• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Man, had a killer run, beat Mom in 16 minutes. Then I entered the boss rush room. Took me 8 minutes to clear :lol. That was intense! I only had 2 total hearts as well, luckily I was a ghost. So I could zoom around shit easily enough to restore my health when needed.
Also had the jar, which was a lifesaver. And some sort of ingot item that made my tears hit like trucks, + etheral tears + speed ups + homing shots and presto, I could beat it
I also had the little brimstone buddy :).

Then I dropped down into Sheol and died 3 minutes later.

I'm trying hard to remember the last time I spent a workday looking forward to playing a game in the evening and wondering what I'd unlock.

That's the best metric I can give on how engrossing I find the game. I loved Vanilla and Wrath of the Lamb but I feel even more hooked to Rebirth.

I had 3-4 shitty runs with Azazel yesterday, I hope I get better stuff tonight (or get good lol).

hbkdx12

I'm trying hard to remember the last time I spent a workday looking forward to playing a game in the evening and wondering what I'd unlock.

Same here. I remember going through Vanilla isaac and being excited just to see what seemingly endless crazy combination of items i'd get and see how things synergize. For me it's the marquee thing that bout this game that makes it so fantastic

Once i got platinum god, my enjoyment went down a bit but now that rebirth introduces a whole slew of new items and combinations, i'll probably hold it up there as one of my GOTY

aravuus

Since there was a thread about gaming while inebriated just a short while ago I have to say, BoI goes beautifully with a couple of beers. I've beaten 4 bosses all with half a heart left with easily the shittiest items I've got so far in the whole game and I'm not really even thinking what I'm doing. This is fun.

Just beat
The boss rush. My item of choice was the spider bite and spiders kept on coming out of me and were flooding the floor. The bosses barely had a chance and Satan went down pretty easily too.

Today was the second time the game crashed on me and froze my computer to the point I had to reset it.

Reaaaaaally hoping for a patch soon that'll prevent that.

SamVimes

What really needs patching is the hitbox on he wall turrets spiders thingies. It's just bullshit that when you should clearly be outside of their touch range with flight they still get you. Especially annoying with Azazel.

There doesn't happen to be a way to unlock the original soundtrack, is there? This is okay but the original's soundtrack was so so so much better.

I could have tried to 100% it but if you can't use seeds for that then fuck it.

what's that?

100%ing the original isaac was very brag-worthy (and took me about 150 hours). It's not for everyone and if they allowed seed codes, it would significantly diminish the accomplishment.

Sounds good to me. I hate the no damage achievements.

I kind of wish I would have known this! I got the achievements for Basement, Caves, Depths, and
womb
, but I was restarting every time I got hit even once because I figured, why not get them out of the way early when the game is a little easier?

SerTapTap

Man, Istill haven't eaten regular Isaac mode yet, but this game is so addicting!

biblethump.png

TheExodu5

Banned
I never cared for the original game on PC. I liked the concept, but there was so much input lag I found it nearly unplayable.

Tried this on PS4 last night. Incredibly. Controls are spot on perfect. I can see myself putting some time into this.

Finalow

100%ing the original isaac was very brag-worthy (and took me about 150 hours). It's not for everyone and if they allowed seed codes, it would significantly diminish the accomplishment.
I know but still stuff like
no damage Dark Room
seems the type of bullshit that you could finish only with an incredibly good run that breaks the game, thus seeds. it would have been much easier, that's for sure.

Emperor card teleports you straight to boss room, bible kills mom/heart instantly. So easy to get the no damage achieve.
right, you meant the card.

that combo surely helps for the utero/womb no damage, provided that you finish the first part without getting hit.

I know but still stuff like
no damage Dark Room
seems the type of bullshit that you could finish only with a incredibly good run that breaks the game, thus seeds. it would have been much easier, that's for sure.

right, you meant the card.

that combo surely helps for the utero/womb no damage, provided that you finish the first part without getting hit.

That's likely very true. I got no damage achievements this game with Azazel for basement through
womb
pretty easily.
Dark Room
just seems impossible.

