• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Has an overpowered Judas that I managed to take all the way to Mega Satan. Beat the game for the first time, only to find out that I don't unlock anything for it. I should have beaten the lamb first or something. :(

SerTapTap

Has an overpowered Judas that I managed to take all the way to Mega Satan. Beat the game for the first time, only to find out that I don't unlock anything for it. I should have beaten the lamb first or something. :(

Yeah, killing Mega Satan ends the game immediately. You have to kill the other boss first then go to Mega Satan without touching the chest if you want to do that. Not that it matters if you already have the boss kill unlock for that character.

I love Maggy! Only Dark Room left for her.

Ugh she's soooo sloowwww and doesn't have damage to back it up. Even having a good attack/tears stat suck with her. I prefer to play Isaac as a high damage, low health game focused on dodging and aiming. Doesn't play nearly as well as an endurance match. And with Azazel she's no longer even the "best" starting character for newbies (Cain was better for that anyway IMO but for less obvious reasons)

cerulily

You're swiping, not tapping it, right? Does the touchpad work in other games? If you're doing it right but it's not responding it sounds like the touchpad might be broken. But make sure you're doing it right, it's a sorta odd gesture but it's amazing once you realize how it works.

He doesn't?! He always seems to pause but I guess it's RNG

thank you so much for that. After some troubleshooting i realized the ribbon cable INSIDE the touchpad came loose when i last modded my ds4. Opened it back up, reconnected everything and it now works.
You saved me a headache and 60$

SerTapTap

thank you so much for that. After some troubleshooting i realized the ribbon cable INSIDE the touchpad came loose when i last modded my ds4. Opened it back up, reconnected everything and it now works.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that, I've been meaning to try the xbone sticks in one of mine (the rubber is turning smooth on the left stick somehow, figured it's a good excuse to try that mod)

Haunted

It still works on Playstation. Payback for Hard mode still being broken (among a few other things post 1.3)
LLShC.gif

DrunkDan

Every time I see this thread near the front page again I get a little excited thinking that the EU version has been patched.

Then I click and I'm hit with a massive wave of disappointment. The fuck are Nicalis/Sony playing at. Bastards.

Edit: Apologies if this very post has done the same to you. I'm also an utter bastard.

SerTapTap

Any tips/best character/items/hearts setup for beating the final boss?

...which final boss? Though Azazel is easily the best starter character. Going to assume you're stuck on one of the earlier ones. Make absolutely sure you're getting all your item room items. Every run is possible with the items given (or not), some are just far easier. Make sure you maximize the number of items you get: check out stores but only if you have either extra keys or plenty (15+) of money, open ALL item rooms (gold door), check the devil deal rooms

Also look up what items do on http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth you're probably ignoring or misusing lots of very useful things. Not your fault, everyone does. Game is complicated, you learn over time. Knowledge is your best weapon to start with. Get educated, experiment, unlock stuff. Eventually you'll need to play with every character to get unlocks, but Azazel is a great starter, so is Cain. Until you get the D6, Lazarus is basically a (very slightly) better Isaac.

BTW some of the challenges are good practice, Computer Savvy for instance is hilariously easy but fun.

BTW some of the challenges are good practice, Computer Savvy for instance is hilariously easy but fun.

I play Computer Savvy every time I screw up on a half-decent run to stop myself hating the game. The only (sensible) challenge that could possibly be more ridiculous is Brimstone, Ludovico and Spoon Bender.

SerTapTap

I play Computer Savvy every time I screw up on a half-decent run to stop myself hating the game. The only (sensible) challenge that could possibly be more ridiculous is Brimstone, Ludovico and Spoon Bender.

I wish there were more runs like that in challenges just for funsies. In a BASE MENT run I ended up with Loki's Horns, Spoon Bender, Mom's Knife and Brimstone. I could just tap the button and fire streams of homing laser knives in 4 directions. Amazing stuff. Cleared rooms in seconds. I wish there were a BASE MENT seed that let you cycle through the full game each time so you get to fight cooler stuff. Skatole alone clears half of rooms in the Basement instantly, and some are already empty.

