• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

I was using Azazel to do it, assuming I'd need to do the eight Mom Heart kills with someone else if the save trick doesn't work?

Not sure what you mean, You cannot get the 8 kills thing again on the same save file no matter who does it, you'll need to do it on a different save file if the save trick doesn't work. Different characters won't help.

SerTapTap

I spend more time looking up the effect of items than actually playing the game. So annoying.

It's like that at the start, but you'll learn and not have to do it nearly as often. Only look up items when you see them, after actually using them you'll have a much better memory of them than if you just read about them. Doing > seeing for memory.

Not sure what you mean, You cannot get the 8 kills thing again on the same save file no matter who does it, you'll need to do it on a different save file if the save trick doesn't work. Different characters won't help.

Misread your previous post by accident.

Looks like the tenth Mom kill trophy got glitched. Assuming by save file you mean I can use slot 2 or does the entire file on the PS4 need to be deleted?

I spend more time looking up the effect of items than actually playing the game. So annoying.

It does get better...

I was there two weeks ago, but now unless I'm playing Isaac and (ab)using the Dice I don't need to. I recognize on sight the items which can be run killers...stuff like Soy Milk, the Yellow Syringe, Bob's Brain, and all the charge items.

SerTapTap

It does get better...

I was there two weeks ago, but now unless I'm playing Isaac and (ab)using the Dice I don't need to. I recognize on sight the items which can be run killers...stuff like Soy Milk, the Yellow Syringe, Bob's Brain, and all the charge items.

Almost all of the charge items are amazing. Brimstone and Mom's Knife are basically instant wins, Chocolate Milk is great, Monstro's Lung is situational but can be amazing as long as tears don't get too low. Cursed Eye is complete shit though. Even without the teleports it's awful.

Misread your previous post by accident.

Looks like the tenth Mom kill trophy got glitched. Assuming by save file you mean I can use slot 2 or does the entire file on the PS4 need to be deleted?

Yes, use a different save slot like slot 2, that's what I did.

ThisOne

Almost all of the charge items are amazing. Brimstone and Mom's Knife are basically instant wins, Chocolate Milk is great, Monstro's Lung is situational but can be amazing as long as tears don't get too low. Cursed Eye is complete shit though. Even without the teleports it's awful.

Yes, use a different save slot like slot 2, that's what I did.
I agree about brimstone and mom's knife but chocolate milk and monstro's lung don't seem to do great damage considering how long they take to charge. I usually skip them.

SerTapTap

I agree about brimstone and mom's knife but chocolate milk and monstro's lung don't seem to do great damage considering how long they take to charge. I usually skip them.

Chocolate Milk lets you mash to deal rapid lower damage tears which quickly cleans up poop/fire/very weak targets, and the charge time is basically free on lots of bosses where you have to wait anyway. Damage is pretty good, especially with a high damage stat. Monstro's Long is a bit luck dependant since the pattern is RNG, but hitting a lot of shots will deal a great deal of damage. It's important you don't judge them by super low stat versions, with some tears and damage up Monstro's Lung is great (just avoid ANY tears down stuff) and Chocolate Milk is amazing with enough max damage.

Also, Chocolate Milk allows you to partially ignore the slow fire rate of certain things like inner eye, mutant spider and such, as you can mash for much weaker shots. Monstro's Lung is a bit iffy but I'll almost never pass up on chocolate milk.

When I said charge items I assumed it was a given I was talking about the ones that charge tears, not Mom's Knife or Brimstone.

I hate the Lung and Chocolate Milk. I don't want to either have to charge or to tap fire.

And I'm not the only one, I frequently see streamers skip them.

SerTapTap

I can see not liking mashing, but Isaac is close enough to a shmup and that's one of few genres I'm willing to mash in if it gives a substantial enough advantage. For instance Anti Grav tears can let you mash full damage tears and with a few tears ups it's as fast as you can press. I only have a problem with it if I have items that don't pair well (tears down + monstro's lung, Azazel + anti grav) or if I get them super early because mashing with a crap build is annoying. But when I mash and kill Satan in 3 seconds, sure

Honestly the start is by far the least enjoyable part of the game. Low speed, slow tears, boring attacks, no quirks.

