• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

hbkdx12

Also, now that everyone's kinda familiar with the game and its new look... looking back at the initial choices for art styles, any thoughts on what could've been, what did we get?

tumblr_mebmdqzGwA1rq0wgw.jpg

tumblr_mebme43ZMS1rq0wgw.jpg

tumblr_mebmegmJ771rq0wgw.jpg

tumblr_mebmeuP0cd1rq0wgw.png

I suppose we got a bit of a mixture of 1 and 2... there's something I really like about the scale of the sprites in 3 - it makes the rooms look so much bigger.

Graphically i think these are very crisp but at the end of the day it's too clean and i think it takes away from the overall motif that BOI pulls off so well which is the despair and doom and gloom of the situation that isaac's in.

Haunted

They're all mockups, and I think the lighting they added in the final game adds a huge deal to the atmosphere so it's a bit unfair to compare them to the final game. :D But I know what you mean, I'm really happy with the end result we got.

The only thing I honestly dislike about the new look is the menu. Too chunky!

SerTapTap

Graphically i think these are very crisp but at the end of the day it's too clean and i think it takes away from the overall motif that BOI pulls off so well which is the despair and doom and gloom of the situation that isaac's in.

None look that great. I think what we got is the best of those and closest to the original art style as well. I sorta like the look of the walls in 4, got a very Gameboy Advance look to it but I like the distorted walls we have now. Sorta like a little kid looking up at "normal" walls that look towering.

Camwi

Finally platinumed this bitched! What an absolute blast.

My last two items were 1Up and A Dollar. I ended up grinding BASE MENT (highly recommended) until my Vita was just chugging along, but finally that stupid Dollar popped.

Haunted

Seemingly getting two out of underwear/lipstick/heels on every fucking run. How about some of that Halo/Magic Mushroom action instead? Goddamn troll engine.

Finally platinumed this bitched! What an absolute blast.

My last two items were 1Up and A Dollar. I ended up grinding BASE MENT (highly recommended) until my Vita was just chugging along, but finally that stupid Dollar popped.
I thought seeded runs don't work for item unlocks?

SerTapTap

Seemingly getting two out of underwear/lipstick/heels on every fucking run. How about some of that Halo/Magic Mushroom action instead? Goddamn troll engine.

I thought seeded runs don't work for item unlocks?

It still works on Playstation. Payback for Hard mode still being broken (among a few other things post 1.3)

ZeroCoin

So close to finishing. Only items left to collect at this point. I tried using the seed database, but it seems like most of the time the items or locations are just wrong. Just need breath of life, guardian angel, trinity shield, dead dove, and ???s best friend. Mostly angel room items which are just being a total pain at this point. Anyone have a good seed for infinite rerolls, or any tips to get the last of them?

Someone please tell me they have a 1up seed. I managed to grind Skeleton Key and Raw Liver from the BASE MENT seed but 1up never popped.

Fuck the 1up, it appeared all the time in the original.

SerTapTap

Someone please tell me they have a 1up seed. I managed to grind Skeleton Key and Raw Liver from the BASE MENT seed but 1up never popped.

Fuck the 1up, it appeared all the time in the original.

Sorry. Do BASE MENT as Isaac and plan for a Sharp Plug reroll. I tried EVERY secret item seed on the rebirth wiki, rerolled them as much as I could, no dice. Do not pick up 9 volt

Sorry. Do BASE MENT as Isaac and plan for a Sharp Plug reroll. I tried EVERY secret item seed on the rebirth wiki, rerolled them as much as I could, no dice. Do not pick up 9 volt

I'll grind the Sharp Plug tomorrow, but what's weird is that I seemed to exhaust the pool. I started getting Breakfast even though I hadn't seen 1up.

SerTapTap

I'll grind the Sharp Plug tomorrow, but what's weird is that I seemed to exhaust the pool. I started getting Breakfast even though I hadn't seen 1up.

In the Secret Room pool? Shouldn't happen, but I'm not sure WTF is up with Breakfast/pool exhaustion. It's really weird. Shop gets devil deal items but not angel/secret room ones or other special pools like Steven, D100 and such will reroll items to Breakfast. Some really wonky stuff that feels less like "pool is gone" and more like "I want you to stop getting items, human". Also, might reroll the breakfast a few times, because some non-secret room items appear in there...maybe it's those and 1 up is still in the pool?

