• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CassSept

I don't think size altering items actually alter Isaac's hitbox, they just make it harder to dodge because you're no longer as sure of your hitbox. Unless they fixed that in rebirth, I'm pretty sure it doesn't do it in the original. Either way, Isaac is very much a "get as far away from the bullets as possible" style game. If it had a grazing mechanic I'd go nuts because Isaac is never moving at the same speed and his hitbox is so fat.

Oh, really? Well, my bad, I guess it was me screwing up. I know it's about getting far away from bullets, but I ate a lot of damage during that wavy pattern, where you have to run between two tears. I guess it was my fault, hell, the game's pretty hard no matter how you look at it :D

SerTapTap

Oh, really? Well, my bad, I guess it was me screwing up. I know it's about getting far away from bullets, but I ate a lot of damage during that wavy pattern, where you have to run between two tears. I guess it was my fault, hell, the game's pretty hard no matter how you look at it :D

Yeah the wavy pattern is definitely it's hardest, pretty much the only one where you can get hit for reasons other than "wasn't ready to dodge", the only reason I've been hit by the brimstone pattern.

Though I was just looking for confirmation, and it sounds like mini-mush is supposed to reduce your hitbox now. Im' not sure if that goes both ways or not, since some rooms are clearly designed around your normal hitbox (anything with auto-fire brimstone/tears from those weird stone heads)

Well, my game crashed on the vita and then it force updated it, so....Goodbye Dark Bum

Dark Bum nerf isn't even on Playstation yet, nor is Krampus' nerf nor the secret room wall bug, nor the seed exploit fix. Absolutely no reason not to update.

cakely

Had an awesome run with Eve last night. Killed
Mom's Heart
for the 6th time, became guppy, got to
Sheol
for the first time, and beat
Satan
for the first time ... with 8 lives left. I was an unstoppable wave of death. :)

Did I mention that I love this game?

I Monster Manual'd my way to the Meat Boy and Bandage Girl achievements. Now all I need for The Real Platinum God is.. finding Transcendence, Missingno, and Guardian Angel. This is painful.

Haunted

Actually Moon'd my way into an inescapable secret room yesterday. Was in the corner of the map, a spike room on the right and a boss trap room below, no way to bomb my way out.

Edmund pls

SerTapTap

I Monster Manual'd my way to the Meat Boy and Bandage Girl achievements. Now all I need for The Real Platinum God is.. finding Transcendence, Missingno, and Guardian Angel. This is painful.

Secret room items suck, I ran through 57, yes, 57 levels of BASE MENT without seeing a SINGLE secret room item. No missing no, transcendence, and fortunately I found Black Lotus in an earlier run.

Just imagining the framerate for a room like that in the original makes me shiver. :lol

I was amazed at the PS4 version keeping a stable 60 in my broken BASE MENT run, 4 way brimstone telepathic knives, basically every follower ever, spiders and flies like mad (though the game seems to stop loading followers after a point of having too many spiders/flies--including isaac's head if you have Guillotine which is pretty funny)

Haunted

re: Shell Game Beggar

Contrary to popular belief, it does not matter which shell you choose.
I'm pretty sure popular beliefs like that pop up because of guys like me who can't believe they missed an ALLEGED 33% chance 20 (twenty) times in a row.

SerTapTap

re: Shell Game Beggar

I'm pretty sure popular beliefs like that pop up because of guys like me who can't believe they missed a 33% chance 20 (twenty) times in a row.

I knew it didn't matter, I only noticed recently that choosing different shells even has a different animation (did it not in the original?)

BTW fuck the shell game beggar spawning the fly RIGHT on top of you. So annoying that you have to bounce back and forth when trying to unload a ton of coins

Haunted

I knew it didn't matter, I only noticed recently that choosing different shells even has a different animation (did it not in the original?)

BTW fuck the shell game beggar spawning the fly RIGHT on top of you. So annoying that you have to bounce back and forth when trying to unload a ton of coins
It's one of the nicer subtle changes that you can now easily unload a lot of coins relatively quickly into slot machines and beggars by just slowly walking into them.

SerTapTap

It's one of the nicer subtle changes that you can now easily unload a lot of coins relatively quickly into slot machines and beggars by just slowly walking into them.

I just stand behind the donation machine to unload coins into it, it's great. You're stuck between it and the wall and constantly donate until it jams. I love anything that minimizes "effort" on completely mindless tasks. But that just makes the shell game beggar more frustrating because you HAVE to walk away or flies spawn on you..

fantomena

I msut have come over a bug or something. I entered caves 2 or soemthing, took a 30 min pause, came back, but there is no music and now I can destroy stones and shit. Wut.