Just had one of the best starts I'd ever had in an Isaac run.

I had this room where there were two of those bombable chests that were close enough to open with my single bomb. Result: Bob's Brain and Cricket's Head. I picked up Cricket's Head and rerolled Bob's Brain into... Capricorn. Never been that powerful that soon. Pity I messed it up with some lousy plays and ended up dying to Isaac...

Ambitious

It's like that at the start, but you'll learn and not have to do it nearly as often. Only look up items when you see them, after actually using them you'll have a much better memory of them than if you just read about them. Doing > seeing for memory.

It does get better...

The problem is, I've got a terrible memory. And some of the items look too similar to each other. The item descriptions that appear below the title when you pick one up don't help either most of the time.
Guess I need to play more often.

Haunted

I'm not the only one who sees these guys as flexing their arms on first glance, right? :D

Begotten.png

KarmaCow

I'm having so much trouble playing as the Lost. I guess I play sloppy normally because I can't even get to Mom before fucking up. It also doesn't help that Curse rooms are basically off limits most of the time and I rely on them normally. At this point it seems impossible for me to ever get Platinum God, even if I did luck into an early Holy Mantle somehow.

CassSept

I'm having so much trouble playing as the Lost. I guess I play sloppy normally because I can't even get to Mom before fucking up. It also doesn't help that Curse rooms are basically off limits most of the time and I rely on them normally. At this point it seems impossible for me to ever get Platinum God, even if I did luck into an early Holy Mantle somehow.

Just reset until you get a good item at the very beginning, The Lost is absolutely brutal, I listed the way I did it a page ago but even then it took me several dozen hours, hundreds of runs and a great number of promising runs wasted by my sloppiness or bad rng (there are room layouts where I swear avoiding damage is borderline impossible).

SerTapTap

Just reset until you get a good item at the very beginning, The Lost is absolutely brutal, I listed the way I did it a page ago but even then it took me several dozen hours, hundreds of runs and a great number of promising runs wasted by my sloppiness or bad rng (there are room layouts where I swear avoiding damage is borderline impossible).

Yeah if you're playing on PC no sense in doing anything but mashing R until you get a first room item room with something that gives your dead heart the tiniest glimmer of hope. Doesn't have to be Holy Mantle but definitely don't settle for the first thing you see, plenty of good stuff in the item rooms.

BigAT

So I popped into a Curse room during a Lost run because I already had Dead Cat and was 2/3 to Guppy. I managed to finish it up in the room, but upon leaving I died (obviously) but respawned back in the Curse room so that this just repeated over and over again until I ran out of respawns. Is this how it's supposed to function?

So I popped into a Curse room during a Lost run because I already had Dead Cat and was 2/3 to Guppy. I managed to finish it up in the room, but upon leaving I died (obviously) but respawned back in the Curse room so that this just repeated over and over again until I ran out of respawns. Is this how it's supposed to function?

You're supposed to respawn in the last room that your were in, before you died.

That's weird.

Haunted

Going through the exit door in curse rooms counts as taking the damage at the beginning of the next room (and you'll consequently respawn back in the curse room).

What you need to do instead of trying to go through the door is actually die in the curse room (like killing yourself with a bomb) to respawn in the previous room - the room outside the curse room.

That's how it should work, at least.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The Lost is killing me. I've done almost everything else, but I'm lucky if I make it three or four floors in with The Lost, especially when so many items are fucking worthless with him. It's ridiculous. Hard mode with any other character is infinitely easier than The Lost on normal, even with the bugged PS4 drops.

Haunted

It allegedly does high damage. I've never actually attempted to use it on an enemy though honestly. Maybe if it had a 1 room recharge.
Maybe if all the beams hit the same target, but I can't imagine that happening outside of say, a Gurdy fight.

