• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Lazyslob

Banned
there is nothing more annoying in this game than those troll rooms where it brings you back a room or a random room or whatever. the guy who came up with that suggestion should be fired and fined

SerTapTap

there is nothing more annoying in this game than those troll rooms where it brings you back a room or a random room or whatever. the guy who came up with that suggestion should be fired and fined

It's a curse, Maze I think, not a room feature. It's potentially useful, I think it can let you walk into locked rooms on accident. I don't mind it much, it's a far more benign curse than Blind.

I had never really tried to do it, honestly. I knew it was a thing but I never actively tried for the items. Would usually pass them up. Doing that was never really a goal of mine. It's quite easy to do if you actively try for it, especially in rebirth.

It's always worth it IMO. Guppy is almost a free-win token, and most of the Guppy items are quite good (with drawbacks). I always grab them in devil deal rooms since they're usually just 1 heart, only hesitant about Dead Cat if I have a high HP run going. Collar kinda sucks but it's 1/3rd of guppy with no drawbacks so it's still worth it

It's a curse, Maze I think, not a room feature. It's potentially useful, I think it can let you walk into locked rooms on accident. I don't mind it much, it's a far more benign curse than Blind.

Curse of the Blind has to be the stupidest idea in the game. It's completely not fair to the player, nor does it appreciate skill. It's just something to potentially ruin your run.

Ferrio

Banned

Really fucks with your head though. Especially if you've been drinking.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
vcFF2ew.png

CassSept

218 hours, woah, congratulations.

Tears down pills suck, they ruined my run with both Guppy and Tech 2 because I did no dmg whatsoever (not a single dmg upgrade either, mostly effects and some HP ups on Blue Baby). I could deal with war of attrition for the most part but It Lives proved to be too hard.

Bumhead

Banned
I really love this game, but I'm a bit.. blind and aimless with it.

I just "finished" my first run through and beat Mom. It feels like some different stuff is happening now than it was before I did that, a few new enemies and stuff. What's the main aim I should be shooting for now? Is it just to keep trying to complete further runs and the game adds new stuff in and changes things up after each win?

SerTapTap

Well this is interesting.

Ludovico Technique + Technology + A Lump of Coal

Expandable lasers.

I actually kinda hate it, it's even more annoying to aim than regular ludovico brim/tech. On that note, do NOT take tech if you already have Brim + Ludovico as Azazel, it overrides it and you end up with a weaker, narrower circle. Also the tech that lets you shoot in the direction of the ludovico circle (tech 1? .5?) is interesting in theory but really messes with your head. Anything that distracts me from dodging is a minus.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed

I just "finished" my first run through and beat Mom. It feels like some different stuff is happening now than it was before I did that, a few new enemies and stuff. What's the main aim I should be shooting for now? Is it just to keep trying to complete further runs and the game adds new stuff in and changes things up after each win?
That's right! Just keep playing and you'll start to see tons more unlocks.

SerTapTap

Know what's sad, I saw Dr Fetus in a Mutant Spider run and passed on it because I figured it wasn't worth it. Poor dr. fetus.

Pretty much, but also focus on unlocking and playing as different characters (I'll warn you maggie and eve are pretty bleh). Note the post-it by each character, those icons are for boss kills, you get 1 unlock for each stamp per character. Also, if you see a door after the "next" final boss, take it instead of the chest. Things will get harder, things will get different, things will open up. Also, don't forget the challenges, most of them unlock good to great items.

hbkdx12

Know what's sad, I saw Dr Fetus in a Mutant Spider run and passed on it because I figured it wasn't worth it. Poor dr. fetus.

Dr fetus really needs some kind of buff. The fact that it even scales with damage ups just seems kind of silly to me. Just make it so that the bombs are actually effective

I just completed family man yesterday (managed to squeeze out a win against isaac with half a heart left even though i went in with 4 and a half and had the blue candle) Unlocked epic fetus and immediately did the glass cannon run and had a got damn ball. Both because 1) family man is so strenuous that blowing stuff up with wreckless abandon is just cathartic and 2) it was just a reminder of how terrible dr fetus is.

SerTapTap

Does Remote Detonator not give you 5 bombs anymore?