SerTapTap

I msut have come over a bug or something. I entered caves 2 or soemthing, took a 30 min pause, came back, but there is no music and now I can destroy stones and shit. Wut.

Dunno about the music, but Leo ("stompy") allows you to walk over and destroy stones.

aku:jiki

I just read PlatGod's updated info about Experimental Treatment... That item is a dirty liar is what it is! I couldn't figure out why my stats were 2/1/6/2/2/3 before it but 2/1/6/1/1/3 after it, but it apparently does lower stats if it feels like it. In fact, I think my shot speed was in the negative (but the pause screen can't show that) as I ended up with tears I could outrun, like you can with Eve's Mascara.

That sounds very strange to me, as Edmund has even said in interviews that boss room drops are meant to be straight upgrades. I hope it's unintentional and that they they fix it, because I really enjoy the idea of what ET says it does. It's a fun item idea.

Dunno about the music, but Leo ("stompy") allows you to walk over and destroy stones.
Thunder Thighs too. It looks almost exactly like Lard, IMO, so maybe that's where the confusion comes from.

autoduelist

If you're on vita/ps4, I posted a seed / directions earlier, but if you're on PC you just need to find a 'infinite D6' Isaac seed.

NOTE -- PC seeds are more common on the net, so you likely can just find direct seeds for anything you need. But just in case, this technique will get you anything you can't find. I worked out this strategy on vita, where seeds are hard to find on the wiki or elsewhere.

I have full instructions elsewhere (more complex because it includes getting Meatboy/girl), but the long and short of it is:

1) Get infinite D6 (scapular + sharp plug, pyro + ipecac, etc).

2) Find arcade. Let all the coins/hearts/etc pile up. Put coins into machines until at least one of them drops a pedestal item (blood bank, dollar bill, skatole, etc)

There are two items you need:

3) Reroll these pedestal items until you get D20 or (see 4)).
Use this to reroll all the coins/hearts on floor till you get goats head IF you need angel room items. You can skip this if you don't need angel room items.

4) Reroll these pedestal items until you get Tarot Card generator
Leave room, use infinite recharge till you get Judgement (beggar) card. You can skip this step if you don't need special room items.

Now ---

For angel room items, go to angel room, and reroll till you get what you need. I had you get goat head so you can leave room and it'll stay. For sacred heart/godhead make sure you don't exhaust normal item pool because this ups your chances considerably. Also don't pick up any of the other 14 'special' items other than D6.

For special room items, find your next special room. Spawn beggar with Judgement. Give him money till he drops a pedestal item. Reroll it infinitely tilll you get what you want.
Beware - if the item you need is 'Missing No.', picking it up will randomize you... get other pickups you need first.

You can also pick up any normal items you need while in the arcade, and while you're D20'ing for goats head you'll likely create more pedestal items to rotate. Again, if you're going for super rare angel room items (godhead, sacred heart) do not exhaust item pool and do not pick up Epic Fetus and other 'special' items.

SerTapTap

I just read PlatGod's updated info about Experimental Treatment... That item is a dirty liar is what it is! I couldn't figure out why my stats were 2/1/6/2/2/3 before it but 2/1/6/1/1/3 after it, but it apparently does lower stats if it feels like it. In fact, I think my shot speed was in the negative (but the pause screen can't show that) as I ended up with tears I could outrun, like you can with Eve's Mascara.

That sounds very strange to me, as Edmund has even said in interviews that boss room drops are meant to be straight upgrades. I hope it's unintentional and that they they fix it, because I really enjoy the idea of what ET says it does. It's a fun item idea.

Thunder Thighs too. It looks almost exactly like Lard, IMO, so maybe that's where the confusion comes from.

Oh THAT'S why experimental treatment fucking sucks. If it was just a +1 to all stats then actually shuffled them it'd be risky but worth it. I guess it's not bugged, just really bad.

How are there still items I've never heard of. Never got Thunder Thighs, and I have like 90% of item collection now.

SerTapTap

What's the secret room wall bug?

In the latest PC version you can't bomb into secret rooms from "special" rooms (anything with an icon on the map). Not only is this annoying, it can trap you in a secret room if you warp into a room with no escape.

Man, I am just not having any luck today. It's like lady fortuna is giving me a constant cosmic middle finger. I have seen more 3 red chest devil deals today than most Isaac players have seen in their total 150 hours, I swear... RNG can be maddening sometimes.