It always seems to miss smaller enemies and with a 4 room recharge, it's pretty much one of the worst use items as far as I'm concerned.

The Lost is killing me. I've done almost everything else, but I'm lucky if I make it three or four floors in with The Lost, especially when so many items are fucking worthless with him. It's ridiculous. Hard mode with any other character is infinitely easier than The Lost on normal, even with the bugged PS4 drops.
You don't even unlock anything for beating any milestone with The Lost on normal, better to just go at it on hard (a strong run is a strong run on any difficulty setting).

That said, The Lost is indeed a pretty ridiculous proposition. I always see it as requiring to get all the "____ Boy" achievements in a single run, which, looking back, I haven't managed to do even once in any of the hundreds of successful and ridiculously OP runs I've had in this game and the original.

You don't even unlock anything for beating any milestone with The Lost on normal, better to just go at it on hard (a strong run is a strong run on any difficulty setting).

The Soul/Body/Mind and Isaac's Heart can all be unlocked on Normal. Which I did and the trophy didn't pop for Isaac's Heart. ;_;

There is a race condition between the door damage and the room change when you go through the room. Sometimes the damage occurs before you leave, sometimes after.

If I know I'm going to die in a situation like this, instead of going through the door just walk into the door without going through. That will trigger the damage and guarantee the damage occurs in the curse room, and Guppy will trigger taking you outside the room.

KarmaCow

Yeah if you're playing on PC no sense in doing anything but mashing R until you get a first room item room with something that gives your dead heart the tiniest glimmer of hope. Doesn't have to be Holy Mantle but definitely don't settle for the first thing you see, plenty of good stuff in the item rooms.

That's basically what I did, I reset every time I saw something that awful. Ended up finding Kamikaze and Dead Bird back to back that way. Maybe I need to take that idea further.

It really is ridiculous, especially since The Lost doesn't even have above average stats in anything. Flight makes not a complete shitshow but it's so stacked against you. Even using pills is a gamble.

Haunted

The Soul/Body/Mind and Isaac's Heart can all be unlocked on Normal. Which I did and the trophy didn't pop for Isaac's Heart. ;_;
Oh, I got that completely wrong, then. Could've sworn I read something different on the wiki.

edit: ah, I think I read the entry for Godhead and extrapolated from there, my bad.

edit²: maybe The Lost should start with Sacred Heart (probably the strongest Angel Room tear effect), similar to how Azazel starts with one of the strongest Devil Room tear effects.

edit³: Difficulty aside, I think every character that nullifies several of the game's core mechanics (like Blue Baby with red hearts and related HP items and The Lost with... all HP related items) is bad design, period.

Oh, I got that completely wrong, then. Could've sworn I read something different on the wiki.

edit: ah, I think I read the entry for Godhead and extrapolated from there, my bad.

edit²: maybe The Lost should start with Sacred Heart (probably the strongest Angel Room tear effect), similar to how Azazel starts with one of the strongest Devil Room tear effects.

edit³: Difficulty aside, I think every character that nullifies several of the game's core mechanics (like Blue Baby with red hearts and related HP items and The Lost with... all HP related items) is bad design, period.

eh, Blue Baby is quite easy to exploit with stuff like Whore of Babylon and the films, and there are plenty of soul heart generators. The Lost is just a pain in the arse.

SerTapTap

eh, Blue Baby is quite easy to exploit with stuff like Whore of Babylon and the films, and there are plenty of soul heart generators. The Lost is just a pain in the arse.

Yeah, Blue Baby lets you take advantage of some stuff that's fairly hard to take advantage otherwise. As Azazel sometimes I'll actually try to get rid of all my red hearts if I have a good thing going.

There is a race condition between the door damage and the room change when you go through the room. Sometimes the damage occurs before you leave, sometimes after.

If I know I'm going to die in a situation like this, instead of going through the door just walk into the door without going through. That will trigger the damage and guarantee the damage occurs in the curse room, and Guppy will trigger taking you outside the room.
The door deals damage of you go in or out. If you're flying it doesn't damage you for going into the room though.

