• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

CassSept

If you can't get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl just exploit Sharp Plug, I honestly don't see any other way to legitimately complete the achievement - even Book of Revelations on the first floor can screw you up by throwing Conquest at you in Womb I.

Haunted

If you can't get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl just exploit Sharp Plug, I honestly don't see any other way to legitimately complete the achievement - even Book of Revelations on the first floor can screw you up by throwing Conquest at you in Womb I.
LLShC.gif

Looking at Steam's global achievement stats, the rarest achievements are all The Spoiler related ones on the very bottom, then the two highest shop upgrades, followed by the MB/BG ones (~5% of playerbase). Not unexpected.

SerTapTap

You do get invincibility frames because I think it still technically counts as damage.

I won't immediately do that anyway. I'll struggle through a load of proper runs, then go Holy Mantle, then go Pyro/Kamikaze if all else fails.

Trust me, Holy Mantle is the better run. It's actually fun and intense (you will probably die many times but due to skill not bullshit), I just wish he started with Holy Mantle or something similar, so I could get a different map every time.

Well, when I was unlocking the lost, I noticed it stopped increasing, even though I had obviously died 3 times in a row when I picked Azael, it didn't show -3. Can't remeber if it showed 0 or -1.

Interesting. On a side note, I noticed exiting the game and restarting (and presumably hitting R to reset on PC) don't count as a loss streak. Figured it would, but it's not like the streak really matters except for your own ego.

Patch 1.03 altered Meat/Bandage spawn slightly at least on PS, do we know what the deal is with that? There's a seed where Book of Revs (or just naturally getting all 4 horsemen) on odd/even floors will always give you Meat/Bandage Girl by Womb 1. Was there some change that made alternating floors always have the same spawn from Horsemen? I mean, even if that's the case, it's still complete bullshit without first floor Book of Revs AND knowing the trick, but it makes me curious.

BTW did anyone else find Lord of Flies insanely late? I guess pretty flies from vending machines must not count for it. I figured I would have gotten it ages ago but I actually got it well after Golden God. Meanwhile I've been guppy over 10 times.

I mean, you won't be able to exploit seeds forever, right? They patched that out in 1.032 and even though the PS versions are behind, surely that patch is eventually going to make its way to PS4/Vita as well.

I'll just pause the update while I do what I've got to do. I think the only thing that I will have to do post patch is Meat Boy/Bandage Girl so hopefully they don't release 1.3 in the EU as 1.32 because fuck Meat Boy/Bandage Girl.

So is there nothing to unlock for any character in hard mode if you go past Mom's Heart? I think the Spoiler is the only one but just making sure.

The Spoiler is the only character that requires hard mode completion for everything to get Godhead. The rest only have babies for Mom's Heart.

ThisOne

How does sharp plug help you get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl? Do you just reuse the Book of Revelations over and over?

BigAT

How does sharp plug help you get Meat Boy/Bandage Girl? Do you just reuse the Book of Revelations over and over?

I think you reuse it infinitely with Monster Manual.

I personally still think restarting until you get floor 1 Book of Revelations is much more feasible (if you're not seed exploiting). Yes, you might get screwed in The Womb and not get it, it's happened to me. But I think it only took me 3 or 4 early Book of Revs to get both Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. On the other hand, I still haven't come remotely close to getting a combo that would have produced them otherwise.

CassSept

1. Restart game until you get Scapular in the first item room (well, that's the fastest way)
2. Get Sharp Plug (in Caves II at latest since you need 3 treasure rooms)
3. Preferably get to 0.5 a heart to not screw up
4. You now get infinite reroll! Thanks to scapular procing every time you use D6, you just need to use D6, exit room, re-enter until you get the item you want, since Scapular will work again every time you enter a room.
5. Now you need infinite health, so you want Pyromaniac + one of items that turns your tears into bombs, so either Ipecac, Dr Fetus or Epic Fetus
6. Once you get these two get to the treasure room and reroll until you get Monster Manual
7. Spam Monster Manual until it forms Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, heal with Pyromaniac+explosion

Basically every time Monster Manual chooses to spawn Bandage/Meat/lvl 2 of these it gets added onto the one you already possess, so with enough rerolls you'll form both lvl 4 Meat Boy and Bandage Girl.

