• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

So I beat Mom on my 3rd try. Found the game to be quite easy. And it didn't take long for me to roll the credits. Like an hour I think.

Am I missing something here??? What's the appeal of doing it over again?? Can someone please help me?? Lol

Lol. Oh my god, you've got no idea. They advertise the game has 500+ hours of content for a reason. Hopefully no one here will spoil too much for you. I'd recommend beating mom again as a start. ;)

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
According to PS Plus UK, the game's coming, although they won't say WHEN. They just said to keep checking the store. So I'm guessing something went wrong and they are on red alert atm.

Kyonashi

According to PS Plus UK, the game's coming, although they won't say WHEN. They just said to keep checking the store. So I'm guessing something went wrong and they are on red alert atm.

I just don't understand how this shit can happen when they already did the exact process yesterday for the U.S...?

Xeroblade

Just played this last night and its great just like the first 1, but damn does it leave you missing the old soundtrack. This new one cant even amount to how great the first one is.

Velikost

Was only able to play one run before I had to go to bed last night, but I was able to complete it with relative ease. I got a hood from a Devil deal that gave me 3 dark hearts; had no idea what was going on with all the new features but it was exciting. Really can't wait to get home and play more.

Not being able to Wiki all the new items yet makes for some scary fun.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I am by all outside appearances an adult human with an adult human career.

And I desperately want to leave work sick to go play a video game.

THERE ARE NEW ITEMS THAT I CAN BE EXPLORING, DAMMIT.

CassSept

Lol can u explain? Or is that spoiler territory?

Well, spoiler territory, but basically killing mom is not even scratching the surface, the game gets significantly, SIGNIFICANTLY harder as you play it. As you unlock later stages there are some that are borderline insane, and by the look of Rebirth so far it's going to be even worse here.

Edit: Oh crap, first room with Azazel and I get X-ray vision, this run is going to be fuuun

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
I just don't understand how this shit can happen when they already did the exact process yesterday for the U.S...?

Because I am guessing the two act as different branches when putting games online for diff stores.

I'm not trying to be a douche, just get a bit annoyed when people rage online about stuff like this. I work in games and people are super demanding for your products. They've said now that it will be out today for PS4/VITA - my VITA just whacked on the other games on PS Plus, so wait an hour or two and it should be there.

SerTapTap

I am by all outside appearances an adult human with an adult human career.

And I desperately want to leave work sick to go play a video game.

THERE ARE NEW ITEMS THAT I CAN BE EXPLORING, DAMMIT.

Vacay days. I took two extra days for Borderlands 2's release, so did a few friends.

Finalow

HELLO.

cross-save ps4-psvita, yes? I mean, if I play one ps4 then switch to psvita I can use the same game-file? And more importantly, same trophy list? I want to try to 100% this one since I barely finished the 'original' game; I arrived a couple of times at Mom's heart but I think that I never killed it.

Kyonashi

Because I am guessing the two act as different branches when putting games online for diff stores.

I'm not trying to be a douche, just get a bit annoyed when people rage online about stuff like this. I work in games and people are super demanding for your products. They've said now that it will be out today for PS4/VITA - my VITA just whacked on the other games on PS Plus, so wait an hour or two and it should be there.

oh, I'm not mad and I can definitely wait. it was more of an honest question about not understanding how this happens.

I've been waiting patiently for Driveclub and that doesn't really bother me, so I can wait a couple hours for Isaac no problem.

kgb_abc

Neo Member
I know this may be a dumb question but.... Can someone give me a brief explanation of this game? I downloaded for free and played for about an hour and I have no idea what I'm doing?!?!?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sweet mother mercy does this run smooth. Other than the weird "Hey let's disable your keyboard" shit that was remedied by tweaking a setting in the ini, it's been really good.

Dunno what's up with that filter in the
Womb
though, makes my rock solid 60 dip to 50

I know this may be a dumb question but.... Can someone give me a brief explanation of this game? I downloaded for free and played for about an hour and I have no idea what I'm doing?!?!?

