• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Oh, wait, my bad. Did you go all the way to Womb 1 and still didn't get it? I wouldn't think version would affect the seed, but I'm on "1.03" as reported on the PS4 main menu, I THINK I played that seed in hard mode, but unsure, I know I played as Azazel.

Yeah neither seed worked for me and I'm on version 1.01. But I thought 1.03 fixed the seed exploit? Or is that only on the PC?

aku:jiki

Damn it, Eve, this is why no one invites you to their parties. Always bumming everyone out!

Uje8ReF.jpg

microfolk

The Lost
plays NOTHING like a 1CC run in any game I've ever played and I've played a few dozen bullet hell shmups. There is NO GAME that starts you with ONE hit, NO bombs, NO lives. That is not the challenge of 1CC clears.

Off the top of my head there are the requirements for Ketsui Ura Loop. :p But I concur this isn't really a fair comparison, and yeah The Lost is quite silly, though I'm pretty cool with the thought that maybe I won't be able to get The Real Platinum God.

This is so cool. :O
And for everyone who didn't click on the link it's nsfw as hell but only for the mild-gore, there isn't anything sexual or even suggestive at all.

SerTapTap

Yeah neither seed worked for me and I'm on version 1.01. But I thought 1.03 fixed the seed exploit? Or is that only on the PC?

It's like 1.03.1 or something that nerfs bum and krampus, fixes seed exploits, breaks secret rooms, all the nasty shit. Safe and preferable to update on PS platforms, though EU is screwed until early next year because of SEC europe.

Damn it, Eve, this is why no one invites you to their parties. Always bumming everyone out!

You can use a bomb to push pickups out of the way--though in that room you could just bomb the other rocks too. I don't mind hearts early in a run though because there's almost always an arcade with blood machine to hit up before Mom.

BTW do curse rooms/blood machines count against devil deals?

I see, thanks for the info. I guess i will try to use a seed the next time for it. I wonder why they put those type of challenges in the games. I mean, its pretty much impossible to unlock The Lost without having to read online or something on how to do it. I like things that can unlock under very rare condition, but this combination for The Lost is virtually impossible to happen by chance i'd say. I think its a bigger chance to win the national lottery.

The unlock for the secret character was supposed to be a meta game a la the Fez thing I guess, but it was a bit too stupid and people ended up hacking it before it was found normally. Shouldn't have included achievements for it if they didn't want it to be found early (and even then might have been hacked first anyway). Finding the death posters is also REALLY stupid, who kills themselves in a sacrifice room AFTER unlocking an extremely late game item?

The unlock for the secret character was supposed to be a meta game a la the Fez thing I guess, but it was a bit too stupid and people ended up hacking it before it was found normally. Shouldn't have included achievements for it if they didn't want it to be found early (and even then might have been hacked first anyway). Finding the death posters is also REALLY stupid, who kills themselves in a sacrifice room AFTER unlocking an extremely late game item?

*slowly raises hand*

Honestly though I learned of its existence and what those did long before I had access to the necesary items.

You can use a bomb to push pickups out of the way--though in that room you could just bomb the other rocks too. I don't mind hearts early in a run though because there's almost always an arcade with blood machine to hit up before Mom.
What I did was go kill the boss, take the devil deal, go back and open the chest with no worry, but it's funny/annoying that such a small thing can be an actual problem for Eve.

BTW do curse rooms/blood machines count against devil deals?
No, and sacrifice rooms don't either.

SerTapTap

What I did was go kill the boss, take the devil deal, go back and open the chest with no worry, but it's funny/annoying that such a small thing can be an actual problem for Eve.

No, and sacrifice rooms don't either.

It's actually a kind of interesting mechanic, I've had a high soul-heart run with Azazel where I've actively tried to remove all my hearts so I could keep getting 1/2 heart effects and pay with soul hearts (thanks, Bum). This of course was on one of the few runs where I was finding eternal hearts left and right. There were FIVE non-angel room eternal hearts in my The Lost run too. WTF.

Actually come to think of it, a high Sin/Faith stat by default would go a long way to improving Eve. More "defense", less actual health to actually pick up, more viable in general.

Speaking of, does anyone actually use sacrifice rooms? Best case you get what, golden chest? I only do them if I'm at 1.5 hearts because it's a sure thing, seems to have fairly low per-heart spawn rate otherwise. Curse Rooms are so insanely more worth it on average. I'd say on average I com out with more health than I went in with due to 2 black heart spawns or red chests with soul hearts.

Actually come to think of it, a high Sin/Faith stat by default would go a long way to improving Eve. More "defense", less actual health to actually pick up, more viable in general.
I agree. She really should start with Bible Tract, Black Lipstick or Demon's Tail. In my experience, the Tail is the most effective one so I guess she can't start with that...