It should the first time you pick it up

Dr fetus really needs some kind of buff. The fact that it even scales with damage ups just seems kind of silly to me. Just make it so that the bombs are actually effective

Scaling with damage is fine, Brimstone does, Knife does. But they start with reasonable base damage. Dr Fetus is like, 4 tears or something pathetic, I'm pretty sure it's actually lower effective DPS than normal-ass tears. Not remotely worth the risk of blowing yourself up and slowly tossing single bomb by single bomb because spamming is SURE to blow yourself up. Also, while this goes for many types of tears, several bosses are really hard to hit with Dr. Fetus. At least Epic Fetus really, really hurts when it hits Pin, who's a complete nightmare with Dr. Fetus. I don't even want to think about fighting Mask of Infamy or Scolex with that crap.

Haunted

Well that page is for items you've picked up, not unlocked. Unlocks are under 'secrets' in the menu. I have Isaac's Tears as #106.
I hope you're right because I don't have the scissors on that page despite dying 130 times or so.

I thought I picked it up before, but maybe I confused them with the pinking shears or something...

Haunted

Yup! Basically.

For the next couple runs you should focus on beating her again and see what happens, unlocking new characters along the way and paying attention to the character select screen. After a couple successful runs you'll get a sense of the structure of the game and the things you can complete.

SerTapTap

I hope you're right because I don't have the scissors on that page despite dying 130 times or so.

I thought I picked it up before, but maybe I confused them with the pinking shears or something...

You're thinking of the pinking shears I'm sure which unlock far earlier. And I'm certain items only show on that page after collecting, that's what it's for. You need to use it to get plat/real plat god.

Fun fact: if you use the Pinking Shears AND the Scissors in the same room, you move around as an invisible body as Isaac's stationary head floats and shoots tears, and the Pinking Shears body disappears.

Manu

It feels like the game is giving me less and less deals with the Devil now.

Sometimes I'll get to Catacombs or even the Utero without seeing one.

Also, what's there to do after The Chest/Dark Room? Other than unlocking everything I mean.

SerTapTap

It feels like the game is giving me less and less deals with the Devil now.

Sometimes I'll get to Catacombs or even the Utero without seeing one.

Also, what's there to do after The Chest/Dark Room? Other than unlocking everything I mean.

Just the True Final Boss and unlocks basically. You got a hint how to reach it by beating Dark Room I believe.

Devil/angel rooms should be fairly common as long as you don't get hit. If you're getting hit more due to the harder enemies, that'd be why. Near launch I was told Hard mode reduced devil deals but I don't really think that's the case and the wiki doesn't say anything about that.

Manu

Just the True Final Boss and unlocks basically. You got a hint how to reach it by beating Dark Room I believe.

Anything to do with the
missing poster
?

Devil/angel rooms should be fairly common as long as you don't get hit. If you're getting hit more due to the harder enemies, that'd be why. Near launch I was told Hard mode reduced devil deals but I don't really think that's the case and the wiki doesn't say anything about that.

Even if I don't get hit I'm getting almost no Devil rooms :/ It's weird.

hbkdx12

Scaling with damage is fine, Brimstone does, Knife does. But they start with reasonable base damage. Dr Fetus is like, 4 tears or something pathetic, I'm pretty sure it's actually lower effective DPS than normal-ass tears. Not remotely worth the risk of blowing yourself up and slowly tossing single bomb by single bomb because spamming is SURE to blow yourself up. Also, while this goes for many types of tears, several bosses are really hard to hit with Dr. Fetus. At least Epic Fetus really, really hurts when it hits Pin, who's a complete nightmare with Dr. Fetus. I don't even want to think about fighting Mask of Infamy or Scolex with that crap.

Yeah that's the thing, it's so shitty that i feel like the fact that it even scales with damage is some kind of subtle troll to suggest that it was originally too OP (it didn't scale with damage in vanilla isaac IIRC) and that it can potentially be OP if you go out of your way/get lucky enough to get damage ups. Basically it was fine the way it was in vanilla

I had one of northernlions runs on as background noise yesterday and he was using the d4 and he rerolled himself into dr fetus at some point and i wasn't paying too much attention but i'm pretty sure i heard him say that his regular bombs were doing more damage than the bombs from dr fetus. What kind of nonsense is that.

