• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Stoze

God dammit. I was just screwing around on a run and even though I didn't have anything special, I somehow I made it to the Dark Room. I had unwillingly cleared most of it out in search of the boss. I was pretty much doomed with one health after doing a double Cage room, all I had was a Bad Trip pill. In the split second before I died, I noticed I had somehow switched it out for a Full Health pill with the same color. Not sure if it was a glitch or me not noticing picking it up, but I didn't have time to react and died. Really could've used those 10 hearts, would've easily finished off the game.

Feels bad man.

God dammit. I was just screwing around on a run and even though I didn't have anything special, I somehow I made it to the Dark Room. I had unwillingly cleared most of it out in search of the boss. I was pretty much doomed with one health after doing a double Cage room, all I had was a Bad Trip pill. In the split second before I died, I noticed I had somehow switched it out for a Full Health pill with the same color. Not sure if it was a glitch or me not noticing picking it up, but I didn't have time to react and died. Really could've used those 10 hearts, would've easily finished off the game.

Feels bad man.

It turns into a full health pill as long as you only have one heart left.

Feels bad man.

Bad trip restores your health fully if you only have one heart left.

edit: darn it haloz

Novocaine

I was going for Godhead and this just happened on the 2nd floor.

faoIxAv.jpg

That's so awesome!

BigAT

Yeah, I've got almost 60 hours played, done enough to beat
Mega Satan
and I still haven't seen Monster Manual.

ElTopo

Banned
Yeah, I've got almost 60 hours played, done enough to beat
Mega Satan
and I still haven't seen Monster Manual.

I have almost the same amount of time as you. I still haven't gotten Monster Manual, the Blue Flame, or the D6. I've beaten every Challenge except for 8 and 11 (Which I haven't unlocked) and got every single ending.

BigAT

I have almost the same amount of time as you. I still haven't gotten Monster Manual, the Blue Flame, or the D6. I've beaten every Challenge except for 8 and 11 (Which I haven't unlocked) and got every single ending.

Blue Flame and D6 are specific unlocks, if you haven't done them yet.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
2) I can't swear to this, but my second to last run I found the Holy Mantle on floor 1. On floor two, in the very first room I saw an entrance to a sacrifice room and I took damage going in. The holy mantle worked from then on out. I don't know if it doesn't 'turn on' in the very first room of a floor, or if something else happened, but something odd happened. There were no spikes in the room or anything like that to have taken it off before I entered room.

I don't know if it's intended, but that's been its behavior for a while. It doesn't click on until you go through the first door on a floor.

I logged in last night on my laptop, on which I haven't played Isaac in about a month. It said I had newer files on the cloud and asked me to either sync or use the local ones. I'm SURE I chose the cloud ones, but apparently it used the local ones. It ended up uploading these old ones to the cloud and now no matter where I log in, I don't even have the polaroid unlocked.

I only had 12 achievements left to go before I was done. :( :( :(

I also suspect the change to cloud save in the patch had something to do with it. Maybe it looked at my (old) local data and saved that off into the new patch save location.

:(

(please add a feature to create a saved game based on current achievements earned)

I logged in last night on my laptop, on which I haven't played Isaac in about a month. It said I had newer files on the cloud and asked me to either sync or use the local ones. I'm SURE I chose the cloud ones, but apparently it used the local ones. It ended up uploading these old ones to the cloud and now no matter where I log in, I don't even have the polaroid unlocked.

I only had 12 achievements left to go before I was done. :( :( :(

I also suspect the change to cloud save in the patch had something to do with it. Maybe it looked at my (old) local data and saved that off into the new patch save location.

:(

This won't fix everything (like character/boss completion), but go to your stats page and press ALT + F2. That should sync your game save to your steam achievements and bring your unlocks back.

This won't fix everything (like character/boss completion), but go to your stats page and press ALT + F2. That should sync your game save to your steam achievements and bring your unlocks back.

This does help. Thank you.

In terms of platinum god, will I need to beat every boss with every character again, or could I just unlock the last remaining items (just the lost items and 2 others) and then 'discover' every item in game?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Feels bad man.

Also, for future reference, Health Down turns into Health Up if you only have one heart container.

In terms of platinum god, will I need to beat every boss with every character again, or could I just unlock the last remaining items (just the lost items and 2 others) and then 'discover' every item in game?

AFAIK platinum god only requires the unlocks, not the icons on the character selection. Not sure though.