I wish there were more runs like that in challenges just for funsies. In a BASE MENT run I ended up with Loki's Horns, Spoon Bender, Mom's Knife and Brimstone. I could just tap the button and fire streams of homing laser knives in 4 directions. Amazing stuff. Cleared rooms in seconds. I wish there were a BASE MENT seed that let you cycle through the full game each time so you get to fight cooler stuff. Skatole alone clears half of rooms in the Basement instantly, and some are already empty.

INFI NITE would be a good seed, just going through the game (Basement > Chest/Dark Room) over and over again. BASE MENT is fun but it does get tedious fighting the same waves of enemies to the same music.

Also, easy challenges in the expansion are a must. I needed something nice to fall back on after struggling through Family Man. Glass Cannon was nice but it's not that easy.

SerTapTap

Also more cool special seeds that start you with/cause the game to spawn OP/fun shit but keep the maps different each time. Kinda disappointed with the known seeds, BASE MENT is the only one I even bothered with actually but there's so much potential. When the Rules Card started saying seeds I thought I was in for great shit...most of 'em don't even work!

cerulily

I'll have to keep an eye out for that, I've been meaning to try the xbone sticks in one of mine (the rubber is turning smooth on the left stick somehow, figured it's a good excuse to try that mod)

This is exactly what happened. I put in some pink xbone sticks and when i was reconnecting the ribbon cable for the touchpad the inside must have pulled loose. MY advice is to test the touchpad when you reconnect the battery but before you snap on the back.

Regardless, i now have the ability to use the map for my hard mode post-its. thank you so much!

ZeroCoin

Had the same issue that I fixed today. The ribbon cable directly behind the touchpad had come undone. Once I saw a video showing that you could pull that piece away and simply restick it, problem solved.

Dumb question time, I have an item which makes me do a swallowing noise and heal one half heart every so often. What is it? Note: Not tied to any particular action, I can even be standing in an empty room.

SerTapTap

Dumb question time, I have an item which makes me do a swallowing noise and heal one half heart every so often. What is it? Note: Not tied to any particular action, I can even be standing in an empty room.

Placenta, auto-regen health (extremely slowly), boss room item

kgtrep

It's a regeneration item that's at work. Such items are great when you have red hearts, but not so much when have mainly blue and black hearts.

SerTapTap

Thanks. There are almost too many items in this game, hard to keep track of what's what. I'm impressed when I watch a stream that can name them all on sight.

It's just a matter of learning. Play with platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth and you'll learn as you go. I can name the item/effect of pretty much anything on the fly now, but I was crazy overwhelmed and never thought I'd beat so much as The Chest before.

It's just a matter of learning. Play with platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth and you'll learn as you go. I can name the item/effect of pretty much anything on the fly now, but I was crazy overwhelmed and never thought I'd beat so much as The Chest before.

I can name pretty much everything except the zodiacs and the syringes, which is okay because all of the zodiacs are pretty much immediate pick-ups. With syringes just remember that yellow = bad.

Also, Golden God + Mega Satan + All Challenges is complete enough for 52 in a Year, right?

SerTapTap

I can name pretty much everything except the zodiacs and the syringes, which is okay because all of the zodiacs are pretty much immediate pick-ups. With syringes just remember that yellow = bad.

Also, Golden God + Mega Satan + All Challenges is complete enough for 52 in a Year, right?

Oh, yeah, I have issues with the same (until I pick them up) because they're so similar.

And yeah, I'd say for "beating" the game Golden God is more than enough, vast majority of players don't hit that

Yeah, I'm sure.

I'm already at the point where I can recognize the majority of Trinkets as well as the majority of Pact items on sight, which is better than I could have imagined two months ago.

I also recognize a few items that I never want like the Cursed Eye.

CassSept

It is... it is done.... I'm free...

OK well, technically I still need to get the missing items but to hell with that, it's probably going to be very annoying and boring, but I don't care, the hard, incredibly daunting part is done. In the recent few days I played the game a bit less because I was hopelessly stuck on the final part of Godhead, but at last the deed is done.

SerTapTap

It is... it is done.... I'm free...

