• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I played this on PC last year and it took me what felt like 100 tries to beat. Last night I got to the final floor on my first try and I just beat it on my second. Revenge fly is the shit.

So I picked up something. Not sure what it was, but now I can control my shots as one giant ball which I move around with the right thumbstick and does permanent damage when I leave it sitting on an enemy. Makes boss fights super easy and now I'm finally on the last skull level.

I played this on PC last year and it took me what felt like 100 tries to beat. Last night I got to the final floor on my first try and I just beat it on my second. Revenge fly is the shit.

The game is also easier than the WoTL expansion that most people played in the original. The game gets harder, though. The devs wanted the game to gradually become harder instead of hitting your head into a wall from the outset.

Sciz

Challenge spoilers:
Good lord some of the builds you get stuck with in these are ridiculous. My highlight thus far has been finding a helper damage up item in the basement 2 shop during the orbital flies run. Like being surrounded by tiny little chainsaws.

Anyway, if you haven't been running the challenges yet, each one unlocks one of the new mystic runes. I'm still trying to figure out what they do exactly, but they occupy the card/pill slot.

The game is also easier than the WoTL expansion that most people played in the original. The game gets harder, though. The devs wanted the game to gradually become harder instead of hitting your head into a wall from the outset.

Another forgotten mechanic about the Binding of Isaac was that it had a hidden difficulty slider that gradually made the game more difficult as you progressed. Replayed it over and over again.

I think that's what is going on in Rebirth as well.

Had a Gluttony fight on Basement 1 with a new room layout. Oh well, I didn't need that Health Up anyways...

3DhMi9A.jpg

UglyPony

Syncing from the Vita to the PS4 doesnt work? I just synced with an old save i played with on ps4? Is it only 1 way?

Edit: Nevermind, works now. Must've been a one time thing. Lost some progress but ohwell.

Haunted

While I disagree with the way some of the unlocks work, the idea of a game that gets harder the longer you play and the more successful you are is pretty brilliant.

I just beat mother, during my third game ever. Then credits rolled. That's not the end already, is it?
It's like you just completed your first quest in World of Warcraft and think that's all the game has to offer.

Another forgotten mechanic about the Binding of Isaac was that it had a hidden difficulty slider that gradually made the game more difficult as you progressed. Replayed it over and over again.

I think that's what is going on in Rebirth as well.

Definitely, but this one is a lot more subtle. A lot of people are complaining about how hard it is, but I doubt many of them have even gotten to
everything is terrible
if it even exists in this game. Don't spoil it for me!

Hypron

Shit the game just crashed on me in the Depths 2 on a fairly good run. I was putting money in the donation machine and suddenly this loading screen comes up and never ends.

Why am I doing this to myself again? Goodbye hours, goodbye other games I wanted to play.

Oh well, my FIRST run I got No Damage Caves and took ONE HIT in Depths, only from something in a large room I didn't see.

NotLiquid

So after that last post it almost feels like I sequence broke the game. I haven't even unlocked Everything Is Terrible yet and I got sent to the Cathedral upon where I beat it and already got the first Polaroid piece.

Have to say,
Isaac
feels considerably easier in this game than in the original.

Finalow

I finished 2 levels without taking damage and I didn't unlock Samson. why?

Challenge spoilers:
Good lord some of the builds you get stuck with in these are ridiculous. My highlight thus far has been finding a helper damage up item in the basement 2 shop during the orbital flies run. Like being surrounded by tiny little chainsaws.

Anyway, if you haven't been running the challenges yet, each one unlocks one of the new mystic runes. I'm still trying to figure out what they do exactly, but they occupy the card/pill slot.
what's the easiest challenge? Also what boss do you need to kill in order to complete them.

I found an interesting item combo. Lost contact + Cupid's Arrow gives you piercing shots that can block enemy projectiles with breaking. It's pretty effective.

Im not sure if it's the native controller support or me following the game on twitch but I am doing much better than I was doing previously. I had two 25min runs just this morning and itching for more. Definitely a great freebie on ps4 and certainly worth a purchase if you don't have a deal.