ElTopo

Banned
Finally beat Challenge #8 Cat Got Your Tongue. Lucked out and got Tammy's Head mid-way through. I never want to play that challenge again.

Now, just need to fight Lokii to finally unlock Challenge #11.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

To get platinum god, you need to unlock all items and have picked each one up at least once (but not in the same run)

Don't miss the hard mode unlocks - beating mom's heart with everyone, and Beating boss rush, the lamb, and the blue baby with The Lost (Basically you have to complete everything on hard mode with the lost for the final unlock)

SerTapTap

Also, for future reference, Health Down turns into Health Up if you only have one heart container.

Woah, cool. Does the actual name change BTW? I remember the conditions mostly, but in the heat of battle I can never remember if Bad Trip is 1 heart or a half heart (too many different things activate at one but not the other)

autoduelist

Yeah the starting item pool is quite different from the original BoI.

Wow magic 8 ball? That's a really common item for me. What's your Mom kill count out of curiosity?

72 mom kills, but I've also cleared all characters and have done plenty of Isaac and [other character] check treasure room / use d6 / restarts. It boggles my mind that 3 different non-unlockables in treasures rooms escaped me.

Now I'm just waiting on seeing a scapular, since I figure once I have that [and a habit] I can clear most other things.

Magic 8 ball remains my only missing 'normal' item.

Then super bandage because I need to unlock it, a pile of angel room junk because angel rooms give me eternal hearts every damn time, and I think i need to blow up more slots to unlock something, though I thought I've blown up millions. And godhead, but I believe that's included in angel rooms too, but i haven't checked yet since i've got other fish to fry.

you can get monster manual and mongo baby by simply restarting the basement over and over. Using Isaac should speed it up.

Yeah, I got both last night shortly after posting. I just figured the MM was an unlockable due to that out-dated page + never seeing it in all my playthroughs.

Using passage or the shovel doesn't work on the cathedral, the chest and presumably sheol and the dark room. They simply won't produce anything.

I learned this the hard way.

I also learned the hardway that you couldn't bomb through doors in the Chest, which cost me a great Dead Boy run since when the door didn't open I was screwed as I'd put myself in a bad position for anything but escape.

You could do this...or if you're feeling naughty you could do the seed glitch since it still works on PS4/Vita.

Does anyone have a seed for Scapular on vita? That would be the best holiday present ever.

I just look for the glow to tell if it's "on" or not before doing anything stupid

Lol, yeah, I just assumed it was on since I was in the starting room. Normally I double check.

Mugsy

I know people have mentioned being unable to bomb into/out of curse rooms that are adjacent to secret rooms but I have had the same problems being unable to bomb from the secret room into a store (I had no keys). Can anyone confirm this as it only came up once, also can anyone confirm if it is both ways? In that if I was in the shop and attempted to bomb into a secret room adjacent nothing would happen and I may be misled into believing the room is not there.

Is it this way for all rooms with unique forms of entry?

I know people have mentioned being unable to bomb into/out of curse rooms that are adjacent to secret rooms but I have had the same problems being unable to bomb from the secret room into a store (I had no keys). Can anyone confirm this as it only came up once, also can anyone confirm if it is both ways? In that if I was in the shop and attempted to bomb into a secret room adjacent nothing would happen and I may be misled into believing the room is not there.

Is it this way for all rooms with unique forms of entry?

Yeah, secret rooms can't be entered from any kind of special room at the moment. It's a bug and will be fixed soon-ish.

Stat!

My
Lost
runs on hard are done. Now to finish the rest of the guys up on hard. And then go back to normal to enjoy myself :p

I'm trying to figure out what else I need to do after all of that besides collecting all of the items. That should be it right?

Its a shame achievements are kinda bugged out on the ps4 version. I've defeated Mom's heart more than 11 times!

Still trying to figure out if I like Guillotine or not. Yes the extra damage + large orbital is nice , but my god do I run over spikes way to often because I can't see where my body is.

SerTapTap

Still trying to figure out if I like Guillotine or not. Yes the extra damage + large orbital is nice , but my god do I run over spikes way to often because I can't see where my body is.

Yeah I noticed I usually watch Isaac's head, not his body. Which isn't perfect, I think his shadow actually most accurately represents his hitbox, but then again a few things change Isaac's size but not hitbox so it's hard to be exactly sure.Only time I got Guillotine was with Knife, which isn't affected by Guillotine, still fires from the body. I'm not sure I'll pick it up again.

