• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

Guppy + Infestation 2 with Ipecac damage is really a wonderful combo. The spiders do damage and create flies which fly in for the kill and create more spiders.

Nah, moderately good tears. That's just a size or two above base Polyphemus, they just look bigger because of the Flat Worm.

There's always a higher damage level to strive for! More damage!

Satan usually dies slower than that on an average run from me. I know you can get crazier, but those alone would be good enough to run all the way to the final boss no problem. And after a certain point being even more OP doesn't mean much since everything dies anyway.

CassSept

Secret room items suck, I ran through 57, yes, 57 levels of BASE MENT without seeing a SINGLE secret room item. No missing no, transcendence, and fortunately I found Black Lotus in an earlier run.

Oh man, you're missing out. I had a Missingno run earlier today and it's a hilarious item. I just took everything in the path including all devil room items (I was playing Maggy so I had an abundance =of red hearts) and every floor was just so exciting. Especially when I had Monstro's Lung + Ipecac which is absurd... unless you get a tight room with unbreakable laser eyes and lumps; I ended the floor barely with 1 hp... and then respawned on Sheol with full 11 hp. Just hilarious, insane, completely unexpected run up through The Lamb.

Novocaine

Lol no. This is the game fucking me over without giving me enough knowledge to realise this would fuck me over. If the game just tells me what it does then I can use my brain and decide on the correct strategy. Then I can apply rational thought to the situation. There's no strategy involved if I'm not given the information required. It's just trial and error. The fact someone said just now that this is why you always look things up says it all. You wouldn't have to look things up if the game gave you the right amount of information. It's bad design. You can still teach through experience whilst still giving the player the information they need in the first place.

As for the name of the card, it still didn't mean jack. It still could have done any number of things and the only way to know what was to use it. I actually assumed it would turn by tears in to those ones that come back at you like in that challenge.

No offense, but this post is hilarious coming from someone named "I Wanna Be The Guy".

SerTapTap

Oh man, you're missing out. I had a Missingno run earlier today and it's a hilarious item. I just took everything in the path including all devil room items (I was playing Maggy so I had an abundance =of red hearts) and every floor was just so exciting. Especially when I had Monstro's Lung + Ipecac which is absurd... unless you get a tight room with unbreakable laser eyes and lumps; I ended the floor barely with 1 hp... and then respawned on Sheol with full 11 hp. Just hilarious, insane, completely unexpected run up through The Lamb.

Yeah it sounds like a fun or at least funny item (would have made a funny challenge), I think I'll do a seed to get it, it's one of very few items I'm missing. I might have unlocked it late, I've been lazy about getting boxx unlocks. A few people are missing just the boss rush unlock and Maggie's missing a few things and waaaa I hate maggie.

CassSept

Yeah it sounds like a fun or at least funny item (would have made a funny challenge), I think I'll do a seed to get it, it's one of very few items I'm missing. I might have unlocked it late, I've been lazy about getting boxx unlocks. A few people are missing just the boss rush unlock and Maggie's missing a few things and waaaa I hate maggie.

Maggie is still the worst, true. Even worse as I seem to never get + damage items on her nor devil rooms for some ludicrous rng reason. I felt bad throwing Holy Mantle run, but it was just borderline impossible even if I had ton of health if I had absolutely atrocious dps.

autoduelist

Ok seriously, what the actual fuck? I was having a good run and about to fight satan when I pick up a card I've never had before. So I use it. And I fucking die instantly. I'm sorry but this is fucking poor game design. Shit like this is why the game should tell you what items do. It isn't fun to have a run fucked up like that. It's frustrating and for all the wrong reasons. At the very least a warning when using that specific card would have been nice. WARNING: THIS ITEM INSTANTLY KILLS YOU. ONLY USE IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TO REVIVE YOU AFTER DEATH. DO YOU STILL WISH TO USE IT? How hard would something like that be? God I'm so pissed off right now.

The game has permadeath and is a roguelike. You used a card called Suicide King. One death in hundreds of games to learn what a card does. This is not bad design, and the card does have uses.

This is actual roguelike design. This is the game expecting and teaching actual experience, as in you as a human gaining knowledge and wisdom and not filling a numbered bar with more numbers.SNIP
And, I mean, there's also the hint that the card is called Suicide King.

