• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

dLMN8R

Hrm I just saw something I don't understand.

I didn't have a saved game, but I still had a Continue button when I loaded it up. I clicked Continue, and it started from 1-1.

I noticed a little Universal No icon underneath my bombs/keys counter, have no idea what it was.

I died, but I could still click Continue...started from 1-1 again.

I clicked New Game instead, and for a second I saw a large broken key on a black background.

What's up with that?

j3vaF5X.jpg

my stats so far, ive been playing like mad but i bet this is nothing compared to some ppl

i really wish all the endings/items/secrets all had descriptions to make it easier, especially secrets for you can see what you've accomplished, but not that big of a deal

Does the Mom Kills stat only count Mom's Heart? I've killed Mom several times but not her heart and it says 0 for me.

After an hour or two on PS4 I fired up the Vita version and it gave me an error and shut down my Vita. Wasn't my Vita's fault because the message was in the BOI's style. Then I couldn't sync my saves. Are these wide issues? Will they patch them soon?

Yeah I can't sync saves. It worked the first 3 or so times, but now it just says unknown error. I have a ton of progress on Vita and now I can't play the PS4 version because I don't want to make progress on that when the Vita one has so much more done.

Stoze

Thank the gods for Lazarus. I died at the beginning of the run, revived because of Lazarus' ability, beat the boss, and then the next few floors I ended getting the Holy Relic shield thing and Brimstone. Rest of the run was a cake walk.

Stoze

I got the Broken Remote trinket and the item that absorbs one hit per room.

Any time I get hit once I just ZOOP out of whatever room I'm in and I can never die.

My damage sucks eggs, but I can do anything as long as I'm patient enough.

Oh hey, I had this combo and I didn't even realize. I traded out the Broken Remote before getting hit and realizing what it did.

Also the Broken Clock is an awesome passive.

Oh hey, I had this combo and I didn't even realize. I traded out the Broken Remote before getting hit and realizing what it did.

Also the Broken Clock is an awesome passive.

It's a wonderful combo, but you lose the right to your active item from what I can tell.

Griss

Went into this game blind, but excited due to all the hype. Man, it's nothing at all like I expected (I had no idea it was a twin-stick shooter type game) and I'm really, really underwhelmed. Isaac is floaty and loose, your projectiles are weak and don't feel weighty or powerful at all, the music is poor and the sound effects mixed.

I don't know what platform the game was on originally (assuming Steam), but it feels as 'loose' and basic as a flash game. There's very little complexity to any given room. Very little to look forward to other than what enemies will appear. I also don't understand why the game is pixelated - it doesn't look like any old SNES game at all, it just looks like a modern game with a pixel filter on it. If you're not going for a retro look, why pixellate? If they were going retro, I'd say they failed. I strongly dislike the look of this game.

The game also does a pretty poor job of explaining anything. The idea of tons of items is fun, but when it isn't explained what they're actually doing half the time it's hard to remember or enjoy them. More runs will solve this problem, I realise, but it would be nicer if the game gave you just a slightly easier entrance and then it could keep all the secrets it liked.

I don't know, I was expecting a rogue-like dungeon crawler based on Legend of Zelda with puzzles and swords and everything, so I was obviously way off. But even setting those thoughts aside, I'm just not sure there's enough quality here for me, in terms of handling, music, art and sound design. Might just not be for me.

OK, I'm massively hooked, but I'm terrible at this.

18 runs and not made it past the 4th 'level'.

Any tips/guides for a beginner? Or is it just largely dependent on luck and what items you end up with?

There's so much stuff I don't understand, like the arcade, all the different types of doors, the seeds/cards... will I figure it all out naturally or is this the kind of game that almost requires a guide?

kingslunk

Any tips/guides for a beginner? Or is it just largely dependent on luck and what items you end up with?

There's so much stuff I don't understand, like the arcade, all the different types of doors, the seeds/cards... will I figure it all out naturally or is this the kind of game that almost requires a guide?

It's real hard at first. You'll get better. Keep playing :)

SerTapTap

You'll get a feel for the items as you learn, but don't be afraid to use http://platinumgod.co.uk/rebirth if you're feeling stuck. It has spoilers, but the game's so complex at some point you'll give in and use it. I personally feel no shame in using it at all.

Luck IS a strong factor, but generally speaking unless you get the WORST items ever, you'll always be able to get by with pure skill (but it will be really ,really hard by the end if you have effectively no buffs). If you really want to beat the first final boss, you might try restarting if you don't get any damage boosts in the first 2 levels. If you're stuck at the boss itself, ask for tips for that specifically, or watch the fight on youtube, there's some tricks to it.

Focus on not getting hit if you can. You can get some very strong items from Devil Rooms by beating bosses without taking a hit. These can make or break runs pretty easily in some cases. Also, if you're really confused by the arcade, blood machine, etc, you can google how they work, the Binding of Isaac wiki is a bit out of date, but all the basics should be there. IMO you shouldn't just read a huge guide in one sitting though, if one thing in particular is really stumping you, look THAT up. Take it slow, accept a few deaths and learn as you go.

Finalow

already getting trophies bugged which didn't unlock. and I might have missed (also bugged) an ending in this save file.

gg game

G-Bus

Banned
Hooked.

