• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Holdfing

Maybe I'm missing something, but for whatever reason I can't seem to use the pills on the Vita. I've tried every button. I know it's supposed to be the right should button.

Should only be bound to the touchscreen by default, if I'm not mistaken.

Stoze

I guess it's appealing to a lot of the players that you have to 'discover' what items do, but to me it always ends up in googling things up (what if it's an awesome item and I waste it or lose it by dying?) I'd love a 'casual' mode that would have a menu explaining what the items I've picked up (or better yet, items I have and items available in the shop) actually do. It's one of the major turn-offs in a lot of roguelikes for me.

On the bright side, I'm enjoying the game and I'm really glad it was on PS+ so who knows, I might stick around long enough to actually learn a thing or two about it.

I think you may be too concerned with losing or dying. Even if you lose because of a new item, you win later on because you know to avoid that item. That's how I think of it. Don't worry about wasting things, you'll come around and eventually understand how to conserve stuff. Hell I know a lot of the items but pick up the shitty ones anyways just to have the item filled out the in the item screen. I've also been taking risks and doing dumb stuff just to gain more knowledge about what's new.

I believe at some point Tyrone said he wants to add an encyclopedia in game. We'll see how that pans out though.

Ferrio

Banned
Here's some tips that really helped me get started with the original game:

Secret Rooms:
Every floor will have at least one secret room. Look on the map for where they are likely to be. If there's a horseshoe type shape, it's likely that there's a secret room in the middle. If there's five rooms making a square with a hole in the middle, then the hole is probably a secret room. The bigger rooms in Rebirth make them a bit harder to locate, but you can still figure it out. Place a bomb in the middle of a wall that would be adjacent to a secret room to try and find it. These rooms often just have coins, but they can have items too.

Shops:
If you have a key and 15 coins, it might me worth it to go into the shop instead of the item room.

Arcades:
Arcades are more likely to spawn when you have 15(?) coins at the beginning of the floor. You can spend a lot of time bouncing between slot machines and blood banks - get a heart from slot machine, put it in blood bank, get money and put it in the slot machine. One of them will likely blow up and give you a good item if you do this long enough.

Devil Rooms:
Not taking red heart damage on the floor almost guarantees a devil room. If you don't take damage to the boss then you've got a pretty good chance of one spawning too. Notice that I said red heart damage, meaning that if you find yourself with a good amount of dark hearts (black hearts) or spirit hearts (blue hearts) then you should just make a b-line for the boss.

Moar tips:

1. If you take a devil deal you cannot get any god rooms.
2. Destroying rocks/vases/skulls/mushrooms are a lot lot more beneficial this game. Tons of items spawn from them now.
3. You can bomb closed doors on most floors if you find yourself in a room you want to skip. Can't do this in rooms where the door is barred.
4. Try to check curse rooms if you can. Yes you'll take damage entering/exiting but the potential rewards are really good.
5. Don't be afraid to use bombs on bosses.
6. Learn to angle your shots, you can avoid taking damage from some enemies using your characters momentum to angle a shot.
7. Library rooms will start to spawn if you've picked up a book in your run.

I like the new music :(

They seemed to have removed the shop music. From the little I played it sounds like they just lower the level's volume when you enter a shop? I didn't really like that. The tingy, creepy music of the shop in the original BoI combined with the always-dead shopkeeper was one of the signature macabre moments of the game as a whole, IMO.

So many buddies!
itYUabT.jpg

Finalow

uhm, the range of Lazarus shots doesn't improve? I almost have full range but it's still super short.

any tips for
Mom's heart
with him^? I'm almost there.

BurningNad

I just pissed all over (end boss)
Sheol
with (character)
Azazel
using Tammy's Head. You don't even need Brimstone for the combo with that using this character. You just become a moving AoE of Death.

Sciz

Moar tips:

2. Destroying rocks/vases/skulls/mushrooms are a lot lot more beneficial this game. Tons of items spawn from them now.

As an addendum, and this isn't a new trick, but keep an eye out for rocks with an X on them, and break them open for a guaranteed goodie of some sort.

Grief.exe

My last two runs I got to
Sheol
and
Cathedral
prior to unlocking them due to Deal with the Devil and Angel respectively.

Wish these achievements had more description to them to let you know what you actually did or how to earn them.

Manik

Only spent 17hrs with the original game, so am totally back in for this one.

Trying out the new controller functionality, but it feels much less awkward just to use the keys at the moment. Guess some rewiring of my brain is in order.

Definitely looking forward to trying out the new items - and staying well away from a wiki until I've beaten the game at least a couple of times.

