during the floor, I evaluate boss/store/treasure room/secret room/misc items for best use of charge(s).

David___

Banned
I was going for Godhead and this just happened on the 2nd floor.

faoIxAv.jpg

autoduelist

Godhead unlocked for me and Monster Manual isn't an unlock. Can't speak on the trophies since all of them unlocked for me with no issues pre-patch.

Weird -- according to this wiki page:
http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Manuel

you need to complete Sheol with Judas to unlock (which I've done), but I just noticed that's not how you spell Manual.

BUT...as I mentioned recently, I found a library and used the D6 3 times and never saw the manual. I picked up ev3 of the 5 books each time (to remove it from the pool, two spots required keys I didn't have) and on my last reroll I got the punching bag familiar (which means I cleared the library pool, I believe)... and I never saw the Monster Manual.

In fact, in all my countless hours, I've never seen it.

Any ideas?

David___

Banned
Weird -- according to this wiki page:
http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Manuel

you need to complete Sheol with Judas to unlock (which I've done), but I just noticed that's not how you spell Manual.

BUT...as I mentioned recently, I found a library and used the D6 3 times and never saw the manual. I picked up ev3 of the 5 books each time (to remove it from the pool, two spots required keys I didn't have) and on my last reroll I got the punching bag familiar (which means I cleared the library pool, I believe)... and I never saw the Monster Manual.

In fact, in all my countless hours, I've never seen it.

Any ideas?

You sure that's the correct wiki?

This one says its in the Treasure room pool
http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Monster_Manual

autoduelist

You sure that's the correct wiki?

This one says its in the Treasure room pool
http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Monster_Manual

No, like I said, I agree, the page I had referenced to think it's an unlockable definitely seems wrong (spelling mistake in item).

Is the Monster Manual a treasure room pool and not a library pool item? I guess that would explain how I cleared the library pool without seeing it... though I think I've seen every other treasure room item countless times.

Can someone who got meatboy through the D6/Monster Manual chime in as to where they found the MM? I'd really appreciate it.

No, like I said, I agree, the page I had referenced to think it's an unlockable definitely seems wrong (spelling mistake in item).

Is the Monster Manual a treasure room pool and not a library pool item? I guess that would explain how I cleared the library pool without seeing it... though I think I've seen every other treasure room item countless times.

Can someone who got meatboy through the D6/Monster Manual chime in as to where they found the MM? I'd really appreciate it.
it's definitely in the treasure room pool

one85x

According to platinumgod, it's only in the item room pool. Seems like it's the only book that doesn't appear in the library too.

SerTapTap

Looks like the trophy fix is NOT retroactive. I'm still missing Something Sticky and surely others.

Edit: New record for stupidest death: walked right into a curse room on the first floor as Judas without thinking. No black hearts. RIP

Double edit: I think Experimental Treatment is fixed, but still a risk

Can someone please walk me through the steps of getting my PS4 save onto my Vita. Can't for the life of me figure it out.

I found the BoI save on my PS4 hard drive, uploaded it, but the download option on my Vita is still greyed out.

David___

Banned
Can someone please walk me through the steps of getting my PS4 save onto my Vita. Can't for the life of me figure it out.

I found the BoI save on my PS4 hard drive, uploaded it, but the download option on my Vita is still greyed out.

On the file select screen, go to sync save then upload.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well, that just happened.
So I'm the Lost, right. I've already done the dark room path (+boss rush) on hard mode. So I'm going for the cathedral + chest.

I have all guppy items except for paw (including dead cat), 30 keys, 20 bombs, starter deck with Joker + Algiz, the tick, Brimstone, sacrificial dagger, demon baby, mom's contacts.

Smash through Mom, smash through womb 1, go through womb 2 in case I get any damage ups... decide that I may as well skip mom's heart, so without hesitation I use my joker card and jump down the hole to the next floor. When "Sheol" pops up I let out a loud "FUCK"

I AM A DUMBASS

corn_fest

Well, that just happened.
So I'm the Lost, right. I've already done the dark room path (+boss rush) on hard mode. So I'm going for the cathedral + chest.

I have all guppy items except for paw (including dead cat), 30 keys, 20 bombs, starter deck with Joker + Algiz, the tick, Brimstone, sacrificial dagger, demon baby, mom's contacts.