What do you need? My posts in this thread have good seeds for any unreasonable achievements such as godhead, meat boy/bandage girl, secret character. Just for general collection, BASE MENT is a good way to collect all items other than angel room ones if that's what you're missing

Hey can you give the seeds for the secret character and meatboy/bandage girl

SerTapTap

Hey can you give the seeds for the secret character and meatboy/bandage girl

So I have these all in one post:

Holy Mantle (for the secret character): S1HX M6V9

Godhead (start as Eden): CMNQ H484

Bandage Girl (womb 1): MZDZ DFFH

Meat Boy (womb 1, use book of revs on every "I" floor before the boss): RKV8 O883

Normal collectables: BASE MENT

Seeds are confirmed on PS4 1.03 (book of revs seed will NOT work on 1.01, seed exploit does not work post 1.031, eg PC and future PS builds) but I'm 99% sure they work on all platforms assuming the same patch and all relevant unlocks. Just search on the Rebirth wiki for an item and I'm confident almost all seeds will work (some seeds are bogus due to being given by non-plat-god users)

cerulily

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my touchpad will not open the mapscreen on ps4. Literally have been playing the game with minimap and it's so depressing. Is this an issue anyone else has?

SerTapTap

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but my touchpad will not open the mapscreen on ps4. Literally have been playing the game with minimap and it's so depressing. Is this an issue anyone else has?

You're swiping, not tapping it, right? Does the touchpad work in other games? If you're doing it right but it's not responding it sounds like the touchpad might be broken. But make sure you're doing it right, it's a sorta odd gesture but it's amazing once you realize how it works.

Huh, Pestilence has no cooldown on spawning enemies? Four trites in succession is a run killer :|

He doesn't?! He always seems to pause but I guess it's RNG

Am I doing it wrong if I beat Mega Satan before I even unlock The Chest?

Isaac seed for reference (PS4): SRS0 6C1S

Re-rolled the first item room for Polyphemus, re-rolitem room during curse of the blind (I think that's the item one) for Spoon Bender, defeat The Fallen for Brimstone, one of the item rooms had Number One, re-roll the Boss Rush for Cancer (not necessary, just hadn't done Isaac's boss rush yet) and also get Gnawed Leaf at the end. That's basically all I had for a winning run. Also plenty of Soul Hearts and Little Chad if you find him useful.

That was a super fun run.

SerTapTap

Am I doing it wrong if I beat Mega Satan before I even unlock The Chest?

No, I unlocked and beat Dark Room before unlocking It Lives or The Chest, though I didn't get the 2 angel rooms required until after unlocking the rest. The 11 heart kills is sort of a weird and annoying requirement, and due to it + devil rooms being common, you can end up in Sheol a lot very early on.

Really wish there were some sort of fail safe to access the Mega Satan fight on any run BTW. It's super fun and I have only been ABLE to fight him three times.

Really wish there were some sort of fail safe to access the Mega Satan fight on any run BTW. It's super fun and I have only been ABLE to fight him three times.

I guess the only way at the moment is to get a Dad's Key seed and give up you active slot. Even then it will be the same play over and over. I kind of wish the door would stay open if you've defeated him once. The bullet hell when skull Satan shows up is brilliant.

SerTapTap

I guess the only way at the moment is to get a Dad's Key seed and give up you active slot. Even then it will be the same play over and over. I kind of wish the door would stay open if you've defeated him once. The bullet hell when skull Satan shows up is brilliant.

Yeah, it should be like Mom's Heart, beat it enough time, it's always open and you can always fight. I mean, it's not even beneficial to fight him beyond the once, I don't see a need to lock him away beyond that.

Yeah, it should be like Mom's Heart, beat it enough time, it's always open and you can always fight. I mean, it's not even beneficial to fight him beyond the once, I don't see a need to lock him away beyond that.

I suppose he's considered the endgame, but I don't think that works if you can beat him before even seeing ??? once. With any luck the next update will keep him open.

Or just have a new boss in the expansion that is entirely Mega Satan-style bullet hell. I would be happy with that.

I just had one of those ultra-aggravating run that make me want to swear off this game forever.

I was having one of those runs where every single item I get is HP related. Even after a couple of pact purchases I was sitting on something like 9 red hearts. The level with Mom has curse of the blind. After the level is all but cleared I pick up a ? and it's Dead Cat. All that health just gone, so now I'm faced with a bunch of tries to defeat Mom with no health and no real offense. I came close only once. sigh.

SerTapTap

I suppose he's considered the endgame, but I don't think that works if you can beat him before even seeing ??? once. With any luck the next update will keep him open.

Or just have a new boss in the expansion that is entirely Mega Satan-style bullet hell. I would be happy with that.

But he's only THE endgame once. He's not a valid "end the run" condition since many runs, the MAJORITY of runs, can not possibly encounter him.

I just had one of those ultra-aggravating run that make me want to swear off this game forever.