In the latest PC version you can't bomb into secret rooms from "special" rooms (anything with an icon on the map). Not only is this annoying, it can trap you in a secret room if you warp into a room with no escape.
I thought that wasn't a very big deal when the patch hit, but now that we've had it for a few days... Yeah, it's kinda terrible. So many important rooms missed because I had bombs but no keys (or not enough health for cursed rooms). It's one of those things you just take for granted and don't even think about, but can't live without when it gets taken away.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok seriously, what the actual fuck? I was having a good run and about to fight satan when I pick up a card I've never had before. So I use it. And I fucking die instantly. I'm sorry but this is fucking poor game design. Shit like this is why the game should tell you what items do. It isn't fun to have a run fucked up like that. It's frustrating and for all the wrong reasons. At the very least a warning when using that specific card would have been nice. WARNING: THIS ITEM INSTANTLY KILLS YOU. ONLY USE IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO REVIVE YOU AFTER DEATH. DO YOU STILL WISH TO USE IT? How hard would something like that be? God I'm so pissed off right now.

SerTapTap

Ok seriously, what the actual fuck?.

*J. Walter Weatherman voice* And that's why...you always look it up.

I remember almost everything now, but I never use cards I dont' remember the use of. Even since the original there's some stuff that'll hurt you if you don't know what you're doing (like high priestess)

I thought that wasn't a very big deal when the patch hit, but now that we've had it for a few days... Yeah, it's kinda terrible. So many important rooms missed because I had bombs but no keys (or not enough health for cursed rooms). It's one of those things you just take for granted and don't even think about, but can't live without when it gets taken away.

Yeah even if it didn't result in inescapable rooms it's terrible, bombing into shops and curse rooms is great. Often as good/better than what's in the secret room if you have plenty of bombs.

Well the other characters
ARE isaac, except, possibly, Lazarus, Azazel, and it's not explicitly stated but quite likely that ??? and The Lost are Isaac posthumously
A tad LTTP but (last ending spoilers)
My take from the Mega Satan ending is that as a result of his journey and getting in the chest, Isaac becomes Azazel, who is pretty much Isaac cosplaying as Satan. I don't have any explanation for Lazarus though.
And yeah, ??? (blue baby) is a dead version of Isaac while The Lost looks is his ghost I guess.

Edit: what the fuck is that instant death card you guys are talking about? I need to know to avoid that shit.

SerTapTap

A tad LTTP but (last ending spoilers)
My take from the Mega Satan ending is that as a result of his journey and getting in the chest, Isaac becomes Azazel, who is pretty much Isaac cosplaying as Satan. I don't have any explanation for Lazarus though.
And yeah, ??? (blue baby) is a dead version of Isaac while The Lost looks is his ghost I guess.

Azazel has a broken horn though, and simpler horns than the ending's design. Doesn't really really look like Isaac in that ending or even while using any of the devil items. Blue Baby is his "fate" after suffocating in the chest, "the lost" seems to be either/both isaac being "lost" after escaping (or dying in the chest and remaining unfound) or simply "lost" as in dead

Joe Molotov

I've never seen Experimental Treatment actually raise any stats. It's just straight up garbage. I won't even take it anymore, unless I have like a million Range or something.

SerTapTap

I've never seen Experimental Treatment actually raise any stats. It's just straight up garbage. I won't even take it anymore, unless I have like a million Range or something.

That's the bad thing, best I can tell it doesn't actually shuffle your "points" around, it's just a minor stat up/down per stat, the average of which is slightly weighted to have a minor increase over your prior stats. The way I wanted it to work is take all your "ticks" on the pause screen, add "X" number of ticks, then randomly distribute them. Internally stats don't work quite so cleanly, but still, it would be possible to simulate and the current situation is really bad. I don't recommend picking up experimental treatment unless your stats are completely abysmal and you're about to quit if nothing raises your tears/damage.

Lawdhammercy, my game is just broken right now. Devil deals just cannot be anything but 3 chests, it's insane. Still pulled out my win but, holy shit, this can't be mathematically possible!

That's the bad thing, best I can tell it doesn't actually shuffle your "points" around, it's just a minor stat up/down per stat, the average of which is slightly weighted to have a minor increase over your prior stats. The way I wanted it to work is take all your "ticks" on the pause screen, add "X" number of ticks, then randomly distribute them. Internally stats don't work quite so cleanly, but still, it would be possible to simulate and the current situation is really bad. I don't recommend picking up experimental treatment unless your stats are completely abysmal and you're about to quit if nothing raises your tears/damage.
I don't even mind it working like it sounds like it would - add +1 to every stat, then shuffle all stats. Could end up with 10 range and 1 in everything else, could get 10 damage... That's a fun item to me. A few random ups and downs, but mostly just seems to be downs, isn't.

