• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Anyone having trouble syncing data between Vita and PS4? It worked the first 3 times, PS4 to Vita, the the other way around and back again, but now it just says unknown error on both.

So would y'all say Rebirth is much more enjoyable than the original BoI? I'm still dabbling with the BoI so no urgency to grab Rebirth at this time (I'm not very good at original ...). Outside of BoI arguably being harder, was wondering how the two compared in terms of "gaming quality."

Mentok

Banned
I'm convinced using a seed prevents progression. I've beaten
mom's leg
3 times using seeds, but it still only shows 5 rooms in new playthroughs...I also took no damage a few runs, but still no character unlock. I'll try a run without using a seed, if that doesn't work then I don't know what's up...

David___

Banned
Got Mama's Boy but I wasn't connected to the internet so I didn't get the trophy. Was the last of the 4 I needed. ;_;

Guppy + Holy Mantle = GOAT

Did you write down the seed number by any chance?

Edit: You should've gotten the trophy either way. You can't just view the trophy list when disconnected.

zulux21

mom's leg
3 times using seeds, but it still only shows 5 rooms in new playthroughs...I also took no damage a few runs, but still no character unlock. I'll try a run without using a seed, if that doesn't work then I don't know what's up...

seeds do indeed prevent progression. Since they are abusable the creator didn't want people just repeatedly doing seeds with strong early items to unlock everything.

mom's leg
Of course it prevents progression. Can't just load up any OP seed and expect to be rewarded for it.

Did you write down the seed number?
..fuck, I didn't screencap it.

Though I'm not sure if trophies are enabled on seeds either.

Edit: I connected online and nothing. I got the challenge in game just no trophy.

Flunkie

Banned
The challenges are easier than the base game because you actually get good weapon loadouts. Unless I'm missing something. I haven't gotten a single tear upgrade or anything making my offensive assault worthwhile outside of an occasional poison shot, pierce shot, etc. Isn't there super mega awesome wreck everything tear drops?

Sciz

Gnawed Leaf is Completely Broken Part 17 (non-leaf item spoiler):
There's a whole new set of items themed after the zodiac signs. One of them, Taurus, lowers your speed, but gives you a chance to proc the unicorn/chariot effect. I'm not sure what exactly triggers it, but I was reliably seeing it go off 3-4 seconds after entering a room by going into statue form and letting stuff beat on me, so almost every non-boss room from the Depths down through Sheol was cleared via invincibility, and the bosses all lost a good chunk of health anyway.

Not a fan myself but not a bad item. Spammable like blue candle, but does damage and freezes instead.
More importantly, the boomerang works just like its Zelda inspiration when it comes to snagging stuff. Great for all those items sitting just out of reach if you can't come across flight.

The challenges are easier than the base game because you actually get good weapon loadouts. Unless I'm missing something.

aha. ahahahahaha :(

Some of them start you out with some pretty sweet stuff, yes, although even those can be trickier than they initially appear. The rest are hell on earth. And almost all of them disable item rooms.

I rounded up quite the posse to kill Satan for the first time ever. I was close in the OG Isaac but one of his hooves flattened me.

Here's the clan:

5w054hO.png

zulux21

I decided to try hard mode for the heck of it... got to the womb where I keep dying right now on normal :p

tri shot + technology is still fun though just like in the original :p

Ferrio

Banned
The challenges are easier than the base game because you actually get good weapon loadouts. Unless I'm missing something. I haven't gotten a single tear upgrade or anything making my offensive assault worthwhile outside of an occasional poison shot, pierce shot, etc. Isn't there super mega awesome wreck everything tear drops?

There's some hard ones still. I think a lot of the new challenges are more of a "Hey look at this new combo you couldn't do in previous issac, have fun!" which is fine by me.

edit: watching richard hammer's run right now. He has the tiniest tears I've ever seen and is in the boss rush room. Damn you soy milk! http://www.twitch.tv/richard_hammer

Ogawa-san

Seriously?
And then the game locks up, because fuck me.