OK well, technically I still need to get the missing items but to hell with that, it's probably going to be very annoying and boring, but I don't care, the hard, incredibly daunting part is done. In the recent few days I played the game a bit less because I was hopelessly stuck on the final part of Godhead, but at last the deed is done.

Congrats! Hate to tell you, but the collection part takes far too long, but you're done with the skill-based part of the game. I have the teeniest bit of guilt for using seeds for the spoiler character, but good god I firmly believe seeds should work for 100% collection purposes. There is no skill or joy in that task.

Yeah, I'm sure.

I'm already at the point where I can recognize the majority of Trinkets as well as the majority of Pact items on sight, which is better than I could have imagined two months ago.

I also recognize a few items that I never want like the Cursed Eye.

The important part about bad items is hesitating before you grab stuff. For a while I knew Cursed Eye was awful, but I still rushed to get it and didn't realize until I had it. I always pause very briefly when in an item room just to be sure. Fortunately there aren't many run-killing items/combos.

Also try to learn synergies as you go, can be very important for your devil deals and when to NOT take items. There are some times that are great with some and terrible with others, like anti-grav tears. I like those with anything BUT Azazel's mini-brimstone

Trickets actually took me a really long time, some I almost never see even now. Feels like I have Odd Mushroom every other run.

CassSept

Yeah I realize it will probably be annoying but now I can just pop something on the TV, relax and grind away Womb I with Azazel to my heart's contents. Actually, I'm more concerned with Steven and Transcendence, I guess for the latter I can exploit Sharp Plug, but other than that I'm in for a whole lot of Basement grinding. At least it will be somewhat cathartic after the hell I went through with The Lost, just smashing everything like insects.

SerTapTap

Honestly Basement 1 with Isaac might be your best bet for Transendance too. Secret Room items are so rare I'm not sure I'd bother going through all the effort for a Sharp Plug build hoping to find one. Can't say for sure though, I haven't attempted it. I'm actually really glad PS kept the seed exploit because we can't do the quick reset PC can, so doing it the "right" way would be far, far more painful.

SerTapTap

Do seeded runs not work to the lost unlock on ps4? i've been trying and it just won't give me a puzzle piece.

Wait, what exactly are you doing? You don't get a puzzle piece if you're doing the 4 deaths for the unlock, the puzzle pieces show you what to die to (and are totally unnecessary if you already know what to do). Seeded runs work for all the deaths EXCEPT Azazel. There is zero feedback you are doing anything right until Azazel dies. They must be done in a row, with no other deaths in between, and possibly in the same session (might as well to be safe). Remember to not take any revival items at all, and avoid auto-fire familiars and the like for Azazel, I accidentally killed Satan and it's very embarrassing.

Wait, what exactly are you doing? You don't get a puzzle piece if you're doing the 4 deaths for the unlock, the puzzle pieces show you what to die to (and are totally unnecessary if you already know what to do). Seeded runs work for all the deaths EXCEPT Azazel. There is zero feedback you are doing anything right until Azazel dies. They must be done in a row, with no other deaths in between, and possibly in the same session (might as well to be safe). Remember to not take any revival items at all, and avoid auto-fire familiars and the like for Azazel, I accidentally killed Satan and it's very embarrassing.

I didn't realize seeded runs don't work on Azazel until I was killed by Satan. I'd guess seed exploiting would work though, seeing as it is considered a real run.

SerTapTap

Yeah technically a seed exploit could work, don't really need it though because I mean, Azazel. You could try a Ludovico seed to speed it up I guess (S11S E632 works I think) just be damn careful not to kill satan's second form with it. I forget if that's the seed, but there's a seed that beats Mom's Foot in 3 minutes with the proper route that'd be great for rushing

satriales

I can confirm that they don't have to be done in the same session. I messed up Azazel so quit before I died. I then turned the PS4 off and tried again with Azazel the next day and got the unlock no problem.

SerTapTap

I can confirm that they don't have to be done in the same session. I messed up Azazel so quit before I died. I then turned the PS4 off and tried again with Azazel the next day and got the unlock no problem.

