• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

ced

Made it to Cave 2 (I think) last night, don't really see what the fuss is about with this game.

What changes after you complete a playthrough?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Made it to Cave 2 (I think) last night, don't really see what the fuss is about with this game.

The fun comes from the random nature, as you get better at the game and more aware of what the items do you'll be able to be a bit more tactical with it, plus additional challenges open up as you progress and beat the game. Obviously if you're not feeling it whatsoever then more variety and tougher levels aren't going to help though.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The game is fundamentally about repeated plays. Any given 5 minute stretch of play may not be entirely remarkable, but the way the random elements combine differently each time creates an addictive sense of discovery.

Also the more you play the more items you unlock. There are hundreds of them and it takes a lot of plays to collect them all.

The game therefore continues to get more interesting as you spend time with it.

ScOULaris

Was there an update pushed out overnight last night that made the larger, zoomed-in map visible at all times? When I was playing yesterday, I had a mini-map in the top right corner and could bring up the full map and move it around with the touchpad.

As of this morning, the larger, transparent map is ever-present. I can move it around as before, but the mini-map seems to be completely gone. I wouldn't have a problem with this (since the mini-map sucked), but the sheer size of some of the maps leads to visibility issues in the later levels.

This is on PS4, by the way. Just trying to figure out if this is a glitch or the result of a patch.

BurningNad

This game would be perfect if two options were added in.

1: option for original soundtrack

2: option to disable big rooms

Do that and I will have 0 complaints.

Afrodium

Banned

The first time you beat the "final" boss you
unlock the first of four more post-mom level types, four new bosses get added to the mix, and new items get added. There's more unlocks as you progress further and further into the game.

Just doing other things throughout the run, such as beating all of the bosses of a certain level type, using a blood bank so many times, or really any activity in the game. Most of these unlocks get added to the item pool, giving you way more versatility in what a run can entail. If you've only made it to Caves 2 then you've seen none of what this game has to offer.

Puru

How is this game on the Vita?

Ok so because my PC can't run the game i ruined my sleep on the Vita version and this is what i think.

First, it looks great, i honestly think it looks better on the vita than on my monitor because it's less pixelated. The control shemes are good thought i'm not a fan of pressing the bottom right corner of the screen for pills/cards. The joystick is also kinda annoying for shooting as sometimes it doesn't goes where i intended to but nothing major (and i was tired).
I also like how the horrible uterus filter is simply gone in that version, honestly annoyed me on PC.

It's not all white, there is framerate drops, and i can assure you there's some massive one.
If it's ok in most case with really minor here and there (big rooms generally, nothing major honestly) but it's pretty obvious than the trail of blood/web/pee/etc need to be towned down somehow.
For example take the evolved spider boss fight, when she release spider goo the framerate just suffer massively for a while, another boss i won't spoil does the same with one attack (perfectly fluid until the goo appears), another example would be a new item that produce goo constantly which will hurt the whole run. They really should try to fix that, if it's doable.

Overall i'm pleased but i'd like to see them workng on the trails issue.

SamVimes

So, are there already some basically godlike seeds out there?
I'd really like to see some that make the game piss easy and hard as all fuck.

I wish I had written down some of my seeds now, but even having this option is still new to me with BoI.
Here's my most recent game
Code:
LJ1A
FPE6

I completely tore through every enemy after a couple of floors.
Completely destroyed the boss rush, if you get few keys prioritize treasure rooms because shops were garbate tbh

CassSept

Azazel...

QHQ2eND.gif

Boss Rush...

hDB3ouL.gif

More. I need more. 4 Mom's Heart kills, 2 Isaac kills. So far so good. The game is incredible.

Edit: Basically my face throughout the entire playthrough:

RihM6BP.png

First seed I'm going to try out is going to be JOHN
CENA

... I better be invincible or have the game completely destroy me no matter what I do.

Larsa

Azazel seems to be kinda broken, or at least my few runs with him. My most recent run with Tammy's head,
Brimstone baby(?), don't remember the name
and hella friendly spiders ended with me killing every boss the moment I stepped in the door.
Was pretty fun in that crazy room that spawns like 10-20 bosses

This game is so fucking fun.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lil' Brimstone is an excellent complement to Chocolate Milk. And Sad Bombs are amazingly good.

Ozium

One way I think it's easier is that the smaller enemies like flies or those little ghost children are a bit bigger than they are in the original.. makes them really easy to kill.

dralla

I played this for the first time last night and have no idea what's going on, no explanations for anything. Is this correct, items in the top left you use with L2, items in the bottom right you use with R1, and items in the bottom left are passive? The items in the bottom right, are those temporary boosts or permanent? Whenever I would get something down there I'd use it right away.

Was there an update pushed out overnight last night that made the larger, zoomed-in map visible at all times? When I was playing yesterday, I had a mini-map in the top right corner and could bring up the full map and move it around with the touchpad.

As of this morning, the larger, transparent map is ever-present. I can move it around as before, but the mini-map seems to be completely gone. I wouldn't have a problem with this (since the mini-map sucked), but the sheer size of some of the maps leads to visibility issues in the later levels.

This is on PS4, by the way. Just trying to figure out if this is a glitch or the result of a patch.
If you press the "map" key once, you switch between small minimap and bigger minimap; like toggle on or off; if you hold it you'll have the extra info. You might have pressed the button once on accident (at least this is how it works on pc).

d1rtn4p

I played this for the first time last night and have no idea what's going on, no explanations for anything. Is this correct, items in the top left you use with L2, items in the bottom right you use with R1, and items in the bottom left are passive? The items in the bottom right, are those temporary boosts or permanent? Whenever I would get something down there I'd use it right away.

