• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Messiek

It's kinda fun seeing you guys talk about
D6 or Satan
, i've beat the game twice and have no idea what is that. I can't wait to find out all this things : )

SerTapTap

Okay, thanks. I was wondering because there are only 343 slots on the collection page.

@Sir Tap Tap, do you mean each floor is harder or each play? If each play, what makes it harder?

It is just people here, veterans and new, are beating the game frequently, it seems. I remember old threads for the PC one where wins were few are far between, for many. Many taking around 100+ attempts just to beat the game.

The game is progressively difficult. The first time you "win" is about 100x easier than later "win" conditions. To not spoil too much, there are "end" bosses and floors you're probably not even aware of yet. Possibly some new ones in Rebirth too, I haven't gotten past any content I haven't in BoI yet (though I beat Satan for my first time last night--yeah I suck)

Also don't forget that most people steamrolling Rebirth have literally hundreds or even thousands of hours of BoI under their belt. Rebirth is different, but most of the skills transfer over. Two biggest things are probably dodging/movement and knowledge of items. All dodging skills transfer to rebirth, and about 75% of knowledge passes over (most returning items are the same, just NOT BUGGED with minor tweaks or nerfs)

Got the D6! Awwwwww yeah! Thank you, Ipecac.

I keep wanting to play azazel but I really should unlock D6 first I guess

d00d3n

I have a kind of spoilery question about requirements for doing the extra endings if someone is nice enough to answer:
Do you sidestep the requirement to beat mom's heart nine times and the more powerful heart to always move on to endgame if you use a devil's room to bypass the requirement and beat satan? I just did this, and the picture for my save file changed from a split heart with small x marks for every time you beat it to satan inside a frame.

SerTapTap

Oh BTW, without spoiling specifics, is there any new story content in Rebirth? There are some unanswered questions in BoI (ending/general spoilers)
such did isaac become ??? after crawling in the chest? Is his mom trying to kill him/thinks he's corrupt because he's a crossdresser?
and I actually really enjoy the way the story is revealed in weird bits and pieces, but at the same time I'm sure many questions are supposed to be unanswered.

Was having a great run, but i had no idea how to fight
Mama Gurdy
and died :(

I was lucky enough to have the horse thingy that gives permanent flight during that. I can't see how the fuck I would have done it otherwise. lol
Also that fight caused significant slowdown on my Vita.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Just got to and beat the
Boss Rush
for the first time!

too bad it was in a challenge

I'm loving the Challenge stages too!

I can now see why people spend so much time playing this. Each run is so unique from the other that is feels like a new experience. Then you have challenge modes, all the different characters with unique feel to their playthroughs and god ... all those damn secrets. Hundreds!

Flunkie

Banned
Just got to and beat the
Boss Rush
for the first time!

too bad it was in a challenge
See yeah, I got laughed at for saying the challenges are easier than the base game for getting past Mom and that part, but it really is the only way to guarantee that you get a badass loadout.... Can anyone shed some clarity on this?

Ugh it is so frustrating when you don't seem to get good RNG no matter what.
What do you mean, at what part? I see people saying this left and right. Are you referring to a certain part of just in general?

This has to have been my most broken run yet. Ability to create flies with every shot and a Brimstone attack, every death of an enemy creates spiders...jesus. I killed the boss in like... .02 seconds.

Sendou

What do you mean, at what part? I see people saying this left and right. Are you referring to a certain part of just in general?

What I mean is that just about everything in this game is based on luck and when you get many unusable builds in row it gets annoying. It's not really a certain part but just overall. Lots of hard rooms and bad items.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I also wish items used carried over to other playthroughts instead of just showing ???
You mean the pills? They're random each time. So don't think that Yellow Health +1 pill does the same thing. Could give you gas, or worse, make you believe in wizards.

d00d3n

I have a kind of spoilery question about requirements for doing the extra endings if someone is nice enough to answer:
Do you sidestep the requirement to beat mom's heart nine times and the more powerful heart to always move on to endgame if you use a devil's room to bypass the requirement and beat satan? I just did this, and the picture for my save file changed from a split heart with small x marks for every time you beat it to satan inside a frame.

To answer my own question, the answer seems to be "nope". You still have to fulfill the requirement.

L00P

Anti-gravity tears+ Brimstone is amazing. It creates a black hole and then fires a laser. You can put up multiple damaging black holes at once when you have a short charge time

So does anyone know what the Alt+F2 fix in the stats menu actually does? It seems like I got a large portion of my stats back but I didn't get my mom wins or anything back.

if you don't know what I'm talking about it Tyrone talks about it in this reddit post

Beat Mom on my first PS4 run with a pretty dull run that I can't remember the specifics of. I then beat Mom on my first PS Vita run with Technology, Number One and Hook Worm which was pretty fun.

