• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

To be fair, with how op Azazel is it doesn't really sound like that much of a sacrifice.

Yeah, I kinda wonder if that's why his is lategame and the others are mostly early game. Still, mullibooms are friggin rare. 3 cellar runs with Isaac and I didn't see one yet. Don't think they even appear in Basement.

How'd they find this out anyway? I didn't see any sort of indication I had done something extra special when I did the Maggy part.

Sciz

I've beaten Mom and want to move on to the deeper parts of the game, anyone recommend any guides or wikis that can get me in the right direction?

Keep beating the game. There are ways to go deeper early, but permanently unlocking the endgame is just a matter of clearing the game enough. Take the opportunity to clear what you can access for now on as many different characters as you can to unlock stuff.

Finalow

FUCKING hate this game.

I just arrived at Satan with Azazel and I picked up the shit that makes you live again as Lazarus, died anyway at the second form but The Lost didn't unlock.

why did I pick that up, jesus christ. 1 hour wasted.

baconcow

Wish the item collection at least had names and descriptions. When I pick up an item, in game, I barely have time to read the name and description before it disappears.

Jindrael

Banned
Is that unlock list for
The Lost
legit? Confirmed by anyone in here? I went and did the Maggie part just in case, but the others are going to require a lot more time put in (and sacrificing a solid Azazel run to boot...)

It's legit I unlocked
The Lost
right after the method was found.
But the Death need to be consecutive and in Order, meaning 1. Isaac/Basement/Mulliboom 2. Maggie/Own Bomb/Caves 3. Judas/Moms Foot/Depth 4. Azazel/Satan 2nd Form/Sheol.
If for any reason you screw up after the first step you need to start over with Isaac.

Puru

Is that unlock list for
The Lost
legit? Confirmed by anyone in here? I went and did the Maggie part just in case, but the others are going to require a lot more time put in (and sacrificing a solid Azazel run to boot...)

Yeah i unlocked him on my Vita yesterday, but i probably won't use him until they fix some stuff.
Also got Mama's boy doing so, all is good.

baconcow

It's like an inverse bell curve for me. I use them when I'm feeling good and I use them when I'm extremely desperate, but never in the middle.

I ate something and it made my character
fart
. I have no idea if that was a good or bad effect, but it didn't remove my hearts.

Finalow

ok, I did it following those rules. didn't unlock the Lost.

WHY

WHY GAME

I wasted 3 hours doing that shit.

gg I'm done

If for any reason you screw up after the first step you need to start over with Isaac.
holy fuck is this for real. I screwed up at the Satan fight because I had an item that made me resurrect as another character. so that's why it didn't unlock after I did it properly the second time? How does that even make sense. fuck this game and that shit
I have to start over from Isaac? Took me 40 tries to find those enemies in the first level. no fucking way that I'm doing all of that again.

Novocaine

What do you guys do with pills? Eat them or ignore?

Always eat, unless I know it's bad.

I hope the Vita patch comes soon, I want to be able to sync my PS4 save so I can continue at work tonight.

I obliterated Satan with ??? earlier, felt so good. Most of my time with ??? in the original game was me raging because I got lil' Chubby every other time I did a run. I uploaded a clip of it. Obvious spoilers http://youtu.be/D8xNCFtx_XA

I've eaten every ??? pill I've come across(hundreds), and I've literally gotten Tear down, Health down or Bad Trip only around a handful of times. Most likely they are either map revealers or something innocuous I've found.

Sciz

I've eaten every ??? pill I've come across(hundreds), and I've literally gotten Tear down, Health down or Bad Trip only around a handful of times. Most likely they are either map revealers or something innocuous I've found.

Lucky devil. On more than one occasion I've run across a supply of four or five pills and every single one of them was something unpleasant.

The PhD can't be valued highly enough.

Jindrael

Banned
holy fuck is this for real. I screwed up at the Satan fight because I had an item that made me resurrect as another character. so that's why it didn't unlock after I did it properly the second time? How does that even make sense. fuck this game and that shit
I have to start over from Isaac? Took me 40 tries to find those enemies in the first level. no fucking way that I'm doing all of that again.

Ugh, Sorry about that experience, had to do the whole thing twice too because I thought mulligoons were okay too, did everything correctly up till Azazel but no unlock, after that with the Mullibooms it worked.
Yep the deaths need to be in a row without any stuff happening in between.

I still don't know if exiting out of a bad run and starting a new one would break the sequence aswell, to be sure just do everything in order in one go.

Almost unlocked the dark room and the chest (i try to do it with different character to unlock maximum things at once!)

three more run to go!

