• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

BurningNad

I may be late to the party, but I got a Tammy's Head and a Brimstone... and my god, you can one shot entire rooms, EVERY ROOM. I laughed my way to Mom with plenty of time on the clock for the Boss Rush room, but got way too cocky and died there (aside from that combo, items were mediocre at best). Unfortunately I did not get the seed. I would love to do that run again.

kizV7sf.gif

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I like the new music :(

I think the music might be great if it fit the game better. It's just way too slow paced for this game. Songs themselves aren't bad, but they're a terrible fit while the original game had an amazing soundtrack that fit perfectly.

Finalow

I may be late to the party, but I got a Tammy's Head and a Brimstone... and my god, you can one shot entire rooms, EVERY ROOM. I laughed my way to Mom with plenty of time on the clock for the Boss Rush room, but got way too cocky and died there (aside from that combo, items were mediocre at best). Unfortunately I did not get the seed. I would love to do that run again.

kizV7sf.gif
damn.

does sharing seeds work?

Grief.exe

It's so strange how they didn't target 1080p with the pixel art.

Just like the first game, the art gets upscaled at full screen and doesn't look as good. You would think they would have fixed that issue out of the gate, instead of perpetuating the issue.

autoduelist

how's the vita version holding up?

Runs fantastic, put many hours into it.

This is my first time playing BoI, loving it.

Sadly, I just died on some deep level
a couple levels past mom, it felt like every room had multiple mini-bosses
. I was doing great till I met some new enemy with an attack I still don't understand
it was kind of like little lightning bolts, hard to describe
and I didn't realize I was getting hit till too late.

Sad, because I was inches from clearing the level. I had terrible weapons and items, I'd love to go back with something useful.

I feel dumb how do actually buy stuff after donating a sufficient amount of coins?

To buy an item, you have to have the appropriate amount of coins already. So, if the item costs 15, you have to have 15 in your inventory. The money you put in the donation machine will expand the pool of items available once you hit certain milestones. You can't spend money once it's put into the donation machine, but the amount persists across all runs.

autoduelist

So there's a PhD paper just laying there and it requires 7 coins and I just can't pick it up.

If you donated your 7 coins to a machine to 'buy' it, you're doing it wrong. Just have 7 coins in your inventory and walk over it. The donation machine is a completely separate thing.

Finalow

It's like those hands from zelda, teleport you to start of dungeon if you get hit.
no, to a random room. and takes 3 fucking hearts away. ok you can dodge it easily if you can see the shadow.

edit/ I actually won but I lost something like 2 red hearts and 8 soul hearts in that.

is there like a beginners guide to BOI:Rebirth? it's both a simple game and deep game all at once.there's so much that's unexplained that i feel like i might never really know what the hell im doing. and this is coming from someone who has played, loved, and been ok at spelunky.

UV-6

Thought I'd check this game out after reading good things here. You guys weren't kidding, this is hella fun.

Is there a wiki page I can read what some of these items do?

autoduelist

If anything, it's too deep. I think if I'd played the original first maybe I would have had more time for this, but as it is I just can't get into it. There are hundreds and hundreds of items in the game and it's just impossible to remember what they do in most cases because there's very little logic to them. Toothpicks increase your rate of fire. Right. Okay. There's nothing in my brain that can make that link stick because it's just completely nonsense, so once I've got ten of these completely nonsense associations, they just start disappearing. It means every time I start the game I never have any idea what anything does. It should get to a point where I see an item and I know whether or not I want it.

Instead, every time I see an item I think "what the fuck does that do?" even if I've had it ten times before. Then, as I say, there are hundreds and hundreds of items, so even if I could remember some of them there's no way I can remember them all. The game could really do you a favour and just include a description of stuff you've collected before as a reminder as to its effects, but for some reason the game doesn't really want you to know what anything does. Even when you collect new stuff it's vague about the effects and oftentimes experimentation yields no results at all so you're left with this weird attachment which is doing something but what the fuck it's doing is anyone's guess. You've got to remember that, too.

Every time I play it is like the first time I've ever played it, and without being able to learn and get better, I've got no satisfaction from the game at all. Which really sucks, because I expected to love it. I heard all the Spelunky comparisons and so figured it would be amazing but instead it's just... this. Honestly, if you cut about 90% of the stupid items out of the game and refined and refined it, it would probably be brilliant. Like, if you've got twenty items that increase the player's rate of fire, you've got 19 too many.

I figure if you'd played a cut-down original and had time to get used to all the old stuff, maybe you could play the new one and the new items would stand out more. Maybe that's the key to liking it. As it is, as a new player, it's just way too pointlessly overwhelming and the base gameplay simply isn't fun enough on its own to make want to stick with it.

I feel like I'm letting everyone down by thinking this game sucks, but I can't help it =(

I'm playing this for the first time and not having any issue. I think you're worrying too much about remembering -- don't try, it'll eventually start clicking. In the meantime, just pick up everything. Use every pill, see what things do. Don't stress remembering.

I've played plenty of roguelikes (both actual and action), and there's always tons of stuff to remember (hello nethack)... but it all starts to become natural.

In BoI, I haven't had to remember anything because, worst case, I just get a minor debuff or something. And there's so many items I haven't seen yet, what does it really matter if I forget what something I have seen does?

Nuke Soda

Holy crap this game is addictive. Been a while since turning off my PS4 was hard to do, just one more attempt and then another and another.... :)

Y'know, I thought Magnetic Tears was the most useless, shitty, and self-sabotaging powerup in the whole game, or both.

That was, until I got the one which remote-controls your tear. And the one that gives you giant tears.