Basically, it's a roguelike. Your goal is to make it as deep as you can on each run.
The game is tiered in a way so you unlock new content every time you clear the game, items and floors are all random so if one run goes horribly, just keep going. It's all about learning what item does what and learn how to use them to your advantage. Keep in mind that pill effects are always randomized, so while you might get great effects like more health, speed or tears, they can also give you penalties.

In short, not knowing what you're doing is essentially expected, you learn more and find more secrets. If there are any specific questions you have I'm sure people will have tons of tips, so don't feel afraid to ask.

Edit: Euro PSN, feel free to enjoy the game sometime 2016 ;)

Bayonettasbuddy

Neo Member
oh, I'm not mad and I can definitely wait. it was more of an honest question about not understanding how this happens.

I've been waiting patiently for Driveclub and that doesn't really bother me, so I can wait a couple hours for Isaac no problem.

Sorry mate, just venting - so many morons online throwing their toys out of their pram.

RS4-

What luck, got 99 bombs and the item that gives you money every time you blow up rocks.

Too bad this is in the darkness challenge :|

HELLO.

cross-save ps4-psvita, yes? I mean, if I play one ps4 then switch to psvita I can use the same game-file? And more importantly, same trophy list? I want to try to 100% this one since I barely finished the 'original' game; I arrived a couple of times at Mom's heart but I think that I never killed it.

I can see certain sensitive people getting upset at the end of your comment.

Finalow

the fuck is this, the game isn't on ps+ yet? Europe here.

and the Vita store is with the ps+ november games but I can't find binding of isaac.

?? sony pls

This game is so confusing. First run I got some red laser beam and happily destroyed stuff, but died anyway sadly. Second run I got some extra dude shooting with me, and some effect where I would get a ton of armour points instead of health. It eventually ran out though and I don't know why.

Also, how can you get things like chests and cards that are surrounded by holes in the floor? Is that just a nasty tease or can you jump?

KoyukiNL

Neo Member
Wtf. Just got home and it's still not out yet in EU for Vita? Seems they updated the store but the game is missing. So we're going to have to wait? Was looking forward to playing a couple of sessions this evening :(

Finalow

I can see certain sensitive people getting upset at the end of your comment.
dude that boss was hard, or I wasn't good enough. also I "only" played the game for 30 hours or so.

Wtf. Just got home and it's still not out yet in EU for Vita? Seems they updated the store but the game is missing. So we're going to have to wait? Was looking forward to playing a couple of sessions this evening :(
yeah, wtf. PS4 ps+ isn't even updated.

Nesther

Yeah, I just keep refreshing the webstore every now and then. Doubt we'll get it today, even though they said so. Hopefully we'll get to play it by tomorrow night.

CassSept

This game is so confusing. First run I got some red laser beam and happily destroyed stuff, but died anyway sadly. Second run I got some extra dude shooting with me, and some effect where I would get a ton of armour points instead of health. It eventually ran out though and I don't know why.

Also, how can you get things like chests and cards that are surrounded by holes in the floor? Is that just a nasty tease or can you jump?

Just keep on playing, I found it confusing at first and it took me a while to accommodate but once you get it it's not that complicated. Basically remember that nearly everything is randomized and carry on.

dude that boss was hard, or I wasn't good enough. also I "only" played the game for 30 hours or so..

The point is, Mom's Heart is far from being the game's final boss :]

There's abilities you can get that will let you jump.

Celegus

Loving it so much on Vita. I do kind of wish the collection screen would tell you what the items do. Most of them are easy enough to figure out, but many of the trinkets especially are extremely difficult to decipher.