Ha, I'm in the same boat... Not sure about everything yet. I'd also like to ask: when it says "so and so has appeared in the dungeon", does that mean it's actually there or just possible in future runs?

One thing I did learn
Adding 20 coins to the donation box seems to upgrade the store.
I'm assuming this leads to better items available?

I'm in a dilemma. I loved the original game but can't decide whether I want to pick this up now in PC or wait until I get a PS4. Hmm.

dralla

Ha, I'm in the same boat... Not sure about everything yet. I'd also like to ask: when it says "so and so has appeared in the dungeon", does that mean it's actually there or just possible in future runs?

One thing I did learn

Yea, sometimes I think I got "A Blue map now appears in the basement!" and a few others like that. No idea what they do. I wish there was an item description in the game, unless I'm missing it.

Yea, sometimes I think I got "A Blue map now appears in the basement!" and a few others like that. No idea what they do. I wish there was an item description in the game, unless I'm missing it.

The item descriptions are when you actually get the items

WITHE1982

Looks like the EU PSN store is slowly starting to update (on Vita). You can download The Hungry Horde, Luftrausers and Escape Plan for free. Just waiting on TBOIR now.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

One thing I did learn

When you get a message saying "(Whatever) has appeared in the dungeon" it means that you've done something which has unlocked that item and made it possible for it to randomly appear when you get an item from then onwards, not that it's actually appeared somewhere in your current run for you to collect at that moment.

CassSept

Huh, was Lucky Foot changed?

I just got Health Down pill as Cain :/

PS. I completely forgot Tech 2 stacks with homing shots now. It's sweet.

Ozium

what does right trigger (PC) do? I swear it was in the options menu but I can't remember what it said...

LB is bomb, LT is spacebar item, RB is pills/cards

RT is ???

d1rtn4p

When you get a message saying "(Whatever) has appeared in the dungeon" it means that you've done something which has unlocked that item and made it possible for it to randomly appear when you get an item from then onwards, not that it's actually appeared somewhere in your current run for you to collect at that moment.

Great, thanks!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Great, thanks!

Don't mention it. I got caught out by that when I first started playing the original.
Huh, was Lucky Foot changed?

I just got Health Down pill as Cain :/

PS. I completely forgot Tech 2 stacks with homing shots now. It's sweet.

The luck stat actually does something in Rebirth now, so Edmund took out the only-good-pills part of the Luck Foot as it would make Cain too OP. It's a shame though, Cain was basically easy mode in the original because of it.

OK, so, here's the deal, EU PSN Store. You update with The Binding of Isaac Vita RIGHT THE FUCK NOW, and I don't come round your house and smash all your cups.

demidar

Yeah the second final boss
Mom's Heart
is actually difficult now. I like the change (except when I faced it the first time and I picked up the 9x lives item so I died in 1 shot).

Croyles

OK, so, here's the deal, EU PSN Store. You update with The Binding of Isaac Vita RIGHT THE FUCK NOW, and I don't come round your house and smash all your cups.

Ditto for UK store. I don't know why I'm sitting here twiddling my thumbs to be honest. There are so many things i could/should be doing, but oh well.

There appears to be a secret dealing with...
obtaining all the fly-related items because last night I unlocked "Become Lord of the Flies" which is secret 178/178.
Not sure how rare it is.

Well I finally beat mom twice last night. I think this game is turning me off of the idea of randomizing levels or just procedural generated design in.

I basically got screwed on power ups and items the first 4-5 times I played and then I got the laser eye on the first level and that was it. I just mowed down that run with ease.

It's starting to take the fun out of a game when you are just waiting for the game to randomly give you a favorable run.

Still a really fun game. By the end of my run, Isaac looked like such a freak my roommate came home and could not figure out what the hell I was playing lol

wetflame

Pizza Dog
There appears to be a secret dealing with...
obtaining all the fly-related items because last night I unlocked "Become Lord of the Flies" which is secret 178/178.
Not sure how rare it is.

I got that too, didn't realise it was the last of the secrets. Must be a new one. Laughed when it popped up as I wasn't expecting it.

He isn't? Still seemed pretty weaksauce to me. Who would you say is the new pushover?

he generates way more flies now, and since he's an early-game boss, you'll probably spend half your time not getting killed by the flies while trying to get a hit in.

current easiest is maybe Monstro 1 now? Larry Jr? Haven't come across Pin yet, but I'm sure he's a contender if he can still hurt himself.

Well I finally beat mom twice last night. I think this game is turning me off of the idea of randomizing levels or just procedural generated design in.

I basically got screwed on power ups and items the first 4-5 times I played and then I got the laser eye on the first level and that was it. I just mowed down that run with ease.

It's starting to take the fun out of a game when you are just waiting for the game to randomly give you a favorable run.

Still a really fun game. By the end of my run, Isaac looked like such a freak my roommate came home and could not figure out what the hell I was playing lol

I beat Mom for the first time on Rebirth last night (the first end boss). I got a really shoddy run and had to face a boss with only a single heart left in one of the mid-to-late levels. I triumphed and then proceeded to obtain some god-tier luck and items and I faced Mom with so many advantages I was basically invincible. I think she only hit me once.

Never give up on a run.

Top Bottom