• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

aku:jiki

Anyone else feel like Latch Key switches from super-common to super-rare after you unlock Everything is Terrible? I started on my third save file today and realized that I had totally forgotten the item since it never, ever shows up on my other save files, but it shows up all the time on a fresh save. Weird, I'd rather have it than an HP up.

MUnited83

For you.
Anyone else feel like Latch Key switches from super-common to super-rare after you unlock Everything is Terrible? I started on my third save file today and realized that I had totally forgotten the item since it never, ever shows up on my other save files, but it shows up all the time on a fresh save. Weird, I'd rather have it than an HP up.

I've unlocked Everything is Terrible and Latch Keys still shows up quite a bit. Like, at least once every 3/4 runs.

I've unlocked Everything is Terrible and Latch Keys still shows up quite a bit. Like, at least once every 3/4 runs.
WTF, I want your copy of the game! I haven't seen it in probably 50-75 hours. I just get Placentas all day, with the occasional Torn Photo or Safety Pin (though so occasionally that my heart stops for a second from the shock of it not being an HP up).

Huggy

I just can't seem to beat The Bloat. The shit he throws on screen seems so unreasonable.
He's ended every run I've had so far.

MUnited83

For you.
WTF, I want your copy of the game! I haven't seen it in probably 50-75 hours. I just get Placentas all day, with the occasional Torn Photo or Safety Pin (though so occasionally that my heart stops for a second from the shock of it not being an HP up).

My version is 1.01 (Vita). Patch not yet live for EU it seems. Might have something to do with it I guess, maybe they nerfed the chance of it showing up on the newer patches.

Lethe82

Banned
Pills -- randomized colors every run, not all pills are in play every game. Once you use one, it's named for the rest of the run. Some good, some bad. IMO always risk it, though wait for end of level in case of Amnesia. Good far outweighs bad for the long haul, even if you might roll bad one game.

Cards --
Tarot Cards do special things, some are quite powerful
Suit Cards (like hearts, spades, etc) double something in your inventory -- clubs= bombs, spades = keys, etc.

There are also runes for that slot unlocked by completed challenges that can be very powerful.

PHD is a passive pickup that not only names all pills for you, but rerolls bad pills into good/neutral pills.

The cards all have the same effects all the time, you'll start to remember what they do as you play more.

The pills are different every run. The PHD item will name all the pills and all effects will be neutral or good.

The thing that multiplies the drops is either a rune which doubles all the droppables (keys,bombs,hearts,cards,pills, etc) in the current room or youre talking about an item that you can get that lets you choose between 2 items after a boss battle.

Sorry how do you use pills and cards XD

SerTapTap

I got D100 in the middle of a BASE MENT run (basement 57), apparently it is also susceptible to "breakfast". I'm still Guppy, the Lord of Flies, but it seems everything but Dead Cat has been turned into Breakfast in my inventory...

Dang, wish you posted that earlier. How'd you find this seed? Wasn't on the wiki.

I didn't cheat for anything else either. But when it's down to something like collectables, the bane of trophy-dom, whatever.

I just googled, pretty hard to find but it was in a random forum thread. Wasn't even on the wiki, I guess I'll add it

epmode

I can't tell you how many times I've been hit by an enemy hiding underneath the map in the upper right corner of the screen. PC version.

Is there any way to hide the stupid map that doesn't involve using the even more annoying BIG MAP?

xkramz

I can't tell you how many times I've been hit by an enemy hiding underneath the map in the upper right corner of the screen. PC version.

Is there any way to hide the stupid map that doesn't involve using the even more annoying BIG MAP?
I think there's an opacity tool in optons? Idk

epmode

I think there's an opacity tool in optons? Idk

That only affects the big map.

I guess I could put opacity to 0 since it makes the big map invisible, then just switch between small map and the invisible big one.

I'd rather have the window resize itself and put the map outside the play area. You know, like they did it in the original.

Haunted

woooooooooooow

(item spoilers)
Lazarus' rags and Judas' Shadow actually count a win as having it completed with the character you respawned as (i.e. Lazarus and Judas), not the character you started with.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Welp. Only Eve, BB, and Laz left for complete hard mode. The three worst characters in the game.... fuck.

cakely

So I've beaten
Mom's Heart
three times now. I did it again tonight, but when I did it, a "holy" door opened in the wall. Rather than open the
giant chest
, I went in.

I died before reaching the next boss, and I guess this run didn't count as beating
Mom's Heart
. Any idea why that door appeared? I had a fully charged bible when I beat it, and a halo, maybe that was it.

I did unlock "coat hangar" when I got into that new area, so it wasn't a total loss.

Joe Molotov

So I've beaten
Mom's Heart
three times now. I did it again tonight, but when I did it, a "holy" door opened in the wall. Rather than open the
giant chest
, I went in.

