• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Ferrio

Banned
I feel I am playing this game wrong. I'm playing it on the Vita. I never, ever, ever have come close to some of the ridiculous pics you all are posting. I've killed
Mom's heart
a few times now, and at most have had maybe 4 followers. Seeing all these crazy combinations, massive lists of broken upgrades...

Is everyone just insanely lucky, or is seed glitching the only way people know how to play? I try to get anywhere between 2-10 runs a day, depending on my schedule, and I'll be lucky if one of them has anything partly decent. Do I just need to play more, to unlock more?

Those OP builds become easier to get the better you get at the game. That said they don't come that often unless you're playing Isaac with the D6. Though the biggest factor in all of it that you can effect is securing your devil deals. Ways to help that:

-Don't take red heart damage
-Don't take boss damage
-Bomb beggars
-Get items that raise your devil deal chance (book of belial, goat head etc)

All that will raise the chance you get a devil/god deal after killing a boss, and those are the easiest ways to effect your damage.

Also becoming guppy is one of the best ways to become unstoppable. To do that you need 3 guppy pieces. Best place for those items is in your devil deals, curse rooms (always check them if you can), red chests, and secret rooms.

SerTapTap

Cool beans, thanks. I will say, I have put a fair amount of time into it, unlocked a lot of people, but I still only play as Isaac. I guess I should change that.

Isaac pre-D6 is actually one of the worst characters. Definitely play as everyone, if only for the unlocks.

Also, a ton of the most powerful items are unlocks.

kgtrep

Best I can tell seeds are NOT platform specific at all, they depend on unlocks though. I've tried over 20 "PC" seeds from the Rebirth wiki, all worked on PS4. Not 100% sure Vita is the same but I'm guessing so. Try it and report back I guess. I've been meaning to test it out more rigorously. I assume the PS ones have to be compatible though because of cross save.

Edit: My bad, entered nothing by mistake.

kgtrep

Best I can tell seeds are NOT platform specific at all, they depend on unlocks though. I've tried over 20 "PC" seeds from the Rebirth wiki, all worked on PS4. Not 100% sure Vita is the same but I'm guessing so. Try it and report back I guess. I've been meaning to test it out more rigorously. I assume the PS ones have to be compatible though because of cross save.

I played on Vita (NA ver. 1.03) and was able to use some of the PC and PS4 seeds, but not all. One of the seeded runs that I just couldn't get to work was the Godhead seed G2KQ M1J1. I kept getting other items at the angel room, so I decided to pursue the Eden route instead.

Sendou

The worst part about The Lost is how you keep getting these promising runs with cool item combos but often still not get to see them to the end :X

SerTapTap

I played on Vita (NA ver. 1.03) and was able to use some of the PC and PS4 seeds, but not all. One of the seeded runs that I just couldn't get to work was the Godhead seed G2KQ M1J1. I kept getting other items at the angel room, so I decided to pursue the Eden route instead.

Do you have godhead unlocked and ideally all other unlocks? First Catacombs angel room after taking no damage?

Manu

And I got Super Meat Boy after almost two months. Yeah!

10154315_10205762545892801_4733157725329274400_n.jpg

kgtrep

Do you have godhead unlocked and ideally all other unlocks? First Catacombs angel room after taking no damage?

Yes, I had all the achievements other than real platinum unlocked when I was going for it. I did runs where I took damage, no damage (with Isaac). I tried it with Magdalene also (haven't tried all characters), and a few other Godhead seeds that were available on the web, but none worked for me. It might have been just bad luck on my side. :(

SerTapTap

Yes, I had all the achievements other than real platinum unlocked when I was going for it. I did runs where I took damage, no damage (with Isaac). I tried it with Magdalene also (haven't tried all characters), and a few other Godhead seeds that were available on the web, but none worked for me. It might have been just bad luck on my side. :(

Try CMNQ H484 as Eden, you should start with Godhead. Fun run too, you end up with Ipecac. Do not get Parasite from the boss rush. Just verified on Vita, normal mode. Still pretty sure seeds aren't platform specific but not sure why yours didn't work. If they're platform specific it's only extremely specific things that are different.

kgtrep

Try CMNQ H484 as Eden, you should start with Godhead. Fun run too, you end up with Ipecac. Do not get Parasite from the boss rush. Just verified on Vita, normal mode. Still pretty sure seeds aren't platform specific but not sure why yours didn't work. If they're platform specific it's only extremely specific things that are different.

