• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Stat!

No damage/tear upgrades is agonizing. Only worse thing, outside of The Lost, is when you play as Maggie and get no speed upgrades. I'll quit a run over that. Thankfully I never have to play her again...until Afterbirth anyway...

Yeah Maggie's speed is terrible. Speed is really underrated in the game outside of damage.

Thankfully (or not thankfully) I only do Eden runs.

Just had a reroll of a run with rubber cement, ipecac, mom's contact (tears always shoot from behind), and shielded tears. Barely survived.

SerTapTap

Yeah speed is underrated. It's not as obvious a benefit, but it helps in dodging some enemies/bosses, and just generally makes the game far more enjoyable. Trudging along at 1 speed is agony, and stock/Isaac speed isn't TOO much better, especially without wings.

Nelo Ice

Banned
I am hopelessly addicted to this game. I've already logged 48 hours and I just got it when it was a daily during the summer sale.

UberTag

Congrats to Punny.

Weekly races should be fun.
That was quite the finish in that final race.
Clutch rolled Proptosis in the Chest that Dick called moments before it happened to seal his unblemished 12-0 tournament record. Exciting stuff.

My Isaac is ready for the Afterburth.

VG0jn9p.png

AoM

I don't think I'll ever get real platinum god. "Playing" the Lost just makes the game not fun and tedious as hell.

SerTapTap

They're doing something to help the lost in Afterbirth right? Did they ever decide on what? They really just need to give it the Holy Mantle but I doubt it'll happen. I think the options were just stat buffs and starting with one of the die items.

MrPanic

I don't know if this was known information or anybody cares here, but Tyrone Rodriguez streaming on twitch just said they are going to announce the releasedate for the 3ds version of Rebirth upcoming monday.

edit: He reiterated at the end of the stream that their next blog update on bindingofisaac.com upcoming monday is going to be about the new console versions of Rebirth (so XBone, WiiU and n3ds).

They've said they're going to fix the re-rolling to stop endless breakfast.

Did they give any idea as to how?

I guess they could repeat charge items and/or stat-only items, but that's not significantly better than just breakfast.

Repeating everything would make breaking runs just weird...can you imagine the trail of pets?

SerTapTap

Did they give any idea as to how?

I guess they could repeat charge items and/or stat-only items, but that's not significantly better than just breakfast.

Repeating everything would make breaking runs just weird...can you imagine the trail of pets?

Aren't pets removed? Almost everything except transformation status seems to be gleefully removed when rerolling so I don't really see why rerolling away an item can't just toss it back in the pool. Ideally, sort of a delayed re-add so you don't end up rerolling Brimstone immediately into Brimstone of course.

corn_fest

One thing I'd love to see in Afterbirth is a variant of Eden where you start the game with more items but at the Depths (or maybe even a selectable starting floor).
Love the game, but when just playing some rounds for fun, I'd be okay with never slogging through the Basement again.

SerTapTap

One thing I'd love to see in Afterbirth is a variant of Eden where you start the game with more items but at the Depths (or maybe even a selectable starting floor).
Love the game, but when just playing some rounds for fun, I'd be okay with never slogging through the Basement again.

That would be cool. The Basement is usually very boring especially if you don't get the Cellar. It's part of why I hate Maggie, basement is bad enough, but basement at minimum speed? Best part of Azazel is clearing that crap in <1 minute.

Alternately, beef up The Basement as the game gets harder via unlocks, but I'm not sure how well that'd balance against the player starting with no items (and no items is a big part of why it's boring). The Cellar can already be a bit rough with characters like Maggie and no good items in the first two item rooms.

tornjaw

Finally! Who knows how many months I struggled to get Super Meat Boy and Super Bandage Girl. The last two days, got them both, finishing up Real Platinum God.

Stat!

I had two of the worst deaths ever on basement II.

1) Walking into an item room fire.

2) Taking a bad trip pill that moves me an inch towards a deal with the devil that kills me :|

Though my next run, I think I had the best D4 start ever. Eden with Card holder. I get Monstro's tooth in first item room. Rerolls into The Soul and Holy Mantle. Going to see if I can go the whole run without taking damage!

Akai__

No talk for EU makes me sad, hope we don't have to wait too long.

Crossing fingers for the n3DS version running good.

People on Twitch say it will be a global release, just like on Steam. Supposedly, that's what Tyrone said in a Twitch stream. But yeah, don't quote me on that.

SerTapTap

Any chance this goes on sale in the PSN Summer of Digital tomorrow? I have it for Vita but I didn't realise it wasn't Cross Buy! Want to play it on PS4 too.

Maybe, it's been on sale (only to like 33% I think?) on Steam but not on PSN that I know of. I was hoping they'd slip it in the easter sale.

Aren't pets removed? Almost everything except transformation status seems to be gleefully removed when rerolling so I don't really see why rerolling away an item can't just toss it back in the pool. Ideally, sort of a delayed re-add so you don't end up rerolling Brimstone immediately into Brimstone of course.