Smash through Mom, smash through womb 1, go through womb 2 in case I get any damage ups... decide that I may as well skip mom's heart, so without hesitation I use my joker card and jump down the hole to the next floor. When "Sheol" pops up I let out a loud "FUCK"

I AM A DUMBASS

Daaaamn, that sucks. But if you're that good at the Lost I'm sure you'll get there again soon enough.

autoduelist

So I can confirm Vita patch auto unlocks Godhead on first death, and also let me FINALLY get my damn Dead Boy trophy (which I had to re-earn). It also auto-unlocked the 4 or 5 endings I hadn't gotten credit for.

RE: MONSTER MANUAL

it's definitely in the treasure room pool

So we're talking, if a gold door shows up on the very first room, it could contain a Monster Manual?

Because if that's so, in the 100s if not 1000s of games I've played (including all the 'quick checks' for Godhead earning runs, etc, I've never gotten it, even rerolling tons with D6.

What the hell? Has anyone seen the Monster Manual on vita?

ALSO --

1) Dark Bum still worth it. If I didn't know it was patched, I wouldn't have known. Got no spiders in an entire run with lots of hearts, so the spider drop rate must be pretty low.

Bugs I noticed:

1) They fixed the stupid Negative spawning in front of the exit, but I noticed secret boss rooms (like Envy, etc) that earn a pickup block the door. It's rare as hell, but it's there.

2) I can't swear to this, but my second to last run I found the Holy Mantle on floor 1. On floor two, in the very first room I saw an entrance to a sacrifice room and I took damage going in. The holy mantle worked from then on out. I don't know if it doesn't 'turn on' in the very first room of a floor, or if something else happened, but something odd happened. There were no spikes in the room or anything like that to have taken it off before I entered room.

autoduelist

Can anyone give me pointers on how to play well? I feel like I die too often.

With any game that has permadeath, you first need to master the concept of risk/reward. That is to say, you don't need to clear every single room, take every chance, etc. You will eventually become comfortable enough to do this, but early on? Play it a bit safe -- get the treasure room, and the secret room if you can, but don't focus too much on 'clearing' till you have a grip on the game or unless you have tons of health.

Find the secret doors. Read a guide on them -- once you 'get' where they probably are, it's a free two rooms - one often with useful bombs or keys or money, and the other with (usually) hearts or a pickup. Experiment with your bombs, after a few games you'll instinctively know where to try. It's only 1 in 10 games or so where I see a room break the basic rules.

Practice. All those bosses that are probably killing you right now? They're easy once you understand their patterns, how to dodge their bullets, how many times they charge/shoot, or how to trick them into doing something 'safe'. This can only be learned with time.

Donate to the store whenever you can. Get it to 999, and then use it like a bank (bomb for money).

Unlock Azazel and use him for awhile to learn the ropes. He's fast, he flies, and he's powerful.

Could I get some tips on unlocking the D6 :( it's hard to get a hood op run with ???

IIRC, he starts with 3 soul hearts right?
This means you're guaranteed a devil room on the second floor (since you can't take red heart damage).

What you want to do for a much easier run, in addition to getting a good starting item in the treasure room, is find a soul heart on floor one or 2, and then get Dark Bum as a devil deal -- this will cost 3 soul hearts, so you'll be putting yourself down to 1 heart (unless you found more) but you can now go back through floor 2 and pick up all the red hearts and convert to soul hearts. After a floor or two, you should be maxed.

dickroach

Monster Manuel definitely appears in the treasure room. I'm pretty sure I've gotten it on the first floor before. (playing on my computer)

+ there's a seed on the rebirthwiki HGN1 GBFC (PC)

dickroach

Could I get some tips on unlocking the D6 :( it's hard to get a hood op run with ???

you just gotta wait till you get some good items. a Relic, or a Book of Revelations... something that gives you soul/dark hearts on a consistent basis. try your damndest not to get hit. and don't be scared to go into those rooms with the spikey doors; try and get Guppy. Guppy makes every run good.

xkramz

If you get a crappy level 1 item, don't bother playing the run. You're going nowhere with crack the sky.
Thanks I'll give that a try.

you just gotta wait till you get some good items. a Relic, or a Book of Revelations... something that gives you soul/dark hearts on a consistent basis. try your damndest not to get hit. and don't be scared to go into those rooms with the spikey doors; try and get Guppy. Guppy makes every run good.
I be scared of losing my hearts going into curse rooms playing as blue baby. But I'll take more risk and check these rooms. Thanks

Stoze

The PS4 patch (and Vita I assume) is not the same as the PC one btw; Krampus head and Dark Bum are unchanged, you can still do the seed glitch, and can still bomb into special rooms from the secret room and won't get stuck there.

