• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

I have been playing on hard mode since launch, and I'm having some difficulties cause of the low drop rate. Thing is, it doesn't look like there's any benefit from playing Hard Mode, as I am not getting any "extra" unlock. Did they remove the Hard Mode unlocks? If so, I'll just stick to Normal and probably be a bit less frustrated overall.

I really didn't saw this coming but this might be a serious contender for my GOTY.

I'm kinda in the middle ground when it comes to the whole ''indie boom'' or whatever you want to call it. I love just the sheer amount of releases PSN for example sees and the wide pricing range of games but honestly it feels overwhelming when I already have a huge backlog of ''AAA'' games and my library just gets absolutely flooded by indies via some ridicilously cheap PC bundles or PS+ nowdays. Usually the games themselves are pretty good even but they just lack that certain hook for me to give them much thought if I don't see the value in it after like 10 minutes of play. The sheer amount is so intimidating that I usually dare not even start the games unless I know it has at least some kind of following like Hotline Miami and this.

You might say I actually have a bad prejudice of sorts when it comes to indies similar to what some people think about every FPS being too samey. Usually when I start some indie game like Mercenary Kings for example I get so sick so fast when I see the ''same old pixel art'' (that actually is not bad at all) and it just for whatever reason starts to feel like every indie ever when they try to emulate that feeling of whatever retro era games. And I totally get why they do it. Most of the indie games I have played unfortunately haven't been anything special so I kinda have been ''avoiding'' them unless I can specifically play them on Vita. With Mercenary Kings for example there might be a true gem of a game somewhere in there but it didn't hook me in the first 10 minutes so I just shut it off and never gave it a proper chance.

This one however just gives the hook immediately. The game has zero bullshit or downtime and it just keeps getting more hectic every time you clear a floor and one complete playtrough doesn't take too long at all. Sometimes I might be in the unfortunate ''indie games ain't games'' mode or whatever but games like this remind me to appreciate the state of things. I have been semi salty on the recent PS+ offerings since I have been hoping for at least a few interesting retail games after E3-Gamescom no news and DCPS+ delay but this one makes it all worthwhile.

Ferrio

Banned
Unlocked the D6. Had a dark beggar and found 2 super secret red heart rooms, Dark Bum's best day ever.

I have been playing on hard mode since launch, and I'm having some difficulties cause of the low drop rate. Thing is, it doesn't look like there's any benefit from playing Hard Mode, as I am not getting any "extra" unlock. Did they remove the Hard Mode unlocks? If so, I'll just stick to Normal and probably be a bit less frustrated overall.

I know it records various milestones on hard mode, not sure if it unlocks additional stuff.

Rubius

Something I wondered about, I know picking up the Dead Cat drops you to 1 health, but if you have a lot of other types of hearts already, do those get removed as well? Was in the womb with azazel, had like 3 hearts, 4 dark hearts, and 3 soul hearts at the time, kind of "noped" when I got one to spawn out of a gold chest, figuring I was having a good run(did, first time I ever saw the Cathedral, had a bible on me for It Lives, then finished it after never seeing it or that boss before), but I figure one of those achievements is going to be getting the three guppy items in one run, and that was the third I'd seen...

9 lives remove all your red hearts and give you one. Which mean that if you are at 0 red heart and full of soul heart, you will simply gain one red heart and 9 lives. It does not touch your other hearts.

Edmund did say on his tumblr that Hard mode will have some exclusive items and things. Dont know if he kept it that way.

desverger

I played a good amount of the original Binding of Isaac. Really thinking about buying this if it really has a lot more content.

It really does! I'm the same and picking this up was a no brainer to me.

Lots of the old stuff has also been fixed and made usable, so it's pretty fun discovering that stuff as well.

Finalow

what were the best items for ??? again?
I remember that there is an item that activates every time ??? gets hit, while in normal circumstances it would activate at 1/2 heart. anyone remember how's called?

