• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Citizen_Insane said:
Just got
Ludo and magnetic tears from my first two item rooms. Holy shit this is the best combination ever. I can move the tear around and it attracts every enemy and item to it!

I need to make a video of this.
Quoting myself because this is absurdly OP.
I can hide in a corner and have every enemy just crowd around the tear. It's hilarious. Even works on bosses so I can push them away from me!

And now the game just gave me tiny planet in my third item room hahahaha. Almost scared to take it because I really don't know how ludo + tiny planet works at all. If anyone wants this insane seed it's 36DA BPTZ

Edit: It just orbits around me now but I can control it still so it's not a big deal.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
SWfil9X.png

This was my near-perfect classic-boy run. Only took damage from Basement I to
Utero II
once, on the first floor, to a stupid fly.

Sheol was pretty easy as well, but I hit this one absurd room with Brimstone turrets and that killed any chance of that floor's Boy achievement.

If anyone runs that seed, see if you can
get full Guppy. I was 2/3 there myself. Wonder if another piece was on the floor somewhere.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The pixel style with the awesome shader effects and lighting makes this game look really good. The music is growing on me too. I still miss Repentant though.

epmode

While I mostly like the new music, I'm really hoping for some lovely PC people to find a way to replace it with the old stuff. It's strange that it isn't already an option, honestly.

A sound effect swap would be nice as well!

Holy shit this game is incredible. But man is it frustrating,

I just died on the first level with 5 minutes my first two games, then just got like 35-45 minutes into my third and died at the fourth floor boss (such an easy one at that...) Do I really not get a single unlockable from doing all that? :'(

And how the hell do I know what items do? I never know what to buy at the shop. And what are those pill looking things that show up as ???

Any help is appreciated. This game is fun as hell but I am lost

Joey Ravn

Banned
Only a few hours until it's available on Vita in Europe! I can hardly wait. It should be up for download once I get back from work, yay!

Sciz

With Gnawed Leaf and that little grub guy that follows you and chomps enemies I can pretty much beat nearly every room by standing still and doing nothing.

The leaf is completely broken.
I lucked into it and a Daddy Longlegs, so my entire strategy for the back half of the game consisted of walking into a room and standing still while everything that moved got automatically stomped to death. Nothing deals damage to you, and nothing can break you out of the invulnerability. Bonus points for also having a meat cube so anything fool enough to charge your inert form gets obliterated even faster.

Holy shit this game is incredible. But man is it frustrating,

I just died on the first level with 5 minutes my first two games, then just got like 35-45 minutes into my third and died at the fourth floor boss (such an easy one at that...) Do I really not get a single unlockable from doing all that? :'(

And how the hell do I know what items do? I never know what to buy at the shop. And what are those pill looking things that show up as ???

Any help is appreciated. This game is fun as hell but I am lost
That's the charm of the game! For a lot of the new items which weren't in the original, nobody has any idea what they do. And sometimes runs just go bad and you die on the first floor even if you're a good player.

If you don't know what something does in the shop, just buy it anyway and hope for the best haha. Typically all shop items are helpful. Every pill is marked with ??? until you use it once and identify it. There's one item in the game called PHD that identifies them for you, but other than that you have to just take the gamble and use the pill and hope you get something good. Sometimes it can completely fuck you over, and sometimes it can save your ass.

Holy moly, I played OG Isaac Wrath of the Lamb just to see if I'd like it better than Rebirth. And boy, did I had one heck of a run with Samson. I was almost finished with Satan (first time reaching him too) but then them stupid floating worm bombs got me.

Literally, one hell of a run. I'm loving Rebirth but OG Isaac still has a place in my heart.

Exuro

Beat it on my fourth try. Liking the new bosses and items I've seen so far. Performance is fantastic. Feels kind of weird playing the game so smoothly.

That's the charm of the game! For a lot of the new items which weren't in the original, nobody has any idea what they do. And sometimes runs just go bad and you die on the first floor even if you're a good player.

If you don't know what something does in the shop, just buy it anyway and hope for the best haha. Typically all shop items are helpful. Every pill is marked with ??? until you use it once and identify it. There's one item in the game called PHD that identifies them for you, but other than that you have to just take the gamble and use the pill and hope you get something good. Sometimes it can completely fuck you over, and sometimes it can save your ass.

That clarifies a lot, thanks :)

Sarcasm

Beat it on my fourth try. Liking the new bosses and items I've seen so far. Performance is fantastic. Feels kind of weird playing the game so smoothly.
And in glorious 60fps..mind you I have to turn full screen off before quitting so the game doesn't bug out when starting it up again.

Haunted

The new lighting adds so much. Also absolutely loving the big rooms.

boss spoilers
The boss gauntlet in the huge room after Mom, with 10+ of the bosses in a row was one of the most exhilarating endurance-testing fights I've done in Isaac.

So once you get to the skull and beat the boss you win? I can never make it that far so curious what comes after that.
Oh Slasher, you have only scratched the surface.

Ferrio

Banned
The new lighting adds so much. Also absolutely loving the big rooms.

boss spoilers
The boss gauntlet in the huge room after Mom, with 10+ of the bosses in a row was one of the most exhilarating endurance-testing fights I've done in Isaac.

Oh Slasher, you have only scratched the surface.

I think it was pretty much every boss in OG issac except the special ones. I murdered that room, I had such an op build. Double shot, max shot speed, shielded tears, lots of damage. Triple orbitals

This game is incredibly fun. Very addicting and to get it for free is insane. I've never really played these kind of games before. I need to check out Rogue Legacy now.

ThisOne

What do the coin machines in the shop rooms do? Do I have to put a certain number of coins in before it does something?