Oh, so this does nothing for breaking runs emptying the item pool, and is strictly a fix for rerolling items you already own.

Items rerolled going back into the pool is kind of rough. Just what I'd want is to roll back into Tiny Planet/Monstro's Lung.

Let's hope so, Nicalis doesn't exactly have the best track record on handling European releases.

Understatement of the millennia. Nicalis are to timely European releases as Square Enix are to timely European releases. I know that's not an elegant comparison, but fuck it. Nicalis aren't deserving of one.

UberTag

Is there any timeframe on the release date for Afterbirth yet?
We've heard "this summer" and "when it's done".
I'm not expecting it this month for what that's worth.
Still hoping to bang out the Platinum trophy before Afterbirth arrives.

CassSept

In the new update Edmund mentioned that they are about two months away from completion. Adding some delay I guess we will see Afterbirth around October then.

Akai__

In the new update Edmund mentioned that they are about two months away from completion. Adding some delay I guess we will see Afterbirth around October then.

Awesome. Also:

tumblr_inline_nrgkcdtuH31rq0wgw_500.gif

So many teases. I don't think we fully understand how much bigger Afterbirth will make the actual game. We don't know anything about the new mode and that will probably be a huge surprise, since we are just speculating.

Tiops

So, I've been trying to find Missing No. to finally get my Real Platinum God trophy, but no luck yet. I enter every freaking Secret Room and always reroll stuff with D6, but no luck yet. Is there any way to make things easier?

SerTapTap

So, I've been trying to find Missing No. to finally get my Real Platinum God trophy, but no luck yet. I enter every freaking Secret Room and always reroll stuff with D6, but no luck yet. Is there any way to make things easier?

You could shoot for an infinite reroll build. I eventually got the last of the secret room things (I think it was One Up) by rerolling with Sharp Plug. Got it just before I killed myself with it.

Sharp Plug is easy and you can shoot for it on any run, the infinite health part is much harder but you can still get some extra rerolls via sharp plug and some other item charge items.

RIP people not from the US, like me.

Nicalis keep putting blame on the EU PSN team, but I honestly don't know of another publisher that is this prominent and fucks up a global release so badly. Nobody seems to be making much of a fuss of it, and I wish somebody would call them on their errant bullshit. Isn't 1001 Spikes still not out on anything in the EU?

There's some massive hold-up with every single game they release in the EU with every major publisher (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft), but honestly how many games, especially indie titles, launch just in the US these days? I can think of Shovel Knight off the top of my head, but they were very apologetic and transparent about how hard localisation was for them, and they were tiny compared to Nicalis.

Akai__

Nicalis keep putting blame on the EU PSN team, but I honestly don't know of another publisher that is this prominent and fucks up a global release so badly. Nobody seems to be making much of a fuss of it, and I wish somebody would call them on their errant bullshit. Isn't 1001 Spikes still not out on anything in the EU?

There's some massive hold-up with every single game they release in the EU with every major publisher (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft), but honestly how many games, especially indie titles, launch just in the US these days? I can think of Shovel Knight off the top of my head, but they were very apologetic and transparent about how hard localisation was for them, and they were tiny compared to Nicalis.

Nicalis has a bad track history, I agree. However, the game is submitted for final approvement for Nintendo Europe for example. They are just awaiting a resonse, so it's not really their fault. I trust Edmund more than Nicalis and he made it pretty clear that he wanted to release worldwide on Steam and he actually did. He probably wanted a global release for this one too, but thinks don't always work like you want them to do. I just hope this delay isn't very long, because I was planing on getting it on Xbox One. I'm also considering trading in my old 3DS to get a N3DS once Afterbirth comes out.

Edit: I just realised, that you can probably change region on Xbox One and it should work without any issue.

I'm changing my region to get the Xbox One version, just gotta figure out what the best way to go about getting the code for adding money is.

I wished Newegg would allow buying from other countries. They have any (weird) amount of US$ 's on their website. So, you can actually buy 13US$ for 13$ on their website for example. All other sites (I know of) are using the standard 10,15,25,30 and 50 formats.

It would be even easier, if Xbox just allowed to use Paypal anywhere.

I'm changing my region to get the Xbox One version, just gotta figure out what the best way to go about getting the code for adding money is.

SerTapTap

You can usually buy gift cards (at least for PSN) on ebay for face value + email delivery: here's an xbox live card listing, as long as it's paypaldigitalgifts you're buying from it should be fine, though I've never tried to buy out-of-country.

Does Xbox One have any weirdness when changing regions? I noticed that games that have English AND Japanese options will default to Japanese, occasionally with no option to change, on my Japanese 360. I shouldn't need to buy a Japanese Xbox One this time around, but just curious as to how it works. On PS4 you just log in on a Japanese account and buy, then log in on your US account and play, the only region change is your account.

Top Bottom