• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

FtHTiny

Just finished a run where i beat
The lamb
. I haven´t played much of the original and it really ramps up in difficulty but i had max dmg with laser shot and the brimstone follower with 10 red hearts and 2 def items.

Chesskid1

Banned
i beat mom x number of times and received the game gets harder popup, the enemies and boss for the first few levels seem so much harder now

i'm getting destroyed, on like a -6 streak. i was getting the hang of the game too

Joe Molotov

I've played with
Eden
three times, and every time it rolled all my stats 1 except for once I got 2 attack. Hurts so bad, man. It took me like 10 minutes to kill Peep.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Question: do you like the 8-bit visual style or did you prefer the original(if you've played the original)?

I personally like the pixel art better. The flash version made me feel like I was playing a flash game on Newgrounds in 2002. I can understand people being attached to the original style, but I think the game looks better overall now.

Thanks for all of the feedback regarding original vs. Rebirth. The addition of analog input may sway me to pick this up during the Christmas Seal/Sale on Steam. I haven't minded using the kb wasd/directional, but I can use all of the control advantages I can get.

Puru

Question: do you like the 8-bit visual style or did you prefer the original(if you've played the original)?

I don't like how it looks in full screen on my computer but it's pretty good in windowed or on my Vita, some mobs like the maggots or the spider on the walls just feel out of place whereas the original art was pretty much consitent.

The special effects looks really good in general
outside of the womb fog or whatever it is supposed to be
which imo is a huge plus in comparison to the original.

Honestly i feel that the original style but with more detail and the special effect would have looked better but as it stands rebirth wins for me, but not by that much.

SamVimes

Did anyone else find the
hidden ladder? I don't know if it an exclusive to the cellar but sometimes by bombing i found a ladder that brought me into an area in which i could get shop items in exchange for heart containers

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Yep, Azazel is definitely easy mode. Beat the game on my first try with him. Or did I? Is there more to the game past Mom if I beat her again or is it literally just unlocking characters and doing the challenges from here on?

NotLiquid

Yep, Azazel is definitely easy mode. Beat the game on my first try with him. Or did I? Is there more to the game past Mom if I beat her again or is it literally just unlocking characters and doing the challenges from here on?

Beating mom is equivalent to beating the "first" boss in the grand scheme of things. There's a lot of content left to unlock, additional chapters, bosses etc.

LOL. You have no idea. You are just scratching the surface. The game advertises 500+ hours of content for a reason. ;)

SerTapTap

They did a mostly great job with the pixelart, though honestly I'd have preferred the original art moved to a more performant engine. What many complain about as "looks like flash" I strongly associate with Ed's actual art style (and I mean, dude HAS made a ton of flash games) while this game, while it still looks good, just looks...well it looks like a pixelart version of Ed's work, not something he would have made himself.

Though there's some detail in new (and some old) enemies that's really superb in the pixel art, and some stuff in the flash versions was kinda lazy. On the whole I think the game itself looks more "production ready" but I prefer the actual original style. It probably just looked rushed because...well, I'm pretty sure Ed said it just actually was rushed.

D65E517EF80AC300EEB21AD7A5E9228A1D17F5FC
Had a pretty killer Judas run. Halo + Big Mushroom combo isn't fancy but it's got carrying power. Add in a Little Mushroom and Cancer and you've basically got a machine gun. Seed: 72GA C7LQ

Novocaine

Okay so this was totally new to me. Spoiler in the image I linked.

Found a door with wood over it, it took 2 bombs to clear out and when I walked in to the room I got this;

http://i.imgur.com/FRpFinQ.jpg

Let me go to sleep on the bed and I woke up with full hearts. I tried to do it a 2nd time but it wouldn't let me.

Also the picture of the ass on the wall made me laugh pretty hard.

SerTapTap

I've noticed patches are still slow to cert on PS platforms, Metrico's big patch was announced weeks in advance of actually hitting platforms. Not super surprised, but a bit disappointed.

Okay so this was totally new to me. Spoiler in the image I linked.

Found a door with wood over it, it took 2 bombs to clear out and when I walked in to the room I got this;

http://i.imgur.com/FRpFinQ.jpg

Let me go to sleep on the bed and I woke up with full hearts. I tried to do it a 2nd time but it wouldn't let me.

Also the picture of the ass on the wall made me laugh pretty hard.

There's more to that room.

