• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

Playing with ??? is terrible.

I've reached
Isaac
with only 2 soul hearts and I've been able to take half of his life bar, but I couldn't beat him...

But it's the worst character so far: only soul hearts, the poop is literally "a shit"...

??? is not as bad as he seems. No hearts is actually VERY useful with the right item--some things like Whore and Polaroid/Negative proc constantly or on every hit. The important thing for ??? is getting devil deals ASAP and getting items that synergize with no health and/or things that spawn more blue/black hearts. Book of Revs, Satanic Bible, Dark Bum and The Nail are all awesome.

The Poop certainly isn't great, but if you can get very high luck (very rare) or petrified poop (very common) you can get a pickup out of almost ever poop. Less useful, you can also poop over retractable spikes to erase them, unsure about normal spikes (this would require taking damage either way). Also I keep forgetting to try this, but apparently poop acts like a rock when bombed over a 1 space wide gap?

Personally I think ??? is still better than Maggie and the (new) secret character. Though maggie isn't "bad" so much as she is insufferable. Even an otherwise good build on her is so painful without speed ups.

Spineker

Banned
I just dropped dead at the exact same moment as the big golden chest appeared after beating Isaac.

So fucking cheap man.

Also, Azazel with controllable tears (or in this case, red laser) is pretty much unstoppable. Big red circle of death.

microfolk

Hnnnnnngh I need two items before Platinum God and The Real Platinum God, I can't believe I've never bought the Blue Candle but no problem, it's really a matter of a couple runs to get it, but then I miss Steven and I don't know how to drop it? I've just spent 30 minutes restarting in the basement 1 again and again until I got the Steven boss fight, I killed the little one first as I read online but it still dropped Little Steven! I don't want to spend hours and hours restarting until I'll drop the last item ugh, completing The Lost made me insufferable to resets.
I just want to get all the achievements and stop playing Isaac, I've been playing it far too much in the last few weeks while trying to get every achievement, I need to play other games ahahaha.

SerTapTap

Hnnnnnngh I need two items before Platinum God and The Real Platinum God, I can't believe I've never bought the Blue Candle but no problem, it's really a matter of a couple runs to get it, but then I miss Steven and I don't know how to drop it? I've just spent 30 minutes restarting in the basement 1 again and again until I got the Steven boss fight, I killed the little one first as I read online but it still dropped Little Steven! I don't want to spend hours and hours restarting until I'll drop the last item ugh, completing The Lost made me insufferable to resets.
I just want to get all the achievements and stop playing Isaac, I've been playing it far too much in the last few weeks while trying to get every achievement, I need to play other games ahahaha.

You're on a version without the seed exploit I take it? Steven has a rather low chance of actually dropping Steven unfortunately, I think lil steve is 70% chance. It's still a drop from him though, lil steve is ALSO in the boss pool but that's not much help. In theory you could get lil steve then Steven has to drop Steven...but that would take more time than resetting at basement 1.

microfolk

You're on a version without the seed exploit I take it? Steven has a rather low chance of actually dropping Steven unfortunately, I think lil steve is 70% chance. It's still a drop from him though, lil steve is ALSO in the boss pool but that's not much help. In theory you could get lil steve then Steven has to drop Steven...but that would take more time than resetting at basement 1.

Yeah I'm playing on pc. :\
I fear it will take me more time to drop Steven than to get a full Meat Boy, which wasn't all that difficult since the Sharp Plug is a really common item and after buying it it's just a matter of rerolling in the angel room until Scapulars or the Wafer appears. It's still a method which relies on luck a little bit too much but at least you're doing full runs and Sharp Plug + D6 runs are tons of fun, while resetting Basement 1 again and again and again it's just dull and boring and I'm sick of having my finger glued to the R key after The Lost.

I fear it will take me more time to drop Steven than to get a full Meat Boy, which wasn't all that difficult since the Sharp Plug is a really common item and after buying it it's just a matter of rerolling in the angel room until Scapulars or the Wafer appears. It's still a method which relies on luck a little bit too much but at least you're doing full runs and Sharp Plug + D6 runs are tons of fun, while resetting Basement 1 again and again and again it's just dull and boring and I'm sick of having my finger glued to the R key after The Lost.

I would play every seed as Azael (don't bother pressing R more than once) and don't worry about item rooms etc. Just book it to the boss and reset if it's not right.

Also, Azazel with controllable tears (or in this case, red laser) is pretty much unstoppable. Big red circle of death.
I had a Gnawed Leaf + Ludovico Azazel run yesterday, pure hilarity.

Just place the ring so it covers you and wait till things kill themselves.

Playing with ??? is terrible.

I've reached
Isaac
with only 2 soul hearts and I've been able to take half of his life bar, but I couldn't beat him...

But it's the worst character so far: only soul hearts, the poop is literally "a shit"...

I have had this happen to me so many times it's so frustrating. Curse you the poop you are truly shit.