Afrodium

Banned
Just went to Sheol for the first time with what I thought was a pretty OP Azazel build. I had 10 soul hearts/black hearts when I started, and just a few room later was down to two. Sheol is hard. Luckily the boss room was pretty close to the beginning so I decided I'd give
Satan
a shot - and I ALMOST beat him! If I could have survived for like one more second I would have had it, unless he has multiple forms.
I had already beaten the phase that's pretty similar to The Fallen and was fighting the big beefy Satan when I died. I assume that's the end.

d00d3n

Just went to Sheol for the first time with what I thought was a pretty OP Azazel build. I had 10 soul hearts/black hearts when I started, and just a few room later was down to two. Sheol is hard. Luckily the boss room was pretty close to the beginning so I decided I'd give
Satan
a shot - and I ALMOST beat him! If I could have survived for like one more second I would have had it, unless he has multiple forms.
I had already beaten the phase that's pretty similar to The Fallen and was fighting the big beefy Satan when I died. I assume that's the end.

Has more forms than that, sadly. The last form is the most difficult and unpredictable ... :(

On the subject of Cain:

I hated the nerf. Nerfed Lucky Foot means you no longer can swallow pills like popcorn, and yet your damage is also the same as Isaac now. Between choosing a heart container and luck with slot machines, I know which I want.

About Brimstone:

Brimstone feels even MORE overpowered now: You nearly shoot at twice as fast as the vanilla BoI and the both times I had it, I nearly won. Actually, I think I beat Mom for the first time using Brimstone.

General opinion about changes to existing stuff:

Wish there were enemies unique to 2x1 and/or 2x2 rooms. Sigh. I like the buffed bosses (even Mom is way harder now) but I dislike the character nerfs. Here's to hoping Maggy is better, haven't unlocked her yet. The smooth room transitions is a double-edged sword: It's great, especially for backtracking, but at the same time it's maddening when two spiders jump at you the moment you enter the room.

kingslunk

Just got the best rolls of my life.

Beat both mom and mom's heart without getting hit once

Never do I get lucky like that with item rolls.

Yaari

Do you guys always use pills, they seem to screw me over each time. Not sure if it is the best idea to use them at all

Finalow

the item D10 or whatever, which lets you reroll enemies, is actually pretty shit.

I had it for 2 runs and every single time that I used it I always got harder enemies. you get enemies from utero/womb for rerolling enemies in the basement 1, what the hell game?

On the subject of Cain:
yeah that nerf was dumb imo. Cain is pretty awful now.

I'm at the point of using only Azazel, flight since level 1 is just too good. I'll use others when I unlock the last levels I guess.

Yeah, so Dark Bum definitely got nerfed. :(

Now it takes at least 1.5 hearts to get 1 soul heart, but I've had him absorb at least 2 full hearts and give me nothing.

The good news is that Azazel definitely can have his range upgraded now. It's not a ton (unless you get a lot of range-boosting items) but it helps avoid explosives.

Finalow

rip Dark Bum. :_(

how do you unlock Judas in this version?
you have to kill
Satan.

Do you guys always use pills, they seem to screw me over each time. Not sure if it is the best idea to use them at all
the only one I don't use unless I know it's positive is the health one. for the rest, if it's not a positive effect usually it's not a big problem. it's better to use it since if you get more than a positive one during a single run you can get some pretty big buffs.

Got soooo close to killing the Devil... is his form where he attacks you with giant hooves like Mom his last form?

Damnit.
yeah that's his last form.

Ps4 related question but does anyone have the map start moving on its own while playing? maybe its a touch pad issue I dont know but I cant play it on ps4 because the map will enlarge its self while I'm exploring and block my view

Zeth

Spoilers feel weird for this game, lol.

Just made it to Satan for my first time - that was a blast. He stomped me with those giant hooves - how many more phases are left after that? Thought it was the second or third.

edit: wow - answered earlier on this page, pardon my excitement :p I love this game.

Celegus

Made it to the Cathedral for the first time ever and almost killed
Isaac
, then Sheol for the first time the run right after and almost took down
Satan (3/4 down on the 3rd form)
. At least I'll be more prepared for next time. Too bad range up doesn't benefit Azazel, I had my damage maxed and kept finding range up pills.

Not sure if you have a higher chance of getting to them in Rebirth, but I never once saw either place in the original game and beat Mom's Heart 9 times. Do you guys head straight to the boss room or is it worth it at all to explore?

jblank83

279651C19C2A0DB7A63681DCC63BE2DB1322E30B

Look at this.

Look at it.

Proptosis + Sacred Heart

theytookourjobz

Anyone know when the patch to fix the sync issues is going up? Been playing on PS4 and would love to pick it up on Vita but I don't want to get my data erased.

Top Bottom