• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

WITHE1982

So ready to finally play this on the PS4. Do we know when the EU store updates?

It's never a set time but I've found that when I check mid-afternoon, around 3pm UK time, they are usually up.

I've got my Vita at work and I'm checking every 10 minutes. It's starting to interfere with my work... or is it my work is interfering with my gaming?

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
It's never a set time but I've found that when I check mid-afternoon, around 3pm UK time, they are usually up.

I've got my Vita at work and I'm checking every 10 minutes. It's starting to interfere with my work... or is it my work is interfering with my gaming?

cheers. It's deffo work interfering with gaming!

Although the game might be a bit easier (or more gracious with its items), I really think I'm playing much better with a decent controller. Having a great time so far.

Kssio_Aug

To me it's the most addictive aspect of this game. You never know when you might stumble across a really powerful ability that will potentially make later tries much easier.

Just one thing that Im questioning myself.

When you say "make later tries much easier" you mean that there are abilities that carry over after you die? If so, how do I know that I got one of them?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just one thing that Im questioning myself.

When you say "make later tries much easier" you mean that there are abilities that carry over after you die? If so, how do I know that I got one of them?

There are no abilities that carry over after death. However, you might discover an item that suits your playstyle, or makes things a little easier, or you might find a combination of things that you'll want to use again if they come up. The main thing you get from your early playthroughs that'll help with later ones is improving skill at dodging enemy attacks, and unlocking new, more powerful items that will start appearing in later runs.

K.Sabot

This is such a good game. Holy shit. Can I count a remake + update as a legitimate 2014 personal GOTY candidate? Eh just semantics, this game is a step above most games I've played.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Wow beat mom finally. Seen a fair amount of the game but never played before. Got the Lord of the pit, #1, charming tears, parasite, some item that gives tears bigger than my head that get smaller farther away. Got lucky and went into am arcade on last floor with 53 cents...find 3 cents to unlock Cain.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This is such a good game. Holy shit. Can I count a remake + update as a legitimate 2014 personal GOTY candidate? Eh just semantics, this game is a step above most games I've played.

It's definitely contender for GOTY for me already. I'm sure by the time it comes to voting this will have cemented itself right up there at the top.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat Mom's heart. If you're not used to bullet hell shooters you're in for a ride. It is easier...I think some of the difficulty of the original was artificially inflated with the lower framerate and less responsive controls.

Kuroyume

Banned
Too addictive.

Graphial style is nice although often it's difficult to see what's going on in some rooms because it's so damn dark.

Music while good is somewhat disappointing compared to the stuff in the first game/expansion.

Did everyone get a booster card pack for the first game yesterday or was that some really strange coincidence?

Just beat Mom's heart. If you're not used to bullet hell shooters you're in for a ride. It is easier...I think some of the difficulty of the original was artificially inflated with the lower framerate and less responsive controls.

Being able to accurately predict where bullets will be at any given time is more of a game-changer than I thought possible. beat mom on the first run after launching the game.

I had 4 crashes last night on the ps4 version; thank god for the auto-save system.

also I miss the original voice sample for the "I found pills" ... pill. super minor, but even after 200 hours or whatever, it never stopped making me smile.

CassSept

Since I started targeting unlocking Azazel I can't spawn Devil Rooms. Damn.

I'm getting hooked, this game will devour so many hours, I can already see it. So much content. I'm dreading the new bonus level, my first foray into Sheol was a disaster.

Kssio_Aug

There are no abilities that carry over after death. However, you might discover an item that suits your playstyle, or makes things a little easier, or you might find a combination of things that you'll want to use again if they come up. The main thing you get from your early playthroughs that'll help with later ones is improving skill at dodging enemy attacks, and unlocking new, more powerful items that will start appearing in later runs.

Ok I see. And I unlock those powerfull items just by advancing in the game?

gai_shain

Ok I love the game so far but there was something that felt abit off for me after having put hundreds of hours into the original.

The big rooms for me that just destroy the pacing of the gameplay for me I dont know why thats the case but I really dont like them

So I just went into a room requiring two keys
that had six circles and a couple of items, and after walking through one of the circles my character just transformed completely into another character with entirely different items.

Is that something from the original? Can't seem to remember that happening ever. Not happy I lost my daddy long legs power-up though.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Ok I see. And I unlock those powerfull items just by advancing in the game?

There's a lot of ways to unlock stuff, mostly it'll be from beating the game or defeating certain bosses, but you can also get them from meeting various other criteria, like collecting particular sets of items, destroying a certain number of rocks/poops, using cards/arcades/blood donation machines a certain number of times, etc. As you play through the game you'll generally be making progress towards unlocking more and more items. Plus the character unlocks are tied to getting certain tasks like having 4 soul hearts at once or making 3 deals with the devil in a single run, and getting a great item combination can help achieving those a lot easier.

that had six circles and a couple of items, and after walking through one of the circles my character just transformed completely into another character with entirely different items.