That has to be the worst way to ruin a good run.

Edit: I guess it's not an inside joke or anything, the game crashed when I tried to close it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Well, just tried to play on my laptop and lost my saved game :\ this sucks. Use caution if you plan on trying to transfer saves between computers.

So basically cloud saves are fucked on PC too? If only the Cloud saves worked in a way that transferred the save with the most progress rather than the most up to date one :(

So
Leaf
+
Ludovic Technique
= Instant Win.

Add some random tear effects, like I had Parasite, and you're in like flint.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Man I miss the old music so bad. I need to find a way to swap the files so the original soundtrack plays instead.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
There's some hard ones still. I think a lot of the new challenges are more of a "Hey look at this new combo you couldn't do in previous issac, have fun!" which is fine by me.

edit: watching richard hammer's run right now. He has the tiniest tears I've ever seen and is in the boss rush room. Damn you soy milk! http://www.twitch.tv/richard_hammer

I picked up Soy Milk for the first time when I found that room for the first time. Had no idea what either were. Regretted it pretty much the moment I saw the description, but it did let me just tap the button to shoot repeatedly as Azazel.

The real MVP of that run was
Dark Bum, who turns red hearts on the ground into soul hearts
. Saved me since I only had one health by that point.

Ferrio

Banned
I picked up Soy Milk for the first time when I found that room for the first time. Had no idea what either were. Regretted it pretty much the moment I saw the description, but it did let me just tap the button to shoot repeatedly as Azazel.

The real MVP of that run was
Dark Bum, who turns red hearts on the ground into soul hearts
. Saved me since I only had one health by that point.

http://platinumgod.co.uk/dark-bum

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does the Steam version even have Cloud saving? It doesn't seem so. There's no icon in the list view and it doesn't load up my stats on my other machine.

I might have to do what I did with SMB back in the day and use DropBox or iCloud and some symlinks. I just need to find where the saves are stored on my HDD.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
So I went in a challenge room with 2Grey and 1 red chest, was fighting enemies and was suddenly teleported to the devil room and bought something wOrth 3 bluen hearts despite having only black ones. This somehow unlocked krampus. Left the room and was back in the challenge room which now had 3 chubs in it instead ofor regular mobs and died. Okay then. Also getting the loading screen crash now. Was fine till today zero issues. Hope they patch soon.

Does the Steam version even have Cloud saving? It doesn't seem so. There's no icon in the list view and it doesn't load up my stats on my other machine.

I might have to do what I did with SMB back in the day and use DropBox or iCloud and some symlinks. I just need to find where the saves are stored on my HDD.

It definitely does, because when I first opened the game my "choose a save file" thing had the pieces of the polaroid that I had gotten so far. Then when I got to character select I had nothing unlocked.

Sciz

So I went in a challenge room with 2Grey and 1 red chest, was fighting enemies and was suddenly teleported to the devil room and bought something wOrth 3 bluen hearts despite having only black ones. This somehow unlocked krampus. Left the room and was back in the challenge room which now had 3 chubs in it instead ofor regular mobs and died. Okay then. Also getting the loading screen crash now. Was fine till today zero issues. Hope they patch soon.

Red chests
have a chance to teleport you on contact instead of containing things.

Soul hearts and black hearts are considered one and the same, despite being technically different objects. Picking up a black heart when you've got half a soul heart remaining will fill up the soul heart and leave you with just half a black heart, for example.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It definitely does, because when I first opened the game my "choose a save file" thing had the pieces of the polaroid that I had gotten so far. Then when I got to character select I had nothing unlocked.
Well I just fucked up my save on the machine I was using and the save wasn't even transferring to the other one. So now I lost all my progress.

What is supposed to sync? Because nothing synced at all for me. And now I'm back to nothing. No unlocked characters, no found items, no secrets. I still have the save files but there's no way to get it to force replace whatever's on the Cloud.