Haha, yep, that was the code that I found and suggested. Here's hoping that will save trouble for all the players, cause it's a great game otherwise.

saturnine

Are you on 1.03? I recall a euro user not being able to use it because they changed how meat/bandage spawn
I'm on whatever the latest one is on Vita EU. It says 1.01.
Ah, that's the problem then. You'll have to hunt down another seed, wait for the patch (I thought it was coming ASAP in 2015 due to holiday break), or suffer through monster manual. I'd recommend waiting for the patch if you don't have other seeds. 1.04 hasn't hit US yet so you should have some time between 1.03 and them fixing the seed exploit.
that might have been me. Ended up infinite monster manualing (sharp plug/pyro/ipecac) those two secrets.
Took me half an hour, I thought my vita was going to die on me with all the shit that spawned ahah. I even managed to make three whole bandage girls before fucking meatboy decided to grace me with his presence.

I used the same run to grab 1up and had to do a 40 something BASE MENT run to find Dead Dove. Don't know how I managed to miss those one in all the hours I poured in the game.

Just discovered
becoming Lord of the Flies
for the first time.

Pretty neat.
I discovered that yesterday too. First I'd ever heard of it.

Also, beat Satan for the first time yesterday. Was the best birthday present to myself. Defeated
Isaac
last night too. Knowing that I'm still nowhere near done only serves to further impress upon me how beautifully structured this game is.

Nick_C

I'll just leave this right over here: M8FC C2PF

Hard Mode Guppy seed. Just enter the curse room, open the chest and grab the two items and chest, but make sure you grab the chest first if you're using Eve.

Gandalf

Trying to do every type of play through with every character. Quick question though, on the character selection screen, on the bit to the top left where it shows what playthroughs you've completed with the character you're about to select, what does the star in the middle of the second row mean? Can't figure it out.

BigAT

Trying to do every type of play through with every character. Quick question though, on the character selection screen, on the bit to the top left where it shows what playthroughs you've completed with the character you're about to select, what does the star in the middle of the second row mean? Can't figure it out.

Beat Boss Rush mode.

That star means you've beaten the boss rush after fighting Mom.

edit: Ninjad :(.
You also need to beat the boss rush on hard (the star will be red) with every character to get all the secrets/items if you go for the platinum.

Isaac pre-D6 is actually one of the worst characters. Definitely play as everyone, if only for the unlocks.

Also, a ton of the most powerful items are unlocks.
Thanks. Isaac pre d6 would explain why it's always such a slog starting out with him. I've read a fair amount on the wiki, nothing spoiler wise, but it's hard to retain a lot of what I see. Baby steps, I guess. Oddly enough, I tried out
Samson
for the first time last night. Got OP'ed quick, walked all over
Satan - spoiler'd just cause
, and then trounced the boss rush. I then tried a challenge, one of the early ones, where it's pee shots and poo bombs to start, and nearly beat that on the first try also. So now I admittedly feel a little silly, but can clearly see that I need to ignore Isaac for a while, until more is unlocked.

Gandalf

That star means you've beaten the boss rush after fighting Mom.

edit: Ninjad :(.
You also need to beat the boss rush on hard (the star will be red) with every character to get all the secrets/items if you go for the platinum.

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys.

I'll get everything done on normal first then focus on Hard run through.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Our version needs updating. Dead boy and godhead are glitched and impossible to get at the moment. Apparently the patch is supposed to come out some time soon, I think it was submitted at the same time as the the US one but it was announced it wouldn't be here until the new year.
So godhead should pop as soon as we get that patch. With dead boy is that likely to pop straight away or am I going to have to beat chest/dark room without taking damage again. The game can easily see what bosses I've beaten with each character but I do wonder if it will remember I've done the dead boy requirements.

DrunkDan

So godhead should pop as soon as we get that patch. With dead boy is that likely to pop straight away or am I going to have to beat chest/dark room without taking damage again. The game can easily see what bosses I've beaten with each character but I do wonder if it will remember I've done the dead boy requirements.

Yeah I think that godhead will pop but there seems to be confusion with dead boy. I've read that you'll need to do it again but I've also read that people have had it pop jut by playing through the chest/dark room.

Hopefully it's the latter because I've definitely met the requirements but im not holding out too much hope. Perhaps some others in this thread might know more?

I just had my first experience with Holy Mantle.

Wow. Just wow.