Is that something from the original? Can't seem to remember that happening ever. Not happy I lost my daddy long legs power-up though.

That's a new room - a
Dice Roll
room. The
square with the circles
was
the face of a die
. You walk over it and
all the items you've collected are randomised

Stoze

Did everyone get a booster card pack for the first game yesterday or was that some really strange coincidence?

You mean in the shop? Yeah I saw it twice in there, but I don't it was in my first run. I think it's just because a lot of the item pool for the shop hasn't been unlocked yet. Maybe it's more common as well, I donno.

Also the notched axe is actually decent in this game, you can destroy all stone/poop in the room instead of one block. Came in handy multiple times for me.

red731

game is glorious with my DS4 in hand.

really fun game, but can get hard as F all of a sudden and ruin a good run

Oh tell me about it
KuGsj.gif

Great strong setup - heavenly tear strenght, so many lives...until one room before mom.

Get totaly REKT and came to mom with one and half heart. Well. Let's go again, of course :)

Kinsei

Banned
I had a pretty awesome run before work. I even managed to unlocked Eve and Samson! I can't wait until the day is over to try them out.

FtHTiny

The little devil that gives you soul hearts for normal hearts seems a bit too strong. Just had a run with basically infinite life.
Also stomping is very strong as well. So many items out of all that stone.

Kssio_Aug

There's a lot of ways to unlock stuff, mostly it'll be from beating the game or defeating certain bosses, but you can also get them from meeting various other criteria, like collecting particular sets of items, destroying a certain number of rocks/poops, using cards/arcades/blood donation machines a certain number of times, etc. As you play through the game you'll generally be making progress towards unlocking more and more items. Plus the character unlocks are tied to getting certain tasks like having 4 soul hearts at once or making 3 deals with the devil in a single run, and getting a great item combination can help achieving those a lot easier.

that, and meeting certain requirements, beating certain challenges, using different characters, etc

Oook! Thanks a lot!

CassSept

Ok I love the game so far but there was something that felt abit off for me after having put hundreds of hours into the original.

The big rooms for me that just destroy the pacing of the gameplay for me I dont know why thats the case but I really dont like them

You get used to it pretty quickly, I felt pretty discontent with them at first but they don't bother me any more after few hours. Loving the game so much thus far and there's still sooo much.

Rlan

Been pretty good so far. At the moment I've found some of the large, 2x2 rooms to be not that fun. One of them just had the random moving worms in it, making it such a pain in the ass to get the last one.

I enjoy that it's being much nicer with the abilities early on, though I find too many rooms that have cool stuff in places your player just cannot get to. I assume you need a flight-based power to get to them. Was annoying in the first game too.

I like the new retro style, but I feel they went a bit far in the menus. Pixels writing does not really work when made on an angle, just makes things super hard to read.

Lastly, I think there could be a lot more feedback in the results screen of the game. Rogue Legacy has a really nice way of putting everything you've done on the screen, Binding of Isaac's is just kind of there.

nope, that's new, and I completely wrecked a great build by using it without knowing what it was.

... still beat the heart with the worse build.

d00d3n

I want to be home playing this game instead of being at work :(

The only Isaac related thing I can do here is gift the game to people, but it is not enough

Slixshot

Banned
My best friend was obsessed with this game a couple years back but I jut couldn't get into it. I was hoping maybe Id enjoy it a bit more this time around but the game's chosen art direction just is not for me. :( shame because the concept of randomly generated zelda sounds perfect to me...

That's a new room - a
Dice Roll
room. The
square with the circles
was
the face of a die
. You walk over it and
all the items you've collected are randomised

nope, that's new, and I completely wrecked a great build by using it without knowing what it was.

Thanks, definitely good to know going forward! It's so cool seeing what the new items and additions are. Love having that sense of discovery and surprise again.

The cross-save and the ability to continue the game are fantastic additions also. So nice to be able to start a run on the PS4 and then continue in the same spot on Vita.

Joonytoon

Donating certain amounts will upgrade the store, possibly give you other stuff too. The amount you donate carries through to subsequent runs too, so you can keep building it up.

About using a certain consumable on the donation machine:
Bombs will allow you to acquire coins from the machine.

d00d3n

I ended up in EXACTLY the same situation yesterday. Was crushed by the heart earlier in the evening, but had serious luck a couple of games down the line and was unstoppable on the heart level. Had maxed out soul hearts, automatic conversion of hearts to soul hearts, zero normal hearts, the babylon power that gives increased damage with low hearts, playing as azazel with fully upgraded damage and several firing speed upgrades.

I got my godly gear replaced with some seriously gimped shit on the heart level by stepping on that randomizer. I still beat the heart with a couple of soul hearts left, but it left a sour taste to be gimped right before my expected triumphant win ...

So, are there already some basically godlike seeds out there?
I'd really like to see some that make the game piss easy and hard as all fuck.

I wish I had written down some of my seeds now, but even having this option is still new to me with BoI.

Top Bottom