• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I played a lot of Old Isaac but never reached the Cathedral or Sheol.

Today I beat Isaac, Satan and The Lamb as Azazel. Still need to unlock The Chest (I prioritize Sheol because of the badass soundtrack) so I can get all of Azazel's completion marks.

Guiberu

My daughter and I have been playing a lot of Isaac over the hoildays.

She's only seven, but awesome and completely "into" stuff like this. She's aware of Isaac through various Minecraft mods and videos and the comical violence doesn't really phase her.

We recorded a run over the weekend which can be seen here. Blitzed the entire thing and destroyed Mom's heart :D

I've started playing this a lot since it became available on PS+. It's kind of Nethackish in the way every run is different, which is really fun once you get over the initial learning curve.

Yesterday I had an Eden run starting with ipecac. It took a couple of levels and some close calls to learn how to work with it, but the rest was pretty much overkill. And I like overkill.

Unlocked the final character yesterday. Only took 30 or so deaths.

The real frustrating part was with the
azazel
run.

The first time I did it I picked up guppy' collar on accident (9 lives would not have been a big deal). I didn't want guppy's collar because I figured it would revive me when I didn't want it to and wouldn't revive me when I did want it to... And that happened.

About 15 deaths later I finally got back to that run, womb 1 I think "ludovico technique!" And pick it up without thinking. Technology 1... Fire rate an damage go way down and it overrides the attack I already had. Died on it lives.

Finally got it though.

MUnited83

For you.
Just watched a friend play with steam broadcast. Only 3 hours of play in total and she already managed to get bandage girl. Some people are damn lucky.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is it possible that sacred heart isn't possible to get on Vita EU until a patch? No matter how many angel rooms I get it never shows up, and several seeds I've tried where it's supposed to show up haven't given me it.

kgtrep

We recorded a run over the weekend which can be seen here. Blitzed the entire thing and destroyed Mom's heart :D

That's really awesome of you!

Is it possible that sacred heart isn't possible to get on Vita EU until a patch? No matter how many angel rooms I get it never shows up, and several seeds I've tried where it's supposed to show up haven't given me it.

Can you try this seed 602Y DX9D with Eden (normal difficulty)? If this doesn't work, then I'm afraid you'll have to wait till the EU version is patched.

EIC1Y2A.jpg

SerTapTap

Unlocked the final character yesterday. Only took 30 or so deaths.

The real frustrating part was with the
azazel
run.

The first time I did it I picked up guppy' collar on accident (9 lives would not have been a big deal). I didn't want guppy's collar because I figured it would revive me when I didn't want it to and wouldn't revive me when I did want it to... And that happened.

Yeah, anyone going for the Judas/Azazel deaths for the secret character unlock need to be REALLY careful not to pick up any items that add extra lives, and also careful of anything that does automatic damage. Thanks to Demon Baby and Mom's Knife I accidentally killed Satan while just sitting around waiting to die.

Spineker

Banned
I'm really starting to get the shits with this trophy bug. I've got about 4 trophies including the Boss Rush that haven't unlocked. Are they going to fix it fucking ever?

SerTapTap

I'm really starting to get the shits with this trophy bug. I've got about 4 trophies including the Boss Rush that haven't unlocked. Are they going to fix it fucking ever?

Did you try that trick to get them to re-pop? Upload save, delete all your local saves, redownload (ingame, I think not PS+), should re-pop? I can't try it, but some people have had success (and some not, not really sure the exact ins and outs)

Spineker

Banned
Did you try that trick to get them to re-pop? Upload save, delete all your local saves, redownload (ingame, I think not PS+), should re-pop? I can't try it, but some people have had success (and some not, not really sure the exact ins and outs)

I've already tried it multiple times. No cigar. Does downloading the save onto Vita achieve the same result?

SerTapTap

I've already tried it multiple times. No cigar. Does downloading the save onto Vita achieve the same result?

Never did for me, but maybe totally delete the Vita save, then port it over?

I just did mine on a new save file, and save-scummed to make sure I got plat/real plat god because I am noooooot doing that again (both popped without issue though). Any boss kill one is pretty quick.

BTW what patch was everyone on when it did/didn't work? 1.03?

Spineker

Banned
Never did for me, but maybe totally delete the Vita save, then port it over?

No no I play primarily on PS4 but I'm wondering if the trophies will pop if I download my primary save file onto the Vita version. I never play the Vita one consistently because for some reason, it runs like ass.

SerTapTap

No no I play primarily on PS4 but I'm wondering if the trophies will pop if I download my primary save file onto the Vita version. I never play the Vita one consistently because for some reason, it runs like ass.

I know what you mean, but totally delete the Vita version's save first. I moved from PS4 to Vita several times but it never added trophies, so if it does work, it probably requires a clean save file.