Yes, exactly. Try picking up a cockatrice corpse in Nethack. Heck, try quaffing unidentified potions in Nethack. But both have extremely good uses once you learn how to handle them correctly.

Getting upset at death in a roguelike is like getting upset that we're all gonna die someday -- it's a fact, get used to it, and appreciate the fact that at least games like Nethack and BoI allow you to restart whenever you want.

Lol no. This is the game fucking me over without giving me enough knowledge to realise this would fuck me over. If the game just tells me what it does then I can use my brain and decide on the correct strategy. Then I can apply rational thought to the situation. There's no strategy involved if I'm not given the information required. It's just trial and error.

You're looking at it backwards -- that is to say, from the existence of a single game. It doesn't matter that your one character died. It's immaterial, you're being too attached to a single playthrough. Permadeath games (roguelikes) are about the meta-game -- the hundreds or thousands of deaths you'll face along the way to transcendence.

The game did not fuck you over. It taught you a lesson. If you rage about a single death, then perhaps permadeath games are not for you. But that does not mean it's bad design -- in fact, it's probably my most valued trait in a game.

The game gave you solid hints about the card -- 'Suicide King'. You chose to use an unknown item on a playthrough you were enjoying, rather than, for example, dropping it and waiting till you find it on a run you didn't care about. Or, even better, saving it until you had a dead cat or ankh or other source of more lives.

It's no different from equipping a dagger in a roguelike that ends up being a cursed piece of crap, or finding out the hardway something poisons or stones you, or discovering that, if wearing armor, you sink to the bottom of the lake and drown.

Thanks for all this. I've gotten infinite D6 a bunch of times with Isaac but I didn't know there were specific ways to reroll angel room and secret room items.

I figured it out through trial and error. Angel rooms are the worst, and make sure you look up 'special items' (there are 14) and don't pick any of those up besides the D6. Just having the D6 alone means every time you roll 'godhead', there is a 50% chance that it gets insta-rerolled and becomes something different. Every other special item increases those odds.

The reason it's important to keep lots of items in your item pool if you're rolling for a rare Angel Room item is that, from what I can tell, each time you then cycle through the D6 you have a chance at Godhead/etc. If you burn through your item pools, it stops a full reroll and you just get lunchbox. This cost me a couple hours to learn. Iirc this only applies to sacred heart and godhead in the Angel Room.

SerTapTap

Turned down Blood Rights as ??? and kept The Poop. Next floor was isaac's Heart. Kill me.

edit: fun fact, The Poop can cancel retractable spikes!

Lazyslob

Banned
i havent played in a while and i come back to a nerfed krampus head. i hate krampus enough as it is and the only good thing from that bastard has been nerfed :(

SerTapTap

Tauros as my first item with Maggie. I think it DOES actually make you start slower, and it takes insanely long to charge up the invincibility effect. Why did they even keep Eve and Maggie, they both needed buffs to not be insufferable. I'm moving so slow some enemies are straight up impossible to dodge because they move far faster than me

Haunted

Ok, looking at the Steam forums, I'm not the only one with cloud save syncing issues.

Since I'm only playing on one PC atm, maybe I should just disable the feature altogether until it's fixed, so the game can't get confused.

It's really bumming me out, losing progress/erasing runs is the absolute worst thing that can happen to me in a game like Isaac.

Lethe82

Banned
Well the other characters
ARE isaac, except, possibly, Lazarus, Azazel, and it's not explicitly stated but quite likely that ??? and The Lost are Isaac posthumously

A lot's open to interpretation, but I would say child abuse and attempted filicide are quite probable.

Oh yeah I know that the other characters are Isaac, but with the hearts thing. The only character with more hearts than Isaac is his sister, who died. His sister is probably the source of his guilt and self loathing, as we see a picture of the mother basically loving the sister more. Maybe Isaac was responsible for her death somehow, or blames himself for his mothers insanity.

SerTapTap

MZDZ DFFH: Super Meat Girl. Works on PS4 (are seeds really platform specific? I keep finding seeds that seem like they're PC but happen to work on PS4). Gotta go all the way to Womb 1, works on hard mode, dunno about normal.

RKV8 O883 Super Meat Boy. Grt Book of Revs, use it once on every 1 floor. Apparently it breaks it if you use it on a II floor. (still in the middle of it but looks legit)

I finally completed Real Platinum God.
Bonus:
Cleared the chest using the lost on hard without finding holy mantle OR 9 lives. Stopwatch ftw.