The game doesn't even show a Cloud icon in list view. Is it using its own non-Steam hosted cloud or something? Because on OS X it is not working at all.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Continuing to listen to the soundtrack on Bandcamp and it really is a grower, just keeps getting better and better. I absolutely love the track Tome of Knowledge. Super mysterious and creepy.

I noticed two particular tracks on the Bandcamp page doesn't list which area they are from. Super-duper secret areas I suppose?

ominator

Neo Member
So, you have to kill mom2 without taking without taking damage to progress? that's stupid.
In this run I had unbreakable and ball of bandages but i got hit in the first few seconds...

Ferrio

Banned
Just had a samson run, full damage and almost full shotspeed/tears + explosive shot or whatever.

Was like a god damned machine gun.

So, you have to kill mom2 without taking without taking damage to progress? that's stupid.
In this run I had unbreakable and ball of bandages but i got hit in the first few seconds...

No you have to kill her like 10 times, you can take damage. Each time unlocks something until finally you unlock the 2nd form of that boss.

CassSept

Well, this just happened

KLDJXdJ.png

That's how it was in the original too, it's just a devil/angel room proc, you have to kill Heart several times to unlock Cathedral/Sheol

AppleMIX

Funny story.

I made it to satan with like 11 lives. I lost every life except 1 and just raged quit leaving satan to kill me. I come back from the bathroom and find that satan is dead.

Based Gnawed Leaf.

red731

I wish this game wasnt inherently gross, or I might play it. wish someone would mod it

QQ

Can't wait to get home again. MOM!
(btw pixel smoothing filter sucks)

Had some pretty good runs yesterday, just to have them end in the most stupid ways
KuGsj.gif

I love it. It's more ambient which I think makes more sense.

It is really freaking dreadful, too (scary/spooky/dark, in other words). No hope in this OST except for some rooms.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Just had a samson run, full damage and almost full shotspeed/tears + explosive shot or whatever.

Was like a god damned machine gun
Did you unlock Samson without getting the no damage trophies first? Cuz I've gotten 3 of them and he still won't unlock.

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm maybe you do need the damage trophies first then. I almost had no damage in the basement again a few runs back but got hit literally on the laSt shot of the second boss. I'll have to try again tomorrow after class.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Managed to unlock Azazel last night, got a
Dark Bum
Lord of the Pit
and then was offered a
Guppy's Tail
so grabbed that to get the unlock. Had to quit in the middle of
the Womb
so will be getting back to that after work today, hopefully will be a successful run, but I'm counting any run where I unlock something as a success for the time being, ha.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
So would y'all say Rebirth is much more enjoyable than the original BoI? I'm still dabbling with the BoI so no urgency to grab Rebirth at this time (I'm not very good at original ...). Outside of BoI arguably being harder, was wondering how the two compared in terms of "gaming quality."

I'm only 4 runs in or so, but rebirth seems like the definitive version. It's always smooth for starters. seems like a 'more stuff' scenario. feels like the best it can be version. I'd compare it to the jump from original to wrath of the lamb version in terms of new feel.

Really liking this game a lot but...

Is there any way to tell what an item does when the description is is ambiguous? I picked up and item and it was something close to "Gives you the answers" and never had any idea of what it did. Would of been really nice if there was some way to view a more detailed description.

Ferrio

Banned

Is there any way to tell what an item does when the description is is ambiguous? I picked up and item and it was something close to "Gives you the answers" and never had any idea of what it did. Would of been really nice if there was some way to view a more detailed description.

No. Either you figure it out yourself, or you look on a wiki. Keep in mind the wikis are still being updated as there's quite a few items people don't know what do yet still.

wetflame

Pizza Dog

To answer your question, by design they don't tell you in the game what an item does so that there's a little more mystery involved. There are wikis which are being updated which have more detailed information on the items though. That particular item does sound familiar though, I think it was something to do with keys, as I remember getting one with a play on words to do with answer = key.

Top Bottom