Speaking of, does anyone actually use sacrifice rooms?
I play hard mode, if that matters, so I always use them on the first floor where red heart damage doesn't matter. I'll usually clear the floor and boss, then do cursed rooms and sacrifice rooms and finish off with picking up any soul hearts on the floor or finding tinted rocks. Sacrifice room can end up being pointless or it can end up giving me that bomb I needed for the tinted rock, but that's the same roll of the die that goes for anything in this game.

SerTapTap

btw, does anyone else have the gamma cranked nearly all the way up? It's seriously too dark for me to play normally.

Which version? I find it's fine on my PS4, though shadows are a bit hard to watch on some floors. Vita doesn't have a gamma option and is just near unplayable in too-bright conditions during curse of darkness. I can certainly see needing to adjust the gamma depending on how dark your display is though, curse of darkness/dark one's darkness effect can be a bit too much.

CassSept

Look for the ladder before going down the pits. Ladder=treasure room (or extremely rarely the black market) The ladder is rarer than a straight level skip, unfortunately.

Yeah I know, but I never had level skip before (black market once and some treasure rooms) so I just rushed in. It just pained me that I totally wasted a decent run (no Depths II treasure Room, no Polaroid/Negative and then I had Curse of Labyrinth on Womb so no more Devil Rooms when I was packed with 9 hp, bah).

I had to turn mine up a fair amount (PC). It wasn't even for Curse of Darkness, normal levels were just too dark to see easily sometimes.

I do it for Curse of Darkness, but generally I try not to mess with it cause it always bothers me thinking if I'm playing the game as intended or too bright, with washed out colors and all.

Sanjuro

Never got into the game much. Decided to play today ten times. Beat it once towards the end after figuring some things out.

Is there any indication or knowing what walls can be blown up? Any other tips for someone who barely knows what the fuck is going on?

Is there any indication or knowing what walls can be blown up? Any other tips for someone who barely knows what the fuck is going on?
There's no visual indication on the wall itself, but rather on the map. A secret room is always connected to at least two rooms, preferrably three, and it prefers to be connected to the shop (though that isn't 100% true). If you see an empty space connected to three rooms, the first thing to check is that the connecting walls in each of the three rooms actually have walkable ground. If one of the rooms has a pit or block where the entrance would be, that's not the secret room.

Super secret room does the opposite: it will only be connected to the map in such a way that it does not touch any other room but the one that has the entrance. Like the regular secret room is generally as close to the shop as it can be, the super secret is generally as close to the boss room as it can be (often in the room right before the boss).

Keep in mind that the first floor has slightly different logic so as to not make the secrets too easy to find, and as such isn't a good floor for you to practice on. Every floor after that will use the logic I described above. Also keep in mind that secrets are your secondary use for bombs, the primary use is to blow up so-called tinted rocks. They're rocks marked with an X and, on every floor except the Womb and Sheol, are a different color than other rocks. They contain goodies you want more than the coins generally available in a secret room.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Well that was fun
EM6F K1HS (PC)

homing Quad ipecac technology with guppy

Stoze

I watched Northernlion's recent video where he beats The Chest with The Lost on his first time trying on camera. It gave me some motivation to man up and do runs without restarting or trying the seed glitch.

How foolish of me.

SerTapTap

Curse of the Unknown is FUN™ when playing with Eve. Especially two floors in a row! According to Mom's Foot I only had one heart left and none of the soul hearts I thought I did. Fun. All I need is Hard mode Heart and Boss Rush and I never have to use her again.

i hate this rat bastard

Are you going right up on the same horizontal plane as him? Don't. Just run around in front of him at a fair distance, and know his tells. His face changes a bit when he's about to shoot Brimstone, walk the opposite way then (or just stop moving), otherwise he spits out a few bloodshots WITHOUT a tell (I think), just be far enough and you can reverse course or weave between them. If you get behind/next to him he does an unpredictable charging attack that's really annoying, not worth it unless you know exactly what you're doing.

He used to be my least favorite first floor boss, now it's Pin. Pin just takes too damn long.

Keep in mind that the first floor has slightly different logic so as to not make the secrets too easy to find, and as such isn't a good floor for you to practice on.

Oh so THAT'S why the obvious room is wrong half the time when I try that.

SerTapTap

This game is honestly making me mad but I can't stop playing. Addiction is awful.

Yeah, same. I've started a one run per day rule. Then I'll stop after I get platinum (though I need 20 fucking The Depths completions on a new file because of that stupid $^#$%^ #$%^ $@! #@$ trophy bug)

Though I'm mostly just mad that I should be playing other games.

Jarsonot

This game, man...

I only have a few (well, 6 or 7) icons left to get on the post-it notes, have 7 or 8 challenges beat. Started trying the BASE MENT exploit (PS4) to try and get super meat boy and bandage girl.