I like it. I've never played it before, even though I owned it on Steam, but playing it on PS4 now, I definitely think it's something that has a lot of short burst gameplay where you play for a while and learn and improve and death just allows you to experience a new way to play/new abilities and items.

David___

Banned
I somehow missed ending 4. Anyway to get that unlocked or do I have to wait till I get all them and get lucky?
Also, anyone figure out how to unlock Judas?

Is there no way to see more info on specific items ect? For example I unlocked the character Eve but I have no idea what her abilities/items do.

Also I got some weird ball items that show up at the bottom right that I have no idea what they do. Also for the same slot was a Joker card that, again, I have no idea what it does.

Leezard

Is there no way to see more info on specific items ect? For example I unlocked the character Eve but I have no idea what her abilities/items do.

Nah, you have to check the wiki if you want a proper answer.

for the items in the bottom right, they are consumables and there should be a button that consumes them. It's Q on pc.

Nah, you have to check the wiki if you want a proper answer.

That's kind of a weird design decision considering you have the collection screen with all the items ect. Why not add descriptions?

for the items in the bottom right, they are consumables and there should be a button that consumes them. It's Q on pc.

Ok. I'm playing on Vita and I guess it's the R button since L uses bombs.

Finalow

I lost with the boss one hit away to being destroyed. GG game

and WHAT THE HELL at
Mom's heart?
they buffed it a lot or what? The fuck was that crap, I was playing a bullet hell game with all those red balls on the screen.

and I had 52 coins, just a couple away from unlocking the character. jesus christ

That's kind of a weird design decision considering you have the collection screen with all the items ect. Why not add descriptions?

Ok. I'm playing on Vita and I guess it's the R button since L uses bombs.

That's one of the most important things about the game: trying to figure out what items do and all the myth that comes with it. Before the original isaac was completely cracked open, there was a lot of myth about how an item works; does it increase your
chances with devil deals
or is it just an damage upgrade? It seems like I'm getting a lot more red chests, I wonder if this item I have is causing that?

The designer kept things vague on purpose because he wanted players to try to figure it out for themselves. You can certain wiki the items, and that's often enough for most players, but you'll be missing out on something very special that you won't be able to get back after you've spoiled it. I spoiled the original game and now I'm staying away from the wiki, I'm enjoying the game more than before, and the original was my favorite game.

I lost with the boss one hit away to being destroyed. GG game

and WHAT THE HELL at
Mom's heart?
they buffed it a lot or what? The fuck was that crap, I was playing a bullet hell game with all those red balls on the screen.

and I had 52 coins, just a couple away from unlocking the character. jesus christ

Edmund originally wanted isaac to be a bullet hell game at points, but couldn't get the performance out of AC2.

ZenaxPure

Got to say, pretty bummed by the Vita performance as well as the terrible new music.

Hoo boy, I'm in a run right now where I have utterly destroyed the vita framerate. Fire shots + triple shot + splash damage + chocolate milk. Causing it to dip into single digit fps in the boss rush room.

Though to be honest the original pc version never ran all that smooth for me anyway so this actually feels kind of normal.

beanman25

What is the room
with all the circles on the floor? I just got it and ended up with 2 buddies and some crazy tears that are like sythes.

Finalow

Edmund originally wanted isaac to be a bullet hell game at points, but couldn't get the performance out of AC2.
ok so it's confirmed that
Mom's heart
got heavily buffed?

also it was a typo before, I meant "how do I improve Azazel's range?" his charged shot doesn't seem to get longer.

I'll confirm it for you, if you want.

She shoots more projectiles than she used to.

SOURCE: 200+ hours of BoI with Platinum God achievement.
a lot more, to be honest. and I even almost killed it. :_( rip 45 minutes run.

Guymelef

Anyone else with sync problems between Ps4 and Vita?
I died two times on PS4, --> sync ---> start Vita version ---> sync ---> continue the game ----> kill mom ----> sync ----> game overwrites my save with prior PS4 save...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You don't.

Technology gives him full range, but overrides his normal tears completely and you have slow shot speed. I might have mentioned this last night? It's hard to remember. A single tears down pill gives you crazy high speed afterwards though.

Finalow

me after getting the bible.

1016.gif

I'm streaming on ps4 if anyone cares, trying to finish Utero. id: Jack999888

Also holy hell
Gurdy's Mom
is harder than any form of Mom I've ever played in both the remake and original.
yep, like I wrote earlier I have no idea how someone could kill that without flight.

also was it just to me that fps dropped to like 2 every time he used that yellow bubbles attack?

Top Bottom