It's tedious but it's guaranteed to work.

ThisOne

I think you reuse it infinitely with Monster Manual.

I personally still think restarting until you get floor 1 Book of Revelations is much more feasible (if you're not seed exploiting). Yes, you might get screwed in The Womb and not get it, it's happened to me. But I think it only took me 3 or 4 early Book of Revs to get both Meat Boy and Bandage Girl. On the other hand, I still haven't come remotely close to getting a combo that would have produced them otherwise.

Ah gotcha. I'm a little confused about the Book of Revelations though. I've gotten it before on the basement and then used it but not had a horseman boss at the end. Is there a certain time during the level you need to use it to ensure a horseman? Is the horseman always an end of level boss once you use it or can they appear elsewhere?

SerTapTap

Ah gotcha. I'm a little confused about the Book of Revelations though. I've gotten it before on the basement and then used it but not had a horseman boss at the end. Is there a certain time during the level you need to use it to ensure a horseman? Is the horseman always an end of level boss once you use it or can they appear elsewhere?

If you use the book of revs any time before the current floor's boss, it will be a horseman. Not sure about XL floors, and any "fixed" boss fights like Mom will not be replaced. I believe Headless and Conquest are still possibilities that can screw you over, as of course is getting 3 meat and 1 bandage or something.

It seems to break on BASE MENT and I'm not sure why, but in any normal run it seems to work exactly as expected.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I got the super meat boy achievement naturally today just going through the levels, I was super surprised and quite happy. I have never EVER seen the second upgrade to bandage girl though. I also chocked hard on Isaac whilst having super meat boy -_-

SerTapTap

Do I have to pick up an item to get credit for it? Or just see it?

Gotta pick it up. Basically if it's a new item, pick it up no matter how bad it'll screw up your run. If you care about 100% anyway. Items like Bob's Brain, Cursed Eye and such are fairly common though. But if it's an item from an uncommon pool, grab it ASAP.

SerTapTap

Am I doing it wrong by playing this game without any guides?

Basically yes. It's kind of interesting at first but eventually you'll be stunting your own progress because you're stupidly ignoring incredibly poorly exposed but very important mechanics. Plus a lot of the item descriptions are still vague and a few are still straight up WRONG which I thought they were going to fix.

The proper way isn't to read a guide though, IMO it's to look up items on Platinum God as you see them, and learn the game though Wiki pages and asking more experienced/same experience people how stuff works. You shouldn't play it without help, but you also shouldn't just sit for 10 hours reading before playing. Learn as you play. If you're playing without learning though, you're not gaining anything.

ThisOne

I'm getting close to completing the game on normal with every character. I haven't unlocked the secret character yet though and also haven't bothered with any of the challenges. I still have a ton to do but the game is so much fun that I'm not complaining.

1. Restart game until you get Scapular in the first item room (well, that's the fastest way)
2. Get Sharp Plug (in Caves II at latest since you need 3 treasure rooms)
3. Preferably get to 0.5 a heart to not screw up
4. You now get infinite reroll! Thanks to scapular procing every time you use D6, you just need to use D6, exit room, re-enter until you get the item you want, since Scapular will work again every time you enter a room.
5. Now you need infinite health, so you want Pyromaniac + one of items that turns your tears into bombs, so either Ipecac, Dr Fetus or Epic Fetus
6. Once you get these two get to the treasure room and reroll until you get Monster Manual
7. Spam Monster Manual until it forms Meat Boy/Bandage Girl, heal with Pyromaniac+explosion

Basically every time Monster Manual chooses to spawn Bandage/Meat/lvl 2 of these it gets added onto the one you already possess, so with enough rerolls you'll form both lvl 4 Meat Boy and Bandage Girl.

It's tedious but it's guaranteed to work.

Thanks for this. That's the last annoying thing out of the way. Only a couple more "beat mom's heart" on hard modes left and then I'm just waiting for the PSV patch so I can get Dead boy/godhood and the platinum.

CassSept

If you use the book of revs any time before the current floor's boss, it will be a horseman. Not sure about XL floors, and any "fixed" boss fights like Mom will not be replaced. I believe Headless and Conquest are still possibilities that can screw you over, as of course is getting 3 meat and 1 bandage or something.