I was having one of those runs where every single item I get is HP related. Even after a couple of pact purchases I was sitting on something like 9 red hearts. The level with Mom has curse of the blind. After the level is all but cleared I pick up a ? and it's Dead Cat. All that health just gone, so now I'm faced with a bunch of tries to defeat Mom with no health and no real offense. I came close only once. sigh.

Thanks to Dead Cat, Guppy's Collar, Cursed Eye and a couple other revive items I got to fight The Lamb over 12 times with a single hit each. Eventually did it, but sheesh.

YoodlePro

This game man... I love it, but I'll never finish it. I have heart kills with all characters, and isaac /Satan kills with some... I'm so far away from the chest...

Also I play exclusively on Vita( played a bit on ps4, but I prefer playing games when I go to work), and seeds are different?

Also does vita version run at lower fps than ps4?

My general rule of thumb is to NEVER make a devil deal or take a curse room item if I don't know what it is. I'm certain Dead Cat is always there on purpose.

But he's only THE endgame once. He's not a valid "end the run" condition since many runs, the MAJORITY of runs, can not possibly encounter him.

It is irritating, but you do certainly play a lot better with the knowledge that you probably wont get another fight for a while. I only took a couple of hits even though the The Lamb gave me a bit of trouble.

SerTapTap

My general rule of thumb is to NEVER make a devil deal or take a curse room item if I don't know what it is. I'm certain Dead Cat is always there on purpose.

If you have the Curse of the Blind:

Boss items are safe: only bad one is Experimental Treatment, and possibly health ups if you have half a heart/no red hearts and want to exploit that.

Shop items are safe, but many are Use items so it could waste the 15c. But if you have tons of points, why not. Broken Stopwatch is the closest to a bad item, worth the risk IMO

Devil Deal items are mostly "safe" but not necessarily worth the health. Dead Cat is a possibility and easily the worst to get depending on circumstances

Angel Room items are safe. Can't think of one with negative side effect.

Item rooms are risky at best. All the worst items are in the item room pool. Then again, it's the largest pool, has almost all the best items.

Secret Room items are risky. Cursed Eye is one of the rather small set. Possibility of a 1 Up isn't worth Cursed Eye IMO, but most other items are fairly decent. Missing No is fun but can also screw you over.

Gold Chest items are mostly safe, but you can get Bob's Brain. It's the only one with negative side effects.

Red Chest are risky only due to Dead Cat. I consider it worth it as they're free, and at worst you get Dead Cat and 1/3rd of Guppy.

Boss Rush item is complete insanity. There's no way two unknown items are worth all the wasted time unless you need to do it for an unlock.

Personally I ignore Devil Deals and Item Rooms for the most part, though if I have tons of health, why not, most of the 2 heart items are good. I generally won't use shops but only because I don't want to waste money, they're pretty safe if you have more money than you know what to do this.

Anyone else having the problem where trophies won't unlock on the PS4 version of BoI? I've killed Mom's Heart multiple times and got the trophy for 10 kills, but not for 5 or 11, even though I've killed it enough that the chest doesn't appear anymore. It's really wacky.

SerTapTap

Ugh the latest lttp for this game is a cesspool and I don't have the will or time to correct all the incorrect statements or I'll informed opinions. There's valid criticism and there's failing to understand

DrunkDan

Ugh the latest lttp for this game is a cesspool and I don't have the will or time to correct all the incorrect statements or I'll informed opinions. There's valid criticism and there's failing to understand

Yeah I had a quick look in there and I'm glad that this thread exists. I understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea (it took a while to grow on me too) but it seems a bit off.

SerTapTap

Yeah I had a quick look in there and I'm glad that this thread exists. I understand that it's not everybody's cup of tea (it took a while to grow on me too) but it seems a bit off.

There are people with extremely strong initial reactions to games and Isaac simply isn't the game for most of them I guess. I'd make a list of all the ridiculously irrelevant singular reasons I've seen people dismiss Isaac for but I'd just get depressed

Aw what the hell?

I beat mom and quit out to see if I needed the photograph or the negative and when I reentered the level it put me in a corner of the level surrounded by rocks. And I'm all out of bombs. Why's it spawning me in the top left corner anyway?

DrunkDan

I've been playing for a month now. How realistic is it to want a platinum trophy ?

Very, but you need a little bit of luck as well as time. There are ways to artificially increase your luck (seed exploits etc) but that kinda takes away the fun of finding great builds - or in some cases, horrifically crap ones. That's part of the game I enjoy, finding different combinations and seeing what carnage you can cause.

SerTapTap

I've been playing for a month now. How realistic is it to want a platinum trophy ?