Also, did the latest patch on ps4 not correct the item drops on hard mode? Did a bunch of hard runs yesterday and still found myself struggling with keys, at best getting maybe 2 or 3 the entire run

SerTapTap

Also, did the latest patch on ps4 not correct the item drops on hard mode? Did a bunch of hard runs yesterday and still found myself struggling with keys, at best getting maybe 2 or 3 the entire run

Yes, normal bombs can deal more damage than Dr. Fetus. And no, Hard Mode is still shit on Playstation. Abuse the Seed Exploit while you can as compensation since it makes the secret character less painful, I wouldn't try to main hard mode until it's fixed because it's really damn frustrating as is, for all the wrong reasons. Patch 1.031 fixed hard mode and it's not on PS yet.

Anything to do with the
missing poster
?

Even if I don't get hit I'm getting almost no Devil rooms :/ It's weird.

No, (unlock spoiler)
Missing poster has to do with The Lost. Technically another lategame thing to consider, but not to do with the final boss
. To reach the true final boss (vague spoiler)
there should have been a "the angels await" unlock/hint when you killed The Lamb

Or, slightly less vague spoiler
angels dislike smoke

Questions for you guys.

Last night when I was playing, I got an item that apparently transformed me completely.

Originally, I had quad homing shots that were doing decent dmg. After the item, all those upgrades went away. Isaac became bigger, and I got a familiar that shot really slow, normal tears. But I think it also gave me a big boost in the number of hearts I had.

I'm not sure if this came from the same item, but I also had another attack where if I held down the attack button, Isaac would charge up a shot. When I released, the shot was really big and would fly away from me in circles. If I didn't hold it in and just rapid fired, the shots came out much smaller and did less dmg (still in circles). But they were rapid fire (as fast as I could press the attack button).

I have no idea how I got those upgrades. I really wasn't paying attention I guess.

SerTapTap

I'm not sure if this came from the same item, but I also had another attack where if I held down the attack button, Isaac would charge up a shot. When I released, the shot was really big and would fly away from me in circles. If I didn't hold it in and just rapid fired, the shots came out much smaller and did less dmg (still in circles). But they were rapid fire (as fast as I could press the attack button).

I have no idea how I got those upgrades. I really wasn't paying attention I guess.

Did you pick up Missing No, go over a dice room or use D4/D100? All of those shuffle ISaac's items. Sounds like you got Chocolate Milk and ringworm (or tiny planet depending of what you mean by away from you in circles). I generally avoid those items as if you get a good item then get a build-randomizing item, you'll never get those items again in that run. That also means if you get Guppy it's basically impossible to get Guppy a second time that run.

How does Player 2 get more hearts from Isaac on the PS4?
Options just causes P2 to drop in and out.

Unless I'm missing something, you don't. Co op kinda sucks. You double (or more) your chance of getting hit for significantly less than double the damage.

Very nice! :)

Those remaining things that you have to do are easy after collecting every item =)

Well, not really, you have to start a completely new save file to try and redo trophies. Still it wasn't that hard thanks to Azazel and a Ludovico seed.

NotLiquid

I'm doing a run with Ipecac currently and came across Mom's Knife. Not sure if I should abandon explosions for penetrating/poison shots.

Meckaj

Neo Member
Anyone ever feel like the game gives you freebies after you had a close but a good run?

Died to Satan with Azazel on a pretty good run, then picked Isaac for the next and the first item was Mom's Knife. I kind of always thought Brimstone was pretty much the most amazing item ever but wow.

Then the next items were: Dark Bum, The Relic and Holy Mantle

It was pretty much GG after that.

SerTapTap

Anyone ever feel like the game gives you freebies after you had a close but a good run?

Died to Satan with Azazel on a pretty good run, then picked Isaac for the next and the first item was Mom's Knife. I kind of always thought Brimstone was pretty much the most amazing item ever but wow.

Then the next items were: Dark Bum, The Relic and Holy Mantle

It was pretty much GG after that.

Aside from Hard Mode screwing me out of item rooms I feel I pretty much always have at least an acceptable pool of items in Rebirth, really. The only times I've been majorly fucked over are usually when I accidentally pick up something REALLY bad like Cursed Eye. I always hesitate for like 10 seconds before getting Contact or anything slightly close to Cursed Eye now. I've also gotten Tiny Planet a couple times thinking it was A Small Rock but that doesn't show up in Item rooms...

