• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

So does the Vita version have no co-op at all, even on Playstation TV?

A tiny box I can bring to Christmas dinner and play Spelunky and Isaac on would have been nice.

Gandalf

Started a new file on Vita. Trophies are popping fine now, got a pretty ridiculous run with Azazel last night. So good. I love this game. Love it.

Edit: Anyone got any good Vita seeds to hand? If not I'll check through the thread a bit later on.

Gandalf

Has there been anything from Nicalis on fixing the trophy problems?

I don't know unfortunately. However, I've found trophies are popping better on Vita. On PS4 I've encountered many problems. I don't know if it's just coincidence? Or if it's just luck on my part. I've had no issues so far on Vita though, if I do I'll report back.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Had a pretty OP Cain run last night and managed to beat the Boss Rush, get Golden God and Dead Boy in one go. Fantastic stuff! Really pleased with that. I love when a great run just comes together, makes it all worthwhile.

SerTapTap

Has there been anything from Nicalis on fixing the trophy problems?

The 1.03 patch states trophies should be fixed, but a friend of mine had a trophy fail to pop (forget which one). However, I missed zero trophies out of ~10 after the patch. If you're going for a trophy that's hard to repeat on a second run it can't hurt to savescum ("exit" in a cleared room, go to the file menu, upload your save, continue, if the trophy doesn't pop download and try again). I did that just before getting my trophies this time around but didn't need to actually depend on it. Which is great because finding 1 Up took two Basement seed runs to even find (thank you Sharp Plug and D6)

And the fix isn't retroactive, not sure if they've mentioned if they can/will do that. It seems like it should be easy since all trophies are tried to an unlock.

Europe is still on 1.01 where a platinum is impossible because of some glitches, I have heard that a patch won't be released until the next year.

Different issue, SCEE's cert team went on break, not Nicalis' fault.

Started a new file on Vita. Trophies are popping fine now, got a pretty ridiculous run with Azazel last night. So good. I love this game. Love it.

Edit: Anyone got any good Vita seeds to hand? If not I'll check through the thread a bit later on.

Seeds don't appear to be platform specific. I've tried over 30 PC seeds on PS4, all work. What matters is your unlocks. Only 100% reliable seed is a plat god seed played on a plat god client.

hbkdx12

tried to unlock
the lost
everything was going fine until i played as azazel and somehow got a range down which forced me to have to get extremely close to enemies. Ended up dying to the haunt. Got damn bastard.

SerTapTap

Range Down actually affects Azazel? I really can't tell, on rare occasion I could swear my brimstone laser was slightly longer/shorter, but it's never enough to really be significant. Couldn't tell if I was just going nuts or what.

Haunt as Azazel shouldn't be too bad though. Do NOT get on the same horizontal plane as him. Wait for him to fire, use your Brimstone laser from the front, repeat. If you can charge 2 shots between his attack, adjust accordingly. I believe he attacks on the same timing (except the dash if you're on his plane, which is random) or at least has a dependable delay after a shot.

I wonder if my "The Lost" isn't unlocking because my Maggy trophy didn't unlock or something. Tried again this morning and it was a no go.

Done with the game until a future patch but that's not a bad thing, the game is my very clear game of the year and I got it for free. Amazing.

SerTapTap

Say, was Tri Arachnid removed from the game? I'm not sure I've seen him yet.

I wonder if my "The Lost" isn't unlocking because my Maggy trophy didn't unlock or something. Tried again this morning and it was a no go.

Done with the game until a future patch but that's not a bad thing, the game is my very clear game of the year and I got it for free. Amazing.

Unlocks shouldn't be tied to trophies, only vice-versa. I had several very important unlocks fail to trigger a trophy, further unlocks all worked fine.

hbkdx12

Range Down actually affects Azazel? I really can't tell, on rare occasion I could swear my brimstone laser was slightly longer/shorter, but it's never enough to really be significant. Couldn't tell if I was just going nuts or what.