It took me almost longer to find all the secret room/Meat Boy/Bandage Girl items than it did to
earn the Lost items

For those that want what I found to be the easiest way to get the secret room items, look up the various techniques to get infinite D6 and use it on any item pedestal in a secret room. Or create your own item pedestal with a Judgement card becoming a beggar.

Took me about 20 rolls to get my last item, skeleton key.

Bonus tips:
-If your donation machine is low or you don't have a max level shop (to increase item appearance chances), farm up with Azael (which you should do anyway because the
stopwatch
is one of the most OP items in the game and makes
the lost
runs very manageable).
-If you are missing several secret room items and not going for one-two specific ones, just keep restarting as isaac and bomb any wall in the first room with your starting bomb. I managed to find a couple of secret room items quickly this way.
-Don't put a 1000th coin in the donation machine, it resets to 0. Instead, bomb it immediately and then use it forever on as a coin for bombs trade.

Additional thanks to YianGaruga for getting me back on the right track when I lost my save file progress.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Went to sheol and destroyed him. This game is so much fun but it can be frustrating at times when you don't get what you want...

Manu

Brimstone + Tammy's Head + Wiggle Worm is now my favorite combination.

I destroyed Satan in two seconds flat (well, the second phase. Once I saw the hooves, I pressed L2 and he was toast.)

Holy shit that felt great.

Finally got The Real Platinum God!!

I got lucky and found Guardian Angel in an Angel room. And then got Scapular and Sharp Plug on the first floor in another run. Which led me to rerolling secret rooms items until I got Transcendence and Missing No. Feels good.

The seed with Scap+Sharp Plug won't work for others unfortunately. I had to bomb the donation machine to get enough coins to buy it.

aku:jiki

lump of coal is awful. the only time its been useful was with small planet or which ever the one is where it spins around you
Lump of Coal is a damage up for every type of build except maybe Epic Fetus, I'm not sure how that could ever be considered awful. It is easily the superior Krampus drop.

Haunted

Lump of Coal is solid, Krampus is now fairly situational with the 6 charges for an active slot.

On a related note, I think there aren't enough items in the Krampus pool considering how often you fight him.

Gandalf

I am addicted to this game. So much fun. I'm still trying to get used to all the items, working out good combinations. I've killed mother and the womb, so I'm definitely getting better!

Camwi

Monstro's Lung + Proptosis + Chocolate Milk = O_O

EWDE
CRFD (PS4)

My previous two runs (before the one I posted) have been pretty crazy. First was another attempt at beating The Lamb with Maggie (spoiler alert - I died way before reaching him). Ended up with Technology, Technology .5, and Triple Shot, so I was shooting lasers like crazy. But the real kick in the balls in that run was getting three Cubes of Meat, but not the fourth. :(

After that, I decided to give Eden a shot. Started on Hard with the sole intent being beating It Lives. Had a really hard time at first, barely scraping along, when all of a sudden I beat a certain boss and BAM, there sits Brimstone. That really helped a ton, but the fight against Satan really kicked my ass. I got to The Lamb with barely any help left, died, but WAIT, Guppy's Collar to the rescue!

So then I had the fight of my life against The Lamb where I couldn't get hit once and I BEAT THE MOTHERFUCKER! By the end of the fight I was just shaking with adrenaline. This game is so friggin' good.

SerTapTap

Anyone? I googled but didn't find anything.

Unlock should work no matter what, trophy might have just been a bug, I'm missing a few kill trophies, will just have to make a diff file if they don't have a retroactive unlock. You're sure you didn't use a revival item that spawned you as a different character?

Nice, I got to set up a Brimstone-based Jera break, saw several synergies I hadn't seen before. Started out with 100% loki's horns quad brim, found the Knife and saw the barrage of knives and ended up with a Ludovico wheel of knife murder with homing. Sadly not very much shot speed to go with it, though...

So then I had the fight of my life against The Lamb where I couldn't get hit once and I BEAT THE MOTHERFUCKER! By the end of the fight I was just shaking with adrenaline. This game is so friggin' good.
You just experienced the game at its best! It's fun to do things like I just wrote above and create builds that melt bosses in less than 2 seconds, but the game truly shines when your build is just perfectly balanced to the increasing challenge. Not overpowered, not underpowered, just enough that you can make it with just the right amount of struggle.