I've seen some broken stuff in this game, but I think this is the winner for me so far. Admittedly I only have like 200 items seen.

Nick_C

Well GAF, I've finally done. I've platinumed Rebirth and I needed to tell someone so I figured I'd post here.

The game was a blast and I don't regret a single second of the 200+ (300?) hours I've put into, but all of you made it so much more enjoyable. Whether it's stories of your triumphant victories or bitter defeats, whether you've been playing since vanilla Isaac or you only started because it was a free game for PS+, I've truly enjoyed hearing about everyone's experience with the game. Thank you for making the community what it is and thank you for making this game more than just the sum of its parts.

P.S.
I can't wait to dig into the Afterbirth, whenever that's supposed to come out.

CassSept

I've blown two sure runs by Womb II today, my performance dropped so hard since I got The Lamb yesterday and it's much more painful since I'm one run away from finishing it. Though seriously, double Haunt room.......

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Oh god, I'm now in grind mode. For the first time this game is boring. Basically all I have left to do for platinum god other than the stuff I cant get until the patch is donating coins to the shop. Still got like 800 to go. This is gonna be hell.

DrunkDan

Oh god, I'm now in grind mode. For the first time this game is boring. Basically all I have left to do for platinum god other than the stuff I cant get until the patch is donating coins to the shop. Still got like 800 to go. This is gonna be hell.

I know the feeling. I've done absolutely everything now except unlock and collect godhead then possibly do another dead boy run depending on whether or not it unlocks automatically once it's patched.

This is one of the few instances, along meat boy, where I exploited seeds because the game was becoming grindy. I used a quarter seed IIRC.

Why can I not stop playing this game...it's so addicting. What's everyones favorite characters to play as? I find myself most successful with Azazel though I like Samson too.

This is one of the few instances, along meat boy, where I exploited seeds because the game was becoming grindy. I used a quarter seed IIRC.

Also what do you mean? I thought when you used a seed you couldn't get any achievements or make any progress

DrunkDan

Yeah I used one for meat boy and bandage girl too. The game just didn't play nicely for me trying to collect them legitimately.

For the poster asking how to use seeds you just have to input the seed you want then back out to the file select then start the game normally and the seed effects will be applied. Although unless you're still on an early version it's been patched I think.

Yeah I used one for meat boy and bandage girl too. The game just didn't play nicely for me trying to collect them legitimately.

For the poster asking how to use seeds you just have to input the seed you want then back out to the file select then start the game normally and the seed effects will be applied. Although unless you're still on an early version it's been patched I think.

So you can no longer do this? On the Ps4 version

I couldn't get that one to work on the Vita either, but then I went through and got hit one time by the catacombs boss and got Godhead. I was playing as Azael. Maybe try that?

SerTapTap

Got the seed exploit thing to work on PS4, what are some people's favorite seeds?

What do you need? My posts in this thread have good seeds for any unreasonable achievements such as godhead, meat boy/bandage girl, secret character. Just for general collection, BASE MENT is a good way to collect all items other than angel room ones if that's what you're missing

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Anyone have a sacred heart seed? Last item I have left to collect other than the stuff I cant get until the patch. Cant get it to spawn for the life of me.

Haint

I don't understand what you do in this game. I finished the 5 or 6 floors and the boss floor, saw some ending, and was booted back to the start screen. What do you gain from continuing to play through the game, is it just the same stuff randomized?

Tainted

I don't understand what you do in this game. I finished the 5 or 6 floors and the boss floor, saw some ending, and was booted back to the start screen. What do you gain from continuing to play through the game, is it just the same stuff randomized?

On your next playthrough, the womb/utero levels will be unlocked (I assume it was mom you killed).

Then you will need to beat mom's heart (boss of the womb/utero levels) 11x to unlock the ability to perm unlock the Cathedral / Sheol levels....from there you need to beat the sheol/cathedral boss 5x to unlock the trickets to allow access to the chest / dark room levels...then there are levels after that which are unlocked

Also on every playthrough you progressively unlock more items which are added to the item pools...you have only just started

This game is just about successive playthroughs unlocking more and more stuff....sounds like you may not have the patience for it tbh. It takes a while

kgtrep

To me, the game is about discovering new things upon each play (you'll learn more about Isaac, the titular character) and understanding how enemies move and attack so that you can play like boss even when the odds are against you. There's a thrill in finding out that some items, when combined, result in unexpected things.

Top Bottom