Haunt as Azazel shouldn't be too bad though. Do NOT get on the same horizontal plane as him. Wait for him to fire, use your Brimstone laser from the front, repeat. If you can charge 2 shots between his attack, adjust accordingly. I believe he attacks on the same timing (except the dash if you're on his plane, which is random) or at least has a dependable delay after a shot.

I have the haunt figured out. He's pretty easy once you know how to handle him (virtually everything is easy with azazel anyway) but i just got screwed badly on my range somehow so i was just taking damage from being too close. It was also double haunts too so that didn't help

Say, was Tri Arachnid removed from the game? I'm not sure I've seen him yet.
He's in there albeit pretty rate. There's a seed i've been using that has him show up in the womb

As far as rare bosses go, i think i've only seen scolex once in all the runs i've had

Had two awesome runs with
The Loat
last night and ended up beating both runs on hard! Now to go through and get the rest of the unlocks and to find all the items. Platinum here I come!

Sickbean

I'm pretty new to BoI so I have no idea what just happened -

I was playing as Azazel, got something called Ludovico Technique and then a bunch of other crazy stuff including a Goat Head. I also had a circle of about 50 flies that decimated anything that my giant red polo mint didn't.

Got to
Mom's Heart
and killed it in about 3 seconds. Crazy.

BigAT

I'm pretty new to BoI so I have no idea what just happened -

I was playing as Azazel, got something called Ludovico Technique and then a bunch of other crazy stuff including a Goat Head. I also had a circle of about 50 flies that decimated anything that my giant red polo mint didn't.

Got to
Mom's Heart
and killed it in about 3 seconds. Crazy.

I've gotten the Azazel/Ludovico combo before, it's pretty insane.

Just bought this game the other day, loving it so far! Managed to defeat Mom, now trying to get through to whatever the new boss in the womb is. Been experimenting with chracters, Azazel seems extremely OP, however it's Sampson that I've had the most luck and furthest runs with so far.

My question is, when should I start looking into all the mechanics of the game? I know that it's quite compex under the hood, with item combinations etc. Is it worth doing now, or waiting until I've completed the main stuff? Any tips or things I should know at the point I have so far gotten to?

SerTapTap

So does the Vita version have no co-op at all, even on Playstation TV?

Does it even work on PS TV yet? I can check tonight now that I thought of it though I may be too late to help. Generally don't assume co op on PS TV though, thus far it's been rarely supported. Cute box has a ton of potential, but it's a bit late in the Vita life cycle to get the full potential out of it. I still love it anyway.

Sounds like you turned into Guppy--a few other items spawn blue flies, but not that many. Guppy spawns blue flies that deal, I believe, 2x base tear damage, once per tear hit. So pretty crazy. To turn into guppy you just have to
collect 3 "pieces" of guppy

My question is, when should I start looking into all the mechanics of the game? I know that it's quite compex under the hood, with item combinations etc. Is it worth doing now, or waiting until I've completed the main stuff? Any tips or things I should know at the point I have so far gotten to?

It depends how much you want to figure out on your own, personally I look up any new "collectable"/pedestal item up on platinum god to see exactly what it does, since some items are deliberately/less deliberately vague and I don't care for that. Other than that (which slowly familiarizes me with all the items and some interactions in the game), I just look up what certain rooms/mechanics do on the Rebirth wiki one at a time when I start wondering "wtf is up with this".

I'd try to pace yourself and not dive too deep, just look stuff up as you play and get curious rather than trying to study up before playing. I like to learn the game somewhat gradually, but I don't have the patience to learn entirely by playing because some interactions are so rare or complicated I still wouldn't know a hundred hours later if I hadn't looked it up. Also I still forget some specific things, and I have the platinum.

CassSept

All Challenges down, putting me at 167/178 achievements done. The 11 left are 7 The Lost achievements, Plat God, Real Plat God... and well, Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. This is so dumb.

Maybe it was changed in a patch or something... but Range Up most certainly affects Azazel, I farmed 999 coins this week and after a lot of resets I definitely noticed the length of the beam changing between resets. It's most noticeable with Number One when you can spam instant short-range lasers.