Plan was to just keep running through basement with Isaac and D6 things until I get the combination of items I'd need for unlimited monster manual.

First try I was pretty far in, had the habit and 9-volt I think, and foolishly used dice room 1. Didn't know it would take my D6. =)

Second time I was pretty far along but monster manual popped up. I grabbed it thinking It'll just take longer now without the D6. Started reading up on the process and found out you want to keep monsters alive with the 9-volt and it'll charge as long as there's a monster in the room. Bomb your way out, come back in, repeat.

Well I had also grabbed too many familiars and basically couldn't keep anything alive, or it was annoying to try.

Try three! Had moms knife (for the first time) and figured I'd only get items that buffed ME, but nothing that attacked independently of me. I'd be the one-man killing machine.

Worked pretty well for awhile and I messed it up somewhere. Don't remember what I did.

Each time starts off kinda slow, get to where I have enough money and keys to reliably shop every time. Reroll shops til I get 9-volt, or one of the other 2. Hopefully get "There's Options" sooner than later.

Eventually I get powerful, and can run through floors pretty quickly. If I get a prize I don't like I reroll if I can, but othereise leave it. It takes a little while to get there, but you get there.

But what's the best item combo, do you think? I've seen a few different strats, what's your opinion on the best/quickest/easiest to pull off?

Nun's Habit from shop, 9-volt from shop, pyromaniac, and any infinite bomber is what I've been going for...

I tried that seed posted earlier (sorry, forgot by who) with a lengthy description of how to do it, but it didn't work for me. I wonder if I'm updated to the latest version or not and maybe that's it. The store didn't have what the description said and there was nothing in the spider pot.

Thanks for any advice, I've got plenty to do with bosses and challenges in the meantime. =)

SerTapTap

I tried that seed posted earlier (sorry, forgot by who) with a lengthy description of how to do it, but it didn't work for me. I wonder if I'm updated to the latest version or not and maybe that's it. The store didn't have what the description said and there was nothing in the spider pot.

That was my seed--someone else who tried apparently couldn't get it to work without patch 1.03, which means if you're in Europe you're currently SOL, other seeds may work, may not. Try the Bandage Girl seed hough, it doesn't use the Book of Revs method, just happens to have 4 harbingers.

BASE MENT is not a suitable seed for Meat Boy it seems, even with Book of Revs I only saw two Harbingers in a >50 floor run. BTW don't bother with BASE MENT before all boss unlocks, otherwise you'll need to run again to grab the new stuff (unless babies are the only ones you still need)

Made it to Satan for the first time got him to second phase. Was lacking dmg only had little brim and by mistake picked up bobs trolley brain.

How do you unlock Cathedral btw?

Got Golden God last night, after 29+ failed runs with eve, I finally got a good run going (decent damage, no Red hearts, and full spirit/dark hearts) and the devil deal on Necropolis I was Brimstone/Mom's knife.

So I figured, great time to go through boss rush (Barely made it in). Got the boss rush but it decimated my hearts, and spirit hearts failed to appear in womb 1 and 2, ended up dying again to Mom's heart ( though at least she has SOMETHING on her post-it now)

after that I jumped into an isaac run, I figured I would go after the chest and golden god, but at the very least a mom's heart kill would happen. I got every damage up from the devil deals, fire mind, piercing tears, shielded tears, rosary, ceremonial robes, just about every good familiar except for the bums, lots of good passives, tons of range, tears, and shot speed ups, full spirit hearts, Guppy happened, mulligan, and in the chest I got Ipecac (which I sort of picked up accidentally, I really thought it was Rubber cement).

The ipecac shots caused the screen to shake, and could two shot the cage, the adversary, and the really fat boss. Just destroyed blue baby. a really fun run and felt really good after all those failed Eve runs.

SerTapTap

I've accidentally picked up Ipecac as well, it's really not so bad though. Good damage and very predictable unlike Dr Fetus. Amazing damage, unlike Bob's Brain it's easily worth a pickup unless you have like Soy Milk or something (don't get soy milk)

Made it to Satan for the first time got him to second phase. Was lacking dmg only had little brim and by mistake picked up bobs trolley brain.

How do you unlock Cathedral btw?

Either the same way to got into Sheol (but with an Angel room) or just beat The Heart 11 times and you get to pick.

I think there's some trick to hurting yourself less with Bob's Brain but I just stay away from that infernal thing.

Either the same way to got into Sheol (but with an Angel room) or just beat The Heart 11 times and you get to pick.

I think there's some trick to hurting yourself less with Bob's Brain but I just stay away from that infernal thing.

Ye i ran into it when i was back tracking i was like NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! there goes the run.

There is. It will not launch twice in the same direction, so if you're fighting for example The Maw and you stay to the left of him constantly firing right, Bob's Brain will only launch once and then stay idle. He will launch as soon as you fire in another direction.