I agree the lost is just bad design. It's not satisfying to beat the game with him either, it just feels like work, even though it can get pretty exciting in certain fights.

So after crying into a bucket for the past week over how bloody hard the Lost is I've finally defeated the main bosses with it.

All on normal though.

And no Boss Rush.

I am happy with that result.

The door deals damage of you go in or out. If you're flying it doesn't damage you for going into the room though.

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

If I have Dead Cat, am at 1/2 heart, and am leaving the room, I want to make 100% sure the damage doesn't occur after I leave the room. So I will go stand in the doorway. Inflicts the damage but guarantees you won't go into the other room before it does.

SerTapTap

I agree the lost is just bad design. It's not satisfying to beat the game with him either, it just feels like work, even though it can get pretty exciting in certain fights.

IMO it's just about perfect with the Holy Mantle. Curse rooms work, bullshit accidental hits will not count against you, but bossfights are VERY tense as are certain rooms, it's still very. very hard, but if you die it feels like your fault, not the game's fault. The only thing that felt like bullshit when running with Holy Mantle is two Adversaries. Because that fight just is BS, and there's an unavoidable attack if they both use brim from opposite sides of the room.

IMO it's just about perfect with the Holy Mantle. Curse rooms work, bullshit accidental hits will not count against you, but bossfights are VERY tense as are certain rooms, it's still very. very hard, but if you die it feels like your fault, not the game's fault. The only thing that felt like bullshit when running with Holy Mantle is two Adversaries. Because that fight just is BS, and there's an unavoidable attack if they both use brim from opposite sides of the room.

I think Holy Mantle for The Lost as standard would be very fair. One hit a room is far more fair than no hits ever.

SerTapTap

So after crying into a bucket for the past week over how bloody hard the Lost is I've finally defeated the main bosses with it.

All on normal though.

And no Boss Rush.

I am happy with that result.

IMO there's no reason to play as The Lost on Normal. Too late in this case I know, but IMO the difficulty increase for hard mode is absolutely nothing compared to just having to do another several successful Lost runs. I don't recommend playing as it on normal ever. If you die you probably would have died on Normal anyway.

Viruz

IMO there's no reason to play as The Lost on Normal. Too late in this case I know, but IMO the difficulty increase for hard mode is absolutely nothing compared to just having to do another several successful Lost runs. I don't recommend playing as it on normal ever. If you die you probably would have died on Normal anyway.

Hi,
Is there a blog or a website where I can find a way to play without seeds of other players. Or maybe seeds are the way to go?

I'm playing with : http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth and http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Binding_of_Isaac:_Rebirth_Wiki

Do I have to play and finish the game X times with Isaac? That's what I'm trying to do.

I've unlocked Eden x 3 and some others characters. Is it important?
I'd like to play this without seeds if it's possible. I did some challenges.
Thanks.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just had the most game-breakingest run ever. Sharp Plug + Wafer is too damn good. Finally got the D100, rolled through to infinite breakfast and Undefined allowed me to infinitely replay the Chest. Too bad it couldn't help me get Steven...

Erigu

Hard mode with any other character is infinitely easier than The Lost on normal, even with the bugged PS4 drops.
Sorry, just started the game last week and I haven't read the entire topic yet (it's long!)... Could somebody please tell me what's bugged about the drops, in the PlayStation 4 version?

CassSept

What about 2-3 Cages? Jesus. Absurdly huge damage sponges too.

diablogod

I finally 100% this game... Getting the meat girl and meat boy achievements took almost as long as all my runs unlocking all the stuff with The Lost...

SerTapTap

What about 2-3 Cages? Jesus. Absurdly huge damage sponges too.

You can get 3 Cages?! But yeah, they're pretty bad, but it depends on their pattern. But I don't think they have anything literally unavoidable--without invincibility, you can't avoid two Adversaries using the 90 degree homing brimstone from opposite sides of the room (which is how they spawn, yayyy). I guess Adversaries go down faster than Cages at least.