Sciz

By all rights this should've been the worst run, but instead it was the best.

isaac_2casq7.png

First was Mom's Eye, which has a chance to fire a tear behind you. Then I grabbed Ipecac, which I'm generally okay with except that I'd forgotten about the eye, which made standing near walls a problem. So that was a pain in the neck for a while, but I hung on until I got... something or other that lit my tears on fire, leaving flames behind on impact. It also made me fireproof. This was followed by a lump of coal, so I suddenly had some pretty wicked long range artillery.

Then I stumbled across Dr. Fetus. So instead of Ipecac's wonky targeting, my basic tears were little Bob's Heads that grew stronger the further I threw them and left behind hellfire. And I have no idea why this next part was happening, but whenever mom's eye procced, both bombs would instantaneously go off on top of me. But I was immune to bomb damage, which probably had happened back when I just had flaming ipecac, but it took until I started detonating explosives in my face on a regular basis to notice.

So instead of the usual splash damage hell that comes with having explosive tears, I was free to fling death with complete abandon and occasionally explode with pure toxic rage, bathing the world around me with flames. Minor bosses died in one good hit. Major bosses hardly survived much longer. Rooms where the mushroom doubled my fire rate were especially fun, and the unicorn stump let me go invincible and wait for anything still standing to burn to death if I wanted.

Jesus, this game is addicting.

I'm hoping that the ending glitch on Vita/PS4 gets fixed at some point though. There's really just no way that I'm starting a new save file at this point because I'm missing End 5 out of the 13 that I've unlocked so far.

ZeroCDR

m6slvpY.png

aHtjj9J.png

stay away from sync unless you want to lose progress (common) or possibly get corrupt saves (seems to happen to very few ppl)

A few more days? Argh.

I wanted to go all in on PS4 this weekend, I backed up my Vita save to the PS+ cloud so I'll just keep trying anyway lol

Ferrio

Banned
Checked out cobalts stream. He has regular meatboy, pops book of rev for the last piece. He gets conquest as his horseman... poor guy. Going to be so hard to get meatboy/bandage girl.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Apparently the no damage achievements disregard damage on the first floor of a chapter, too. So you only need to avoid getting hit on Basement II to get Basement Boy, and so on.

By all rights this should've been the worst run, but instead it was the best.

isaac_2casq7.png

First was Mom's Contact, which has a chance to fire a tear behind you. Then I grabbed Ipecac, which I'm generally okay with except that I'd forgotten about the contact, which made standing near walls a problem. So that was a pain in the neck for a while, but I hung on until I got... something or other that lit my tears on fire, leaving flames behind on impact. It also made me fireproof. This was followed by a lump of coal, so I suddenly had some pretty wicked long range artillery.

Then I stumbled across Dr. Fetus. So instead of Ipecac's wonky targeting, my basic tears were little Bob's Heads that grew stronger the further I threw them and left behind hellfire. And I have no idea why this next part was happening, but whenever mom's contact procced, both bombs would instantaneously go off on top of me. But I was immune to bomb damage, which probably had happened back when I just had flaming ipecac, but it took until I started detonating explosives in my face on a regular basis to notice.

So instead of the usual splash damage hell that comes with having explosive tears, I was free to fling death with complete abandon and occasionally explode with pure toxic rage, bathing the world around me with flames. Minor bosses died in one good hit. Major bosses hardly survived much longer. Rooms where the mushroom doubled my fire rate were especially fun, and the unicorn stump let me go invincible and wait for anything still standing to burn to death if I wanted.

So, did you keep the seed code? I'm curious to try it

CassSept

Apparently the no damage achievements disregard damage on the first floor of a chapter, too. So you only need to avoid getting hit on Basement II to get Basement Boy, and so on.

So in theory to get Dark Boy you need the tarot card that teleports you to Mom, a Bible and that's it, done? Hmmm...

anyone having issues with notifications and BOIR on the PS4? it never seems to work (like if i earn a trophy, if i press the PS button while it's flashing on screen it wont take me straight to trophies) and if i try to go back to the XMB and then return to the game it locks the game up half the time.

yeah, they need to patch this already.

SerTapTap

anyone having issues with notifications and BOIR on the PS4? it never seems to work (like if i earn a trophy, if i press the PS button while it's flashing on screen it wont take me straight to trophies) and if i try to go back to the XMB and then return to the game it locks the game up half the time.

yeah, they need to patch this already.

Haven't had an issue, but I've never tried to go look at the trophies (I know why I got 'em). It does sound like the game has stability issues that should be patched along with cross save though

Haunted

Seeing the framerate never falter even for a second with the most insane bullet hell on screen is so good.

That alone means it's absolutely superior to the original.

Top Bottom