• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

Oh my god Tiny Planet is the fucking meanest shit. Accidentally picked it up with Monstro's Lung. It travels like 1 foot around you before hitting the ground. Found Ludvico technique, thought "thank GOD I'm saved". Well...Tiny Planet just makes the damn tear move completely randomly and counter your own movements. Thanks, Ed. Also Monstro's Lung seems to mean the floating tear randomly drops and pops and respawns.

Lazyslob

Banned
Are you going right up on the same horizontal plane as him? Don't. Just run around in front of him at a fair distance, and know his tells. His face changes a bit when he's about to shoot Brimstone, walk the opposite way then (or just stop moving), otherwise he spits out a few bloodshots WITHOUT a tell (I think), just be far enough and you can reverse course or weave between them. If you get behind/next to him he does an unpredictable charging attack that's really annoying, not worth it unless you know exactly what you're doing.

actually he's not that bad but i HATE his little ghosts. especially since they always make you fight them in the cellar when you are weak. they hit me everytime and gets me pissed cause i want those devil deals. those little ghosts are so hard to dodge

SerTapTap

I just had to do this once. Couldn't pass up the chance. Gnawed Leaf too good. (hard to see, but a Demon Baby is doing most of the work. Sissy Longlegs helped though.)
B5RpIUrCIAACjDN.jpg

Is there a reason Rebirth Wiki is using fucking awful smudgy sprites instead of pixel perfect ones?

Lazyslob

Banned
I just had to do this once. Couldn't pass up the chance. Gnawed Leaf too good. (hard to see, but a Demon Baby is doing most of the work. Sissy Longlegs helped though.)

Is there a reason Rebirth Wiki is using fucking awful smudgy sprites instead of pixel perfect ones?

because all their stuff is early. doubt they really care to update

There's no visual indication on the wall itself, but rather on the map. A secret room is always connected to at least two rooms, preferrably three, and it prefers to be connected to the shop (though that isn't 100% true). If you see an empty space connected to three rooms, the first thing to check is that the connecting walls in each of the three rooms actually have walkable ground. If one of the rooms has a pit or block where the entrance would be, that's not the secret room.

Super secret room does the opposite: it will only be connected to the map in such a way that it does not touch any other room but the one that has the entrance. Like the regular secret room is generally as close to the shop as it can be, the super secret is generally as close to the boss room as it can be (often in the room right before the boss).

Keep in mind that the first floor has slightly different logic so as to not make the secrets too easy to find, and as such isn't a good floor for you to practice on. Every floor after that will use the logic I described above. Also keep in mind that secrets are your secondary use for bombs, the primary use is to blow up so-called tinted rocks. They're rocks marked with an X and, on every floor except the Womb and Sheol, are a different color than other rocks. They contain goodies you want more than the coins generally available in a secret room.

Good tips! I totally ignored secret rooms for a long time and have been using them recently, they make a huge difference. I went from never opening a shop to buying minimum two items per run. I didn't know about the super secret rooms, found a couple on my last run that helped a lot.

What exactly are these tinted rocks? I kept an eye out for them on my last run and didn't see any. And what do they drop? Hard to believe it could be better than the potential black and white hearts in the secret rooms.

I just had an amazing run, I was about to put my Vita away and decided to do one last run. I got Guppy's Head (I think, whatever the nine lives one is) in a devil room early on. I usually pass on that, but I figured why not. After that I got double shot, got extremely lucky and got three Tear Up pills, and a few damage-ups. I got an HP-up and a few silver hearts, but died to Mom. I then amazed myself by killing Mom with only 1 heart.

On the way to
Mom's Heart
I got Guppy's Paw and Tail, making it the first time I've ever been Guppy. That ended up being every bit as powerful as I've been lead to believe, I absolutely destroyed the boss in a few seconds.

I love this game so much, I've been playing it almost daily since it came out and still feel like I have a lot to learn. These tinted rocks for one, but I feel like my general lack of knowledge still hurts me a lot. For example, I don't get to Mom every time, but basically every time I manage to kill Mom I get the Boss Rush room. The problem is that I don't know all of the items well enough to know if any of them are worth it most of the time. I did the Boss Rush tonight and one of the options was an item I'd never seen before. Turned out it was Spelunker's Hat, which didn't end up being worth the trouble to get.