Sciz

what's the easiest challenge? Also what boss do you need to kill in order to complete them.

Easiest I've run so far has easily been The Tank, which loads you up with health and damage reduction items. I'm not sure what the drawback is supposed to be.

Boss requirement is either Mom or Mom's Heart (so far), depends on the challenge. Mostly Mom, thankfully, because clearing the heart with some of these setups, oi.

That secret room
after you beat the heart that appears freaked me out. Had to fight like 20 bosses to get out. Don't know if this is common but it was a cool twist.

Vodh

Ok, after another short session I'm liking the game more and more. The core gameplay is really fun and seems like the game's crazy deep without being crazily unaccessible at the same time.

I think I'm gonna get over my general dislike for the lack of ingame item descriptions and everything's quick enough that I don't mind the seeming lack of permanently lasting progression (which as I understand is generally the way roguelikes work?)

Just beat every level up to
the Womb
without taking damage. Beat
Boss Rush
too.
It Lives
just got unlocked. All on Hard Mode.

Oh man this is gonna get hard.

Finalow

we have any info on Eden? How exactly to get a token/what's special about it. I unlocked it once and used it without knowing that, well, you "consume" it.

Easiest I've run so far has easily been The Tank, which loads you up with health and damage reduction items. I'm not sure what the drawback is supposed to be.

Boss requirement is either Mom or Mom's Heart (so far), depends on the challenge. Mostly Mom, thankfully, because clearing the heart with some of these setups, oi.
oh, it it's just Mom than I think that I can manage to finish some of them.

If you did them in a challenge it doesn't seem to count, otherwise could be a bug.
it was a normal run. :_|
I even got the trophy for no damage.

Lexxon

Just had an infinite loading screen pop up on one of the large rooms in Depths II. Farthest I'd made it in this version so far. Sucks. I assume its a lockup but I'll let it sit for a bit longer. I had just resumed from the PS menu, maybe that had something to do with it.

I saw a couple of other folks mention this issue, is it widespread?

I think I just had one of the most fun builds ever. Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled:

Here Ludavico Technique + Azazel's mini brimstone + triple shot + the mark If you mix it with the wiggle worm, it turns into a star shape.

Sciz

Oh, you fuckers.

Challenge spoilers:
Cursed! starts you off kinda like The Tank, with a tricked out Magdelene. In this case it's a bunch of health, a health trinket, and all three map revealing items. And you're going to need all of it because the trick is that you're stuck with Curse of the Cursed, i.e. all doorways do damage. And to add insult to injury, normal curses can still take effect, so god help you if you also pick up Curse of the Lost and can't see where to go either.

I think I'm gonna get over my general dislike for the lack of ingame item descriptions and everything's quick enough that I don't mind the seeming lack of permanently lasting progression (which as I understand is generally the way roguelikes work?)

Yeah, one of the core traits of roguelikes is permadeath with little to no persistent bonuses. All you keep, and all you need, is the experience you gained from dying.

Will F

What a crazy year, I played both on PC years ago, but right now this and Diablo 3 on PS4 are my game of the year front runners.

Jarsonot

This game rocks. "Beat" it for the first time tonight, played quite a bit. So entertaining with all the item possibilities. Really really good game.

My best run had me with damage resistance, regen, major stat boosts, tons of tears and range, etc.

Y'all always mention items by name, and seem to know what they do. Bus that because of tons of experience with the game, or is there some way (in game) to see what the items do.

(I know I can see what items I've found in the menu, but they don't have descriptions. Spoiler tag it if you want, but will there EVER be descriptions in game?)

Oh man, I finally got an Azazel + dark bum run going. Was cruising, then got a power up that gimped my rate of fire. My Vita is asleep right now, when I get back to it I'm going to enter a boss room and probably lose it all. I love this game.

I finished 2 levels without taking damage and I didn't unlock Samson. why?

Same thing happened to me. I actually unlocked all four of the "Beat X without taking damage" achievements before Samson finally unlocked. Perhaps there's a bug where you can't unlock Samson and one of those four achievements at the same time?

Top Bottom