• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Killed Satan on my second run, with
Lazarus
. Holy shit, Brimstone +
Tiny Planet
is amazing, and
Infestation 2
is a great item. Off to an amazing start, and I've unlocked everyone except Maggy, Eve and Samson.

Oh, and the new Curse of Darkness suuuucks. Thank god for dynamic laser lighting.

Ozium

one thing I do like is how it will tell you what the item does on screen as you pick it up, don't remember that being in the original

Just unlocked
Azazel
and decided to try him out. First item in the item room? Tiny planet. Yeah, this is gonna be a fun one.

I actually got tiny planet on my run before this, but it completely fucked me over because I was relying solely on Proptosis (?) to carry me. Still beat mom with half a heart left and one heart container total tho.

Jb

So uh... tried it without having read the OP. It wasn't too hard but I imagine there's a bunch of unlockable difficulties with new bosses and items?
Speaking of which, I had zero ideas what the fuck the pills, tarrot cards and everything that wasn't hearts/bombs was for. I didn't see a menu like Spelunky explaining what stuff did, but again that's probably why I should have read the OP.
The religious commentary wasn't exactly very subtle or thought-provoking but at least it was kept to the intro & outro.

I think Isaac is a tad too slow at start. I think the game is far more fun once you get at least one speed power-up.

Fun but I died at Depths II on my second run in one of the worst ways possible.
I had fraction of the health left with tarot card that spawns two hearts in the Curse Room and blocked my exit with a bomb ARGH

First of a million dumb ways to die in Rebirth achieved. Hooray. I wished I could check it in the Womb :(

Edit: Holy crap [items]
Headless Baby, now that's a gruesome familiar

Lol, I've died in so many dumb ways so far. Not knowing the new items and their combos is fun, but also frustrating when I fuck up with them.

Kid Ska

Just unlocked
Azazel
and decided to try him out. First item in the item room? Tiny planet. Yeah, this is gonna be a fun one.

So is it just a
laser ring
around you? Because with
Brimstone it orbits you then continues across the screen

So is it just a
laser ring
around you? Because with
Brimstone it orbits you then continues across the screen
Yep.
it shoots forward a bit then rings around you for like 2 seconds before it dies out. Quite possibly the best item you could hope for with him since the range on his shot is so low.

I started laughing the moment I picked it up and saw how great it works with him.

Kid Ska

lmfao
soy milk
is hilarious. I like how its the opposite of chocolate milk

Do the other buttons on the vita ever do stuff with other upgrades? I know left trigger drops bombs, but does right trigger or the back touch screen do anything? Also, do bombs charge overtime or just once per use? Is there a good starters guide out there?

epmode

Er, how does this game handle 16:10 resolutions? Seems that it stretches vertically at first glance. And there's no way to manually set fullscreen resolution.

edit: It might be OK after all. It's strange that the v1.0 gets cut off on my title screen when I run at 2560x1600 or 2560x1440 desktop. If I switch to 1080p first, the version number displays properly.

Kssio_Aug

I guess it is possible to share those "seed" codes?
If it is, it can be interesting. I guess people can share the codes where they were able to find good items that carry on?

For example, here is my last run code: ZFM3 QV0F

I guess it is possible to share those "seed" codes?
If it is, it can be interesting. I guess people can share the codes where they were able to find good items that carry on?

For example, here is my last run code: ZFM3 QV0F

I think that's all that's needed to share seeds (eeeh). Apparently the runs are not exactly the same though, Bisnap and NL did this and there were some differences.

gngf123

Anti-gravity tears are fucking weird, but I like them.

3b4b85e5df.jpg

Different kind of secret room?

Ferrio

Banned
I'd like to thank Evil Bum for carrying my ass through my first heart run.

Also fear shot + laser is pretty op.

Nick_C

For anyone still wondering, the donation machines unlock new items to pick up once you hit a certain threshold with the money you put in.

P.S.
Azazel is a beast.

If you have your Documents folder on another partition the game creates a C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirth folder for the save game data. :-/

Also, there doesn't seem to be any Steam Cloud related info on Rebirth's Properties>Updates tab.