I died before reaching the next boss, and I guess this run didn't count as beating
Mom's Heart
. Any idea why that door appeared? I had a fully charged bible when I beat it, and a halo, maybe that was it.

I did unlock "coat hangar" when I got into that new area, so it wasn't a total loss.

It still counts as beating Mom's Heart.

Sometimes you randomly get a Devil Room or an Angel Room after Mom's After and you can skip to the next level before it's been permanently unlocked (that'll happen after 11 Mom's Heart kills).

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Need some help. I'm Azazel right now so i have brimestone technically. I got the anti-gravity tear power up and don't want it. If i pick up brimstone from the dark room will it get rid of the anti-gravity tears?

BigAT

Need some help. I'm Azazel right now so i have brimestone technically. I got the anti-gravity tear power up and don't want it. If i pick up brimstone from the dark room will it get rid of the anti-gravity tears?

I wouldn't think so. Anti-gravity isn't really something that can be overwritten.

CassSept

Bah, what a dumb run. I was very powerful, but I missed boss rush room by 4 seconds. I had a prayer card, but only one devil room spawned and it had Krampus. I had great dps, but huge hitbox and no orbitals so dodging damage on It Lives was really hard.

In the end, a run that seemed great but ultimately I accomplished absolutely nothing. Bah.

Awesome, first floor D6 with 3 batteries and 17 cents on the floor! This is gonna be a really sweet start for Samson! Oh, wait, curse of the mothercunting blind...

The mod that does nothing but remove that shit can't come soon enough. It's to the point where it makes me rage quit. :(

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Awesome, first floor D6 with 3 batteries and 17 cents on the floor! This is gonna be a really sweet start for Samson! Oh, wait, curse of the mothercunting blind...

The mod that does nothing but remove that shit can't come soon enough. It's to the point where it makes me rage quit. :(

I don't get this. It's part of the challenge of the game. It's a roguelike. Randomness (ie not knowing your item) is a risk situation. You don't have to pick items up if you don't want to take that risk.

CassSept

I don't get this. It's part of the challenge of the game. It's a roguelike. Randomness (ie not knowing your item) is a risk situation. You don't have to pick items up if you don't want to take that risk.

But with the original BoI curses you could negate their effect by playing good enough. Rebirth curses are worse and it doesn't matter if you play well or not, you can't overcome their effect.

Makes it even more annoying when you play hard mode since you get a curse nearly every floor.

But that's not the right logic for a roguelite design. There's no calculated risk or strategy involved whatsoever, it's just either you take the chance or you don't. It either means grabbing something that might ruin your entire run or forces you to just avoid an entire floor, with a potential 5-10+ items missed (rerolls, shop, devil room, boss room, treasure room, secret room). If you don't want angel rooms, which you don't since they suck, it just forces you to take whatever's in your first devil room. This is like the definition of a completely uninteresting challenge. All you're doing is tossing the dice, with no thought behind it at all.

In fact, I'd argue that it removes thought and strategy from the game. The situation I described above, with the D6 and 3 batteries, was very interesting because I had to decide between rerolling shop (with 2 items in it) or the boss drop (I really didn't want HP). Curse of the Blind just negated that entire dilemma and forced me to make the simplest, most mindless choice possible.

SerTapTap

Anyone trying for 100% collection on PS4/Vita should just use the seed exploit with BASE MENT. You'll easily plow through the entire item room, devil deal and shop item pools, eventually I had loki's horn mutant spider telepathic brimstone knives and was clearing floors (item room, boss and shop included) in 1 minute each or less. Not sure Angel Rooms can even spawn in the basement though, I didn't see any Secret Room items and even Book of Revs didn't seem to spawn enough Harbingers (I got one. ONE) to get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, but I got basically everything else.

It's amazing how seed abuse fixes these stupid game design ideas in an ENJOYABLE way. Like it's not just instant "here's all the items, you don't have to play The Lost", collecting all items in one run in BASE MENT is a ton of fun and a great cap-off after you've already unlocked/beaten everything, and lets you experience some really rare combinations of effects. And The Lost should really, REALLY just start with Holy Mantle. It's still very much a challenge especially by the end, and means you wouldn't need to restart until you get holy mantle and let's be honest that's how basically everyone did it anyway.

Also, savescumming is terrible, but you might want to do it (just upload your save or keep it on your Vita/PS4) just before unlocking any trophy so you don't have something insanely hard to redo break and not give you the trophy. Not sure it'll work for sure, but worst case you have a save file before failing to unlock the trophy for when/if they actually fix the trophies.

There's nothing challenging, interesting or risky about collecting all items (spam D6 and reset), The Lost (spam reset until holy mantel) or curse of the blind (RNG potentially fucks you over in ways varying from minor to impossible to overcome, alternately you lose a floor's worth of items through no fault of your own). That's all stupid bullshit and should never have been included in the game in the first place.