It seems to break on BASE MENT and I'm not sure why, but in any normal run it seems to work exactly as expected.

Conquest is definitely a possibility, that happened to me before.

SerTapTap

I'm getting close to completing the game on normal with every character. I haven't unlocked the secret character yet though and also haven't bothered with any of the challenges. I still have a ton to do but the game is so much fun that I'm not complaining.

Do the challenges. They unlock a ton of very useful stuff, and with the exception of the no-tears ones (where unlocking the red/blue candles is a big plus) they can be done any time after they're unlocked without much worry. Worst ones are the no-tears ones and Purist but even those only took a few retries personally.

KarmaCow

Did they severely nerf the brimstone spawn rate? I've only ever seen it twice in my playtime and it's always when I have good tear-based builds that would be ruined with brimstone. I want to play with the crazier synergies. :(

Novocaine

I used to see Brimstone all the time in the first game. It seems a lot rarer in Rebirth.

Just started a run. First floor Mom's Knife, second floor Dad's Key. Also Petrified Poop. What god mode runs are made of. GG

SerTapTap

Did they severely nerf the brimstone spawn rate? I've only ever seen it twice in my playtime and it's always when I have good tear-based builds that would be ruined with brimstone. I want to play with the crazier synergies. :(

It's pretty uncommon now. It's a special item now, and, somehow, it wasn't in Isaac. This means D6 alone gives you a 50% chance to have it instantly rerolled away, as does any other special item (the special tag was applied far more conservatively this time though)

I think it's a good change honestly, it's almost an instant-win item, devil deals are quite common now, and this way more runs are more interesting than just "have brimstone". On the other hand, all the cool interactions with brimstone mean it's not super boring to have, either. Mom's Knife + Brim, Ludovico + Brim, Spoon Bender, lots of good stuff now that would just be "x overrides Y" in Vanilla.

I used to see Brimstone all the time in the first game. It seems a lot rarer in Rebirth.

Just started a run. First floor Mom's Knife, second floor Dad's Key. Also Petrified Poop. What god mode runs are made of. GG

I feel the opposite, IMO the Brimstone is far more common

CassSept

RNG and all, for example I've seen Epic Fetus many many more times in Rebirth than I did in Isaac, mostly because I almost never got it in the original, I was always jealous of people who'd talk about how good Epic Fetus is while never getting it myself :(

baconcow

Wish they would fix the infinite loading mid-game. Ruins some great floor runs that have to be retried. Also, tons of textur disappearing glitches that do not go away until the game is shut down fully and restarted. Also, missing trophies and have tried the upload, delete game, restart, download, sync method, mentioned, without luck.

I just had one of those super fun runs that remind me why I play this game.

Guppy + Cancer + a whole bunch of shot speed/fire rate items. I had so many flies that Satan's forms all died basically instantly to the fly hordes.

A little part of me wants Mom's Knife to get nerfed. It's still too fucking good.

I just had one of those super fun runs that remind me why I play this game.

Guppy + Cancer + a whole bunch of shot speed/fire rate items. I had so many flies that Satan's forms all died basically instantly to the fly hordes.

Love those runs too. I'm assuming your fly horde was this big:

Fuck Dead Cat. Fuck Guppy's Collar. Fuck The Fallen. Especially fuck Black Leeches.

I was there, ready to unlock the lost. Then I have to die 9 times so I could die proper, then the Collar kicked in. Then a Black Leech killed me. Guppy Collar's didn't activate.

Go fuck yourself Satan.

(decent seed: NLGE NNAA. Guppy and shit)

SerTapTap

Oh god, seriously do not pick up ANY reviving items on runs to unlock The Spoiler. There's a near zero chance you need them to reach mom's heart/satan and there's a very high chance they'll screw you up even if you don't get one of the ones that turn you into a different character.

Don't get guppy either, or any auto-fire familiars. Attack flies can kill Satan and you can't do jack about it if there's too many when you enter.

A little part of me wants Mom's Knife to get nerfed. It's still too fucking good.

