• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

WITHE1982

Just made it to mom for the first time on my 4th Vita run. Unfortunately I died just one shot away from killing her (only had 2 hearts going into the room). Was such an enjoyable run though. Got tons of DMG upgrades and found a few secret rooms as well.

Such an amazing and addictive game,I'm loving it so far. Gonna dive back into it tonight on my PS4 and hopefully slay that witch.

I am really enjoying this game so far. Never even heard of it until now. One question, am I playing it wrong or is it insanely hard? Like harder than Dark Souls hard. I got to the final dungeon and died and then I am, at the beginning and lost all of my items. Is this normal? I see continue, but I end up at the beginning. Also, I see a password, but when do you put it in?

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Head Trauma challenge is a pain in the god damn ass, especially when your first two bosses are the Gurglings and Dingle.

Kinsei

Banned
I am really enjoying this game so far. Never even heard of it until now. One question, am I playing it wrong or is it insanely hard? Like harder than Dark Souls hard. I got to the final dungeon and died and then I am, at the beginning and lost all of my items. Is this normal? I see continue, but I end up at the beginning. Also, I see a password, but when do you put it in?

All of that is normal. The password is your seed. Since everything in the game is randomized you can give that password to other people so they can try and get through the game with the exact same layout and items that you did.

That wasn`t the final dungeon.

jblank83

Took me around 175 hours, though I'm not nearly as good as some so who knows what the average time is.

It took me 200 hours, however I wasn't gunning for it from the start, just having fun. Randomness plays a factor in it as well. It is completely possible to not see an item for dozens of hours (achievement requires getting every item).

Beyond that, it is possible to cheatengine achievements by modifying stats/items. So the average time of all players with the achievement may not reflect the actual average time of all players who did it legitimately.

It's a roguelike. And they are traditionally very hard and unforgiving. You lose all progress if you die and the next run will be totally different (it's randomized). The code is a seed for the current dungeon you have generated, that can be put in next time if you want to play through the same run or share it!

Edit: Darn you Kinsei! *shakes fist*

Celegus

Do you mean the full room damage effect that black hearts cause when you take damage?

Yeah, it's similar to that. A big creepy book (Necronomicon?) flashes on the screen for a second randomly and everything dies. Couldn't figure out what triggered it or why it was happening, but it was nice.

All of that is normal. The password is your seed. Since everything in the game is randomized you can give that password to other people so they can try and get through the game with the exact same layout and items that you did.

That wasn`t the final dungeon.

Thanks. Sorry, I meant to say the final part of the first series of stages. Got a little further when I tried again.

Kid Ska

Yeah, it's similar to that. A big creepy book (Necronomicon?) flashes on the screen for a second randomly and everything dies. Couldn't figure out what triggered it or why it was happening, but it was nice.

Dry Baby triggers Necro whenever it's hit.

SerTapTap

I started that challenge where you start with 99 bombs and that "can't use tears, use bombs instead" effect. Immediately used "bombs are key". Oops. Shortest run in history.

hbkdx12

So, put in a few runs yesterday azazel and it's gonna be a bit hard to play as other characters. I don't even really care for the way he shoots/damage output, just the fact that he
flies
is enough to make him feel OP

For me personally, any item that grants me
flight
is an item that heavily tips the scale in my favor

I also found this cool item (item spoiler)
empty jar that lets you hold up to four hearts in it and when you activate it, it drops the hearts so you can heal up quick if you're in a pinch and any left over hearts go back into the container. It's a great item that somewhat mitigates that slight frustration of leaving a level with a bunch of hearts scattered in each room that you can't do anything with

So far keeping a winning streak at 3 and got Ending 2.
Mom's heart
doesn't mess around in Rebirth. Completed one challenge (wakka wakka) but failed by the end at two others.

ominator

Neo Member
Took me 159. Hoping for the same here!

Edit: Isit possible to drop trinkets on PC while using a 360 pad?

you can change the controls in the options. on standard, dropping items is not assigned.
I assigned it to Y but honestly, I forgot about it until i read your post.

SerTapTap

you can change the controls in the options. on standard, dropping items is not assigned.

Aaaaaaa this is one of my fav features (it's R2 on PS4). Why is it not assigned. I drop like half the tickets I pick up. A little disappointed there's no quick reset button combo on playstation, too.

Anustart

Yeah, I was just wondering since I heard it was possible. Never really felt the urge to drop anything, was just perplexed when I tried every button and couldn't.

CassSept

Took me around 175 hours, though I'm not nearly as good as some so who knows what the average time is.

It took me around 160-170 hours so that seems to be about the normal time to complete it.

got to the womb this morning before i had to stop to get ready for work. Man, i'm having a great run except that i'm currently stuck with soy milk. Fuckkkkk thatttttt. Luckily, i have a BFF helping me out and a couple other neat things doing...things. Also, what did i pick up that keeps making a necronomicon randomly pop up? that has been a great boon in this run.