I'm doing a run with Ipecac currently and came across Mom's Knife. Not sure if I should abandon explosions for penetrating/poison shots.

Personally I would stick with Ipecac because I so rarely get to use it, but Mom's Knife is safer and pretty much the single most effective weapon. Arguably Epic Fetus, but it's much worse in certain normal rooms, on par in bosses, only really shines as it replaces bombs.

Did you pick up Missing No, go over a dice room or use D4/D100? All of those shuffle ISaac's items. Sounds like you got Chocolate Milk and ringworm (or tiny planet depending of what you mean by away from you in circles). I generally avoid those items as if you get a good item then get a build-randomizing item, you'll never get those items again in that run. That also means if you get Guppy it's basically impossible to get Guppy a second time that run.

Hmmmm. Sounds like you're right about the randomized items. Chocolate milk + tiny planet explains a lot after googling them.

I'll try and avoid dice rooms. Now that I think about it, that's exactly what it was (1 pip).

SerTapTap

Hmmmm. Sounds like you're right about the randomized items. Chocolate milk + tiny planet explains a lot after googling them.

I'll try and avoid dice rooms. Now that I think about it, that's exactly what it was (1 pip).

Dice rooms are okay, but a couple of them reroll your items which sucks. 5 is great though, it rerolls the floor letting you keep all items collected. So if you see a 5 you can get the item room, clear out the shop, get the boss and devil deal items, then touch the 5 die and do it all again on a different version of that floor! Less useful below The Depths 1 and basically useless beyond Womb 1 though.

SerTapTap

Why is that (I'm still relatively new to this game)?

After Depths 2 there's no more item rooms (and depths 2 prevents you from going back to reroll anyway) and after Womb 1 bosses no longer drop items, so it's in your best interest to simply keep going. Actually I'm not sure dice rooms even spawn beyond those levels.

Interesting. I didn't realize that. I'll stop full-clearing those levels then (when I actually make it that far, that is).

Thanks for the info :)

Manu

So I was using Azazel and got Dark Bum when I found one of those secret rooms full of hearts. Jackpot!

But then Dark Bum started eating the hearts and giving red hearts in return. So he would eat two/three hearts and then puke another just like them. He did this a few times, while I hopelessly watched and prayed for a soul heart. Nada. He ate every single heart, even the ones he made, and we left.

God fucking dammit.

So I was using Azazel and got Dark Bum when I found one of those secret rooms full of hearts. Jackpot!

But then Dark Bum started eating the hearts and giving red hearts in return. So he would eat two/three hearts and then puke another just like them. He did this a few times, while I hopelessly watched and prayed for a soul heart. Nada. He ate every single heart, even the ones he made, and we left.

God fucking dammit.

The type of hearts that drop are locked by the room. In a secret room full of red hearts, you get only red hearts. To get soul hearts out of it, you have to have him pick up a red heart, then leave the room.

15strong

Yes, normal bombs can deal more damage than Dr. Fetus. And no, Hard Mode is still shit on Playstation. Abuse the Seed Exploit while you can as compensation since it makes the secret character less painful, I wouldn't try to main hard mode until it's fixed because it's really damn frustrating as is, for all the wrong reasons. Patch 1.031 fixed hard mode and it's not on PS yet.

No, (unlock spoiler)
Missing poster has to do with The Lost. Technically another lategame thing to consider, but not to do with the final boss
. To reach the true final boss (vague spoiler)
there should have been a "the angels await" unlock/hint when you killed The Lamb

Or, slightly less vague spoiler
angels dislike smoke

Can you elaborate on the seed glitch and why the playstation hard mode is unfair.Seems unfun to use a seed glitch.

SerTapTap

Can you elaborate on the seed glitch and why the playstation hard mode is unfair.Seems unfun to use a seed glitch.

Attempt to get the secret character's hard mode unlock, then tell me seeds are unfair and that character is more fun as-is.

Hard Mode is presently unfair as all pickups' drop rate was reduced instead of just hearts as was intended. This was clearly called out as a bug and fixed in 1.031 on PC. Lack of bombs and more importantly keys means it's effectively impossible to properly obtain Item Room items in a large sample of Hard Mode runs.

Stet

Banned
Finished all the challenges! Most fun (and easiest) was by far glass cannon.

I've decided that the best item in the entire game is
Goat Head

Top Bottom