• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Azazel and Anti-Gravity Tears

You can lay down floating mines that explode into Brimstone shots once fully charged. With some firing rate increases, you can lay down 8-9 mines at once and just destroy everything. Jesus.

Stoze

didn't buy it yet. 15 bucks is kinda pricey a mega version of something I already own, how 'new' does it feel?

Honestly it feels like new enough to be a sequel, calling it merely a remake is doing the game a disservice. If you like BoI a lot you should get it, no question about it.

Has anybody tried the local co-op yet? I'm busy so I can't play the game, but that was one of the main additions that made me buy the game.

I'm actually kinda worried that co-op will make this game even easier than people already are saying it is.

ominator

Neo Member
Has anybody tried the local co-op yet? I'm busy so I can't play the game, but that was one of the main additions that made me buy the game.

I'm actually kinda worried that co-op will make this game even easier than people already are saying it is.

Played coop yesterday with a friend. He can press start while you are plaing and spawns as a flying buddy. He gets 1 Heart from you. I would say it was actually a bit harder, because he didn't play it often. Also he can't control the camera in big rooms. But it is really fun.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If you don't know what something does in the shop, just buy it anyway and hope for the best haha. Typically all shop items are helpful. Every pill is marked with ??? until you use it once and identify it. There's one item in the game called PHD that identifies them for you, but other than that you have to just take the gamble and use the pill and hope you get something good. Sometimes it can completely fuck you over, and sometimes it can save your ass.

I take it this resets each game, too?

I wish they at least provided item descriptions in that little gallery section or whatever.

That's the charm of the game! For a lot of the new items which weren't in the original, nobody has any idea what they do. And sometimes runs just go bad and you die on the first floor even if you're a good player.

If you don't know what something does in the shop, just buy it anyway and hope for the best haha.

I don't think it's very charming at all. This was my huge issue with the first game. I shouldn't need a Wiki next to me that tells me what everything does.

I take it this resets each game, too?

I wish they at least provided item descriptions in that little gallery section or whatever.

Well, the wiki will eventually be updated with item info. That's what I used to understand the uses of most of the items in the first game.

Shinjica

Played coop yesterday with a friend. He can press start while you are plaing and spawns as a flying buddy. He gets 1 Heart from you. I would say it was actually a bit harder, because he didn't play it often. Also he can't control the camera in big rooms. But it is really fun.

This make me sad. Why they didnt have implemented a co-op online is beyond logic.

Novocaine

Well it seems like you can't do the trick with
the dead cat and committing suicide after you kill a boss to reset it and farm items any more
:(

Ferrio

Banned
Man I thought the Unicorn Stump was a POS. Well when you pair it with the knife your're unstoppable. Especially if it's a triple shot knife.

Ketch

Just to clarify, after you get an item is there anywhere in game that tells you what it does? I only ask because I've gotten a few items that don't seem to do anything... or at least I didn't notice them doing anything.

After watching a few videos (Cant play because no EU PS+ update needs longer) im already sick of the soundtrack.

I want the old one back. I would even pay € to get a old-soundtrack-dlc.

Grief.exe

Just to clarify, after you get an item is there anywhere in game that tells you what it does? I only ask because I've gotten a few items that don't seem to do anything... or at least I didn't notice them doing anything.

Community will inevitably piece together the inner working of the items eventually, but for now there is nothing to go on.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Died quickly the first three times on Normal.
Beat it no problem on Hard.

Weird. Got a good combo I guess.
Weird game, never played the original.

Sendou

Anyone figure how to rebind controller? I'm using Wii U Pro Controller and the button diamond is unusable for shooting since the layout is different from 360 controller.

EDIT: Lol I'm stupid.

CassSept

Are there any major differences between Isaac and
Lazarus
, beside
bonus life
? I guess I just had a lucky run but I liked playing as him.

Anustart

Phew. Just killed
Isaac
with Lazarus. I was down to half a heart, step on a 6 on the floor, get full life and some familiars and tech1 maybe? I kill him and get hit and die at that moment as well, luckily I raised with 1 heart after that.

Croc

Banned
I absolutely obliterated my first time playing as
Azazel
. I got mega lucky and by the end had 5 red hearts plus all 3 of my original black ones. I also had the minion that has the attack just like
Azazel
but full room span. I was taking down bosses in two hits. I even stumbled upon the
Boss Rush
room and managed to beat it despite having no idea what was happening. I also ended up getting the trophy for beating two areas in a row losing no hearts.

insane. so fun.

edit: oh yeah, I also had a golden fly that would attack people as well as an army of spiders. There was some item that gave me like...7 I think?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Really enjoying this. Some of the challenges are hugely OP though, ha. Managed to beat the boss rush room last night with one, although I'd hit a
dice roll
room which really helped me out. Does anyone have any idea what the
cartridge
does? It's a trinket. I've had it twice now to no apparent effect.