Also, what button do I press to use tarot cards? (PS4)

Astral

Just played it for a bit before calling it a night. I don't like how long it takes to kill bosses so far but I'm guessing that changes once you get stronger or something. What's with the locked doors I seemed to have no way of opening? Is that what the codes are for? You go back by inputting the code once you acquire keys or something?

Managed to beat Mom on my first run on PS4 (I played the game on PC originally so not a total noob). I got multiple plus damage on top of splash damage tears and flight. That was after multiple terrible pills, so I had limited health, but the splash damage is way OP.

The game really needs better explanations. Even coming from the last game, I still didn't understand some of the things I had in the bottom left corner.

Ferrio

Banned
Just played it for a bit before calling it a night. I don't like how long it takes to kill bosses so far but I'm guessing that changes once you get stronger or something. What's with the locked doors I seemed to have no way of opening? Is that what the codes are for? You go back by inputting the code once you acquire keys or something?

Challenge rooms are closed. They'll open if you're at full red health if it's a normal challenge room, or open if you're at 1 heart red health of a boss challenge room.

Ozium

I've only played like 7 runs so far but I've had the worst fucking luck... FML

On my last run I finally got an active item, after not getting any from the last 6

also the new boss enemies from what I've seen are super annoying, basically any enemy that CHARGES at you I fucking hate and it seems like 80% of the new ones are that type...

:/

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Azazel is definitely easy mode. Fun, though. Had an amazing run until I got greedy on Depths II and ended up giving 4 hearts for a worthless 48 Hour Energy.

Acerac

Banned
The old mom voice was much better than the new one

Biggest nerf in the game. I miss Mom's old voice.

The new tracks are growing on me though. This game is more than meeting my hype. :)

Azazel is silly. He's fun to stomp with, but makes everything so easy. Maybe I should try hard mode...

Mom's heart needed the difficulty bump. It was a joke boss before. Hell, the womb as an entirety was easier than the third floor.

MNC

This game is incredibly fun. Very addicting and to get it for free is insane. I've never really played these kind of games before. I need to check out Rogue Legacy now.
Oh my, you're in for a treat with rogue legacy

I kind of feel Isaac has lost a bit of charm, as if Edmund was not around during development. It's missing a small bit of oomph and that might be the music. Waiting for the inevitable mod!

Gintoki

Holy shit (item combo)
I got an infinite teleport somehow last night. Items were a book with mario on it which makes you jump, with a trinket of a broken switch.
Too bad it was my third run, only reached
moms heart
so far.

CassSept

Biggest nerf in the game. I miss Mom's old voice.

The new tracks are growing on me though. This game is more than meeting my hype. :)

Azazel is silly. He's fun to stomp with, but makes everything so easy. Maybe I should try hard mode...

Mom's heart needed the difficulty bump. It was a joke boss before. Hell, the womb as an entirety was easier than the third floor.

Yeah the Womb as a whole is actually difficult now even without mistakes. I shuddered when I entered it and saw it can have holes in the ground too. Thank God I lucked out and already got no damage achievement for the floor.

how's the vita version holding up?

I don't own a PS4 so Vita is the only way I can play. The game is fucking good. I never played the old one and I don't know how it runs on PS4, but as far as I can tell it runs great!

What is the point of doing challenges? Are they all just the same general outline (5 floors) with an added effect?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
how's the vita version holding up?
There are framerate drops in the larger rooms, the severity of which is dependent on how much stuff is going on. I was playing Azazel and entered a large room with 6 enemies that fade in and out, 8 fires, and ton of rocks/skulls. It was chugging until I cleared the room. Not enough to mess me up, but very noticeable.

It's not a pervasive problem, but it will pop up occasionally. I'd consider myself fairly sensitive to framerate drops, and I'm not finding it to hinder my enjoyment at all. It takes a lot of shit going on to make it crack.

Haunted

The old mom voice was much better than the new one
srsly.

Some of the sound effects are pretty weak.

I'm not 100% sure I like that they removed the reddit meme faces. Probably makes it easier to return to the game in a couple years when no one remembers those anymore... but I miss trollface bomb.

JimPanzer

There are framerate drops in the larger rooms, the severity of which is dependent on how much stuff is going on. I was playing Azazel and entered a large room with 6 enemies that fade in and out, 8 fires, and ton of rocks/skulls. It was chugging until I cleared the room. Not enough to mess me up, but very noticeable.

It's not a pervasive problem, but it will pop up occasionally. I'd consider myself fairly sensitive to framerate drops, and I'm not finding it to hinder my enjoyment at all. It takes a lot of shit going on to make it crack.

thanks! that makes me confident I'll like it :) now it only needs to pop up on the EU store

Many people have small fps drops even on PC, and in every room, after playing like 10-20 minutes! It's really annoying, restarting the game fixes it, but still...

hope that some updates will fix this

Gintoki

Speaking of the sound effects, the sound of them is really low compared to the music even though I've set the sound effects volume at the highest. (Steam ver.)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Here's a surprise: This game is Binding of Isaac. Technology does weird stuff when you combine it with other tears.

(Item effect spoilers?)

I got technology on my Azazel run, it overrode the base effect entirely and gave me incredibly slow tech tears. I then got a tears down pill and suddenly had max speed for my technology.

It's nice to know that some things never change.

Also I'm really coming around to the graphics. I still don't like the pixel art itself, but I love the lightning and general creepiness.

I just willingly picked up Holy Water. What have I become? What are you doing to me, Rebirth?

edit: Just finished that first Azazel run (I CAN SAVE AND RESUME ISAAC!) and steamrolled through Mom's Heart on my first time seeing it. Absolutely love the new battle, but I was stupid OP by that point.

Top Bottom