• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Just finished up the challenges last night - Solar System is a motherfucker.

For those who got the platinum, do you have to beat the game on hard with every character all the way through? If do, then YEESH.

SerTapTap

Just finished up the challenges last night - Solar System is a motherfucker.

For those who got the platinum, do you have to beat the game on hard with every character all the way through? If do, then YEESH.

No, just all unlocks, so only to the heart for everyone but you know who. Though playing as the secret character (
The Lost
) is worse than all the other characters on hard combined anyway. But it's not too bad if you use the seed I posted a couple pages ago. The run's actually pretty fun.

I swear I unlocked
The Lost
properly an hour ago but it didn't happen.

Using seeds for Isaac dying to explosions mullbomb things, Maggie dying to her own bombs in Caves and Judas getting stomped by momma and no seed for Azazel dying to Satan's second form.

Did they change something with the newest patch or did it just not unlock because PS4 shenanigans or did I get something wrong?

SerTapTap

I swear I unlocked
The Lost
properly an hour ago but it didn't happen.

Using seeds for Isaac dying to explosions mullbomb things, Maggie dying to her own bombs in Caves and Judas getting stomped by momma and no seed for Azazel dying to Satan's second form.

Did they change something with the newest patch or did it just not unlock because PS4 shenanigans or did I get something wrong?

I just made sure to die on the first hit on all the first 3, and for Azazel I made sure to die from Satan's blood shots, I don't know if the feet work. If you weren't sure, by "second form" they mean "the one after The Fallen", I hate how everyone words it "second". Because really, there's 2 forms of Satan and one of The Fallen.

I really like the death screen music.

I love the SOUND it makes when it first comes up, I also really like some of the more ominous death sounds some monsters make (can't think of which at the moment, I think the ipecac guys make one of the weird sounds though)

SerTapTap

Fuck Family Man, this is annoying.

Does anyone have tips or a seed? It's getting annoying enough that I'm considering using the seed exploit.

Pray for Demon Baby or Lil Brimstone. Either one should pretty much carry you to victory, somewhat slowly. The fly is better than you think BTW, and hovering over rocks/pits while waiting for the fly to kill things is a boring but often safe technique. Won't help you in the final bosses though.

If you're going to seed exploit...man I don't even know, maybe just look for lil brim or maybe Stopwatch. Not much a single item can do to your DPS without tears. Candles I guess.

I just made sure to die on the first hit on all the first 3, and for Azazel I made sure to die from Satan's blood shots, I don't know if the feet work. If you weren't sure, by "second form" they mean "the one after The Fallen", I hate how everyone words it "second". Because really, there's 2 forms of Satan and one of The Fallen.

I took all shots to my hearts with Satan's brimstone until the last one when I took it by his bullets. Everything else is in order. Frustrating to have failed four time at Azazel's step only to repeat everything for a fifth time and still not have it unlock by doing everything right.

I'll try again later, thanks again Tap!

SerTapTap

I took all shots to my hearts with Satan's brimstone until the last one when I took it by his bullets. Everything else is in order. Frustrating to have failed four time at Azazel's step only to repeat everything for a fifth time and still not have it unlock by doing everything right.

I'll try again later, thanks again Tap!

Huh. I heard of people having issues, I always assumed they either didn't die the way they thought or got the wrong form of Satan (I still don't know if the hooves count, I wouldn't risk it because it'd be easy to die to the leeches).

All the death icons were correct, right? I had to cancel one attempt because a fly hit me just as the Mulliboom did. Should appear as a milliboom, a lone Bomb, I forget what Mom's is, and a pentagram with a devil face drawn on it

Huh. I heard of people having issues, I always assumed they either didn't die the way they thought or got the wrong form of Satan (I still don't know if the hooves count, I wouldn't risk it because it'd be easy to die to the leeches).

All the death icons were correct, right? I had to cancel one attempt because a fly hit me just as the Mulliboom did. Should appear as a milliboom, a lone Bomb, I forget what Mom's is, and a pentagram with a devil face drawn on it

Yeah, as far as I'm aware everything looked 100% in order which is why I think it might be PS4 sheningans again which isn't too much of an issue, I highly doubt I'll be able tp progress on The Lost but I want to try. If it wasn't so tedious I wouldn't have a problem but if it's not going to unlock for me on this save file for whatever reason I might die inside.