CassSept

Haha dice rooms rock, it just gave me Mama's Boy, on my first Mom's Heart kill too. Hilarious room. It randomized my items and gave me an op setup, now I'm going through Cathedral because Angel Room spawned :D

jblank83

I miss the old soundtrack.

Yeah, I took some flak for saying the same several weeks ago, but I'm still not digging the music. I don't hate it, but it's not as good as the original. The crunchy faux rock sound is just sort of not great. The original soundtrack was sort of melodious but melancholy and spooky and creepy. It was great.

Not only that, a lot of the sound effects are weak in general, for instance picking up coins, the cries of the Isaac clones, or the pooting worm sounds. You had great sound effects already. Should have used those, then added new ones.

I hope someone will make a PC mod to replace the sounds/music with the original's sound files.

If you have your Documents folder on another partition the game creates a C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirth folder for the save game data. :-/

Also, there doesn't seem to be any Steam Cloud related info on Rebirth's Properties>Updates tab.

That's not doing it for my save problem. My install is on C drive in the same partition. I don't see a save folder there.

Kid Ska

Third run, first death. Got virtually no health upgrades after Raw Liver on Basement 1, but I did have Soy Milk with Spirit of the Night, Tough Love, and a lot of range upgrades so at least it was a fun run.

My body is Isaac. I am so hyped and at the same time so flooded with games with my recent addition of the Xbox one. Good to be in this predicament :)

zsswimmer

So theres no mouse shooting? Im looking at the control layout and Im not sure how to change it back to how it was in the original game.

Am I the only one who never does the deal with the devil? I feel like they make the game too simple.

Although I beat Mom on the first run because I got three jokers and ended up in three holy rooms. Got wings, the chalice, and the bread. All that combined with the laser eye and the snake attack power up made the end pretty trivial. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, I think it's great.

Kid Ska

Am I the only one who never does the deal with the devil? I feel like they make the game too simple.

Although I beat Mom on the first run because I got three jokers and ended up in three holy rooms. Got wings, the chalice, and the bread. All that combined with the laser eye and the snake attack power up made the end pretty trivial. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, I think it's great.

Simple as in easy? Because Angel Rooms make it even easier with no health sacrifices.

d00d3n

I just had a lucky run and completed the game (well, the first time at least) despite my awful skills. Unlocked azazel and lazarus. What were the unlock conditions for these two?

Also, what does the eight number unique code in the pause menu do?

I am really liking the game. Feels so much better to play than the flash version.

Simple as in easy? Because Angel Rooms make it even easier with no health sacrifices.

I guess. I have more of a thing against devil rooms because they pop up much more often. Angel Rooms can't even spawn unless you turn down a devil room or luck into the cards like I did. I have no problem with other people using them, I just prefer not to. I can't remember the last time I made a deal with the devil and didn't win that run.

What the hell at the new
Mom's Heart
:/
I kinda love how it's full-on bullet hell now. It makes for an interesting - if hard as hell - fight.

Everything about this game is wonderful. The great pixel art coupled with the dynamic lighting is something to behold.

I just had a lucky run and completed the game (well, the first time at least) despite my awful skills. Unlocked azazel and lazarus. What were the unlock conditions for these two?

You get Azazel from making 3 deals with the devil in one run. You get Lazarus from having 4 soul hearts at once.

CassSept

I kinda love how it's full-on bullet hell now. It makes for an interesting - if hard as hell - fight.

Everything about this game is wonderful. The great pixel art coupled with the dynamic lighting is something to behold.

Isaac (boss)
is rather insane too. An absolute ton of tears throughout the entire fight, a seemingly huuuge bump in health and at one point in the fight he starts to move around, it's no longer a completely stationary fight. It will be hell

Con_Smith

Banned
Played a bit on my break and it was everything I hoped for and more. Gonna save the rest for my train ride home but I can't wait to really tear in and get the good stuff. One question for my Vita brethren though, I had the tv remote and shoop but for some reason once I tried to shoop on the boss after picking up the remote I just got teleported around. Is there a switch button or am I missing something?

ElTopo

Banned
I don't think the graphics are that much of an upgrade but I love the new music and lighting. The new level design is great too.

Top Bottom