• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

dLMN8R

You can also blow up rocks to make a bridge.

If you position a bomb on a side of a rock, it'll blow up to the opposite direction covering up 1 square gaps.

Also tons of items that give you the ability to fly or cross gaps.

OMG

I played a bunch of the original and do remember doing that, but somehow completely forgot about this in the new game.

Thanks!

I came across a visual glitch while playing the Vita version. The brimstone laser was invisible. It fixed itself after I left the room. Not sure if I can replicate it.

Downloaded it this morning and been playing it off and on while at work on my vita.

Game looks great but the soundtrack is terrible. The original is SOOO much better. It doesn't sound like the BOI that I remember playing on Steam.

Here is what I saw when I Proceed to Checkout for the Vita version [showed full price of the previous screen]:
Hopefully will show free for everyone else soon
EpifAMV.jpg

Celegus

Oh, weird. Still, looking forward to unlocking all the chars. I still only have Isaac.

I think the only character I don't have after my first two runs is whatever that Eden thing is. Azazel is super fun. It seemed quite easy to unlock the majority of them.

Downloaded it this morning and been playing it off and on while at work on my vita.

Game looks great but the soundtrack is terrible. The original is SOOO much better. It doesn't sound like the BOI that I remember playing on Steam.

Yep that's the worst part about it. They were going for a more atmospheric tone, but Danny B gets you hyped, which I prefer for such a fast paced game.

kiguel182

The one thing that didn't change with the remake is that I'm still terrible at this game.

Still, did four attempts and had a blast. It's still such a genius game and the improvements are great.

The only thing it's still weird are the bigger rooms but I guess I'll get used to it.

darknil

Sooo, I played the original over 100 hours and i never completed, but I was able to reach the Cathedral and Sheol.

Yesterday I did 4 runs and was able to complete 2 times, I'm feeling soooo much better with controller.

My question is, is Hard mode the original difficulty? Am I playing on easy? :(

SerTapTap

I think the only character I don't have after my first two runs is whatever that Eden thing is. Azazel is super fun. It seemed quite easy to unlock the majority of them.

Yep that's the worst part about it. They were going for a more atmospheric tone, but Danny B gets you hyped, which I prefer for such a fast paced game.
I was one penny away from Cain, keep forgetting to not get heart pickups. I'm not the best at dodging yet for the no damage thing.
Is "two levels" for the unlocks like "basement one, basement two" or is it basement + depths?

Ferrio

Banned
Sooo, I played the original over 100 hours and i never completed, but I was able to reach the Cathedral and Sheol.

Yesterday I did 4 runs and was able to complete 2 times, I'm feeling soooo much better with controller.

My question is, is Hard mode the original difficulty? Am I playing on easy? :(

No, normal is more like the original. Hard mode adds... not sure haven't played it. Reading their past blog posts they were cryptic on what it actually does.

The tear "upgrade"
tiny planet
sucks and ruined my 7 win streak ;-;

Not if you have knife or brim!

Celegus

I was one penny away from Cain, keep forgetting to not get heart pickups. I'm not the best at dodging yet for the no damage thing.
Is "two levels" for the unlocks like "basement one, basement two" or is it basement + depths?

I'm not too sure. I didn't read any of the unlock text, they just kept popping up one after the other when I started playing.

Are you kidding me.
Some item I picked up is causing me to teleport out of a room every time I get hit.
It's not a trinket or anything. I don't know what it is but it ruined this perfectly good run.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
My one complaint is that the game is too dark. I feel like I have to squint at times. Sheol is going to be unplayable

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
On OS X Yosemite in order to get my 360 controller working I had to Google to find out the current TattieBoggle driver is broken and a new unofficial one is available to make it work on OS X again.

But when I launched the game I had to manually configure the controls myself. I initially set it up so the right stick was fire. But now I'm thinking I should switch it to the face buttons (After getting the Chocolate Milk and finding out it's harder to rapid fire manually when using a stick.) and have the other commands be on other controls. But I'm curious, how does everyone else have their controller set up? What are the defaults supposed to be?

I'll have to play around when I get home tonight.