I didn't catch Satan's death picture because I died inside IRL but all the other pictures were good.

SerTapTap

Well if it's like the Samson unlock bug, fulfilling the conditions again won't be too bad. And if you want to play as the secret character but it sounds too annoying, consider the seed I posted earlier with Holy Mantle. It's a really fun run, possible, not TOO easy (though after about floor 5 you're breezing through all non-boss rooms), Chest/Dark Room still require skill. Doesn't require any bullshit like waiting for gnawed leaf and waiting an hour for Daddy Longlegs to kill everything.

baconcow

Just beat
Satan
obtaining my 5th
mom kill
. Had a pretty good set of items (Guppy). Difficulty ramped up huge in
Sheol
. Finished with 1 heart remaining. Still some ways to go. Unlocked
Magdalene
Judas
Lord of the Flies
, and
Everything's Terrible
(among some other things) in that run. Guppy + many giant flies (and other fly synergy items) + many giant spiders + super long range, fast travelling, high fire rate, wide shots... made the run possible. Somewhere around 36 deaths in. So addicted, now. Is there still more left? I only have two icons on Isaac's card.

SerTapTap

I know better than to click that, but while googling for a good pic of Loki doing one of his poses I found Loki/Eve shipping fanart and it was pretty weird

Speaking of art I should open my BOI tarot card deck, I got one of the first print run

I thought seeded runs don't count.

They're certainly not supposed to, but there's an exploit that's still live on PS platforms (but not latest PC version). Just enter a seed, exit out back to the save select, then go back in and start a run as normal. The seed is retained but as far as the game is concerned it's a normal run. Since
The Lost
is such bullshit I don't really mind it.

No, just all unlocks, so only to the heart for everyone but you know who. Though playing as the secret character (
The Lost
) is worse than all the other characters on hard combined anyway. But it's not too bad if you use the seed I posted a couple pages ago. The run's actually pretty fun.
I thought seeded runs don't count.

BigAT

Pray for Demon Baby or Lil Brimstone. Either one should pretty much carry you to victory, somewhat slowly. The fly is better than you think BTW, and hovering over rocks/pits while waiting for the fly to kill things is a boring but often safe technique. Won't help you in the final bosses though.

If you're going to seed exploit...man I don't even know, maybe just look for lil brim or maybe Stopwatch. Not much a single item can do to your DPS without tears. Candles I guess.

That big blue fly upgrade that increases the size and damage of your blue flies would help make Rotten Baby better.

aku:jiki

Huh, Experimental Treatment is even seeded... That's somehow even worse! I just used the save scum glitch to use it 5 times to see if it was different, but it did the same thing and dropped me from 2/1/4/2/2/1 to 2/1/3/1/1/1 every time.

They're certainly not supposed to, but there's an exploit that's still live on PS platforms (but not latest PC version). Just enter a seed, exit out back to the save select, then go back in and start a run as normal. The seed is retained but as far as the game is concerned it's a normal run. Since
The Lost
is such bullshit I don't really mind it.
Agreed. I went looking through your posts, and couldn't find
The Lost
seed, would you mind posting it again?

SerTapTap

Huh, Experimental Treatment is even seeded... That's somehow even worse! I just used the save scum glitch to use it 5 times to see if it was different, but it did the same thing and dropped me from 2/1/4/2/2/1 to 2/1/3/1/1/1 every time.

Almost everything is seeded, when running the same run in normal then hard, almost nothing changed even down to the drops of fire pits if the room layout is the same. Donation Machine jamming is not seeded, that's the only major thing I recall.

Agreed. I went looking through your posts, and couldn't find
The Lost
seed, would you mind posting it again?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=143170684&postcount=6750
I also posted some seeds for Meat Boy, Bandage Girl and Godhead, and I just used BASE MENT for all non-special items, after these I just have a few Secret Room items to go, the Boss Rush unlocks I was too lazy to get, Hard Mode babies and a couple other random things. All work on PS4, unsure about Vita and PC. I've had some PC seeds work the same on PS4 and some not. Very confused about the seed situation.