Sometimes, the synergies are amazing like that.

no, to a random room.

FUCK THAT SHIT MAN.

run ruined. I got hit by that crap 2 times and now I have 4 hearts instead of 10 or whatever the cap was.

Yeah, that will happen.
You should hear laughing in the room prior to them dropping down. Just don't quit moving.

Trust me, you'll have a lot of runs ruined by something that seems unfair. You'll be on a later level and pick up a seemingly normal item you've never seen before, then suddenly your speed is terrible and you can't outrun normal enemies. Run ruined.

You just get back on the horse, try again, and remember that you'll need to meet certain conditions for the item to be worthwhile.

Finalow

Write down seed, input it into game, it works, simple as that. I assume seeds are cross-platform too
great. I didn't see that the seed is the pause menu, fuck. I had a super good run and killed Mom with it. dark bum since first level, 5-6 devil rooms, 10 lives (still had all of them) etc. no flight though. I would have liked to use that seed again or share it.

anyway it would be cool to share seeds of runs with good items. ;D

I'd have to play around with it but it seems to reduce all damage?
it blocked damage to me, not reduced. sometimes I took the hit, sometimes I didn't. maybe you have a % that blocks the damage.

SerTapTap

great. I didn't see that the seed is the pause menu, fuck. I had a super good run and killed Mom with it. dark bum since first level, 5-6 devil rooms, 10 lives (still had all of them) etc. no flight though. I would have liked to use that seed again or share it.

Yeah if you're getting a good run it can't hurt to just pause the game a sec, press screenshot button then continue on, just in case.

I forget if it shows you the seed upon death or not.

Finalow

Yeah, that will happen.
You should hear laughing in the room prior to them dropping down. Just don't quit moving.

Trust me, you'll have a lot of runs ruined by something that seems unfair. You'll be on a later level and pick up a seemingly normal item you've never seen before, then suddenly your speed is terrible and you can't outrun normal enemies. Run ruined.

You just get back on the horse, try again, and remember that you'll need to meet certain conditions for the item to be worthwhile.
I actually killed Mom with 4 hearts so I edited, lol.

already unlocked Lazarus. I hope that the cross-save is working here.

Thought I'd check this game out after reading good things here. You guys weren't kidding, this is hella fun.

Is there a wiki page I can read what some of these items do?

DON'T DO THIS! The developer strongly recommends not using any online resources or wikis for the items. One of the major mechanics in this game is discovery; getting a new item and figure out what they do or if they are even good is a huge part of the experience.

The first time you see something new, ask yourself "did I do something to make that happen or is it random?" You'll be surprised how often you make things happen and you'll eventually be able to use that knowledge to get better at the game.

Or wiki the items. Whatever is more fun for you. The wikis might not be that accurate since no one can look at the code yet and verify what everything does.

Afrodium

Banned
is there like a beginners guide to BOI:Rebirth? it's both a simple game but there's so much that's unexplained that i feel like i might never really know what the hell im doing. and this is coming from someone who has played, loved, and been ok at spelunky.

Here's some tips that really helped me get started with the original game:

Secret Rooms:
Every floor will have at least one secret room. Look on the map for where they are likely to be. If there's a horseshoe type shape, it's likely that there's a secret room in the middle. If there's five rooms making a square with a hole in the middle, then the hole is probably a secret room. The bigger rooms in Rebirth make them a bit harder to locate, but you can still figure it out. Place a bomb in the middle of a wall that would be adjacent to a secret room to try and find it. These rooms often just have coins, but they can have items too.

Shops:
If you have a key and 15 coins, it might me worth it to go into the shop instead of the item room.

Arcades:
Arcades are more likely to spawn when you have 15(?) coins at the beginning of the floor. You can spend a lot of time bouncing between slot machines and blood banks - get a heart from slot machine, put it in blood bank, get money and put it in the slot machine. One of them will likely blow up and give you a good item if you do this long enough.

Devil Rooms:
Not taking red heart damage on the floor almost guarantees a devil room. If you don't take damage to the boss then you've got a pretty good chance of one spawning too. Notice that I said red heart damage, meaning that if you find yourself with a good amount of dark hearts (black hearts) or spirit hearts (blue hearts) then you should just make a b-line for the boss.

the broken glass doors: worth it or am i just blowing a heart every time for a chance at nothing?

It's really more like a door with spikes at sticking out. They can be worth it because it can have a useful power up or more likely ends up being an enemy. I usually tale that gamble if I have some hearts lying around.

MLCodest

Holy crap that was amazing. Beat
Sheol
with
Blue Baby
with only one spirit heart. That was probably the most tense video game experience of my life.

Danielsan

Maybe I'm missing something, but for whatever reason I can't seem to use the pills on the Vita. I've tried every button. I know it's supposed to be the right should button.

Vodh

is there like a beginners guide to BOI:Rebirth? it's both a simple game and deep game all at once.there's so much that's unexplained that i feel like i might never really know what the hell im doing. and this is coming from someone who has played, loved, and been ok at spelunky.

I'm on the same boat pretty much, I mean there's the old BoI wiki but it doesn't seem to point out things you should know vs things you could do without for the first few hours with the game.

I guess it's appealing to a lot of the players that you have to 'discover' what items do, but to me it always ends up in googling things up (what if it's an awesome item and I waste it or lose it by dying?) I'd love a 'casual' mode that would have a menu explaining what the items I've picked up (or better yet, items I have and items available in the shop) actually do. It's one of the major turn-offs in a lot of roguelikes for me.

On the bright side, I'm enjoying the game and I'm really glad it was on PS+ so who knows, I might stick around long enough to actually learn a thing or two about it.

Top Bottom