Is there an official explanation to the story of the game? I've read a lot of theories but they're just that.

It's deliberately left up to interpretation, but this guy has an explaination that Edmund called "surprisingly accurate"

Just had the most game-breakingest run ever. Sharp Plug + Wafer is too damn good. Finally got the D100, rolled through to infinite breakfast and Undefined allowed me to infinitely replay the Chest. Too bad it couldn't help me get Steven...

The Breakfast thing kind of kills the reroll items for me, plus the fact that if you get a good item you'll never get it again from rerolling.

Hi,
Is there a blog or a website where I can find a way to play without seeds of other players. Or maybe seeds are the way to go?

I'm playing with : http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth and http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Binding_of_Isaac:_Rebirth_Wiki

Do I have to play and finish the game X times with Isaac? That's what I'm trying to do.

I've unlocked Eden x 3 and some others characters. Is it important?
I'd like to play this without seeds if it's possible. I did some challenges.
Thanks.

For platinum trophy on playstation you'll probably want seeds, but it's not required. And seeds are only really "recommended" for some very lategame, very unfun unlocks, don't worry about seeds until those are the very last unlocks (meat boy, bandage girl, and The Lost's unlockables).

The characters you unlock are important, yes--the icons you see in the top left of the character select are "boss kill" stamps, and each one for each character provides an unlock. To get 100% completion, you'll eventually want to beat all end bosses with all characters. But to just get to "the end of the game", you can play as Isaac--but Isaac isn't very good until you get an item unlocked by playing as the blue baby.

Those are the best two resources, though Playstation Trophies has some specific info for the trophies that matter on PS including some seeds. Nothing is really platform specific though. It's a complex game, I'd focus on unlocking what you can now (challenges, boss kills), ask here or look on the wiki for help if you get stuck.

(well that was a long post)

Yay, it seems the trophies on my main file bugged so I haven't won anything after the 9th mom kill.

Getting real plat is going to be a bitch, isn't it

SerTapTap

Yay, it seems the trophies on my main file bugged so I haven't won anything after the 9th mom kill.

Getting real plat is going to be a bitch, isn't it

It's not consistent, I missed the 9th but not the 11th or whatever it was. So while it sucks, it doesn't mean you'll never get trophies again or anything. Also real plat doesn't depend on the other trophies at all. Getting the platinum trophy does, but you can mop up the last bits on another file.

It's not consistent, I missed the 9th but not the 11th or whatever it was. So while it sucks, it doesn't mean you'll never get trophies again or anything. Also real plat doesn't depend on the other trophies at all. Getting the platinum trophy does, but you can mop up the last bits on another file.
Yeah, but I've gotten literally nothing after that one. None of the 3 mom kill trophies, Judas' trophy from my first Sheol run, the Satan kill trophies from the 4 times I took him down, etc.

SerTapTap

Yeah, but I've gotten literally nothing after that one. None of the 3 mom kill trophies, Judas' trophy from my first Sheol run, the Satan kill trophies from the 4 times I took him down, etc.

That's definitely odd, Vita? EU version? I played almost entirely on PS4, finished up with 1.03 and seemed to have not much issue. I missed maybe 10% of trophies, and on the second try none of them failed to unlock. Unsure if it's a matter of luck or what.

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

If I have Dead Cat, am at 1/2 heart, and am leaving the room, I want to make 100% sure the damage doesn't occur after I leave the room. So I will go stand in the doorway. Inflicts the damage but guarantees you won't go into the other room before it does.

I know this happened on the original game, but I haven't been able to receive damage by standing in the doorway in Rebirth.

I know this happened on the original game, but I haven't been able to receive damage by standing in the doorway in Rebirth.

Hmm, I do it all the time. Can't imagine why it wouldn't work for you.

It was something I had to figure out as I was once in there with 0 bombs, and no other method to kill myself.

Top Bottom