• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

d00d3n

You get Azazel from making 3 deals with the devil in one run. You get Lazarus from having 4 soul hearts at once.

Thanks!

By the way, this guy:
isaac-game-breakingdvu4c.png

Almost game breaking for smaller enemies and many kind of bosses.
The creature seeks out stuff and start biting. If you have the flying power, winning is just a matter of keeping away

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The game feels incredible now at 60fps, and I love how fast all the room transitions are. I beasted through my first playthrough and beat Mom thanks to a ton of majorly powerful tear upgrades early on and the book that gives you a shield. By the end I couldn't see enemy bullets through my mayhem, so it's good that everything died fast.

Second playthrough I made too many deals with the devil and got no health upgrades and eventually lost the war of attrition.

I like the new music okay, but it turns out I miss the old soundtrack, which is weird because I usually played with the music off (because this is a great podcast game). I also don't think Mom's new voice clips are as creepy as the old ones, but I guess that had to be changed for change's sake.

Grief.exe

First impressions of Rebirth's music.

The music is significantly higher fidelity. I have a fairly high-end set of headhpones, amplifier, DAC, etc, and I can instantly tell the music is of much higher quality.

Thanks!

By the way, this guy:

isaac-game-breakingdvu4c.png

Almost game breaking for smaller enemies and many kind of bosses.
The creature seeks out stuff and start biting. If you have the flying power, winning is just a matter of keeping away

First item I got as well, made mince meat of Larry Jr.

Puru

Yeah i tried it on my Vita and it's like 2 times faster, actually alot harder now, PC version will clearly have to wait until i upgrade.
There's framerate drop though, that's for sure, using a pill just drop hard.

GWX

Aside from a few slow room transitions, I'm loving the Vita version. Plays perfectly with left stick + face buttons, IMO. Did Basement Boy on my second run without even paying attention/wanting to do so :lol.

Soy milk is the goddamn devil. Never again. I got soy milk and tech 2, which was probably a mistake but, you know, gotta pick up all the things! So even with the mark and pentagram I had nearly no damage. Luckily I got the tears that destroy enemy projectiles and
Brimbaby
carried me to victory.

Jesus the download speed is atrocious: 8 minutes for less than a gig? blegh

*climbs off high horse

glad this is finally out though, loved the PC Isaac

Woo. One for one. Felt really weird at first with how smooth it is.

First run was kind of a walk. Got some good upgrades. Technology right out of the gate with Blue Mushroom, Number One, and Polyphemus along the way. Got headless baby and Aquarius, which made for a fun time (
Double creep trail
).

Also I think I found the super SUPER secret room that somebody else was talking about. It popped up on Edmund and Danielle's stream last night and they didn't want people to see what it did. I won't spoil it, but I did get a good laugh.

ONWARD!

Forgot to ask in my other post. Does the flash filter need to be unlocked? I didn't see it in the options menu or anything. (Vita)

Great work on the OT. Have to say after playing a bit I'm still a bit confused. Picked up one item(bottom right of screen now) that I'm not sure what it is and what it does and what is this green bar?

Oh man I avoided ALL info and media about this remake and after just playing it for an hour my mind is blown. So many changes and everything for the better. Playing the pc version and it is freaking gorgeous and gross. Can't wait to try the vita version. What a game.

I can finally play it. No complaints with the vita version so far. I got one question: Is the normal difficulty the same as the original BoI's difficulty?

jblank83

There's a save bug with save file 2. It won't save your progress. Save file 1 or 3 should be fine. Took me 2+ hours and multiple lost runs (including Basement Boy) to find this out. Just FYI to all.

Soy milk is the goddamn devil. Never again. I got soy milk and tech 2, which was probably a mistake but, you know, gotta pick up all the things! So even with the mark and pentagram I had nearly no damage. Luckily I got the tears that destroy enemy projectiles and
Brimbaby
carried me to victory.

I saw chocolate milk and went "nope". Even in Rebirth, it's so ingrained that I couldn't make myself take it to see how it was now.

MercuryLS

Banned
This game reminds me of the dungeons from the first Zelda (I hated that game). It's alright so far. I wish they would port super meat boy to the PS4 ;/

NotLiquid

Anyone else get Monstro's Lung? awesome.

Monstro's Lung almost took me to my first victory against Mom, particularly when I had it coupled with Tough Love. It's always guaranteed to provide one or two teeth in one charge for that.

Brimstone ended up being what secured my first win. It's so good in this game when buffed with Tears Up properties it isn't even funny. I was lucky enough to even get it with poison properties. I'd like to think of it as a radioactive beam.