Also I got the D4 for the first time last night, was one of the most fun runs of Isaac I've ever had. I kept popping it every 6 room, some of the builds I got were insane. Eventually you go through the pool and end up with really weak stuff, at least I did.

autoduelist

Monster Manuel definitely appears in the treasure room. I'm pretty sure I've gotten it on the first floor before. (playing on my computer)

+ there's a seed on the rebirthwiki HGN1 GBFC (PC)

Darn. Those seeds don't work on vita.

RE: Monster Manual

According to this graphic I found

http://i.imgur.com/0AFv2Dq.jpg

(EDIT- spoiler tags don't work around images so i ripped out the image tags -- it's a picture of all the item pools)

the monster manual is locked. so there definitely seems to be conflicting info on it.

Does anyone know of a chart that has all items in the order of 'stuff i found' in the stat screen? (that's what i was looking for when i found this chart)

Stoze

Darn. Those seeds don't work on vita.

RE: Monster Manual

According to this graphic I found

http://i.imgur.com/0AFv2Dq.jpg

(EDIT- spoiler tags don't work around images so i ripped out the image tags -- it's a picture of all the item pools)

the monster manual is locked. so there definitely seems to be conflicting info on it.

Does anyone know of a chart that has all items in the order of 'stuff i found' in the stat screen? (that's what i was looking for when i found this chart)

I don't know if you realize this, but that picture and the link to the wikipedia page you posted earlier are from the original Binding of Isaac, not Rebirth. May be why you're finding conflicting info.

Monster Manual does seem rare, but it isn't an unlockable as far as I know (no secret/achievement for it), and I've seen it in libraries and item rooms on PS4.

Is it still possible to get every item through the d100/d4? I only miss godhead, but I got every other unlockable from the lost, even though I didn't actually unlock any of them.

autoduelist

I don't know if you realize this, but that picture and the link to the wikipedia page you posted earlier are from the original Binding of Isaac, not Rebirth. May be why you're finding conflicting info.

Monster Manual does seem rare, but it isn't an unlockable as far as I know (no secret/achievement for it), and I've seen it in libraries and item rooms on PS4.

Yeah, I didn't realize they changed the ways to unlock stuff from one game to another, but they did. Super bandage changed as well, for example.

So I found a list of all collectables in the order it shows up in game here:
http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Collection_Page

Oddly, I"m missing three things that don't require unlocks -- monster manual, magic 8 ball, and Mongo Baby despite 100s upon 100s of runs. (probably 1000s... a month and a half of playing only boi)

Arghghghgh.

EDIT -- within another 20 restarts, both MM and Mongo showed up. Bitching on the net does work. Of course, the monster manual isn't exactly useful for my purposes without habit + scapular, so... damn. guess i still need to reset to get the scapular, since once i have that + habit i can hopefully end up with the mm again. ugh.

Stoze

Yeah, I didn't realize they changed the ways to unlock stuff from one game to another, but they did. Super bandage changed as well, for example.

Oddly, I"m missing three things that don't require unlocks -- monster manual, magic 8 ball, and Mongo Baby despite 100s upon 100s of runs. (probably 1000s... a month and a half of playing only boi)

Arghghghgh.

Yeah the starting item pool is quite different from the original BoI.

Wow magic 8 ball? That's a really common item for me. What's your Mom kill count out of curiosity?

Arghghghgh.

Also, if you've definitely seen it in libraries then that's a problem for me, because I've cleared through the library item pool and not gotten it.

you can get monster manual and mongo baby by simply restarting the basement over and over. Using Isaac should speed it up.

so i'm at the cathedral right now, my guy isn't very powerful at all and i have a passage stone. would it work? and let me pass over taking on isaac to get right to the chest level so i can hope for the 4 chests giving me something i can work with?

and a random though. i also really wanna see what isaac would look like with only the zodiac buffs on him.

so i'm at the cathedral right now, my guy isn't very powerful at all and i have a passage stone. would it work? and let me pass over taking on isaac to get right to the chest level so i can hope for the 4 chests giving me something i can work with?

and a random though. i also really wanna see what isaac would look like with only the zodiac buffs on him.

Using passage or the shovel doesn't work on the cathedral, the chest and presumably sheol and the dark room. They simply won't produce anything.

Stoze

Also, if you've definitely seen it in libraries then that's a problem for me, because I've cleared through the library item pool and not gotten it.

Actually now that I think about it, I probably got it in an item room and traded it out at a library (because it's useless unless going for SMB/SBG). Looks like it's only in item rooms, my mistake.

you can get monster manual and mongo baby by simply restarting the basement over and over. Using Isaac should speed it up.

You could do this...or if you're feeling naughty you could do the seed glitch since it still works on PS4/Vita.

Top Bottom