And yeah the Vita version doesn't run great. A bit of door loading lag and more importantly some annoying microstutter. They need to optimize how they do creep on Vita too because it slaughters performance. I got Juicy Sack once and it basically caps the game at 40 FPS or something.

Shame they don't do proper remote play controls, or I'd RP it instead.

so far only one trophy I have gotten has not popped (Maggy beating
Isaac
) Everything else popped when expected.

I tried the delete the save and redownload, I tried getting different Trophies, I tried it on PS4 and PSVita. Nothing works.

Sucks, because now that I am at 74% I am really afraid that Platinum and True Platinum will not pop when I get them...

I am still a long way away from them, but I don't want to screw it up.

SerTapTap

Sucks, because now that I am at 74% I am really afraid that Platinum and True Platinum will not pop when I get them...

I am still a long way away from them, but I don't want to screw it up.

Just exit the game and upload your save right before you complete the last condition for True Plat. In all likelihood they will both pop at the same time unless you're a weirdo and go for plat god before doing the secret character stuff which is frankly a complete waste of time. In all practicality they're the same trophy.

Spineker

Banned
I thought you guys were exaggerating how OP Azazel is but holy shit, ever since I unlocked him, I've blitzed every run including the Boss Rush

hbkdx12

I thought you guys were exaggerating how OP Azazel is but holy shit, ever since I unlocked him, I've blitzed every run including the Boss Rush

For me personally, any item that gives you flight is the holy grail (no pun intended) in this game. Add azazel's mini brimstone that goes over rocks and such, it's hard not to win.

If i can get ludo vico and/or Tammy's head with Azazel it's a guaranteed win everytime no questions asked.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I think Vita version runs great. Framerate gets iffy at certain points but generally it's great. But I say this as someone that has never and will never touch the PS4 version. I'm not even sure why I downloaded the PS4 version. I knew I was never going to play it.

SerTapTap

I think Vita version runs great. Framerate gets iffy at certain points but generally it's great. But I say this as someone that has never and will never touch the PS4 version. I'm not even sure why I downloaded the PS4 version. I knew I was never going to play it.

The PS4 is amazingly flawless 60 FPS at all times. I've done all sorts of ridiculous crap like this:

And it never falters. Better controls too. It's awesome that it's on vita, but it's unquestionably the worst version of the game in every regard but portability.

Spineker

Banned

I can't say I agree at all. It is very choppy, especially when things start getting hectic. I guess I'm just spoiled on the 60fps of the PS4 version

CassSept

If it's choppy on Vita how do they plan on optimizing it for 3DS?

The PS4 is amazingly flawless 60 FPS at all times. I've done all sorts of ridiculous crap like this:

Damn I can't wait to play around with that game, but once I'm done with Godhead I'll need a good hard break from it.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

And it never falters. Better controls too. It's awesome that it's on vita, but it's unquestionably the worst version of the game in every regard but portability.
I don't doubt that this is true. But the game runs more than as well as I need it to on Vita, and I'd take portability over making the hectic parts have a better framerate.

With that said I do doubt that the PS4 ver has better controls. I cant think of a single way controls could be better than they are on Vita. I use face buttons for shooting by the way.

ZeroCoin

Finally finished up the challenges and all the boss kills with every character. Of course looking through the trophy list sites me that one of my Isaac kills didn't unlock.

Just need to get my donations to 999, blow up 100 marked rocks, complete meatboy/bandage girl, and collect any leftover items. Any one have a good seed for quick donations or marked rocks?

SerTapTap

Finally finished up the challenges and all the boss kills with every character. Of course looking through the trophy list sites me that one of my Isaac kills didn't unlock.

Just need to get my donations to 999, blow up 100 marked rocks, complete meatboy/bandage girl, and collect any leftover items. Any one have a good seed for quick donations or marked rocks?

If you want to cheat for donations just use an A Quarter seed with Cain. Surprised you didn't get it/marked rocks by just doing all the boss kills.

CassSept

If you want to cheat for donations just use an A Quarter seed with Cain. Surprised you didn't get it/marked rocks by just doing all the boss kills.

I had to farm donations too after finishing it with all characters but The Lost, I blame it on hard mode from before the fix though :p

ZeroCoin

Problem was I didn't know about the special rocks until I was well into working my way through the boss runs. I tried not to look at the wiki too much... big mistake in that regard. Only need around 100+ coins to donate, and I should be close to the marked rocks as well.

SerTapTap

Yeah Isaac has to many secrets for me to recommend not looking things up. Learning the game should be a social experience

I had to farm donations too after finishing it with all characters but The Lost, I blame it on hard mode from before the fix though :p
I didn't even touch hard mode except when required, it's still broken on ps. But I only did a few farming runs... Actually got 999 while using the secret character, farming was to boring and I was so close. Just have to be mindful and donate whenever you can.

microfolk

I hate you v.v

Damn, congratulations

Unicorn Stump + Meat Ball best combo in the game hands down.
It actually carried the entirety of my run to The Chest, with a little help of The Battery and BFF.
The other runs (I reached the Dark Room a couple of times and I can't even remember what my build was when I beat the boss rush this afternoon) were OP in a much more canonical sense, but I'm so glad I won't have to play The Lost again oh my god.