Oh my god this is fantastic. I was a big fan of the original "The Binding of Isaac" and with all of the new items and rooms it feels like a sequent rather than just an altered version of the first game. The very first playthrough I picked up:

[items, rooms, and new characters]
The Ludovico Technique on the second floor in an item room, and Brimstone on the same floor in a Devil Room which, coincidentally, appear to be appearing to me more often than before for me but perhaps I'm just forgetting how common they were in the previous version. I have to say that this combination was absolutely stupid in how overpowered it was, it killed almost everybody as soon as I entered a room because the area of effect was quite substantial. Admittedly it had a downside in that it made some things difficult to see at times, but I absolutely blitzed through the run. In terms of new characters, I'm finding Azazel incredibly powerful also as the ability to fly and whatever the short Brimstone is makes him incredibly competent at disposing the earlier foes quickly while avoiding damage. Finally, the new room that opens up via the crack in the wall after fighting Mom, after which you fight a huge collection of bosses in a row, while always fighting at least two at once, is absolutely intense. Really interested to see what other changes are in store to be discovered/

Ferrio

Banned
Uhh... did I just...did I just
Beat every boss in the game in a single room?!?!
HOLY SHIT

Also unlocked mom's knife.

Chesskid1

Banned
ok, now that i've played the vita and ps4 version i really like the ps4 version more

controller sticks are better
gamma adjust (vita is a bit too dark)
vita version is bit too small but still playable

vita version is still quite good tho.

does anyone know how SYNC works? i just used it and i figured it would upload but it pulled an old save, lost my first mom win but i dont mind

Grief.exe

Yep, this game has been consolized. Famine moves at a snails pace, enemy HP seems generally lower, and the game is, simply put, easier. I had my reservations while I was watching streams last night and this morning, but now I have confirmed it myself.

I'm not irked by the changes. We have plenty of new content I haven't seen yet and a hard mode, but it's obvious they have toned down the difficulty to a degree. I will say the tweaked stats and proliferation of better items in the boss pool helps to decrease the difficulty.

Holy hell, it's already sold at the very least 70,000 copies in less than a day...
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

You know that's concurrent right? That means unique players on per second.

Generally a conservative estimate is ~10% and that tends to hold up when sales numbers are released. If the game continues to top the sales chart, and it likely will due to positive word of mouth, I wouldn't be surprised to hear 750K to 1 million sales soon enough.

You know that's concurrent right? That means unique players on per second.

Generally a conservative estimate is ~10% and that tends to hold up when sales numbers are released. If the game continues to top the sales chart, and it likely will due to positive word of mouth, I wouldn't be surprised to hear 750K to 1 million sales soon enough.

Yup. I was curious to get even a rough gauge of how well it's doing. It's probably MUCH higher than the peak number. 40,000 concurrent though is pretty rad. Glad this amazing game now has such a large audience for what started out as a side project!

Grief.exe

Yup. I was curious to get even a rough gauge of how well it's doing. It's probably MUCH higher than the peak number. 40,000 concurrent though is pretty rad. Glad this amazing game now has such a large audience for what started out as a side project!

To give some perspective on that number, 70K concurrent is one of the highest numbers for Steam games this year. Dark Souls 2 hit 80K on launch, and that has been the best game of the year so far.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just had the most OBSCENE Judas run. Quad shot, piercing shots, bouncing shots, HUGE damage. Satan's last form lasted less than a second.

Makai

Wowww. Maybe it's because I just lightboosted my monitor, but this game looks way smoother and crisper than I was expecting. It looks, dare I say, next gen? Maybe it's because I haven't seen GBA style sprites in an indie game. SFX, OST, and animations are awesome.

I was planning on getting the Vita version, but I just got it for free. Did they change that? I thought it wasn't cross-buy. (After activating it on PS4 it was listed for free on Vita)

Xeteh

I beat
mom (did I even need to spoiler that? Ill just play it safe.)
on my second try because I got some amazing items. I played the game like 3-4 times on Steam but hated the keyboard controls and Joy2Key always seemed wonky. Downside is I did it on my brother's PSN account without realizing it. I'm sad now.

Having a blast though, works really well on vita.

Game looks fantastic on the PS4, but my god the filter over the womb/utero is garbage and is actually hurting my eyes. I hope they patch this shit out or give an option to at least.

ElTopo

Banned
Yep, this game has been consolized. Famine moves at a snails pace, enemy HP seems generally lower, and the game is, simply put, easier. I had my reservations while I was watching streams last night and this morning, but now I have confirmed it myself.

I'm not irked by the changes. We have plenty of new content I haven't seen yet and a hard mode, but it's obvious they have toned down the difficulty to a degree. I will say the tweaked stats and proliferation of better items in the boss pool helps to decrease the difficulty.

I've only played it for a bit (45 minutes and died at Mom) and it's definitely easier but in a good way. You have better chances at getting useful weapons/items and there's fewer "fuck you" rooms where the instant you enter you are going to get hit by either an extremely fast enemy or just not have the room to get out of the way (this is more common in the Wrath of Lamb DLC).

Top Bottom