I miserably failed after a long run yesterday where I used dead cat to become Guppy. On the one hand, Guppy is pretty awesome for that challenge but on the other hand, beating that last boss with a single heart and no shots proved too much for me. I even got a double KO on one of my last lives.
Hence the seething hatred for this challenge.

That big blue fly upgrade that increases the size and damage of your blue flies would help make Rotten Baby better.
IIRC, you have it from the start.

Haunted

They prevent...either unlocks of achievements, I would think both, if the game is modded. If it's not that, I dunno.
Didn't do any modding (even though I was tempted to try out the original soundtrack mod).

It did have trouble with the cloud syncing shortly before this, so I assume it's somehow related to that.

SerTapTap

I miserably failed after a long run yesterday where I used dead cat to become Guppy. On the one hand, Guppy is pretty awesome for that challenge but on the other hand, beating that last boss with a single heart and no shots proved too much for me. I even got a double KO on one of my last lives.
Hence the seething hatred for this challenge.

IIRC, you have it from the start.

Do Guppy flies spawn from familiar shots? I've gotten Guppy pretty rarely. ~60 Mom kills,I've been guppy maybe 5 or 6 times. I guess I lucked out, I don't think I played any challenge more than 3 or 4 times so I don't really hate any of them. Solar System and Family Man are my least favorite though, and Demo Man just makes me sad because of how shit Dr Fetus is now.

hbkdx12

Do Guppy flies spawn from familiar shots? I've gotten Guppy pretty rarely. ~60 Mom kills,I've been guppy maybe 5 or 6 times. I guess I lucked out, I don't think I played any challenge more than 3 or 4 times so I don't really hate any of them. Solar System and Family Man are my least favorite though, and Demo Man just makes me sad because of how shit Dr Fetus is now.

I'm pretty sure guppy's flies only spawn when you hit with your primary tears/weapon

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
God damn I've been getting wrecked by this game recently. I probably need a break but I'm so close to True Plat and only a few won runs from completing hard mode.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I love XL floors, in fact I'd love the game even more if it were just XL only floors. It just seems more fun for some reason.

Almost everything is seeded, when running the same run in normal then hard, almost nothing changed even down to the drops of fire pits if the room layout is the same. Donation Machine jamming is not seeded, that's the only major thing I recall.
I know, but it doesn't really make sense nor is it necessary for ET to be seeded. I don't get why they bothered to code that.

I found one weird thing. I've heard something about devil deals not being properly seeded so I did the same thing on one; first time I entered, it was three items. I left, died, killed the boss and from then on it was Krampus every time I tried (5 times again). Why would that happen? (I realize now that I should've probably tested it on more than one devil room...)

I love XL floors, in fact I'd love the game even more if it were just XL only floors. It just seems more fun for some reason.
Basement XL floors are awesome. Free item rooms and a fast and easy devil room. Anything below that is terrible, though, since you miss one shop and one devil room per 2 floors.

Personally, I think the size between XL and normal is the best one. I think it happens (sometimes?) with Curse of the Lost, and sometimes it just happens for no particular reason.

SerTapTap

I know, but it doesn't really make sense nor is it necessary for ET to be seeded. I don't get why they bothered to code that.

I found one weird thing. I've heard something about devil deals not being properly seeded so I did the same thing on one; first time I entered, it was three items. I left, died, killed the boss and from then on it was Krampus every time I tried (5 times again). Why would that happen? (I realize now that I should've probably tested it on more than one devil room...)

Basement XL floors are awesome. Free item rooms and a fast and easy devil room. Anything below that is terrible, though, since you miss one shop and one devil room per 2 floors.

Personally, I think the size between XL and normal is the best one. I think it happens (sometimes?) with Curse of the Lost, and sometimes it just happens for no particular reason.

I still don't understand devil deals. When looking for God Head I noticed the instructions said if you get hit on an earlier floor you get a devil deal instead of a god room...I really don't get how that works, I thought getting hit affected chance only, not which room.

Hard mode seems to very frequently give me "large but not XL" cellar/basement levels. Not sure what the deal is with that. Does Hard deliberately add more rooms to floors?

XL floors would be my favorite if not for missing out of devil deal, shop and secret/super secret rooms. Also they can make finding the ONE super secret room a huge pain in the butt if there's multiple possible areas for it.