Anyway, thanks for the tips, I don't post often because I don't really have anything to add but reading this thread helps a lot.

Ferrio

Banned
What exactly are these tinted rocks? I kept an eye out for them on my last run and didn't see any. And what do they drop? Hard to believe it could be better than the potential black and white hearts in the secret rooms.

There's rocks that have an X on them and are sometimes offcolored. When bombing them you'll usually get soul hearts, but sometimes other things like keys/bombs/chests.

Also skulls will drop cards and sometimes items like dry baby when you bomb them.

Mushrooms have a chancej to drop pills and mushroom themed items when you bomb them.

There's rocks that have an X on them and are sometimes offcolored. When bombing them you'll usually get soul hearts, but sometimes other things like keys/bombs/chests.

Also skulls will drop cards and sometimes items like dry baby when you bomb them.

Mushrooms have a chancej to drop pills and mushroom themed items when you bomb them.

By skulls you mean those round faces that spit bullets at you until you clear the room and then fall asleep?

I've almost tried bombing mushrooms a couple times but decided I didn't want to risk wasting a bomb. That's one thing that's tough about this game, if I get a run going somewhat good I'd rather try to beat it than experiment.

Ferrio

Banned
By skulls you mean those round faces that spit bullets at you until you clear the room and then fall asleep?

I've almost tried bombing mushrooms a couple times but decided I didn't want to risk wasting a bomb. That's one thing that's tough about this game, if I get a run going somewhat good I'd rather try to beat it than experiment.

No there's actual skulls lying on the ground in the depths, much like the mushrooms.

SerTapTap

You're kidding. ALL of the collectables I'm missing are secret room items, and I regularly visit them. They're pretty unreasonably rare.

because all their stuff is early. doubt they really care to update

No, I noticed on Sissy Longlegs wiki they actually removed a pixel perfect version for a bilinear/compressed mess version. Even the low res icons for categories and stuff are wrong.

edit: Random fact: Suicide King is NOT seeded (8ETR M2M9 on PS4 has Suicide King in the right room, use Lazarus to test it). Can be very worth it (two item room items) or kinda meh (3 chests of random type and a few pickups)

I can't unlock the lost on the ps4.
I'm getting killed by these mullibooms with isaac.
I bomb my self do death with magdalene in the caves.
I'm getting stomped to death by mother with Judas.
I'm getting killed by Satan and not by the Fallen or satan's feet.

Are there any other requirements?

SerTapTap

Are you kidding me. Are you fucking KIDDING ME. The last achievement I have, after otherwise 100%ing the game, is locked because I haven't died enough. God damn it. Now to die 21 times as the secret character I guess.

edit: I think seeds are SUPPOSED to be cross platform. The majority of PC seeds I try (when there's only PC) on the Rebirth Wiki work, or are sometimes only slightly off (they say adjacent to starting room but it's not, but it's still on first floor). There must be some weird conditions where they don't work.

edit2: Seeds are not platform specific. I'm 98% sure. Variances occur because of different unlocks (and potentially hard mode). I keep trying PC seeds and they work just dandy on PS4 with all unlocks v1.03

Manu

Well, I just beat Dark Room and unlocked Golden God.

Still pissed at Isaac's Tears not unlocking (I know, I should let go at this point) since I tried a seed for it and it's a pretty good item.

EDIT: Just realized I unlocked The Polaroid but never got the achievement either. It did unlock the item though.

SerTapTap

Well, I just beat Dark Room and unlocked Golden God.

Still pissed at Isaac's Tears not unlocking (I know, I should let go at this point) since I tried a seed for it and it's a pretty good item.

EDIT: Just realized I unlocked The Polaroid but never got the achievement either. It did unlock the item though.

Trophy bug affects TROPHIES not unlocks. Dead Boy is the only actual unlock I recall being broken. If you found the item in a seed, you unlocked it. Seeds will be different if you have/are missing unlocks.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
Seeds are weird. I've saved some good seeds now and then but when I try some of them now they're completely different. Are they perhaps affected by certain item unlocks and/or Everything Is Terrible?

I can't unlock the lost on the ps4.
I'm getting killed by these mullibooms with isaac.
I bomb my self do death with magdalene in the caves.
I'm getting stomped to death by mother with Judas.
I'm getting killed by Satan and not by the Fallen or satan's feet.