Phew

Stoze

My god, I'm guessing I have around 200 or so hours combined with both games now and I never knew this. This game is 2deep4me. Thanks for letting me know!

72 mom kills, but I've also cleared all characters and have done plenty of Isaac and [other character] check treasure room / use d6 / restarts. It boggles my mind that 3 different non-unlockables in treasures rooms escaped me.

Wow, that's crazy. I can understand not seeing Black Lotus or something like that after that many kills, but not seeing 8 Ball and even Monster Manual is some nuts luck.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
8 ball is a pretty damn common boss drop in cellar/basement (and other areas).

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Is Black Lotus really that rare? I've found items in secret rooms less than 10 times in Rebirth, and Black Lotus was the item 4 of those times. Crazy.

The cursed eye is a terrible item. I don't know which is worse, it or the 9-lives dead cat. But being teleported out of a boss room after one hit is extremely annoying. I could have finished several runs if not for that damned thing.

The cursed eye is a terrible item. I don't know which is worse, it or the 9-lives dead cat. But being teleported out of a boss room after one hit is extremely annoying. I could have finished several runs if not for that damned thing.

It's not good, but it only teleports you while it's charging. If you don't charge or are at full charge nothing will happen. At least that's what I heard.
And yeah, Dead Cat is awesome.

Ferrio

Banned

Cursed eye. Dead cat is an amazing item.

SerTapTap

Dead Cat is good to great (I rarely end up using the lives but +33% of the way to Guppy is great), just got to be aware of what you're getting into, and don't take it if you have craptons of red hearts already and no guppy items/are already guppy. I almost always take it if I have less than 5 hearts.

If I ever accidentally pick up Cursed Eye again I think I'll just reset the damn run

Manu

That shit ruined an awesome run with Magdalene yesterday.

I got to It Lives barely taking any damage and then I would get teleported every time I got hit.

I ended up dying after spending all my hearts retrying.

It's not good, but it only teleports you while it's charging. If you don't charge or are at full charge nothing will happen. At least that's what I heard.
And yeah, Dead Cat is awesome.

That's the thing though about both items - you basically have a single heart to take on a boss. With the dead cat you get 9 tries (which you can augment with special hearts). With the Cursed Eye, it is almost the same except I can eke out more than 9 if I play my hearts right. Either item to me is terrible. Guppy collar is terrible too because I never get an extra life from it. Not once.

Edit: I do see the potential with the dead cat if you can get it early with upside potential of getting more hp upgrades.

That's the thing though about both items - you basically have a single heart to take on a boss. With the dead cat you get 9 tries (which you can augment with special hearts). With the Cursed Eye, it is almost the same except I can eke out more than 9 if I play my hearts right. Either item to me is terrible. Guppy collar is terrible too because I never get an extra life from it. Not once.

Dead Cat is only worth it if you have Soul Hearts or a Paw, but then it's great.

SerTapTap

Edit: I do see the potential with the dead cat if you can get it early with upside potential of getting more hearts.

If you pick it up in The Chest with no soulhearts, sure, it's bad. But you should probably end up with it reasonably early since it's a devil deal item and those stop showing up eventually and red chests also seem weighted more toward the start of the run. But generally soul/black heart drops should add at least a few hearts to your total even if you don't get more red hearts.

Guppy's Collar isn't great aside from being a Guppy item, but it's a 50% chance of revival (with a half a heart) so if it's in a red chest totally get it, if it's a devil deal item, yeah, only get if you have other guppy items IMO. Only really worth it for guppy status.

Ferrio

Banned
Edit: I do see the potential with the dead cat if you can get it early with upside potential of getting more hp upgrades.

Don't even need hp upgrades, live off soul/black hearts. Try to get devil deals early as possible to burn your red hearts down, so when you do come across the cat it isn't a big of a hit.

Even then losing a lot of red hearts for the cat is very beneficial if you get guppy. Guppy is almost an instant win in this game.

Don't even need hp upgrades, live off soul/black hearts. Try to get devil deals early as possible to burn your red hearts down, so when you do come across the cat it isn't a big of a hit.

Even then losing a lot of red hearts for the cat is very beneficial if you get guppy. Guppy is almost an instant win in this game.

Expect with Monstro's Lung due to it's low rate of fire (Being Guppy with it still should get you down to the Chest/Dark Room).

Top Bottom