Ok seriously, what the actual fuck? I was having a good run and about to fight satan when I pick up a card I've never had before. So I use it. And I fucking die instantly. I'm sorry but this is fucking poor game design. Shit like this is why the game should tell you what items do. It isn't fun to have a run fucked up like that. It's frustrating and for all the wrong reasons. At the very least a warning when using that specific card would have been nice. WARNING: THIS ITEM INSTANTLY KILLS YOU. ONLY USE IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO REVIVE YOU AFTER DEATH. DO YOU STILL WISH TO USE IT? How hard would something like that be? God I'm so pissed off right now.
This is actual roguelike design. This is the game expecting and teaching actual experience, as in you as a human gaining knowledge and wisdom and not filling a numbered bar with more numbers. Exact same concept as all of the items. I get that you're frustrated about the death, but if you think about it, this is the best kind of game design, and games that go "Are you sure? Are you really sure? Should I just win the game for you?" is the design that's bad. Isaac's design treats you as a rational and intelligent human being that can obtain and retain knowledge. It's why I love the rogue* style of design.

And, I mean, there's also the hint that the card is called Suicide King.

SerTapTap

I don't even mind it working like it sounds like it would - add +1 to every stat, then shuffle all stats. Could end up with 10 range and 1 in everything else, could get 10 damage... That's a fun item to me. A few random ups and downs, but mostly just seems to be downs, isn't.

Yeah I kept counting my ticks and expecting the item would just add 1 per stat and redistribute that number of ticks. "shuffle" is completely inaccurate to what it actually does. And not in a "white lie" way like how stats on the pause menu aren't REALLY that simple, but it helps players understand.

And yeah, I don't mind single case "this item kills you" learning experiences. You use Suicide King, learn it kills you, never use it again. Shit like
the lost
that is just constant suffering and only RNG saves you, that's lame. I actually find The Bible's effect on Satan and Suicide King kinda funny, but I might think different if I didn't learn what they did ahead of time. Lots of other stuff can do minor damage or potentially screw you up when you first discover it, like The Tower.

Got to the Chest for the first time and I got absolutely destroyed.

It IS supposed to be hard! Always try to save 4 keys since you get 4 collectables in that first room and that often helps you a ton to make it through there. Also Contract From Below and Guppy's Tail will greatly increase collectable spawns in there since all chests (even red) will have a collectable in The Chest.

Permanently A

Yeah I kept counting my ticks and expecting the item would just add 1 per stat and redistribute that number of ticks. "shuffle" is completely inaccurate to what it actually does. And not in a "white lie" way like how stats on the pause menu aren't REALLY that simple, but it helps players understand.

And yeah, I don't mind single case "this item kills you" learning experiences. You use Suicide King, learn it kills you, never use it again. Shit like
the lost
that is just constant suffering and only RNG saves you, that's lame. I actually find The Bible's effect on Satan and Suicide King kinda funny, but I might think different if I didn't learn what they did ahead of time. Lots of other stuff can do minor damage or potentially screw you up when you first discover it, like The Tower.

It IS supposed to be hard! Always try to save 4 keys since you get 4 collectables in that first room and that often helps you a ton to make it through there. Also Contract From Below and Guppy's Tail will greatly increase collectable spawns in there since all chests (even red) will have a collectable in The Chest.

I had keys for the items, they were just all terrible.

SerTapTap

Yeah that'll happen too. I once had 3 Use items, all worse than what I had. But I'd say more often than not if I reach The Chest I'm ready for The Chest, especially after opening those chests. Worst part of the final floors isn't even the boss IMO, it's if you get something like 2 Adversaries.

SerTapTap

Any news on a EU patch for PS4? Still on V1.01 here. Trophy bugs and all.

The patch only fixes Dead Boy and Real Plat God I think, there's still a chance to not unlock a trophy for unknown reasons. Pretty sure the patch is for january due to someone going on holiday break. I forget if it's SonyEU or the devs' fault

^or that

Had something weird happen, was probably intentional but also felt like a bug. I had a the pill generator item and was using it whenever I could. Then on another floor I'm pretty sure I bought the extra pill space item at a store. After that, all my pills turned into cards and my pill generator made cards. Wish I wrote the seed but I'll have to see if it happens again.

Anyone else have something like this happen?