Are there any other requirements?

I posted this the other day.

Mine never unlocked doing everything correct. Getting to the point where I'm ready to move on instead of challenging myself to Platinum.

Superflat

Are there any specifications for killing Mom for it to show up on your stats? Because mine still says I only beat Mom once, but I've killed Mom and Mom's Heart multiple times >:l

SerTapTap

Anyone, please ANYONE with a seed for 1 Up or Trinity Shield let me know. My two missing items, and BASE MENT isn't helping at all, no valid seeds on the wiki.

Seeds are weird. I've saved some good seeds now and then but when I try some of them now they're completely different. Are they perhaps affected by certain item unlocks and/or Everything Is Terrible?

Seeds are definitely affected by that, also patches. Only seeds from True Plat God (minus actually collecting) users should be considered "definitive" or whatever

one85x

Anyone, please ANYONE with a seed for 1 Up or Trinity Shield let me know. My two missing items, and BASE MENT isn't helping at all, no valid seeds on the wiki.
Try this seed as Judas (to guarantee devil/angel rooms): 0C0F DD7E

For me it went: Caves 1: Mind, Caves 2: Wafer, Necro 1: Trinity Shield

Sniff just got my first trophy bugs that I'm aware of. Probably gonna hurt my momentum on this game a bit. These are the types of games where I want to show off my e-peen.

Spineker

Banned
Nine lives is seriously the worst fucking item in the game. It has now screwed me out of 2 perfectly good runs, including my first ever encounter with Satan where I would've kicked his ass otherwise.

cheesekao

Nine lives is seriously the worst fucking item in the game. It has now screwed me out of 2 perfectly good runs, including my first ever encounter with Satan where I would've kicked his ass otherwise.
Why'd you pick it up to begin with? I see no reason to pick it up if you have 3 or more heart containers.

Kerned

Banned
For the Mom's Heart trophies should it pop after you beat it, or only when you open the chest? I got win number 10 last night but took the Devil Room trapdoor to Sheol instead. No "Beat Mom's Heart 10 Times" trophy. Is this normal or did I encounter a big?

rbanke

I play about equal time on my Vita as I do on PS4 and now that I'm playing on hard the inability to continue a run on the opposite device is really annoying. I mentioned it in my previous posts but once I figured out it's hard mode only that I cant use continue on, no one responded. Does anyone have any info on if this is intentional or a glitch? I emailed Nicalis and also tweeted Tyrone but neither responded. Almost makes me want to just play normal.

The other thing that bothers me more and more is the Vita version has serious framerate issues anytime there is even a medium amount of things on screen. I don't know if its in my head or what but it seems to have worsened in the last update.I had 3 runs back to back that were so bad it was like playing in slow motion. The last of those three had Crickets body and split shot and a few followers and I went in one room with a lot of flies and the game just stopped. In a game that dodging is important, this really throws off the dynamic of the game. I keep restarting my Vita hoping that its on my system but I don't think so. Anyone else have this issue?

For the Mom's Heart trophies should it pop after you beat it, or only when you open the chest? I got win number 10 last night but took the Devil Room trapdoor to Sheol instead. No "Beat Mom's Heart 10 Times" trophy. Is this normal or did I encounter a big?

Many trophies are screwed. I have kill moms heart 11 times trophy but not 8,9,10. among many other trophies that never popped. The last patch was supposed to fix trophies but didn't seem to do anything.

Haunted

Azazel really is easy mode. Almost felt bad for
The Lamb.

I'm inching ever closer to the dreaded "I only need 1 item and SMB/Bandage Girl" part of completing the game. RNGesus be with me.

CassSept

Wow, I one shot Family Man. Based Blank Card, I came across it while holding Resistance rune, the shield is ludicrously lengthy. Glass Cannon is hilariously easy though. Well, with 80 hours and 85% of achievements I'm getting ever so closer to having everything done but The Lost. 7 challenges left and Dark Room runs by Blue Baby and Eden. And, as Haunted said, Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. I'm starting to get a really bad feeling about this.

Git gud.

Seriously though, Nine Lives is great.