NotLiquid

I got to The Chest for the first time in my history of playing Isaac. I must say, Sketches of Pain (the new Chest theme) is one of the best level tracks in any iteration of Isaac and easily justifies the new OST. It's come to really stand on it's own.

Went on to unlock
The Dark Room
after that. The atmosphere is damn near incredible and the ending threw me for one hell of a loop. Now for the arduous process of
unlocking The Lost and also fighting Mega Satan.

hbkdx12

I got to The Chest for the first time in my history of playing Isaac. I must say, Sketches of Pain (the new Chest theme) is one of the best level tracks in any iteration of Isaac and easily justifies the new OST. It's come to really stand on it's own.

Went on to unlock
The Dark Room
after that. The atmosphere is damn near incredible and the ending threw me for one hell of a loop. Now for the arduous process of
unlocking The Lost and also fighting Mega Satan.
Assuming your on ps4, using the seed exploit glitch makes unlocking
the lost
fairly trivial. The harder task is beating
the chest and dark room on hard with the lost
. But with the right seed, careful play (and some save scumming if that's your thing) its' doable.

I just beat everything on hard with
the lost
and i'm just glad i don't need to play as him anymore.
right?!?!
I'm having a lot of trouble unlocking Azazel. I never seem to get 3 Satan appearances in one run

Try to avoid taking as much (red heart) damage as possible. If you find an angel room, avoid it. Angel room and devil rooms generally don't coexist in the same run so if you take something from the angel room, any future rooms that spawn during that run will be angel rooms. Also if you get the opportunity to get goat head, take it. It guarantees that devil rooms will spawn. Using book of belial on a floor is suppose to also guarantee or atleast increase the chances that the devil room will spawn

Stoze

The double Cage room in Chest/Dark Room has killed 2 of my runs this week. Is there a trick I don't know to beating these guys other than just dodging like hell? I had Krampus Head and it barely put a fucking dent in them because they have insane health. Also it feels like I'm guaranteed to get hit by those homing rock tremor things at least once or twice.

Hardest room in the game for me, followed by multiple Adversary rooms.

I'm having a lot of trouble unlocking Azazel. I never seem to get 3 Satan appearances in one run

This isn't very helpful, but if you just wait until you luck into a goat's head and you'll be guaranteed to get the rooms. Otherwise just play it safe. Do you look for the tinted rocks? Those seem to have silver hearts pretty often, that'll let you take some hits and still get a devil room.

I just beat
Satan
for the first time!

I got Antigravity and Guppy's Paw, and Dead Cat as Azazel. Antigravity is insane with Azazel, every time you shoot a laser it creates a sort of black hole for a couple seconds that sucks enemies in and does a ton of damage. If bosses move onto them it kills them in a couple seconds.

I didn't get any other great items, but Guppy's Paw and Dead cat let me get three soul hearts every time I died. That and the massive damage from Antigravity was enough to get me through. The last boss died in under twenty seconds.

Kind of crappy knowing it was basically entirely luck, but still pretty cool to actually finish the game for the first time.

I feel like infested baby is one of my favorite items in the game. Maybe the best companion? I don't like lil' brimstone all that much because it basically makes you change your playstyle.

SappYoda

So I beat all the challenges and the trophy did not unlock... I'm in EU. After the patch is released will it unlock? Or I will need to start a new save? Doing beans again will be a nightmare :(

Sickbean

Sounds like you turned into Guppy--a few other items spawn blue flies, but not that many. Guppy spawns blue flies that deal, I believe, 2x base tear damage, once per tear hit. So pretty crazy. To turn into guppy you just have to
collect 3 "pieces" of guppy

Yep, I think I did thinking about it. It was mental - nothing lasted longer than a couple of seconds.

DrunkDan

All I have left to unlock and collect is Godhead and then the dead boy trophy - which I've definitely already done - but I'm still stuck on version 1.01.