BTW, I finally got bandage girl's fourth form.
never got more than one.

also I still have to complete the fucking meat boy. even with the book I never got 4 cubes.

Ferrio

Banned
what were the best items for ??? again?
I remember that there is an item that activates every time ??? gets hit, while in normal circumstances it would activate at 1/2 heart. anyone remember how's called?

You thinking about the polaroid? Gives you a shield eveytime you get hit if you're at 1 red heart or less. So it always activates on blue baby.

Finalow

they actually finished all the Lost achievements on cobalt stream in just one day or so. did not expect that.

You thinking about the polaroid? Gives you a shield eveytime you get hit if you're at 1 red heart or less. So it always activates on blue baby.
uh yeah, might be that.

Grief.exe

Two Guppy runs in a row.

The second run was with Eve, and was the perfect risk/reward payout. Hovering around one regular heart the entire game, capitalizing on Whore of Babylon, and waiting for the last Guppy item to show up.

CassSept

Yeah I really like the excitement that goes with trying to collect Guppy. It's quite fun and it pays off so well if you manage to grab the three items!

I played a good amount of the original Binding of Isaac. Really thinking about buying this if it really has a lot more content.

Did you play Wrath of Lamb? If yes, then yes, buy it. If no, then OH YES, BUY IT!

SamVimes

Is there a way to get ball of bandage over cube of meat and viceversa? I had a run today in which i got a book of revelation on the first floor and the first horseman fight gave me a cube of meat, the other 3 gave me the ball of bandage.

Is there something I'm missing here? There seems to be no context or story for this game whatsoever, just random rouge like dungeon crawling. I played the original about a year ago but I don't remember all the details. Why is there no story here?

Croyles

Anyone know exactly how Samson works now? I can't seem to figure it out.

I got Gold God or whatever its called and killed
Mega Satan
. Been real fun so far.

Sciz

Super-endgame spoilers:
Do you seriously not get anything for killing Mega Satan besides another ending? Because that is a ridiculous fight.

epmode

Do you guys play on Hard? Normal seems pretty easy, honestly. But I guess I haven't played much. I've only beaten the heart and I suppose the game gets harder with the more stuff you unlock.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Is there any way to avoid the terrible "upgrades?" I've been on the Depths II multiple times and get hit with awful items that completely handicap my shooting ability, wasting the entire run.

Everything else is great, but the lack of explanation of what certain items do is sure annoying.

Ferrio

Banned
Also, after you already unlock the rewards for beating them, do any of you bother with the boss rush rooms?

Good rule with pills is if you find multiple of the same kind on a floor try it, cause if it's a good one you have multiple you can use.

SamVimes

Good pills are also stronger than bad pills. If you get a tear up pill and a tear down pill you're still ahead, so on average eating pills is the better choice unless you feel that a downgrade would really fuck you up.

ThisOne

Still can't top Spelunky for me, but it's definitely up there. I did finally close Spelunky on my Vita to play this, that almost never happens.
Agreed. I think Spelunky is a little tighter and more rewarding. This game is a little more random and loosey goosey but still a lot of fun.

By the way, what's up with the rooms with nothing but a single tile of spikes in them?

Ferrio

Banned
Agreed. I think Spelunky is a little tighter and more rewarding. This game is a little more random and loosey goosey but still a lot of fun.

By the way, what's up with the rooms with nothing but a single tile of spikes in them?

Sacrifice rooms. Damage yourself on the spikes and there's a chance a chest will drop. Usually fairly useless unless you're really hard up for a key/bomb or something.

As above, just use http://platinumgod.co.uk/ to check out items, but yes those should cost you an actual heart container. Mine weren't worth it, they were pretty normal shop items, but costed actual hearts. Also I think the trap door there sends you to the next level.

None of the 5 items on offer are listed there.
They're hard to describe but there's a fat blue fly with fangs, a sort of pouch on a belt, a rectangular beige box thing with an orange oval on the front, an indescribable blue thing and an empty squarish bottle.