Manu

Unlock should work no matter what, trophy might have just been a bug, I'm missing a few kill trophies, will just have to make a diff file if they don't have a retroactive unlock. You're sure you didn't use a revival item that spawned you as a different character?

Absolutely sure. I even posted the vid of my first Isaac kill here.

Oh, wow, I had no idea the "pop-ups off" option existed and now I feel stupid. All those seconds wasted watching black heart animations!

SerTapTap

Oh, wow, I had no idea the "pop-ups off" option existed and now I feel stupid. All those seconds wasted watching black heart animations!

THAT'S WHAT THAT DOES?! Aw fuck I figured it was for the "appeared in the basement" things which I do want to see (well, not that I have any left now). Turning that on ASAP

Does anyone know if you can get the Book of Belial to stack if you use the Battery?

Does not stack, nor does it stack with the tarot card that activates it's effect
http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/The_Book_Of_Belial

SerTapTap

Bah, I was looking at the original game's wiki page. Thanks dude.

The original wiki is kind of a mess, so I just use the rebirth wiki now. It seems they've gotten over their "pretend rebirth doesn't exist" phase but there's still no clear delineation between Vanilla and Rebirth content across the whole wiki yet.

Gandalf

Just had a pretty decent run with Magdelene.
By the end I had full tear power, full range, decent speed too. Not an invincible run by any means, but it made the bosses fairly straightforward (including Satan)
I managed to find a ladder going down in what I thought was the last dungeon. Awesome!

The seed is YHFY RTDX (PS4) if anyone fancies a go.

Edit: Sorry if this has been asked loads of times, but, I unlocked Samson... Didn't get the trophy? Are some of them bugged?

THAT'S WHAT THAT DOES?! Aw fuck I figured it was for the "appeared in the basement" things which I do want to see (well, not that I have any left now). Turning that on ASAP
Sorry, the wiki apparently lied to me. It just does what you think it does. I was so hoping it'd cut down on the popup animations, I guess whoever put it on the wiki did too. :(

SerTapTap

Edit: Sorry if this has been asked loads of times, but, I unlocked Samson... Didn't get the trophy? Are some of them bugged?

There seems to be a random chance of possibly any trophy not unlocking, but most of mine were "kill X with Y", and also a few "kill X Y times". Roughly 10% of my trophies didn't unlock. Going to be more careful (savescuming) when getting plat god/real plat god because I am NOT doing that again, the rest I think I'll just have to start a new file and beat Mom's Heart 11 times, The Depths 20 times...ugh...

Sorry, the wiki apparently lied to me. It just does what you think it does. I was so hoping it'd cut down on the popup animations, I guess whoever put it on the wiki did too. :(

Oh, back to minor annoyance then.

Gandalf

There seems to be a random chance of possibly any trophy not unlocking, but most of mine were "kill X with Y", and also a few "kill X Y times". Roughly 10% of my trophies didn't unlock. Going to be more careful (savescuming) when getting plat god/real plat god because I am NOT doing that again, the rest I think I'll just have to start a new file and beat Mom's Heart 11 times, The Depths 20 times...ugh...

Oh, back to minor annoyance then.

Ahh that sucks. I don't mind too much at the moment as I'll probably do the requirement again soon. Is this why nobody has the platinum yet? As the harder trophies are bugged too?

Clutch Dark Room Super Secret red heart room! Feed, Dark Bum, feed!

361043827FB64A6AE0C0796D3C0B28E93CAE8A08

SerTapTap

Ahh that sucks. I don't mind too much at the moment as I'll probably do the requirement again soon. Is this why nobody has the platinum yet? As the harder trophies are bugged too?

The plat is at 0.1% so some people have it. Best I can tell it can happen to any trophy, it happened to my "all challenges" trophy, but that one pops if you finish another challenge. The "kill X Y times" ones do NOT unfortunately. Unsure, but doubtful, if the "kill X with Y" ones do. I'm just going to make damn sure I actually get the plat/real plat god ones, golden god and Dead Boy unlocked fine fortunately.

Haunted

The game has just stopped giving me achievements on Steam. Got three unlocks in 2 different sessions and I didn't get the corresponding achievements.

Top Bottom