Rubius

Emperor card teleports you straight to boss room, bible kills mom/heart instantly. So easy to get the no damage achieve.

I actually got the Dark Boy and Mamas Boy achievement on the same run. Mom Knife + Homing with Blessed shield that allowed me to get hit a single time every room without taking damage. Intense but I actually got Dark Boy without trying and was surprised.

That's likely very true. I got no damage achievements this game with Azazel for basement through
womb
pretty easily.
Dark Room
just seems impossible.
I guess you'd need defensive stuff like gnawed leaf, trinity shield and holy mantle with passive damage dealing stuff on the side to even the odds.

carlos

Trophies won't unlocked :( I unlocked Eve, Cain, and finished Boss Rush, but didn't get any trophies. Is this a known bug?

Just happened to me too, had 99 coins but no trophy or character unlock, same deal with having two full rows of hearts....and on my first good run too :mad:

I'm on vita, same thing happened with god of war collection and unit 13....

on to top it all off, I don't know what killed me during the fight with the bloat, i was just taking damage for no reason. So much shit I don't understand still...

Ferrio

Banned
Just happened to me too, had 99 coins but no trophy or character unlock, same deal with having two full rows of hearts....and on my first good run too :mad:

I'm on vita, same thing happened with god of war collection and unit 13....

on to top it all off, I don't know what killed me during the fight with the bloat, i was just taking damage for no reason. So much shit I don't understand still...

Bloat has several ways to hit you:

1. Blood he leaves on the ground.
2. His floating eye balls.
3. Tears that shoot out of him
4. Brimstone shots
5. Dropping on your ass

So was one of those.

carlos

4. Brimstone shots
5. Dropping on your ass

So was one of those.

Does the place you fight him in always change?

the room had to columns in the middle, and he seemed stuck there; every time he jumped he landed right back there; he wasn't moving, his shots wouldn't go through the columns, and I was out of reach of his lazers and floating eyeballs.

I was just taking half a heart of damage every couple of seconds...I think it may have glitched out :/

Grief.exe

4. Brimstone shots
5. Dropping on your ass

So was one of those.

The Bloat is such a tough boss. The difficulty is compounded by the fact that you don't see him all that often, making learning his tells that much more difficult.

Rubius

I'm so bad, 20+ turns and still can't get past the 4th floor.

The game is really RNG based but it's also a lot of skill. Try looking for the secret rooms
(One is usually on the most connected place in the map, the other the least)
and look in the shops. Shop items can really be a life savior.

The rest is just learning enemies behavior and getting lucky. I sucked at the original up to a couple of months ago too.

SerTapTap

BTW if your game save is on your PS4 and you want to play on Vita, try remoteplay, it actually works really well. Best I can tell visually it's basically perfect. Controls are just slightly weird because it gives you emulated PS4 controls instead of Vita controls (devs CAN do this, they just usually don't). I remoteplayed instead of syncing lastnight and it was pretty cool anyway.

Ferrio

Banned
The game is really RNG based but it's also a lot of skill. Try looking for the secret rooms
(One is usually on the most connected place in the map, the other the least)
and look in the shops. Shop items can really be a life savior.

The rest is just learning enemies behavior and getting lucky. I sucked at the original up to a couple of months ago too.

Also make sure
To bomb any rock with an X on it. Usually they're off colored too. They'll drop items/soul hearts.

Finally beat Isaac Mode and now doing
Azazel
. Getting used to
his charge lazer breath
is tough as hell.

I had some item that made Isaac stop shooting tears and puke chunks instead. At first, i fucking hated it. But once i got some dmg + stacked on top of it, it made me stupidly lethal. One solid puke at mom took down 80% of her health. I two shotted her, it was so easy.

What really needs patching is the hitbox on he wall turrets spiders thingies. It's just bullshit that when you should clearly be outside of their touch range with flight they still get you. Especially annoying with Azazel.

Yep, this was bugging me this morning. Azazel's attack range makes it pretty noticeable.

L00P

getting through The Chest is some hardcore shit. The new demon boss with the weird homing brimstone is a pain in the ass especially when there are two of them in the same room

Top Bottom