• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

UGH. Just had an amazing run on my Vita. All the way through, beat Satan. Super poweful build, unlocked a bunch of characters. But my Vita wasn't connected to Wi-Fi at the time, so I needed to sync it back with my PS4. After searching around and not seeing anything, I figure the "Sync" option should work both ways, right? And even if not, there's no way they'd overwrite anything without making it clear first, right? Nope, hit sync on the Vita, now I'm back to square one. Only beat Mom once, only two characters unlocked. Fuck. Note to devs: If I'm going to overwrite something, make that absolutely clear. There's a reason the "Are you sure?" dialog exists in almost every other game in existence.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Hrrrrmmmm... is there a way to jump or something?

I'm getting annoyed by items separated by gaps that i cannot collect... :(
It's all in the items. You can jump, fly, teleport, vacuum items to you, build bridges, a million other things I'm forgetting. But you have to get the items that let you do that.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's all in the items. You can jump, fly, teleport, vacuum items to you, build bridges, a million other things I'm forgetting. But you have to get the items that let you do that.

you can also
boomerang
things to you!

Ferrio

Banned
I am really surprised how much I love this game. I usually hate roguelikes.

One of the best things is unlocking the D6 and knowing the ins and outs and just making insane builds. You could do some crazy shit in the original, like tears that take up the entire screen.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
First time playing. Had a Daddy Long Legs thing, protective bird thing, a helpful buddy that shot bullets, wings, and lucky petrified poop that helped me go invincible every now and then. Just killed mum

Is gud.

If you ever want to give it another shot, I'd recommend checking out a Let's Play of the original by someone like Northerlion or Bisnap. You could also try hopping on Twitch right now to watch them play Rebirth. The game can be quite cryptic at first, so it might take seeing people play who really know the game to make it 'click'. I enjoyed the original right off the bat, but I wasn't hooked until I looked at the Wiki and saw some experience players and realized how deep the game actually is.

If anything, it's too deep. I think if I'd played the original first maybe I would have had more time for this, but as it is I just can't get into it. There are hundreds and hundreds of items in the game and it's just impossible to remember what they do in most cases because there's very little logic to them. Toothpicks increase your rate of fire. Right. Okay. There's nothing in my brain that can make that link stick because it's just completely nonsense, so once I've got ten of these completely nonsense associations, they just start disappearing. It means every time I start the game I never have any idea what anything does. It should get to a point where I see an item and I know whether or not I want it.

Instead, every time I see an item I think "what the fuck does that do?" even if I've had it ten times before. Then, as I say, there are hundreds and hundreds of items, so even if I could remember some of them there's no way I can remember them all. The game could really do you a favour and just include a description of stuff you've collected before as a reminder as to its effects, but for some reason the game doesn't really want you to know what anything does. Even when you collect new stuff it's vague about the effects and oftentimes experimentation yields no results at all so you're left with this weird attachment which is doing something but what the fuck it's doing is anyone's guess. You've got to remember that, too.

Every time I play it is like the first time I've ever played it, and without being able to learn and get better, I've got no satisfaction from the game at all. Which really sucks, because I expected to love it. I heard all the Spelunky comparisons and so figured it would be amazing but instead it's just... this. Honestly, if you cut about 90% of the stupid items out of the game and refined and refined it, it would probably be brilliant. Like, if you've got twenty items that increase the player's rate of fire, you've got 19 too many.

I figure if you'd played a cut-down original and had time to get used to all the old stuff, maybe you could play the new one and the new items would stand out more. Maybe that's the key to liking it. As it is, as a new player, it's just way too pointlessly overwhelming and the base gameplay simply isn't fun enough on its own to make want to stick with it.

I feel like I'm letting everyone down by thinking this game sucks, but I can't help it =(

d00d3n

How do you proceed to deeper levels after the
mom's
heart boss? I just beat it the second time, opened the chest and ... end credits rolled again.

This is wrong! The only confirmed thing we know about hard mode is that you take a full heart of damage
on the earlier floors instead of just the later ones.
We also know that beating the game with all characters on hard mode is required to unlock everything, and that beating it with hard mode will unlock the normal mode items and the hard mode items at the same time.

It may not seem like a big change, but if you are playing as
Judas
it really changes how you would play the early. This also doesn't include any extra secret awesomeness that people haven't discovered yet.

Didn't Edmund say that bosses won't drop hearts on hard mode?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
How exactly does the seeding work? I tried inputting a random seed but it doesn't seem to "stick" and I end up with another random one anyway.

Just played the first level. Yup, it's BoI for sure! You guys weren't kidding about the music though. Yikes. Did Ed have a disagreement with the original composer or something? Damn shame. I didn't even realised I liked it that much untill t was replaced with generic dreck.