Only put in about 30 hours in the original and I can already tell this will the first game I'll go for all the achievements on.

One question. Items in the bottom left of the screen. How do i use them or what are they for? So confused about thet. I've gotten this match "tastes like burning" or something along those lines and I haven't a clue as to what it does.

Edit: never mind, googled it.

Finalow

question about a boss fight,

Satan 3rd stage. can I know where his fucking legs are going to land? I couldn't see any shadow.

also the Haunt has to be the worst boss to get in the first floor. fuck that shit

Hope they patch these sync errors soon. I use my Vita a lot lately for indie games on the go so it's a bummer that PSV/PS4 sync isn't working.

Hyunkel6

So, there really is no way to keep the items you find during a run? As a matter of fact, is there something you can keep between runs?

It seems a bit harsh that you restart with nothing between each run.

Haunted

So, there really is no way to keep the items you find during a run? As a matter of fact, is there something you can keep between runs?

It seems a bit harsh that you restart with nothing between each run.
916g7mxhv9k144g8ec9e0moqm.500x263x14.gif

Actually, Rebirth introduces
the donation machine in the shops, which allow you to bank some pennies on one run and withdraw it (with bombs) on subsequent runs.

Understanding that retaining items between runs really isn't necessary and you usually get all the tools you need to beat the game during a single run by maximising your effectiveness on every floor is a large part of making the game "click".

SerTapTap

Every run will give me items to beat that run ? Because It doesn't feel that way . I'm a noob, clearly . haha

It's possible, but...incredibly unpleasant and difficult, to beat any game with just basic tears. There's a challenge for that, actually. More realistically, every run should give you at least some reasonable items, in Rebirth I'd estimate that the vast majority of passive items are at least worth picking up now, though there are exceptions and some are far better than others, and some are unfortunately situational.

already getting trophies bugged which didn't unlock. and I might have missed (also bugged) an ending in this save file.

gg game

Patch is coming. I haven't missed and trophies so far though (PS4) so I'm not sure what's up with that

muffs92

Every run will give me items to beat that run ? Because It doesn't feel that way . I'm a noob, clearly . haha

The more you play, the more items you unlock, the more great combinations are possible.

Though sometimes the game will just fuck ya on the first floor.

Keep playing though.

Ferrio

Banned

If you're really good at the game, yes you should almost always be able to beat it. But we're talking about being godlike. For us plebs, sometimes you'll just get handed shit and can't deal with it.

Alfredo

Is there a good item guide on phones? I like to play in bed and don't feel like getting up to my computer every time I wanna check an item. The Platinum God site doesn't seem to work properly on my iPhone. There are two guidebook apps on the App Store, but they're way out of date with no info on Rebirth.

I just started playing not too long ago, and Daddy's Love is the greatest thing ever. Seriously. The thing is amazing!

Also, the Tick is pretty great.

ElTopo

Banned
Unlocked Cain, Magdalene, Samson and Eden. Took me a couple tries to get Samson but lucked out and got two shield items that gave me an instant 1-time shield when I entered a room.

Managed to beat Mom's Heart with Samson. Got a wicked good setup:

2014-11-07_00002_zps1e6dc83a.jpg

SerTapTap

How does (new god room item spoiler)
Breath of Life
work? Or rather...DOES it work? I took plenty of damage and it's listed effect on other sites doesn't seem to work.

How does (new god room item spoiler)
Breath of Life
work? Or rather...DOES it work? I took plenty of damage and it's listed effect on other sites doesn't seem to work.

To quote the Wiki:

When spacebar is held, the charge gradually reduces. When it reaches 0 charge, it deals a half-heart damage ( full heart from womb and beyond! ) every second spacebar is held, effectively granting Isaac "Invincibility" from the periodic damage taken, excluding lasers. (Does only count for distance damage. Enemies runs/jumps into you -> Damage!) Breath of Life does not protect from Curse Room, Sacrifice Room, etc.

Is there any indication for those secret rooms? Any way to pick them out quickly before using a bomb?

Secret rooms are always adjacent to two or more rooms. Super secret rooms are only adjacent to one room.

That's about it. I think a room's wall is disqualified if there's something blocking where the blown hole would go. I'm not 100% on that.

demidar

Yeah, I got that before and couldn't figure it out at all.

If it's the item you're talking about, you can hold down the Use Item button and the item's charge will slowly drain. When it completely drains, you take damage. I don't really understand why that's useful, except for giving yourself a delayed damage invincibility.

I know most of you will disagree with me but until I read this thread I really didn't notice the music. I've been paying extra attention to it my last few runs and I feel that it actually fits the game perfectly.

SerTapTap

To quote the Wiki:

When spacebar is held, the charge gradually reduces. When it reaches 0 charge, it deals a half-heart damage ( full heart from womb and beyond! ) every second spacebar is held, effectively granting Isaac "Invincibility" from the periodic damage taken, excluding lasers. (Does only count for distance damage. Enemies runs/jumps into you -> Damage!) Breath of Life does not protect from Curse Room, Sacrifice Room, etc.

I read that but still don't understand.
I guess all it really does is hurt me to activate invincibility frames, and only after the time runs out?
Seems of incredibly limited and situational use if so

Top Bottom