Yeah, they did spawn when my familiars hit. I didn't expect them to TBH.

What made that last boss a chore was that the 4-5 familiars following me made the whole scene unreadable. I don't care about getting hit when I fuck up but it's unnerving when you never saw a shot in the first place.

SerTapTap

I usually don't get mixed up by my familiars, but Peeper + Peep is confusing as hell. I know the more dilated eye is Isaacs, but I swear I take damage almost every time I fight Peep with that stupid item and it never even helps in battle.

Well, I finally beat that challenge through sheer luck: I ran into a D1 in the Cathedral and rerolled into Lil Brimstone, Leech and that yellow fly + a shitload of hearts.

corn_fest

I usually don't get mixed up by my familiars, but Peeper + Peep is confusing as hell. I know the more dilated eye is Isaacs, but I swear I take damage almost every time I fight Peep with that stupid item and it never even helps in battle.

There's also the fact that the hitboxes on Peeps's eyes are waaay too big.

saturnine

MZDZ DFFH: Super Meat Girl. Works on PS4 (are seeds really platform specific? I keep finding seeds that seem like they're PC but happen to work on PS4). Gotta go all the way to Womb 1, works on hard mode, dunno about normal.

RKV8 O883 Super Meat Boy. Grt Book of Revs, use it once on every 1 floor. Apparently it breaks it if you use it on a II floor. (still in the middle of it but looks legit)
tried the super meat girl seed on ps4.
First rider : ball of bandages
second boss : devil deal BRIMSTONE + THE PACT AWWW YEAH
second rider : cube of meat

tried that on hard. are seeds character specific?

SerTapTap

tried the super meat girl seed on ps4.
First rider : ball of bandages
second boss : devil deal BRIMSTONE + THE PACT AWWW YEAH
second rider : cube of meat

tried that on hard. are seeds character specific?

You used the book of revs on Basement 2? Can't do that, Ball of Bandages will only show on the "1" floors. And I don't think you can get Meatboy on that seed due to Mom/Mom's Heart ruining the meatboy chain. In fact that seed made me wonder if Book of Revs always alternates or what. But that's not useful info anyway unless you get book of revs on floor 1 anyway, and sometimes Headless Horseman or Conquest show up to wreck your day anyway.

Seeds arent' character specific, except that I think if your character starts with an item that randomly appears in a run, it gets rerolled--not an issue here. They are difficulty specific, but only if an "alternate floor" boss replaces a normal one and that alt boss has a specific drop. I forget if this was hard or normal, maybe try on normal. And just in case I was Azazel to speedrun it.

Lazyslob

Banned
Lump of Coal is a damage up for every type of build except maybe Epic Fetus, I'm not sure how that could ever be considered awful. It is easily the superior Krampus drop.

yeah its good when your build is already crazy buts its not very good especially early in the game. id rather take a krampus head

SerTapTap

Krampus' Head is great, but I'll almost always take a good or better passive over almost any Use item just because there's no juggling, no thinking, just pick it up and go. Can't stand when I get to The Chest and 3 of the damn items are use items.Past Mom's Heart Krampus' Head isn't even a huge deal, not since it mostly lost it's ability as a room cleaner due to the long recharge.

All goals complete for save file #2, just gotta collect the stuff I've unlocked! Time to start on #3... Not to pat myself on the back too much but not even the streamers like Cobalt or Bisnap have triple real platinum status. Am I the only one stupid enough to do it?

yeah its good when your build is already crazy buts its not very good especially early in the game. id rather take a krampus head
But that doesn't make any sense... It's a damage up that stacks with everything but a few unique items, meaning it's especially good if your build isn't great.

Lazyslob

Banned
But that doesn't make any sense... It's a damage up that stacks with everything but a few unique items, meaning it's especially good if your build isn't great.

its known lump of coal is bad. i mean you've been playing the game youve never noticed before that its not a very good item?
and its only damage up the longer the tear is on screen. if you have a fast tear it doesnt do shit. thats why its only good with like small planet or something

saturnine

You used the book of revs on Basement 2? Can't do that, Ball of Bandages will only show on the "1" floors. And I don't think you can get Meatboy on that seed due to Mom/Mom's Heart ruining the meatboy chain. In fact that seed made me wonder if Book of Revs always alternates or what. But that's not useful info anyway unless you get book of revs on floor 1 anyway, and sometimes Headless Horseman or Conquest show up to wreck your day anyway.