If I understood correctly you're still going for Godhead, good luck mate!

SerTapTap

Invincibility is surprisingly good with almost any orbital (that deals damage). As the secret character I slaughtered ??? using the invincibility rune and Meat Cube (I think it was BFF too). Completely dead before the invincibility was over with. And I used to think the stump was awful (well, it is, but only if you don't have orbitals).

Invincibility Rune lasts very long by the way, if you have an orbital it should handily kill any boss as surely as Chaos Card (maybe not the secret new final boss...dunno if you can reach him with orbitals)

Playing the Vita version after playing the PS4 version, the difference is night and day. The Vita version dips ultra hard very easily, and it goes completely to shit depending of your item combos.

Hell, high tear stats alone were enough to make the game a slideshow.

Gandalf

I've been getting Guppy a lot lately. 5 times now in 2 days. Sweet.

At 71% complete now for the trophies. Slowly but surely I'm getting there. Hopefully by the time I'm nearly done the EU patch will be live.

SerTapTap

Playing the Vita version after playing the PS4 version, the difference is night and day. The Vita version dips ultra hard very easily, and it goes completely to shit depending of your item combos.

Hell, high tear stats alone were enough to make the game a slideshow.

IMO the most frustrating part is the microstutter when nothing is happening and that creep is fully animated despite destroying performance, there's gotta be a way to tighten that up and lose some visual fidelity. If it was just firehose tears that made the game slowdown like an arcade shmup I'd be much more okay with it. Also waiting to go through doors is surprisingly grating once you're used to PS4, but you also get used to the doors after a bit.

Finally beat the Boss rush on Hard as the lost.... and the godhead secret didn't pop.

(The D100 did pop at the time.)

Is there anything else you need to other than get all 6 icons in red (i.e. beat on hard) on the character select screen?
Or is this just Nicalis (TM) programming at work, since Europe is still on the 1.01 patch?
Or am I going to smash my vita against the wall in anger?

SerTapTap

Finally beat the Boss rush on Hard as the lost.... and the godhead secret didn't pop.

Is there anything else you need to other than get all 6 icons in red (i.e. beat on hard) on the character select screen?
Or is this just Nicalis (TM) programming at work, since Europe is still on the 1.01 patch?

Godhead is still impossible on 1.01. Gotta wait for SCEE to push the patch out...surprised they haven't, maybe Wensday? No idea if it'll pop after the patch is applied or what since you already fulfilled it though, sorry.

Ninjician

Banned
Been loving this game.

Following Vicarious Viking on YouTube, seems like a smart player.

I had an amazing run with White Tears, and Gupppy? I beat Boss Rush in almost no time at all, and it was a piece of cake.

Now I'm on almost a -50 Win streak.

Yep.

Hydrargyrus

Playing with ??? is terrible.

I've reached
Isaac
with only 2 soul hearts and I've been able to take half of his life bar, but I couldn't beat him...

But it's the worst character so far: only soul hearts, the poop is literally "a shit"...

Two things I'd like clarification on;

What is the fifth icon on the pause menu? I know it's speed, shot speed, damage, range, and luck. I can't seem to figure it out.

Also, does the size of tease increase with damage? Makes sense but I thought they were separate stats.

CassSept

IMO the most frustrating part is the microstutter when nothing is happening and that creep is fully animated despite destroying performance, there's gotta be a way to tighten that up and lose some visual fidelity. If it was just firehose tears that made the game slowdown like an arcade shmup I'd be much more okay with it. Also waiting to go through doors is surprisingly grating once you're used to PS4, but you also get used to the doors after a bit.

It's the effects. I notice it on laptop I play on sometimes when I don't have access to my desktop PC. Normal levels are slightly slowed down, curse of Darkness/Womb/Utero slow it slightly further down and on Sheol/Cathedral the game runs like it was high on drugs, definitely at over 100% normal speed. An option to turn off the filters would fix all of that. Additionally, when I switch floors (diffusion) or use pills the game slows down to <10 fps.

I'm pretty sure this time it's SCEE's fault.

DrunkDan

It's definitely collectable, I definitely have it but I didn't use a seed for it. I may have collected it using the BASE MENT seed but I'm not 100% certain.

Manu

Oh man I just tried a run with ??? just to fuck around a bit and ended up getting quad brimstone shot + Abbadon.

I unlocked the D6 and then beat The Chest without taking damage. I got Dead Boy! I still can't believe it.

Video incoming.

Top Bottom