• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Helmholtz

Man, what a game. I kind of liked the original Binding of Isaac (never played wrath of lamb though), spent about 12 hours playing that. I've owned this game for one day, and I'm already at 12 hours. And I plan on playing it more. It's that good!
In terms of progress, I've managed to
defeat mom, and then go on to defeat her heart
The thing that keeps me playing is the sheer variety. There is an absurb number of items in the game.
My only complaint, and it stands for the original too, is that they often don't tell you anything about what an item is going to do. Like in the devil room, I typically look at a wiki to determine if I want anything. There's no way I'm giving up an hp slot, or two, on the off chance I want the item. I understand that telling you what an item does might hinder a sense of discovery or surprise, however I think if I've used the item once, it should fully tell me what it did the first time.
Still enjoying the game a ton though.

Kalamoj

Can I use challenges to unlock characters?
The laser eye was so OP, I obliterated everything including the
boss rush

yatesl

Been up all night I'll, so decided to play this on my vita. Beat mom for the first time (killed her once on BoI) and unlocked
Azazel
from deals.

First time through as
Azazel
, and I got quad shot on my second level, and then Brimstone later. I then proceeded to steamroll the game (although got hit once in the caves :(), and found the bible. Remembered a trophy about it, and then carried on destroying everything whilst using the bible on bosses. Even beat
boss rush
during the run.

Quad shot + Brimstone takes about 5 seconds to charge, but there's usually nothing left after it (including bosses).

I can't imagine playing as anyone else...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So would y'all say Rebirth is much more enjoyable than the original BoI? I'm still dabbling with the BoI so no urgency to grab Rebirth at this time (I'm not very good at original ...). Outside of BoI arguably being harder, was wondering how the two compared in terms of "gaming quality."

It looks better and runs better, I feel overall you have better control over Isaac as well, especially since it supports analog input, which makes navigating certain rooms quite a bit easier if you've got a ton of speed upgrades, since you can just gently tilt the stick to walk slowly.

Dingotech

So is Sync on the Vita stuffed or what?

I just did an awesome run and got my second ending with some unlocks. So I hit the sync button to maybe play on my PS4 later and when I checked my stats it's some older version? Whaaaaa?

Is this a known issue?

Rembrandt

Banned
so sad this is sony-console exclusive and I'm having computer problems. i'm going to miss this and hotline miami for a few.

the new graphic style has grown on me a lot more.

Jockey

Neo Member
I know I mostly lurk the forums but had a seed that needed to be shared. Lets just say it had homing lasers that spawned from portals. VR26 KCFY

Kalamoj

so sad this is sony-console exclusive and I'm having computer problems. i'm going to miss this and hotline miami for a few.

You just got an excuse to buy a Vita. Both games (and many more!) plays very well on it.

I do hope it comes on 3DS, and it will eventually if the latest news are any indication.
But it's nicalis, so it will probably happen in 2026

jtar86

This game is making me very excited for risk of rain. Have they given any indication of when that might be coming out. The only negative with this version is the soundtrack. The new one is good but man the original, probably some of the best music ever made for a game.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
This game is making me very excited for risk of rain. Have they given any indication of when that might be coming out. The only negative with this version is the soundtrack. The new one is good but man the original, probably some of the best music ever made for a game.

Risk of Rain? That came out ages ago. It's in the current Humble Bundle. Or are you talking about a console version?

NotLiquid

Carrion Queen is the worst thing to have to handle in Boss Rush.

And of course they had to throw her right near the start so the Red Poop can torture you throughout the remainder of the run.

Not sure what the deal is with those rooms with the circles on the floor. I guess you get random stuff depending on which circle me you stand on? One of them turned me into Lord of The Flies anyway which was pretty nice.

Also just found out you can hold select to drop trinkets/consumable items which is handy!

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Not sure what the deal is with those rooms with the circles on the floor. I guess you get random stuff depending on which circle me you stand on? One of them turned me into
Lord of The Flies
anyway which was pretty nice.

Also just found out you can hold select to drop trinkets/consumable items which is handy!

It's a
Dice Roll
room, the circles are
spots on the die
. It has different effects depending on
which number you get
, but they mostly
randomise items

Richardhammer currently breaking the game. All he needs is a d20 and it's only a matter of time.

http://www.twitch.tv/richard_hammer

He just unlocked the
D4
. Wonder what that does.

It's a
Dice Roll
room, the circles are
spots on the die
. It has different effects depending on
which number you get
, but they mostly
randomise items

Oh right. It was a 6 so I guess that explains it.

The amount of effects Lord of The Flies gives you is nuts.

CassSept

Hmmm.

nIsfkzd.png

Cons: Incredibly short range with Bob's Brain kinda hurt

Pros: Everything dying within mere seconds was kinda nice

Moral: Never abandon your run

Hilarious stuff. When I entered Mom's Heart room before I processed what was happening she already was at 25%, I didn't even have to kill eye lasers before she died. It took Satan more time to change phases than me to kill him, he didn't even attack me once (well, I don't count first stomp). I was so close to abandoning the run too, at Caves II I had a terrible setup and I almost ragequit with how frustrating it was.