But with the original BoI curses you could negate their effect by playing good enough. Rebirth curses are worse and it doesn't matter if you play well or not, you can't overcome their effect.

Makes it even more annoying when you play hard mode since you get a curse nearly every floor.

It's really just Curse of the Blind that sucks that much. And Curse of Darkness on Vita but that's really just the gamma problem, everything that causes Darkness (those wall demons and Dark One) is way too dark on Vita even at max brightness indoors.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does beating Mega Satan actually count for anything in this game? I ask because it's the only end boss that isn't tracked on the character select screen, and I don't remember unlocking anything the one time I did beat it.

BigAT

Does beating Mega Satan actually count for anything in this game? I ask because it's the only end boss that isn't tracked on the character select screen, and I don't remember unlocking anything the one time I did beat it.

I believe that counts as the final ending, but I think that's it. Kind of odd that there is so little fanfare for dealing with the hardest boss in the game.

SerTapTap

I believe that counts as the final ending, but I think that's it. Kind of odd that there is so little fanfare for dealing with the hardest boss in the game.

Also the most fun boss. It's so lame you can't reach him on every run and there's so little incentive to fight him (also, if you beat the other final boss and die to Mega Satan does it ruin your streak?).

But yeah I think it's only an ending, the Save icon, Real Plat god's ending completion, and of course the enjoyment of beating him.

I'd hazard a guess that he's not a completion mark boss because it's a pain in the ass to even reach him on a normal run

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Also the most fun boss. It's so lame you can't reach him on every run and there's so little incentive to fight him (also, if you beat the other final boss and die to Mega Satan does it ruin your streak?).

But yeah I think it's only an ending, the Save icon, Real Plat god's ending completion, and of course the enjoyment of beating him.

I'd hazard a guess that he's not a completion mark boss because it's a pain in the ass to even reach him on a normal run

Being a pain in the ass doesn't stop them from having The Lost.

SerTapTap

I repeat: Family Man is shit.

Rotten Baby makes it possible, also ideally get some extra babies from Devil Deals, my Demon Baby saved my ass in that one. Lil Brim would be even better (but lol 2 hearts). Rotten Baby is sorta weird, I try to hover around an enemy until the attack fly gets aggro, then you can safely retreat and several more flies will spawn and attack the same target. If you can get Boomerang it's also mildly useful, or even better Krampus' head. I had Tammy's Head in my run, not terrible for normal rooms but useless damage output for bosses.

Being a pain in the ass doesn't stop them from having The Lost.

True. I'd like to see more focus on the True Final Boss in the expansion, including a permanent unlock or at least some way to guarantee he shows up. Fighting him with Azazel is intense since you have to get SO close

I kind of wondered how viable an endless basement run was to unlock every item, as this seemed more interesting to me than refilling until you got a scenario where you could abuse D6.

I understand the reasoning why seeded runs should prevent unlocks but there might be a balance to be found where certain seeds should become complete mods with things unlocking while playing in these modes. Just put a high enough barrier of entry to these modes to balance them out.
Typically, if someone has unlocked Godhead, open up an endless Basement mode for them to legitimately see every item in the game in one run.

Yeah, by itself, it gives you the final ending and changes the icon of your save file.
It's also a requisite for Godhead.

So basically, there's no achievement or trophy that explicitly tracks it but you need to have done it to unlock every ending and every item.

Edit 2: I'd also like a better presented library where you could view every enemy and boss you've faced with K/D stats, etc.

joshmitchell

Neo Member
Each time you beat the game, does the level progression become longer?

After the first time I beat the game and played a new run, more levels were added before facing mom.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Rotten Baby makes it possible, also ideally get some extra babies from Devil Deals, my Demon Baby saved my ass in that one. Lil Brim would be even better (but lol 2 hearts). Rotten Baby is sorta weird, I try to hover around an enemy until the attack fly gets aggro, then you can safely retreat and several more flies will spawn and attack the same target. If you can get Boomerang it's also mildly useful, or even better Krampus' head. I had Tammy's Head in my run, not terrible for normal rooms but useless damage output for bosses.

True. I'd like to see more focus on the True Final Boss in the expansion, including a permanent unlock or at least some way to guarantee he shows up. Fighting him with Azazel is intense since you have to get SO close
Lil Brimstone was how I got Family Man done.

SerTapTap

Each time you beat the game, does the level progression become longer?

After the first time I beat the game and played a new run, more levels were added before facing mom.

Not exactly, but multiple events in the game will eventually make new runs harder, longer or contain more items. You're not done yet, to say the least.

Even Lil' Brimstone wasn't doing much damage for me.

He's not amazing, but if you get into the rhythm of his shots (after the first shot you do NOT need to wait for his cheeks to puff up all the way) you can do decent enough damage to kill any boss. Charge, release, then hold again, a benefit of Lil Brim is he charges WHILE firing unlike your brimstone. Works best with facebuttons IMO since it's a tap release action.

Top Bottom