Good to know, I did mine in one session but that's probably time prohibitive for some

Oh my god you guys. No. NO. I can not believe this just happened to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvKguw4CNxM

Ouch. But how (and why) did you use The Bible without getting killed on Isaac?

BTW, lil brim is probably your best bet in that challenge. Demon Baby is worth the get, but too short ranged as I'm sure you noticed. Lil Brim is still slow, but very helpful

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I spent the morning trying to unlock
The Lost
, and got it on my first try after finally finding a
mulliboom
to kill me. I'm up to 67% trophies, 313 items, 140 secrets. I feel I'm starting to reach my peak.

There is apparently a seed that gives you Pyromaniac and Kamikaze on the first floor. I haven't tested it yet, but it basically makes you invincible if you spam Kamikaze.

7NTP CMY2 if you're interested. If it works and I am near breaking point with The Spoiler I will probably use it.

SerTapTap

There is apparently a seed that gives you Pyromaniac and Kamikaze on the first floor. I haven't tested it yet, but it basically makes you invincible if you spam Kamikaze.

7NTP CMY2 if you're interested. If it works and I am near breaking point with The Spoiler I will probably use it.

Eh, use the Holy Mantle seed I posted. Kamikaze + Pyro is of mild use to the Spoiler because he's not actually healed, it's just infinite bombs, immunity to Satan's hooves/mom's foot and a bit of local damage (insanely risky against some enemies...most enemies). Without two red hearts it's not really that broken at all.

Unless it triggers invincibility frames, does it? Even if it did, that's an incredibly unpleasant way to play as you'd have to be constantly exploding. The Holy Mantle seed is reasonable without being a joke, still requires plenty of skill.

Nothus

Ouch. But how (and why) did you use The Bible without getting killed on Isaac?

BTW, lil brim is probably your best bet in that challenge. Demon Baby is worth the get, but too short ranged as I'm sure you noticed. Lil Brim is still slow, but very helpful

Not sure why I used it tbh, perhaps I thought flying might raise my agility ever so slightly. But afaik using the bible on Isaac will never kill you, that only happens on
Satan

There actually is some small amount of feedback.
You know on the character select screen, it records you've got a run of sucessful wins/losses (the counter that shows +1 +2 , etc for wins, or -1 -2, -3 etc for deaths in a row)

Well, when I was unlocking the lost, I noticed it stopped increasing, even though I had obviously died 3 times in a row when I picked Azael, it didn't show -3. Can't remeber if it showed 0 or -1.

At least, I don't think I'm crazy and misremembering it.

Eh, use the Holy Mantle seed I posted. Kamikaze + Pyro is of mild use to the Spoiler because he's not actually healed, it's just infinite bombs, immunity to Satan's hooves/mom's foot and a bit of local damage (insanely risky against some enemies...most enemies). Without two red hearts it's not really that broken at all.

Unless it triggers invincibility frames, does it? Even if it did, that's an incredibly unpleasant way to play as you'd have to be constantly exploding. The Holy Mantle seed is reasonable without being a joke, still requires plenty of skill.

You do get invincibility frames because I think it still technically counts as damage.

I won't immediately do that anyway. I'll struggle through a load of proper runs, then go Holy Mantle, then go Pyro/Kamikaze if all else fails.

Haunted

201 hours is the mark and I got all* the regular achievements... save for Meat Boy and Bandage Girl, both of which I haven't even come close to competing even once in these 200 hours.

Surely Nicalis must've foreseen this. Surely. >_>

*Full item completion is 6 items away -
1up!
Steven
Super Bandage
Sack of Pennies
Guardian Angel
Blood Rights

But all of these just seem a matter of time while I continue to play through the game normally (now working on filling out the notes in red). On the other hand, I can't actually picture myself getting MB/BG to lvl 4.

Haunted

You do get invincibility frames because I think it still technically counts as damage.

I won't immediately do that anyway. I'll struggle through a load of proper runs, then go Holy Mantle, then go Pyro/Kamikaze if all else fails.
I mean, you won't be able to exploit seeds forever, right? They patched that out in 1.032 and even though the PS versions are behind, surely that patch is eventually going to make its way to PS4/Vita as well.

Top Bottom