SerTapTap

Does D6 reroll Steven's drops into a Steven item or Boss Room item? If it's just a boss room item after reroll use Azazel I guess because D6 is useless in that case. I dont' think kill order matters for Steven, the Steven item is just rare. Surprised I got it, I don't even remember doing so but it wasn't in my "need to get these" list by the end.

I have had this happen to me so many times it's so frustrating. Curse you the poop you are truly shit.

Do you guys know you can take "too expensive" devil deal items as long as they give soul hearts/black hearts after getting them? Almost anything that gives 1 or more soul heart is worth taking for ???. His build mostly depends on what you can get in those devil deal rooms, ideally you really want something that spawns usable hearts, Guppy, or an OP weapon like Mom's Knife or something.

microfolk

I would play every seed as Azael (don't bother pressing R more than once) and don't worry about item rooms etc. Just book it to the boss and reset if it's not right.

That's what I'm doing, yeah.

Does D6 reroll Steven's drops into a Steven item or Boss Room item? If it's just a boss room item after reroll use Azazel I guess because D6 is useless in that case. I dont' think kill order matters for Steven, the Steven item is just rare. Surprised I got it, I don't even remember doing so but it wasn't in my "need to get these" list by the end.

I think rerolling Little Steven will get you another item in the boss item pool so it's no good, I'm pretty sure that has happened to me yesterday but I'm not 100% sure.
And yeah, searching a little bit more it seems like I'll just have to try again and again until dropping it, it will be fun~

I had an amazing run with the secret character yesterday (Vita).

Got through all the way to beating blue baby (got dead boy!)

unfortunately I decided to test my luck with a Mega satan kill (I had picked up dead cat and despite not being able to see my lives I knew I had lives left)

First run I got him all the way down to his last phase, and he killed me.

After that it was all down hill...

I did get the trophy for the Isaac kill though. I wish so much that I had been playing on hardmode...

*Still no Maggy Isaac kill trophy... I think I am just going to have to do a different file to get that one...*

SerTapTap

Dont' even bother playing the secret character on Normal mode IMO, even without the hard mode fix. The difficulty difference is minor (aside from key drops) and you're just going to have to do it over if you win on Normal. The unlocks you get are nice, but rare enough it's not worth hoping you get them for your hard mode runs.

Dont' even bother playing the secret character on Normal mode IMO, even without the hard mode fix. The difficulty difference is minor (aside from key drops) and you're just going to have to do it over if you win on Normal. The unlocks you get are nice, but rare enough it's not worth hoping you get them for your hard mode runs.

Good to know! I will do that in the future. I hope the Hard mode patch comes to Vita soon. That's about all I have left (and Eve, who I hate to play as...)

SerTapTap

Good to know! I will do that in the future. I hope the Hard mode patch comes to Vita soon. That's about all I have left (and Eve, who I hate to play as...)

The hard mode patch will almost certainly also remove the seed exploit, so plan accordingly. It might be less "honorable", but you're saving yourself a lot of purely luck and time based bullshit by using the seed exploit to start with Holy Mantle for the secret character and more importantly, the infernal "collect all items" thing. If you want to do it "fair" though, waiting for the hard mode patch is probably a good idea. There will be runs where you straight up can't possibly get one (or more) item rooms because of the currently broken drop rate.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I played this on PS4 for the first time today. My reaction. God the PS4 version is fucking ugly compared to Vita! No joke. I cant explain it, but it looked ugly to me. Maybe it's just the fact the game is blown up on the big screen making it look worse. My friend playing with me thought the same. Maybe it just takes some adjusting to. Ran smooth though.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So does the Pentagram only increase the chance of devil rooms? Or does it just increase the chance of either a devil or angel room opening?

So I played this on PS4 for the first time today. My reaction. God the PS4 version is fucking ugly compared to Vita! No joke. I cant explain it, but it looked ugly to me. Maybe it's just the fact the game is blown up on the big screen making it look worse. My friend playing with me thought the same. Maybe it just takes some adjusting to. Ran smooth though.

There are some filters and effects which I though were strange at first, but other than that I thought it looked really good (PC version). The only thing that is really bad is the weird jelly filter they used for the womb levels.
But I generally have no problem with properly upscaled and unfiltered pixelart

SerTapTap

So does the Pentagram only increase the chance of devil rooms? Or does it just increase the chance of either a devil or angel room opening?

Both. Almost all "more devil deal" items do this, unless of course you've taken a devil deal and thus blocked the angel room.

No idea what you're referring to. Totally looks the same, other than the colors.

microfolk

kCmTYWR.png

Eheehehe

Uhuhuhuhuhuhuhu

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHA

Camwi

Finally beat everything and just need to find a few items (10 to be exact). I'll probably use seeds for most of 'em, but one of them that I need is A Dollar. Does anyone know of a seed that for sure will spawn this from a machine? Or do I just need to do a ton of random runs?