I can't find these items on any Isaac site at all!

Edit: I'm trying to take a screenshot and e-mail it to myself but the e-mail's not coming through. Looks like I'm just going to have to take my chances.

one85x

None of the 5 items on offer are listed there.
They're hard to describe but there's a fat blue fly with fangs, a sort of pouch on a belt, a rectangular beige box thing with an orange oval on the front, an indescribable blue thing and an empty squarish bottle.

I can't find these items on any Isaac site at all!

Edit: I'm trying to take a screenshot and e-mail it to myself but the e-mail's not coming through. Looks like I'm just going to have to take my chances.
Are you filtering for Rebirth at the top left? The items you described are definitely on there. The first one is Hive Mind, the second is Fanny Pack, and the last one is The Jar.

I disagree about Spelunky. Spelunky is one of my favorite games, but there are times where the game is a lot more unfair and "loose" in the randomness; times where you enter a level and something triggers the shop keep before you've even had a chance to move. Even the worst randomness in isaac is still winnable, look at people like CobaltStreak with win streaks that last hundreds of games.

Isaac is also very rewarding, especially once you have to fight
the final, final, final
boss,
the game adds difficulty
, and
the d6
. The last one adds so much depth the game, because it becomes a game where exploration is a resource and you have to guess, within the framework of the game, how many of the items will work together
because you get the option to reroll them
. Like
magnetic shots
and
monstro's lung
works against you in such an interesting and unique way. I could have figured it out if I had a better understanding of the game and items and thought critically before I took one or the other.

Also, those spike rooms
have a random chance of dropping a chest each time you run over them
.\

Edit:
Is there something I'm missing here? There seems to be no context or story for this game whatsoever, just random rouge like dungeon crawling. I played the original about a year ago but I don't remember all the details. Why is there no story here?
Spoiler Alerts Abound!
The story is very nuanced. You have the opening sequence and the endings, but most of the story comes out through the items you find.
Dad's key
for example, tells an interesting story. It was
the only thing his dad left (the only thing in the original game that is associated with his father. It allows him to exit rooms without defeating enemies, as though it makes him feel safe, or whatever.
The game isn't in-your-face about the story, it's told through gameplay and items so you can draw your own conclusion.

This is some interesting speculation, not sure if I agree with every conclusion drawn:
http://i.imgur.com/Ucwvi.jpg

ThisOne

I do agree that Isaac is much better than Spelunky in terms of item variety and strategies they open up. I think Spelunky is just designed so well and controls so well that I rarely feel like the game is unfair. Except for shop keepers getting triggered right when I enter a level haha

David___

Banned
Also, after you already unlock the rewards for beating them, do any of you bother with the boss rush rooms?

Depends. If I'm already stupidly OP and there's an item I want, then I do it. Otherwise no unless one of the items can change my run for the better like Dark Bum.

Grinchy

Banned
I totally cheesed Mom's heart earlier. I just made myself a statue and let my friends do all the work. It was taking a while so I went and made some food and just AFK'd the whole fight haha.

[BEAT MOMS HEART OHHHH YEAH

Did it with Controlled Tears too lol. Sometimes felt like trying to rub circles on your belly while tapping your head. But I freaking did it finally.

Oh and my new game shows me a message

" what a terrible night to have a curse! "

Oh BOI how I love thee

BigAT

Was there any reason given why they didn't go with DannyB for the soundtrack? I like aspects of the new one, but I'm really not a fan of what they did for Depths and I'm pretty sure I still prefer the original by a decent margin.

Was there any reason given why they didn't go with DannyB for the soundtrack? I like aspects of the new one, but I'm really not a fan of what they did for Depths and I'm pretty sure I still prefer the original by a decent margin.

Yes, DannyB and Edmund had a falling out over creative differences regarding the music in Mewgenics. Edmund didn't like a track Danny made and Danny got offended.

Personally, I like the new music a lot better. I never liked the style of music in the original.

Top Bottom