Ye i ran into it when i was back tracking i was like NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! there goes the run.
Man up, dude, it's really not that bad!

BigAT

I have a "no Bob's Brain" rule as well, but I decided to ignore it once and grab Bob's Brain anyway because I had Dr. Fetus.

"I already have to be careful with Dr. Fetus, so this is the only acceptable time to pick Bob's Brain," I thought.

WRONG. Turns out the way it frequently worked out was firing the bomb and Bob's Brain, Bob's Brain hitting first and that explosive sending the initial bomb bouncing right back into my face. Fuck Bob's Brain.

SerTapTap

Absolutely never been in a situation where I thought "gee I would have won that if I had Bob's Brain". Making less stupid mistakes will help my runs far more than a teensy bit of risky damage ever would. I can kill things and dodge just fine.

Jarsonot

That was my seed--someone else who tried apparently couldn't get it to work without patch 1.03, which means if you're in Europe you're currently SOL, other seeds may work, may not. Try the Bandage Girl seed hough, it doesn't use the Book of Revs method, just happens to have 4 harbingers.

BASE MENT is not a suitable seed for Meat Boy it seems, even with Book of Revs I only saw two Harbingers in a >50 floor run. BTW don't bother with BASE MENT before all boss unlocks, otherwise you'll need to run again to grab the new stuff (unless babies are the only ones you still need)

I checked. I'm on 1.03, and the seed still doesn't work for me. 2 coins in spider pot, no sharp plug in store, PS4 here.

Ah well, gonna BASE MENT til I get what I need, I suppose =)

SerTapTap

I checked. I'm on 1.03, and the seed still doesn't work for me. 2 coins in spider pot, no sharp plug in store, PS4 here.

Ah well, gonna BASE MENT til I get what I need, I suppose =)

Sharp plug? It's not a sharp plug seed, you just use book of revs on every first floor to get Harbingers that all happen to drop the thing you need (I forget if that was meat boy or bandage girl). Like I said, BASEMENT is probably not going to work, it doesn't seem to properly spawn harbingers.

You're using these seeds, right?

Holy shit, I just found a completely natural Ipecac+Pyromaniac+Libra seed! No rerolls, no shenanigans, just open the item rooms on floors 1, 3 and 5. They're in the perfect order too!

This one goes on my "save forever" seed list. Next one I want to find is the ultimate breaking seed: Scapular, 30c, Sharp Plug and Habit on the first floor. That one's unlikely but it can exist and must be found!

Seed was MQJ2 2FQX1 (PC).

Jarsonot

Sharp plug? It's not a sharp plug seed, you just use book of revs on every first floor to get Harbingers that all happen to drop the thing you need (I forget if that was meat boy or bandage girl). Like I said, BASEMENT is probably not going to work, it doesn't seem to properly spawn harbingers.

You're using these seeds, right?

Ah, we're talking about different seeds. The one I'm talking about is from a post a page back or so, detailed instructions along with the seed. On floor 2 I should find a shar plug in the store, but it's not there. Everything else up to that was accurate (in the descriptions) except for something supposed to be in a lot in a spider room.

Anyway. =) I'll try yours

SerTapTap

Oh, any sharp plug seed will probably be a lot more painful than the two I posted. Both are totally normal playthroughs to Womb 1's boss with only minor caveats (spam book of revs, only on 1 floors)

Though that makes me wonder, are Monster Manual and D6 rolls seeded?

Whaaaat? I just had a run single-handedly decimated by Guppy's Tail! I know taking it means you risk missing one or two consumables for chests you can't open, but it freaked the hell out and turned literally 100% of all room drops into chests. I've never been that fucked by RNG ever, I don't think.

Was such a great Lazarus start too. Blood of the Martyr, eternal heart so I could easily kill myself and gain the stat boost, couple of soul hearts... Then Guppy's Tail struck and I got nothing for four floors until I gave up.

NotLiquid

Haven't played in a while, good to kick back and get a breather after all my classes are done for the year.

nOgGCIY.png

Guppy Transformation + Infested Baby + Dark Bum + Brimstone + A Lump of Coal + Bob's Brain + Mr. Mega

Feeling fortunate about Brimstone replacing Technology in this run since my screen had flies everywhere.

BigAT

For all the bitching about her, I'm in the middle of an absolutely absurd Eve run. I got Thunder Thighs in the first treasure room (never got it before), then immediately stomped out a Quarter in the next room. Bought Hive Mind and ended up getting Guppy already by the first floor of the cellar and Juicy Sack too so I have a ton of big blue spiders and flies around me wrecking everything in sight. Also have Goat Head and some other upgrades.

Manu

Just beat the Chest for the first time. Yeah!

Which means I got the unlock and the trophy but still no Isaac's Tears.

I hope they find a way to patch that.

Top Bottom