I forget what item it was, but one of the pop-up messages was "Touch fuzzy get dizzy" and that just made my day.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

You can jump or fly by getting certain items. Also if there's a rock next to the gap, place a bomb directly behind so that the rock is in between the gap and the bomb. The bomb will knock over the rock and create a bridge for you to walk over

SerTapTap

The detail in this game is amazing. A ton of enemies are more detailed now that they're pixel art instead of vectors, that's nuts. Tons more room and gib detail too. And the yummy animations--the blood laser in particular looks and sounds so much better.

Loving it so much on Vita. I do kind of wish the collection screen would tell you what the items do. Most of them are easy enough to figure out, but many of the trinkets especially are extremely difficult to decipher.

I forget what item it was, but one of the pop-up messages was "Touch fuzzy get dizzy" and that just made my day.

I noticed that too, forget what item it was. Love the little references

1. No one should expect every run to be successful
2. This is a rogue-like. RNG is what it is.
3. Skill absolutely matters. Bad runs can be successful ones if you can out-skill the bad luck.
4. However, there are some absolutely no-win situations. For example, my wife got 2 speed downs and couldn't outrun one of the bosses. It was an impossible fight, but that is just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

Again I understand all of that. I just think that I may not enjoy that kind of gameplay as much as I used to.

Afrodium

Banned
So what's with those metallic blocks? Do I just need to have flight to get an item in the middle of them or is there some secret? They don't seem to be pushable.

That item is bad in general.

Dead cat helped me beat Mom last night. You can pretty much make all deals with the devil that the game presents you at the cost of losing one of your lives. I still had about 4 lives left when facing Mom and had a build good enough to take her down without losing one heart of damage.

jimboton

Just played this last night and its great just like the first 1, but damn does it leave you missing the old soundtrack. This new one cant even amount to how great the first one is.

What they changed it? As in none of the old songs are in the remake? But why??

So this morning I was having a pretty good run, then ended up in a room full of things that looked like flying white hockey masks. I couldn't hurt them with tears or bombs, so just ended up dying after running around the room forever. I tried looking the enemies up on the wiki, but couldn't find a match. Anybody have a strategy for these things?

Kinsei

Banned
So this morning I was having a pretty good run, then ended up in a room full of things that looked like flying white hockey masks. I couldn't hurt them with tears or bombs, so just ended up dying after running around the room forever. I tried looking the enemies up on the wiki, but couldn't find a match. Anybody have a strategy for these things?

I think I know what enemies you're talking about. You need to kill the hearts to destroy the masks.

I believe you're talking about the new enemies that are tied to the other enemies in the room - they're invulnerable, but if you kill everything else in the room the flying masks will die.

Alternately they're those old ones that die when you kill their vulnerable hearts that are separate. Either way, kill the other stuff in the room and you should be all right.

Are you talking about the Masks? Unless this is a new Rebirth enemy then there should be a heart that controls them. That's what you should be targeting.

Edit: I guess this is a new enemy. Haven't run into them yet.

Afrodium

Banned

Kill everything else in the room and they'll self-destruct

Ophelion

Maybe I've just had a few bad runs, but I feel like this game is less balanced than it was when I played it on PC years ago. I keep getting items that just boost my heath or items that don't seem to do anything at all. In the older PC version I played, I felt like everything I got was great and useful (if really gross.) Maybe my RNG just keeps rolling 1's or something.

Ferrio

Banned
Maybe I've just had a few bad runs, but I feel like this game is less balanced than it was when I played it on PC years ago. I keep getting items that just boost my heath or items that don't seem to do anything at all. In the older PC version I played, I felt like everything I got was great and useful (if really gross.) Maybe my RNG just keeps rolling 1's or something.

There were a lot more crap items in the original.

This game is really clicking for me this time around... already put a bunch of runs in on both PC and Vita.

Question tho -- what's up with the grey iron doors that are always barred? I haven't figured out how to open them yet...

Also, any tips for someone just getting into the game? I'm not bad at it, but I'm wondering if there are a few things I just don't understand yet (like the iron blocks that look like zelda blocks that can be pushed, the pots that can't be broken but with bombs, etc.)

Top Bottom