Ah so it was that. Go Dry Baby! Him and Li'l Brimstone are fantastic. And of course Dark Bum.

nice to know. I'm going to put that baby in harm's way more often now that i know this hah

I think this kinda sounds like Missing Page 2 (Missing Page trinket in passive item form), rather than dry baby. Dry baby kills it's attackers but I don't remember it triggering necronomicon, though obviously I might be wrong. (E: nvm, it does, but Missing Page 2 can trigger it too)

hbkdx12

What are those N canisters that I can't seem to pick up?

It's gray with a yellow stripe? That's a battery that instantly recharges your item so you can use it again

If you don't have an item or you do but it doesn't need recharging, you can't pick it up

11 runs so far, still haven't beaten Mom but I've gotten so close. I am in total love with this game. Proper controller support made all of the difference (Joy2Key never really worked well with my system).

Flunkie

Banned
So I can unlock starting items for characters?

11 runs so far, still haven't beaten Mom but I've gotten so close. I am in total love with this game. Proper controller support made all of the difference (Joy2Key never really worked well with my system).
This is how I feel. It's such a perfect fit on Vita.

Althane

There's a lot more trinkets that do... I have no idea.

I had like 3 worm trinkets on a floor, and I just eventually picked the "flat" one. No idea what any of them did.

Can't wait until the wiki gets built out, because I am left clueless with a lot of the lesser-impact items.

New pill types are pretty awesome as well. I Can See Forever is great.

Amagon

It's gray with a yellow stripe? That's a battery that instantly recharges your item so you can use it again

If you don't have an item or you do but it doesn't need recharging, you can't pick it up
I'm having bad memory here but was that in the original game or is it just me?

jblank83

I'm having bad memory here but was that in the original game or is it just me?

These batteries are consumables and instantly refill the energy meter.

The passive battery upgrades (regen energy slowly, reduce energy meter refill requirement by 1) are still purchasable from the shop.

SerTapTap

There's a lot more trinkets that do... I have no idea.

I had like 3 worm trinkets on a floor, and I just eventually picked the "flat" one. No idea what any of them did.

Can't wait until the wiki gets built out, because I am left clueless with a lot of the lesser-impact items.

New pill types are pretty awesome as well. I Can See Forever is great.

The worms should all have an immediately noticeable effect on your tear shots.

Kid Ska

They change how your tears fly. Flat Worm will flatten them out and I think give them a wider hitbox.

Ozium

Took me 159. Hoping for the same here!

Edit: Isit possible to drop trinkets on PC while using a 360 pad?

yes it is

it is on by default

Aaaaaaa this is one of my fav features (it's R2 on PS4). Why is it not assigned. I drop like half the tickets I pick up. A little disappointed there's no quick reset button combo on playstation, too.

it is

You can drop trinkets by holding RT on the controller.

this

yup I did not like using the keyboard on the PC. But now that I can fire it up and play it on the coach with my DS4 in hand. Glorious.

Perfection.

Great game overall. I'm hooked. This could easily be my most played game this month and I just got Plants vs. Zombies : GW from Gamefly lol. Thats hella fun too but man, this game has its hooks. Will get GTAV later on which will likely take over my playtime for a bit.

ElTopo

Banned
So would y'all say Rebirth is much more enjoyable than the original BoI? I'm still dabbling with the BoI so no urgency to grab Rebirth at this time (I'm not very good at original ...). Outside of BoI arguably being harder, was wondering how the two compared in terms of "gaming quality."

Rebirth is superior just because it's not on Flash. No more getting to the end with an amazing load and the game crashes or goes down to 5 FPS.

So are the sync issues common for everyone? Started playing on Vita and unlocked Azreal, Lazarus, Eden, and Samson (correct names?) and beat Mom. Want to play on PS4 now, but every time I press Sync on Vita, I get the "Unknown error occured".

I saw some stuff on Twitter from Nicalis that there are sync issues but wasn't sure if it was widespread.

Rebirth is superior just because it's not on Flash. No more getting to the end with an amazing load and the game crashes or goes down to 5 FPS.

it's hard crashed on me 3 times on the PS4. It'll just go randomly into a loading screen mid game and stay there. Luckily, there is a continue option that lets you start from the beginning of a zone but it still sucks. Had it hang on freaking mom once.

What's the button on Vita to use a pill? Thought I pressed everything. Nothing.
press the bottom right side of the screen, where the pill is.

So are the sync issues common for everyone? Started playing on Vita and unlocked Azreal, Lazarus, Eden, and Samson (correct names?) and beat Mom. Want to play on PS4 now, but every time I press Sync on Vita, I get the "Unknown error occured".

I saw some stuff on Twitter from Nicalis that there are sync issues but wasn't sure if it was widespread.
It worked once for me on launch and has been borked since. it's not just you.

Top Bottom