Ferrio

Banned
Holy shit he broke the game. He has like 20 followers, quad shot epic fetus that heals him. He one shot blue baby. Eventually only breakfasts were showing up. Soon as he walked into mega satan room the game froze.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Holy shit he broke the game. He has like 20 followers, quad shot epic fetus that heals him. He one shot blue baby. Eventually only breakfasts were showing up. Soon as he walked into mega satan room the game froze.

Ha, yeah I saw that too. Bit of an anticlimax but at least he can say he broke the game. Saw some awesome items pop up there, I got the seed if you want to try it: JJRC H2PS. Obviously your experience may vary if you haven't unlocked everything he has.

ominator

Neo Member
No you have to kill her like 10 times, you can take damage. Each time unlocks something until finally you unlock the 2nd form of that boss.

That's how it was in the original too, it's just a devil/angel room proc, you have to kill Heart several times to unlock Cathedral/Sheol

The first time (Mom 2) I met her, i killed her with instantly with
the bible
. The big chest appeared and also a white-god-room, but I took the chest.

So no No-Hit to progress after Mom2 !?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I see why people think BOI is a good game but honestly it fells in the addictive games i don't enjoy, those games i can play for hours but that i don't really enjoy(like diablo 1 for example)

There's a way to know what objects do exactly? Shots modifiers apart it's really hard to understand what an item do, what to those pair of balls do for example? I thought they were related to shots but i don't see differences.

I see why people think BOI is a good game but honestly it fells in the addictive games i don't enjoy, those games i can play for hours but that i don't really enjoy(like diablo 1 for example)

There's a way to know what objects do exactly? Shots modifiers apart it's really hard to understand what an item do, what to those pair of balls do for example? I thought they were related to shots but i don't see differences.

You have to use them to unlock what they actually do. The affect is permanent though, so it is worthwhile to use em. Usually ...

Like sometimes I unlock the ability to see all the secrets rooms in the dungeons. Shot speed up, speed up, Tears up, etc.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
You have to use them to unlock what they actually do. The affect is permanent though, so it is worthwhile to use em. Usually ...

Like sometimes I unlock the ability to see all the secrets rooms in the dungeons. Shot speed up, speed up, Tears up, etc.

I guess i didn't use the items lol, i thought that picking them was enough to get their effects.

kgb_abc

Neo Member
I killed
Mom
two times now, once in a normal run and once in a challenge but my stats say I have 0
Mom
kills. Do I need to do something different?

Does using pills make them known, even for new runs?

No, they change every run.

BTW, just beat the cathedral, with a lucky azazel+guppy's head combo.
Isaac
is pretty different, but I've only seen the first and last phase since guppy's head knocked 3/4th of his HP.

I killed Mom two times now, once in a normal run and once in a challenge but my stats say I have 0 Mom kills. Do I need to do something different?
Challenges have a crossed out trophy icon under your resource counters: it means that you can't unlock anything for that run. This goes for both challenges and runs where you manually input the seed.

yatesl

Hey guys, be careful with file sync on Vita.

I just beat S
atan
, clicked sync to copy it to the cloud... and it overwrote my current save with an older one. All that, wasted.

Hypron

I just
killed mom's heart
in less than 2 seconds lol. I got a full equipment reroll on the last floor and got quad shot and huge ass tears that bounced off walls. I could have beaten the boss even faster if I hadn't moved to the right to avoid getting hit by the eyes on the sides, it was crazy.

CassSept

So something that was commonly thought to be a bug in the original is now considered working as intended? [character]
If you use Ankh and kill a boss it still counts as ??? kills. I thought that was a random flash bug
I killed
Mom
two times now, once in a normal run and once in a challenge but my stats say I have 0
Mom
kills. Do I need to do something different?

Mom kills counter counts Mom's Heart kills.

So something that was commonly thought to be a bug in the original is now considered working as intended? [character]
If you use Ankh and kill a boss it still counts as ??? kills. I thought that was a random flash bug

Well you literally become
???
with that item.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

Just to clarify, the effects are only for that one playthrough, not permanent across all playthroughs.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
After numerous deaths finally finished my run. With thanks of that Monthy Python long leg helper that stomped on enemies :D

got to the womb this morning before i had to stop to get ready for work. Man, i'm having a great run except that i'm currently stuck with soy milk. Fuckkkkk thatttttt. Luckily, i have a BFF helping me out and a couple other neat things doing...things. Also, what did i pick up that keeps making a necronomicon randomly pop up? that has been a great boon in this run.

SerTapTap

Seriously?

And then the game locks up, because fuck me.

That has to be the worst way to ruin a good run.

Edit: I guess it's not an inside joke or anything, the game crashed when I tried to close it.

Give Up has always been in the quotes pool.

Game should auto-save per level, just pick Continue.

Celegus

got to the womb this morning before i had to stop to get ready for work. Man, i'm having a great run except that i'm currently stuck with soy milk. Fuckkkkk thatttttt. Lucky, i have a BFF helping me out and a couple other neat things doing...things. Also, what did i pick up that keeps making a necronomicon randomly pop up? that has been a great boon in this run.

I had that too, not sure what it was. My best guess was Dry Baby that followed me around and didn't appear to do much else.

Top Bottom