Already got it. If you're willing to use seed exploits you can remove the bullshit (100% collection, spoiler character). The skill based stuff is all pretty reasonable IMO unless you consider Spoiler part of that which I honestly don't.

Aw what the hell?

I beat mom and quit out to see if I needed the photograph or the negative and when I reentered the level it put me in a corner of the level surrounded by rocks. And I'm all out of bombs. Why's it spawning me in the top left corner anyway?

Huh...it USUALLY spawns you in the door you entered from but that room doesn't have normal doors. Guess it's an oversight.

Ok great. I'm willing to use seeds as it is better to obtain rewards based on one's skill rather than sheer luck

What's the Spoiler ? There is no mention of it on the BOI:R Wiki

SerTapTap

Ok great. I'm willing to use seeds as it is better to obtain rewards based on one's skill rather than sheer luck

What's the Spoiler ? There is no mention of it on the BOI:R Wiki

See This Post for all seeds you'll need for the stupider RNG heavy crap. Don't bother until you have all other unlocks. Boss kills first, most others should come naturally. Eventually you'll have to do the spoiler character, if you want to look it up (you do, it's some real bullshit), it's name is
The Lost

Play the game normally and get all you can without worrying about seeded runs or even really achievement hunting, it's more fun that way. Just be mindful of these long-term unlocks:

Tinted rocks: bomb 100 (over many runs) for an unlock
Donation machine: 999 coins donated is required. Do NOT donate a 1000th coin.
There's an unlock for 100 deaths. If you don't get it by the time everything else is done, it's very easy to get this with the spoiler character.

What's your current rough progress anyway? Mostly done with boss unlocks? Challenges? How many secrets?

CassSept

Yeah spoiler requires character is one thing I really dislike about the game. The game is definitely not balanced around it and rng can screw you over in innumerable ways, but otherwise it's a fantastic game.

See This Post for all seeds you'll need for the stupider RNG heavy crap.

Possibly not. Tested the Bandage Girl seed twice and both times I got a Meat Boy on Cave I. Tried the other one once and got three Meat Boy's and a Bandage Girl.

This really needs to be made a two-option choice, it's fucking stupid.

Edit: Apparently EU PS4 is only on 1.01. That's bullshit because once 1.03 is ready for EU release they'll had the seed exploit fixed (I'd imagine).

SerTapTap

CMNQ H484 on PS4 using Eden does not start me with Godhead :(

Do you have it unlocked? Seeds still consider unlocks

Possibly not. Tested the Bandage Girl seed twice and both times I got a Meat Boy on Cave I. Tried the other one once and got three Meat Boy's and a Bandage Girl.

This really needs to be made a two-option choice, it's fucking stupid.

Edit: Apparently EU PS4 is only on 1.01. That's bullshit because once 1.03 is ready for EU release they'll had the seed exploit fixed (I'd imagine).

They improved how meat/bandage drop (slightly) or at least changed it, so yeah those aren't good for 1.01. 1.03 was already submitted to SCEE though, I assume they'll push it through...uh...I figured it'd be through by now really. But they said it was all on Sony EU at this point

ZeroCoin

Finally got the last of the items last night using the basement seed. Couldn't get the missed trophy unlock trick to work, so I just had to do some quick runs with Isaac to get to the cathedral on another file. Platinum trophy achieved though. Such a great game. Need to take a break and go back to finishing spelunky.

SerTapTap

Last Eden token; it decides to start me with 1 Soul Heart, Magnetic Tears, Bob's Brain and Poop.

I just did most of the other character's stuff before playing with Eden. You'll eventually have a good stock of Eden tokens. But yeah, it gives me some annoying builds at least as often as good ones. Also, I once started with book of revs first floor with Eden. So excite! ...yeah I didn't get Meat Boy OR Bandage Girl. I didn't come close actually, both were level 2 by the end that's all.

Manu

I just did most of the other character's stuff before playing with Eden. You'll eventually have a good stock of Eden tokens. But yeah, it gives me some annoying builds at least as often as good ones. Also, I once started with book of revs first floor with Eden. So excite! ...yeah I didn't get Meat Boy OR Bandage Girl. I didn't come close actually, both were level 2 by the end that's all.

Isaac, Azazel and Eden are the only characters with which I've beaten everything so far (in normal mode).

Most of my Eden runs have been great.

Now Eve and Samson, on the other hand...

SerTapTap

Samson, really? He's pretty easy IMO. Sure, taking advantage loses access to devil deal unless you can exploit a curse room or something, but his damage can get great especially early on, and by later on character features are less relevant anyway.

Now Maggie, she's just awful.

Top Bottom