Knife is fun though, I love the skill of using it close ranged, or hitting an enemy right at the apex of the throw so they take much more damage. Aside from arguably Ipecac it's probably the most complex weapon to wield requiring the most skill to make the most out of. Not that it's not pretty easy to just blindly throw it and do alright, too.

Haunted

I actually think the book of revelations doesn't guarantee a horseman on the floor it's used, but it guarantees a horseman during that "chapter" (basement; cave; depths; womb). Now where this can fuck you up for the achievement is that there's also a chance of horsemen (conquest and headless horseman) spawning during the latter two chapters and they don't have a guaranteed cube of meat/ball of bandages drop.

In summary: it's pretty much RNG bullshit. :p

SerTapTap

I actually think the book of revelations doesn't guarantee a horseman on the floor it's used, but it guarantees a horseman during that "chapter" (basement; cave; depths; womb). Now where this can fuck you up for the achievement is that there's also a chance of horsemen (conquest and headless horseman) spawning during the latter two chapters and they don't have a guaranteed cube of meat/ball of bandages drop.

In summary: it's pretty much RNG bullshit. :p

The rules are more complex than I thought, but it looks like if you use it on floor 1 it should always have a harbinger as long as it's not a double-sized room

Apparently the reason it didn't work for me in BASE MENT is it only works once per "environment"

Also just found this on the wiki, I think 1.03 silently introduced this:
If the Cube of Meat is obtained in Basement I, every subsequent drop from a Harbinger will be a Cube of Meat too. This means that a level 4 Meat Boy can be obtained after beating Death on the first floor of chapter 4.

This is definitely not the case in the original version, but I've seen two seeds that seem to corroborate it for both meat boy and bandage girl (the seeds do not work for EU players stuck before 1.03 which is why I think that's where it was added). It's still pretty unreasonable as it requires book of revs first floor.

I haven't played the original, though I own it. Should I just buy this?

I'm wondering if playing the original first will "spoil" this, as I'm sure it's at its most enjoyable when playing fresh.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

I'm wondering if playing the original first will "spoil" this, as I'm sure it's at its most enjoyable when playing fresh.

Just buy Rebirth. There's basically no reason to play the original with rebirth around.

SerTapTap

IMO just get Rebirth. The only better things in Vanilla are the music and much more debatably the graphics...some enemies look better in Vanilla, some really don't, but IMO the levels in general look much worse.

But Rebirth is both more accessible and has more "endgame" content, removes a lot of bugs and performance issues, has items interact more predictably, makes some of them suck less (and only a couple were nerfed...actually only one got a really major nerf, arguably 2). Rebirth is overall a much smoother experience from start to finish and has more options and enemies in general.

I don't think playing Vanilla will really spoil it though. You shouldn't learn too much that's no longer correct in Rebirth, gameplay is mostly skill and knowledge, skill transfers 1:1, knowledge mostly transfers but not entirely. But if you don't get the hang of it quick, Vanilla is missing Azazel who is an extremely beginner friendly character.

UglyPony

So uh, any idea when EU is getting a patch? We are stuck at v1.01 since well... forever. NA got patched mid december last year and EU has yet to get patched. I know its Sony EU being absolute horseshit with certifying but this is taking the cake. Note to self: Never buy a nicalis game.

I assume Dead Boy is bugged on 1.01. Beaten both The Chest/Dark Room without being damaged and I'm not getting anything. No secret or trophy.

Stats update
Items: 309
Mom Kills: 32
Secrets: 129/178
Endings: 16/16

So uh, any idea when EU is getting a patch? We are stuck at v1.01 since well... forever. NA got patched mid december last year and EU has yet to get patched. I know its Sony EU being absolute horseshit with certifying but this is taking the cake. Note to self: Never buy a nicalis game.
I'm never gonna get a EU Nicalis release again either and will be getting the expansion for BoI on Steam only. What a joke.

Novocaine

So I finally made it to Mega Satan in a state that I was confident I could beat him in. All I knew is that he spawned several enemies, didn't know the fight would take that long though. Really cool boss fight, feels good to finally have that ending unlocked.

Now all I need to do is beat both of the final bosses on hard with ??? and The Lost to be done.

This is completely random & I'm pretty certain this is just the booze going to my head, but do Edmund McMillen & Phil Fish have any kind of beef with each other or crazy past history in the indie scene?