Kinsei

Banned

It's two floors. I unlocked Eve and Samson by beating Basement 1 and Basement 2.

On OS X Yosemite in order to get my 360 controller working I had to Google to find out the current TattieBoggle driver is broken and a new unofficial one is available to make it work on OS X again.

But when I launched the game I had to manually configure the controls myself. I initially set it up so the right stick was fire. But now I'm thinking I should switch it to the face buttons (After getting the Chocolate Milk and finding out it's harder to rapid fire manually when using a stick.) and have the other commands be on other controls. But I'm curious, how does everyone else have their controller set up? What are the defaults supposed to be?

I'll have to play around when I get home tonight.

With the default controls both the face buttons and the stick are set to fire. RB is your tarot cards and pills, LB is bombs, and LT is your item.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've been looking forward to this for a while and it has not disappointed. I unlocked most of the characters after a few runs. Azazel is incredibly overpowered.

Craziest item combo I've gotten yet:
Brimstone + Homing Shots + Tiny Planet + damage upgrades = giant laser that wraps around you in a shield before firing out as a chain lightning laser that destroys everything in the room in a single shot.

It was more powerful than anything I encountered in 150 hours of the original

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
With the default controls both the face buttons and the stick are set to fire. RB is your tarot cards and pills, LB is bombs, and LT is your item.
I'll have to try that out when I get home. My only problem is setting buttons for the "Back in menu" and "forward in menu" commands. Can I set two commands to the same button? So I can have Start be pause and Forward and Back be map and Back?

Edit: Also, does this game use SteamCloud?

Talamius

I can see a few balance patches coming to nerf some things.

My very first game out of the gate I got a devil room on floor 1. 1 heart Guppy's Head, 1 heart Guppy's Tail, and a red chest with the Dead Cat in it. Instant Guppy with 9 lives. GG.

Azazel is wayyyyy too easy mode.

Love the artstyle though. Going to get some local coop going tonight.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Anyone know what the goat head does? I feel like I encountered that item on every single run and never figured out what it did.

I'm also curious about the Contract from Below. ("Wealth but at what price")?

Those are the only two items I've encountered where I don't even have a guess as to what they might be doing.

aravuus

Wow what the heck, I hated Binding of Isaac on PC way back but for some reason I'm really having fun with Rebirth on PS4. Love the item variety, I have a sad looking
scape goat following me around, taking all the damage
(no idea if it's a new item so tagged) which makes me sad and laugh at the same time lol

I don't think there's any significant difference. Just a decrese in item drops. Also, more palette swap enemies.

This is wrong! The only confirmed thing we know about hard mode is that you take a full heart of damage
on the earlier floors instead of just the later ones.
We also know that beating the game with all characters on hard mode is required to unlock everything, and that beating it with hard mode will unlock the normal mode items and the hard mode items at the same time.

It may not seem like a big change, but if you are playing as
Judas
it really changes how you would play the early. This also doesn't include any extra secret awesomeness that people haven't discovered yet.

Ketch

Should I beat it multiple times on normal before switching to hard? I beat it first try on normal, but have only made it about half way on hard

Ferrio

Banned
How do you switch cards when you have the starting deck on pc?

There's a button ( I don't know which) that lets you drop your trinket/cards i believe, it's used to switch.

Should I beat it multiple times on normal before switching to hard? I beat it first try on normal, but have only made it about half way on hard

You didn't come close to beating the game, so keep it on normal unless you're an isaac vet.

Lots more floors open up, new bosses, harder versions of the floors etc the more times you beat it. As well as a ton of item unlocks.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
So what effects is the Vita version missing? I've only noticed the lack of "flash filter" and the "Mode 7" blur effect when you clear a floor so far.

And the soundtrack is terrible, I wish the original was included as an alternative. But the game is as great as ever though.

Wow what the heck, I hated Binding of Isaac on PC way back but for some reason I'm really having fun with Rebirth on PS4. Love the item variety, I have a sad looking
scape goat following me around, taking all the damage
(no idea if it's a new item so tagged) which makes me sad and laugh at the same time lol

I liked it on PC but having to use weird JoyToKey bullshit was terrible.

Top Bottom