NotLiquid

I'm playing the Demo Man challenge and I encountered Brimstone

What do, IsaacGAF, do I keep blowing things up or go with the lasers

SerTapTap

Trophy bug, you probably got the unlock. Unlocks generally pop instantly after the kill and going to Sheol is legit, I always do it
I'm playing the Demo Man challenge and I encountered Brimstone

What do, IsaacGAF, do I keep blowing things up or go with the lasers
Dr fetus overrides brimstone despite being a shit item

SerTapTap

That's... unfortunate.

Yeah, it sucks, I'm doing a second run to re-get my torphies now. If you have an old cloud save (from the main menu's upload) and a second PS Platform you can savescum your way back into your trophy, but don't be stupid and erase your main save just to do it. this video has a seed that lets you kill Mom/Heart in 4-5 minutes easy.

Man, that's pretty stupid. I'd imagine that Brimstone would override it even after being picked up after, almost sounds like a bug.

Dr Fetus is still one of VERY few items marked a "special" item in Rebirth. It seems someone in dev still thinks it is a good item.

NotLiquid

Oh my god. I got the Broken Remote and How To Jump in the same run.

I can teleport forever.

EDIT: Teleported into the Challenge Room, snagged Cricket's Head and teleported right back out. This is fucking awesome.

SerTapTap

Finally got my platinum. Going to do a sort of video review and put the game down for a while.

Oh my god. I got the Broken Remote and How To Jump in the same run.

I can teleport forever.

EDIT: Teleported into the Challenge Room, snagged Cricket's Head and teleported right back out. This is fucking awesome.

Yeah that sounded pretty fun. I rarely see that and haven't gotten to try it since I learned what it did.

SerTapTap

Out of curiosity, how many hours? Did you clear everything with everyone on hard mode or only the required achievements, for reference.

I have absolutely no idea I'm afraid, doesn't seem to show that anywhere on PS4 that I can tell. I only did Hard Mode for unlocks, but I still have a majority (but not all) hard mode markers since I always tried to finish a run after the Hard Heart kill and usually did (but wimped out and did The Chest).

Those rocks marked with the X make a huge difference. I always see pictures of people with two rows of silver and black hearts and see people making comments like "Only beginners rely on red hearts" and wondered how people did that. Now I know. I'm getting probably around five or six extra silver hearts per run I was just skipping before.

I was able to make it to
Isaac
for the first time last night, I got killed within seconds but it was still cool to make it that far.

One thing I'm wondering now is whether the ladders that lead to the 2D caves are random or if there's something that tips off which rocks they're underneath. Before last night I think I'd only found like 2 or 3 of those total, and I got two last night while bombing X-marked rocks.

SerTapTap

^If the pit has a ladder in it, it goes to the "crawlspace"/retro treasure room. If not, it's a level skip. I advice against going into level skips unless you know what you're doing as you can miss a boss item/kill unlock, but retro treasure rooms are always good. They spawn from Link's Bedroom's carpet, the Passage rune, the Shovel item and random, not visibly unique rocks.

Ahh good looking our Sir! Any notable changes ?

Dead Boy trophy is fixed and Real Plat God is now possible, for one. Lumps seem to be fixed. I think trophy unlocks are mostly consistent now, otherwise mostly minor stuff. Of note, the nerfs and added bugs of 1.031 all the PC players complain about are not in the game, and the seed exploit still works.

After about 155 hours of vanilla and 54 hours of rebirth (holy crap, already a third of the way there...) I finally
became Guppy
for the first time.

That's the most fun I've ever had.

SerTapTap

After about 155 hours of vanilla and 54 hours of rebirth (holy crap, already a third of the way there...) I finally
became Guppy
for the first time.

That's the most fun I've ever had.

Open Red Chests, always do devil deals, always look in curse rooms...should happen a lot more than that, really. Left Hand also helps. Red Chests have free Guppy Pieces as one of their good items.

Open Red Chests, always do devil deals, always look in curse rooms...should happen a lot more than that, really. Left Hand also helps. Red Chests have free Guppy Pieces as one of their good items.

I had never really tried to do it, honestly. I knew it was a thing but I never actively tried for the items. Would usually pass them up. Doing that was never really a goal of mine. It's quite easy to do if you actively try for it, especially in rebirth.

Top Bottom