I was just wondering why McMillen decided to put a fez on Judas. :p
If it's some legendary story I apologize for being dense.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
I'm never gonna get a EU Nicalis release again either and will be getting the expansion for BoI on Steam only. What a joke.
Supposedly they sent the patch to both SCEE and SCEA at the same time and I guess only SCEA approved the patch before the holiday break.
I don't like Nicalis either but you should blame SCEE for this one.

SerTapTap

Just got reminded of the Most Unholy Edition, sad I snoozed on that, I want the art book now.

This is completely random & I'm pretty certain this is just the booze going to my head, but do Edmund McMillen & Phil Fish have any kind of beef with each other or crazy past history in the indie scene?

I was just wondering why McMillen decided to put a fez on Judas. :p
If it's some legendary story I apologize for being dense.

I think it's a mostly lighthearted joke, but it's because Fish voted against Ed in some indie games festival thing

Novocaine

So what are some of you guys favourite items in Rebirth? Here's my favourite 5 (in no particular order).

1 - Thunder Thighs. Love that you can run around destroying every block in the game.

2 - Jump. This would have sucked if it wasn't infinite uses but it is. I love combining it with broken remote and teleporting everywhere.

3 - There's Options. You get options to not take shit items. Helps for situations like getting Chad as ???

4 - Dad's Key. Old item yeah, but Rebirth has added a lot of value to it now that item rooms are garunteed to be locked after the first floor, plus it lets you in to Mega Satan.

5 - Black Candle. No more shitty curse rooms.

Honourable mention - Petrified Poop. Makes poop worth shooting, awesome when combined with ???

Supposedly they sent the patch to both SCEE and SCEA at the same time and I guess only SCEA approved the patch before the holiday break.
I don't like Nicalis either but you should blame SCEE for this one.

Still waiting on 1001 Spikes for PS systems too :/

Anyway isn't this patch full of nerfs? I don't really want it anyway.

Just got reminded of the Most Unholy Edition, sad I snoozed on that, I want the art book now.

I think it's a mostly lighthearted joke, but it's because Fish voted against Ed in some indie games festival thing

There will probably be a few copies available when their store goes back up. It's been down since October though. Been keeping an eye on it because there are supposed new resin figures coming that I need to add to my collection.

BouncyFrag

So what are some of you guys favourite items in Rebirth?
PHD - I love getting good perks and knowing what they are. Getting this for when you are in the caves with all those mushrooms is choice.

Steamy Sale with 1+1

Anything that increases my luck as it's helpful with the slot machines late in the game when you don't get any more stores and have pennies to burn. I don't gamble in real life but there is a thrill getting an item on your last penny that helps unlock more things such as chests and rooms when you are limping around late game on a single heart.

Guppy Transformation - flying and hits generating flies is the best.

SerTapTap

So what are some of you guys favourite items in Rebirth? Here's my favourite 5 (in no particular order).

Anyway isn't this patch full of nerfs? I don't really want it anyway.

There will probably be a few copies available when their store goes back up. It's been down since October though. Been keeping an eye on it because there are supposed new resin figures coming that I need to add to my collection.

I prefer Leo, but yeah crushing rocks is great. Nail is also good.

Pulse Worm, which I find too rarely, is awesome because of the visual effect and making shots hit enemies easier.

Anti Grav Brimstone is awesome and I love it.

Tech .05 is awesome as it's basically free damage on top of your current abilities.

I always try to get PhD and Champion's Belt (and of course the OP but kinda TOO OP stopwatch) in the shop, very fun and useful items.

Really most of my favorite runs have been about the combos, not single items. Stuff like telepathic ludovico lasers, super high fire rate pulse worm tears, shielded lasers (lasers still erase enemy shots!), Mom's Wig + Guppy.

Uh, you want 1.03. 1.03 has no nerfs, leaves the seed exploit, fixes Lumps' teleport AI and makes the platinum trophy/real plat god/dead boy possible. Only negative is it doesn't fix Hard Mode. 1.031 fixes hard mode, nerfs Dark Bum (but not TOO bad apparently) and Krampus.

Oh right, the figures too. I kind of want all of those.

Top Bottom