Anustart

Really enjoying this. Some of the challenges are hugely OP though, ha. Managed to beat the boss rush room last night with one, although I'd hit a
dice roll
cartridge

I dunno. I got it as well :/ Need to find an nes trinket somewhere lol.

danmaku

Is it sacrilege to look it up?

I see it as an optional challenge. If you look in the wiki for every item the game gets a little easier, but also arguably more strategic, as you don't have to rely on vague information anymore. Sometimes you skip an item not because it's not optimal but just because you don't know exactly what it does and you don't want to risk, but maybe you just failed to understand how it works and it's actually great. Some people like that lack of knowledge and some people hate it. I figured out most items by myself in BoI but I had to look in the wiki for some trinkets because some of their effects are very hard to guess (I thought The Left Hand increased your luck, but I was wrong).

Is there any benefits to going beyond the Womb in the challenge levels? I just did the
solar system
one and I have the option of going into Sheol. Do I just grab the trophy in the Womb?

dice roll
cartridge

Trinket lets you
get 'Pacman' mode sometimes and chase after enemies and eat them to kill them :)

CassSept

Is there any benefits to going beyond the Womb in the challenge levels? I just did the solar system one and I have the option of going into Sheol. Do I just grab the trophy in the Womb?

In original BoI different challenges had different goals (Mom/Heart/Satan/Isaac), once you fulfill it you should get achievement unlock. If you didn't get it maybe you have to kill Satan in that particular challenge?

Trinket lets you
get 'Pacman' mode sometimes and chase after enemies and eat them to kill them :)

Oh wow, is a trigger to that known or is it completely random? I went for a few floors with it and nothing happened.

I've only done two long runs.

Things off the bat:

• The increased FPS is soooooooo much more appreciated than the 30FPS the original was at
  • I'm one of the few that doesn't like the pixely art style. Just not a big fan of pixel art.
  • The game does seem quite a bit easier and you seem to have a much higher chance of getting at least one powerful item before the Mom fight. Haven't tried out the Hard mode though.
  • Doesn't seem to be much incentive to go for a Deal with the Angel run - the deal Deal with the Devil items seem way more powerful (sacred heart excepted) and the black hearts you sometimes get are awesome.

In original BoI different challenges had different goals (Mom/Heart/Satan/Isaac), once you fulfill it you should get achievement unlock. If you didn't get it maybe you have to kill Satan in that particular challenge?
I grabbed the trophy on the womb floor and got the achievement and all. I was just curious what happens if I go deeper, because it did give me the option to.

SamVimes

Azazel can break the game so easily with the right powerups, my first run i was one or two shotting every boss with
Tammy's head of all things
, the second i got
antigravity which i thought was terrible, then i got the hourglass

Shinjica

GAF, have you even find an item and the game didnt let you pick it up?

Sometime i find the battery on the floor but the game dont let me pick it.

It's been my first time playing BoI. Got to Mom on 8th try, Mom's heart on ninth. Died when she had a shred of life left. :p

Two questions: Do pills effects stack and do they only last a limited time?

The_Poet

Banned
GAF, have you even find an item and the game didnt let you pick it up?

Sometime i find the battery on the floor but the game dont let me pick it.

I think the battery is a consumable that recharges your space bar item.

It doesnt let you pick it up if you dont have a space bar item

panick

Neo Member
The new music sucks. That's my only complaint.

Yeah I think this is my only complaint as well. The old music was so creepy and evil, fit perfectly. That, plus the VO in the old intro was so much more fun.

Too bad they don't let you switch between the old and the new music. Rest of the game is great!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
It's been my first time playing BoI. Got to Mom on 8th try, Mom's heart on ninth. Died when she had a shred of life left. :p

Two questions: Do pills effects stack and do they only last a limited time?

They stack

There are a few "single use" pills (e.g.
Explosive Diarrhea, Bad Gas
), some that stack (the Tears, Range, Luck Up/Down pills etc). There's at least one that is limited to the level you're on (
I Can See Forever
) and seems to reset when you move to the next.

SamVimes

There are a few "single use" pills (e.g.
Explosive Diarrhea, Bad Gas
), some that stack (the Tears, Range, Luck Up/Down pills etc). There's at least one that is limited to the level you're on (
I Can See Forever
) and seems to reset when you move to the next.

There's also one that seems to last around 30 seconds
"U r a magician" or something like that

kami_sama

I'm reading in the discussion forums that it doesn't have mouse aiming. WTF?

It was the only method I used on the first one to aim. And I think most of the people did too. Why would they leave it out?

Top Bottom