Seeds arent' character specific, except that I think if your character starts with an item that randomly appears in a run, it gets rerolled--not an issue here. They are difficulty specific, but only if an "alternate floor" boss replaces a normal one and that alt boss has a specific drop. I forget if this was hard or normal, maybe try on normal. And just in case I was Azazel to speedrun it.
I thought the book of revs shenanigans only pertained to the cube of meat seed, not the bandage one. I didn't find it my run. May have been a teasure room item? I couldn't check, I didn't find any key because hard mode.
Wait, maybe it's because I'm still on 1.01? Could the version of the game alter the seeds?

SerTapTap

I thought the book of revs shenanigans only pertained to the cube of meat seed, not the bandage one. I didn't find it my run. May have been a teasure room item? I couldn't check, I didn't find any key because hard mode.
Wait, maybe it's because I'm still on 1.01? Could the version of the game alter the seeds?

Oh, wait, my bad. Did you go all the way to Womb 1 and still didn't get it? I wouldn't think version would affect the seed, but I'm on "1.03" as reported on the PS4 main menu, I THINK I played that seed in hard mode, but unsure, I know I played as Azazel.

one85x

One of the patches definitely changed it so that you could only get a cube of meat or a ball of bandages.

test_account

XP-39C²
To unlock The Lost, if you dont do the 4 deaths in order, do you have to start over again? I finally found one of those bomb enemies, but after that i did the death run with Azazel, not knowing that i had to do them in order. Do i have to start with Isaac again and find one of those bomb enemies? It took me like 50 tries to find one and get killed by it :\

SerTapTap

To unlock The Lost, if you dont do the 4 deaths in order, do you have to start over again? I finally found one of those bomb enemies, but after that i did the death run with Azazel, not knowing that i had to do them in order. Do i have to start with Isaac again and find one of those bomb enemies? It took me like 50 tries to find one and get killed by it :\

Yes, in order, single session, no deaths in between. Use seeds for Isaac (and maggy if you want to be safe). You can use seeds with Judas but it's pretty unnecessary. No seeds allowed for Azazel. Finding mullibooms is insane without seeds (seeds work for sure for that, I and many, many others did it that way)

saturnine

Oh, wait, my bad. Did you go all the way to Womb 1 and still didn't get it? I wouldn't think version would affect the seed, but I'm on "1.03" as reported on the PS4 main menu, I THINK I played that seed in hard mode, but unsure, I know I played as Azazel.
Ok, will try later with Azazel in normal and hard.
One of the patches definitely changed it so that you could only get a cube of meat or a ball of bandages.
wait seriously?
guess us europaupers still can't catch a break ahah

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes, in order, single session, no deaths in between. Use seeds for Isaac (and maggy if you want to be safe). You can use seeds with Judas but it's pretty unnecessary. No seeds allowed for Azazel. Finding mullibooms is insane without seeds (seeds work for sure for that, I and many, many others did it that way)
I see, thanks for the info. I guess i will try to use a seed the next time for it. I wonder why they put those type of challenges in the games. I mean, its pretty much impossible to unlock The Lost without having to read online or something on how to do it. I like things that can unlock under very rare condition, but this combination for The Lost is virtually impossible to happen by chance i'd say. I think its a bigger chance to win the national lottery.

Manu

Okay, so this is where the Wiki says Isaac's Tears should be:

10858430_10205612727227428_6142934542041817916_n.jpg

I'm getting pissed now.

Haunted

The game has just stopped giving me achievements on Steam. Got three unlocks in 2 different sessions and I didn't get the corresponding achievements.
Made sure the Cloud saves were the newest ones, redownloaded the game and deleted the local saves.

Achievements work again, yay! Though I did lose two successful runs with Samson and Eve, they're not showing up on the character select screen even though I know I did them.

Here's hoping they manage to fix this whole cloud syncing save bug and achievements not popping (on PC and PS4, from what poor Manu is reporting).

Manu

I got exactly zero deals with the Devil on my last three runs.

I'm convinced now that the game suddenly hates me.

Top Bottom