I shelled out £12 for the non PS+ version. I like PS+, but I don't like the idea that what will probably become my most played Vita game would be held to ransom for a monthly subscription (when a lot of the games might be shite. Escape Plan. Eesh)

Ferrio

Banned
Just played the first level. Yup, it's BoI for sure! You guys weren't kidding about the music though. Yikes. Did Ed have a disagreement with the original composer or something? Damn shame. I didn't even realised I liked it that much untill t was replaced with generic dreck.

Not sure. I know Danny has been working on the Crypt of the Necrodancer soundtrack. Which if you like BOI soundtrack, you should check it out.

NotLiquid

How do you proceed to deeper levels after the
mom's
heart boss? I just beat it the second time, opened the chest and ... end credits rolled again.

You have to induce a Devil Room spawn after beating Mom's Heart to proceed to Sheol, which is best done by doing a lot of deals with the Devil during your run or beating Mom's Heart at full health. After It Lives replaces Mom's Heart (which involves beating her eight times) and you beat it, Sheol opens up permanently.

d00d3n

You have to induce a Devil Room spawn after beating Mom's Heart to proceed to Sheol, which is best done by doing a lot of deals with the Devil during your run or beating Mom's Heart at full health. After It Lives replaces Mom's Heart (which involves beating her eight times) and you beat it, Sheol opens up permanently.

Thanks. I think I missed my first opportunity, because a Devil Room had spawned in the boss room. I opened the chest instead of going through it for some reason ... (Big glowing chest ... is kind of hard to resist)

SamVimes

If anything, it's too deep. I think if I'd played the original first maybe I would have had more time for this, but as it is I just can't get into it. There are hundreds and hundreds of items in the game and it's just impossible to remember what they do in most cases because there's very little logic to them. Toothpicks increase your rate of fire. Right. Okay. There's nothing in my brain that can make that link stick because it's just completely nonsense, so once I've got ten of these completely nonsense associations, they just start disappearing. It means every time I start the game I never have any idea what anything does. It should get to a point where I see an item and I know whether or not I want it.
You need to think different to have an idea what an item will do before you pick it up. The majority of items are inflicted on Isaac rather than him using them, that's why when you pick up a Wooden Spun you get red marks on your back and get higher speed. The toothpicks are put on the eyelids, hence tears up.

Grief.exe

lol an item that
makes you jump.

edit// which made me stuck in a corner. great, thanks.

That is such a game changing item. One of the few items in the game that massively changes your play style in every way.

It is fairly janky though, just keep trying different directions at different distances and you should get unstuck.

Isaac (boss)
is rather insane too. An absolute ton of tears throughout the entire fight, a seemingly huuuge bump in health and at one point in the fight he starts to move around, it's no longer a completely stationary fight. It will be hell

Another interesting thing about the revamped Isaac boss fight is that his attack patterns appear to be more predictable and easier to avoid. No more random tear spraying from what I saw, not even any homing tears. At least a couple times I could just head straight into the corner and avoid attacks entirely. Still, a very fun boss battle and more varied than in the original version.

yatesl

This game looks a lot better on the Vita. It might be the 720p TV the PS4 is hooked up to, but the new style does not look good at all on it vs. the PC version

Looks fine on Vita, though.

GhaleonEB

Curses are random when you enter a new floor. Most the time you get nothing, sometimes you'll get a curse and it'll say "Curse of Darkness, Curse of Unknown etc". It'll disappear when you get to a new floor. Also I believe there's a new item that disables all curses.

Thank you, I had no idea; I didn't spot the text (nor did my kid who was watching). The in-game menu had no tutorial or help menus, I'm hoping that's something in the main menu. There's clearly a ton to learn.

Ferrio

Banned
Thank you, I had no idea; I didn't spot the text (nor did my kid who was watching). The in-game menu had no tutorial or help menus, I'm hoping that's something in the main menu. There's clearly a ton to learn.

There's no tutorial or help menu. Gotta figure it out on your own, consult wikis, or watch some issac vets like Cobaltstreak, Richardhammer, Lethalfrag etc...

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.

I shelled out £12 for the non PS+ version. I like PS+, but I don't like the idea that what will probably become my most played Vita game would be held to ransom for a monthly subscription (when a lot of the games might be shite. Escape Plan. Eesh)
I was wondering the exact same thing. No idea what happened but whoever decided to replace the composer really fucked up. Danny B's BoI OST is a classic, and from what I've heard of Rebirth, the music is very forgettable.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Isaac (boss)
is rather insane too. An absolute ton of tears throughout the entire fight, a seemingly huuuge bump in health and at one point in the fight he starts to move around, it's no longer a completely stationary fight. It will be hell

One thing I've always wondered:

If you kill Isaac.... then who are you? D:

Acerac

Banned
I was wondering the exact same thing. No idea what happened but whoever decided to replace the composer really fucked up. Danny B's BoI OST is a classic, and from what I've heard of Rebirth, the music is very forgettable.

Sheol's theme is pretty fun.

Top Bottom