SerTapTap

Is there anyone who DIDN'T get real plat god one second after plat god? I'm not sure why they bothered to make two.

Finally beat everything and just need to find a few items (10 to be exact). I'll probably use seeds for most of 'em, but one of them that I need is A Dollar. Does anyone know of a seed that for sure will spawn this from a machine? Or do I just need to do a ton of random runs?

I could be wrong but I dont' think vending machines are seeded. Just start with a quarter seed I guess

hbkdx12

Ever since getting platinum, I thoroughly enjoy this game a lot more (not that i didn't before) now that i know i'm not essentially grinding for items and trying to get on the good side of the RNG gods.

Is there anyone who DIDN'T get real plat god one second after plat god? I'm not sure why they bothered to make two.
In a world that didn't datamine the secret character, there'd probably be a bunch of people who would have naturally unlocked everything else before the secret got out.

dickroach

yeah, I haven't unlocked the Lost yet. I think it would just frustrate me too much. I don't like getting legitimately angry while playing games.

I was going through a run yesterday with Isaac and hard mode, had damn near max stats all around, flying, spectral tears, piercing tears, scythes, 20/20, and only one heart because of a few deals with the devil. I didn't even realize I'd picked up Mom's toenail and not dropped it so all of a sudden I just got STOMPED out of nowhere in the middle of this glorious run. dead. so pissed.
that's how I feel like every Lost run would be like.

hbkdx12

In a world that didn't datamine the secret character, there'd probably be a bunch of people who would have naturally unlocked everything else before the secret got out.
Yeah i feel bad for Ed It seems like it would have legitimately took people quite a while before they stumbled upon how to fully unlock him.

I'm pretty sure people reverse engineered the code from Wrath of the Lamb when it came out for some secret as well that i can't currently remember.

I don't even know if I want to unlock The Lost. Not sure if I want to put myself through the grind I see everyone else going through in this thread. :p

Unlocking him is easy once you know what to do. Doubly so if you have the fortune of using the seed exploit on PS4. Actually beating the game twice with him (assuming you just play on hard) is where the frustration comes in.

SerTapTap

Does Hard unlock anything beyond familiars? Achievements, perhaps?

Only for the secret character, but yes it is required for 100%.

I guess, but there's an achievement for that...even on the PS version. People would clearly know something's up.

yeah, I haven't unlocked the Lost yet. I think it would just frustrate me too much. I don't like getting legitimately angry while playing games.

I was going through a run yesterday with Isaac and hard mode, had damn near max stats all around, flying, spectral tears, piercing tears, scythes, 20/20, and only one heart because of a few deals with the devil. I didn't even realize I'd picked up Mom's toenail and not dropped it so all of a sudden I just got STOMPED out of nowhere in the middle of this glorious run. dead. so pissed.
that's how I feel like every Lost run would be like.

You can use seeds for everything except for the final step, which makes it way easier. I did it on my first try.

SerTapTap

What am I supposed to do with the missing poster?

If you want to embark on a mysterious adventure that's long since been solved:
Kill yourself with it in the sacrifice room. Yes, you will still game over, no it will not help your current run.

If you're a sane person who prefers to be sane and accepts some spoilers (about the secret character):
Dying in the sacrifice room holding it gives you hints to unlock the secret character. It has no other function and is useless in a normal run

Even if you usually avoid spoilers I frankly don't advise trying to go the spoiler free route with that item.

microfolk

Fuuuck I still need Steven, D100 and Godhead. So jealous.

Godhead and D100 can be easily found with an infinite or nearly infinite reroll build, and it isn't really that hard to achieve I think? I've made a couple of them just yesterday, if you know what you need and what you have to do it's pretty easy to optimize your run.
Steven on the other hand it's stupid and not fun at all, I lost at least an hour and an half just restarting Basement 1 again and again. <_<

Chesskid1

Banned
i'm so bad at angling shots. watching good players its like 2nd nature to them but sometimes i have to think about it. bad coordination i suppose.

Manu

I hate Womb/Utero enemies that spawn red creep so very, very much.

I have Dead Boy but I don't have the trophy for beating Womb/Utero without damage. There's so much unfair shit.

Even the fact that you can get fucking Polycephalus, aka "I'll disappear for 30 seconds and then come out right below you no matter where you are" as a regular enemy.

Haunted

Also, now that everyone's kinda familiar with the game and its new look... looking back at the initial choices for art styles, any thoughts on what could've been, what did we get?

5 is the mockup they added later and closest to the one we got, I think. There's something I really like about the scale of the sprites in 3 - it makes the rooms look so much bigger.

ss_008a76bd0ab314c8140dd1a7ec61090c122d1779.600x338.jpg

It's part of the leg sprite, but it's too big to see in game normally.
Interesting, I've never seen that. I'm pretty sure the sprite ingame is cut off before the skirt even if you should be able to see it (like getting a foot to drop in the bottom of a big room while moving upwards).

Top Bottom