SerTapTap

Had something weird happen, was probably intentional but also felt like a bug. I had a the pill generator item and was using it whenever I could. Then on another floor I'm pretty sure I bought the extra pill space item at a store. After that, all my pills turned into cards and my pill generator made cards. Wish I wrote the seed but I'll have to see if it happens again.

This happened to me on the deck of cards run after I got the "extra pill space" item, I think it gets confused if you have extra pill AND card space or something

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Lawdhammercy, my game is just broken right now. Devil deals just cannot be anything but 3 chests, it's insane. Still pulled out my win but, holy shit, this can't be mathematically possible!

This is actual roguelike design. This is the game expecting and teaching actual experience, as in you as a human gaining knowledge and wisdom and not filling a numbered bar with more numbers. Exact same concept as all of the items. I get that you're frustrated about the death, but if you think about it, this is the best kind of game design, and games that go "Are you sure? Are you really sure? Should I just win the game for you?" is the design that's bad. Isaac's design treats you as a rational and intelligent human being that can obtain and retain knowledge. It's why I love the rogue* style of design.

Lol no. This is the game fucking me over without giving me enough knowledge to realise this would fuck me over. If the game just tells me what it does then I can use my brain and decide on the correct strategy. Then I can apply rational thought to the situation. There's no strategy involved if I'm not given the information required. It's just trial and error. The fact someone said just now that this is why you always look things up says it all. You wouldn't have to look things up if the game gave you the right amount of information. It's bad design. You can still teach through experience whilst still giving the player the information they need in the first place.

As for the name of the card, it still didn't mean jack. It still could have done any number of things and the only way to know what was to use it. I actually assumed it would turn by tears in to those ones that come back at you like in that challenge.

This happened to me on the deck of cards run after I got the "extra pill space" item, I think it gets confused if you have extra pill AND card space or something

This wouldn't solve the first situation, but the extra card item also has the added affect that every pill turns into a card and vice versa for the extra pill item.

Lol no. This is the game fucking me over without giving me enough knowledge to realise this would fuck me over. If the game just tells me what it does then I can use my brain and decide on the correct strategy. Then I can apply rational thought to the situation. There's no strategy involved if I'm not given the information required. It's just trial and error. The fact someone said just now that this is why you always look things up says it all. You wouldn't have to look things up if the game gave you the right amount of information. It's bad design. You can still teach through experience whilst still giving the player the information they need in the first place.

As for the name of the card, it still didn't mean jack. It still could have done any number of things and the only way to know what was to use it. I actually assumed it would turn by tears in to those ones that come back at you like in that challenge.
But the game did inform you of exactly what Suicide King does. It just didn't tell you in advance. You've gone through this process with every single item you've learned to love or hate in the game, you're just being salty that it cost you a run this time.

By the way, gaining experience through testing your way forward is a roguelike design staple. Lots of people think roguelike just means "random shit happens and then you die unfairly with no warning lol", but it's far deeper than that and this is a part of it. This sense of discovery is more interesting and meaningful since horrible, and amazing, experiences like the one you had are more likely to stick in your head than "helpful" game design will. You'll forget every game you've ever played that acts like a crutch for you every step of the way, but you're never gonna forget what Suicide King does.

This wouldn't solve the first situation, but the extra card item also has the added affect that every pill turns into a card and vice versa for the extra pill item.
I think I hate this "feature", if it even is one. I don't see why extra card space needs to come with such a heavy drawback. It's not like that extra The Lovers card is going to win the run for you.

Grief.exe

So for Platinum God

• All of the characters beaten the final bosses.
  • All of the characters beaten boss rush.
  • Challenges completed.
  • Babies earned (hard mode through mom).

Am I missing anything?

So for Platinum God

• Challenges completed.

Am I missing anything?

All other items unlocked (e.g. Scissors by dying 100 times)
All other non-unlock related secrets (e.g. make SMB)
Collect each item once

Basically do everything

So for Platinum God

• Challenges completed.

Am I missing anything?

I think you need to pick up all the items too.

LYF7-92WP Is a seed i got today which gave me the Godhead. Catacombs 1 angel room. You get holy mantel on the first floor making it easy not to take any damage and make sure the angel room spawns.

Guppy + Infestation 2 with Ipecac damage is really a wonderful combo. The spiders do damage and create flies which fly in for the kill and create more spiders.

Crazy good tears.
Nah, moderately good tears. That's just a size or two above base Polyphemus, they just look bigger because of the Flat Worm.

There's always a higher damage level to strive for! More damage!

Top Bottom