And it looks like here in the UK we aren't getting the update until the new year. When the game is patched will the two secrets unlock if I've already met the requirements for them?

All I have left to unlock and collect is Godhead and then the dead boy trophy - which I've definitely already done - but I'm still stuck on version 1.01.

And it looks like here in the UK we aren't getting the update until the new year. When the game is patched will the two secrets unlock if I've already met the requirements for them?
I'm getting to the same point (one run and three challenges left to unlock everything). I have also met the Godhead and Dead Boy requirements but never unlocked them.

I'm torn between finishing whatever I can and start collecting every item or just finishing whatever I can and keep Platinum/True Platinum and Dead Boy for whenever the patch hits.
Is there any downside to collecting every item minus Godhead on 1.01?

DrunkDan

Is there any downside to collecting every item minus Godhead on 1.01?

I really hope not as that's all I am missing. I've read that once it's patched it will unlock the secret then it's just a case of then finding it. Not sure about dead boy though, might have to do another no damage run but hopefully not.

So, I just defeated Mom's Heart for the first time, with Azazel, walked to the big chest in the middle... And it just kicked me back to the title screen. Is this meant to happen? Could it be because I used a seed code? (found an awesome item pool and so kept using the code).

Haunted

So, I just defeated Mom's Heart for the first time, with Azazel, walked to the big chest in the middle... And it just kicked me back to the title screen. Is this meant to happen? Could it be because I used a seed code? (found an awesome item pool and so kept using the code).
Using seeds means you don't get unlocks. Ending sequences show those items and stuff, so it kinda makes sense you wouldn't see one, yeah.

So now that you've practiced on a seed, you can do it for real! :)

hbkdx12

You have to beat mom a certain amount of times before you can unlock the additional floors

Also, unless you're using the seed exploit/glitch, using seeds hinders your progress

Haunted

Finally getting the hang of this game, though I only finished the first basement. Managed to unlock Eve.
nicely done! Progressing in this game feels so good. The game is great at giving you unlocks every step of the way, so you rarely feel you "wasted" your time.

Until the endgame. >_>

NotLiquid

Damn, Moms Knife plus Brimstone is cool.

Mom's Knife + Brimstone wrecked the Dark Room and The Lamb during my last run. I managed to get Eve's Mascara in Sheol as well and even though it significantly heightened the charge time for distance, the damage is incredible.

There's a seed that i've been exploiting that has both and i liked the combo for about 1 floor before it just started pissing me off. Now when i use the seed i just skip moms knife altogether and go straight for brimstone

If you can max out Brimstone's damage then it's serviceable solo, but the damage of actually landing the knife during it's retraction easily beats it on top of the barrage. It's an accuracy vs power scenario when you get down to it.

hbkdx12

If you can max out Brimstone's damage then it's serviceable solo, but the damage of actually landing the knife during it's retraction easily beats it on top of the barrage. It's an accuracy vs power scenario when you get down to it.

I agree. I don't think it's a bad combo but for my playstyle i generally don't care for it. Mom's knife is most effective when you're up close and aren't throwing the knife that far thus it's in contact with them longer (unless you're super stack on damage upgrades that it doesn't even matter) So the fact that i'm not one to heavily charge up my knife throws 1) I was still pretty close to the enemies and 2) it meant that i wasn't get many additional knifes thrown from it synergizing with brimstone and even when i did charge up the knife i don't like the way the additional knife spread out. It's not that much of a spread but the additional knives feel weak enough that you'd want make sure that most of them are hitting. Again, it's not a terrible combo but i just felt like not being able to effectively take advantage of brimstone best quality (infinite range and precision) just made it more annoying than anything for me personally

Gandalf

I sooooo nearly killed Satan with Magdalene. I was literally one more hit away from killing him :( ouch!! (For the trophy)

Oh well... I'm enjoying the game too much to care.

Edit: I also managed to get a Monstro's Lung + Chocolate Milk combo yesterday... It was glorious.

Top Bottom