BigAT

Is there any reasoning behind the method of unlocking
The Lost
? How did people discover it? I'm curious if it was just random or if there are hints about it in the game, considering how specific it is.

God damnit I had a really good run and was in the floor with Mom's Heart and suddenly the game went to a neverending load screen for no reason. I wonder if the patch being up was the cause...

I bet I won't be able to continue :(

SerTapTap

Is there a trick to dodging the blood laser from (new boss)
The Gate
? Just keep moving or what?

It's legit I unlocked
The Lost
right after the method was found.
But the Death need to be consecutive and in Order, meaning 1. Isaac/Basement/Mulliboom 2. Maggie/Own Bomb/Caves 3. Judas/Moms Foot/Depth 4. Azazel/Satan 2nd Form/Sheol.

In order?! Holy shit. Can I die in other ways between any 2 steps if it's not an unlock condition?

If any boss needed updates it was Mask of Infamy. Still the worst boss in the game from a basic design perspective.

I'm glad I've only run into it on Azazel runs. He's a complete joke vs Azazel. With normal tears though...fuck that boss. The normal masks are annoying enough.

Finalow

Ugh, Sorry about that experience, had to do the whole thing twice too because I thought mulligoons were okay too, did everything correctly up till Azazel but no unlock, after that with the Mullibooms it worked.
Yep the deaths need to be in a row without any stuff happening in between.

I still don't know if exiting out of a bad run and starting a new one would break the sequence aswell, to be sure just do everything in order in one go.
wait, you have to do them in order without dying in any other way?

I mean, let's say I die with Isaac from Mullibooms, then I start with Maggie but I die from a boss or I don't get the caves at all. or even I do those 2 right but I die with Judas before reaching Mom. do I have to start again if any of that happens?

Sciz

Is there any reasoning behind the method of unlocking
The Lost
? How did people discover it? I'm curious if it was just random or if there are hints about it in the game, considering how specific it is.

Yes.

The actual discovery came about via datamining, before people could piece all the hints together.

Jindrael

Banned
In order?! Holy shit. Can I die in other ways between any 2 steps if it's not an unlock condition?

wait, you have to do them in order without dying in any other way?

I mean, let's say I die with Isaac from Mullibooms, then I start with Maggie but I die from a boss or I don't get the caves at all. or even I do those 2 right but I die with Judas before reaching Mom. do I have to start again if any of that happens?

Yep, needs to be in order and you are not allowed to die in between due to any other reasons.
Isaac part -> Maggie part -> Judas part -> Azazel part in this order.
An example you do the Isaac part and die with Maggie to Basement II boss, you need to go back to step one and do the Isaac part.

I've heard that it's possible to reset a run but I myself did it without reseting so I can't confirm.

Novocaine

God damnit I had a really good run and was in the floor with Mom's Heart and suddenly the game went to a neverending load screen for no reason. I wonder if the patch being up was the cause...

I bet I won't be able to continue :(

Yeah you will be able to continue. It's happened to me a few times.

Grief.exe

I'm glad I've only run into it on Azazel runs. He's a complete joke vs Azazel. With normal tears though...fuck that boss. The normal masks are annoying enough.

I actually figured out the best way to beat the Mask of Infamy boss. Just stay at maximum range and exploit the fact that damage to the side of the mask injures him.

Previously, I would just have the same strategy as with Knights. Just try to get behind them and do damage, but that would not really work on this boss.

SerTapTap

so, what do we unlock once we gave 999 coins to the machine in the shops?

Just search http://platinumgod.co.uk/ for "donating" to see the unlockable pickups. Not sure at what points the store upgrades, I only have level 2 store.

Yep, needs to be in order and you are not allowed to die in between due to any other reasons.
An example you do the Isaac part and die with Maggie to Basement II boss, you need to go back to step one and do the Isaac part.

I've heard that it's possible to reset a run but I myself did it without reseting so I can't confirm.

Ugh. Well, at least they designed it so the first run is the only one 100% dependent on RNG.

Mikey Jr.

I just beat Satan with probably the most overpowered character ever.

-Had ability to fly
-Constant stream of ally spiders
-99 bombs
-Maximum hearts, most of which were dark hearts
-My aim turned into a huge circle in the middle of the screen that I could control. Anything that got into the circle was nearly instantly decimated. I beat mom, no joke, in under 5 seconds.
-Also had the ability to see all secret rooms

Took a pic of it plus the seed if anyone is interested.

This game is wayyyyy too good! My goodness.

I thought my weekend was going to be spent taking advantage of Double XP in COD but fuck that...Isaac has taken over my weekend and possibly my life.

I am in love with this game. Would have EASILY paid for this game if it wasn't on PS+

Finalow

oh yeah I also read how it works on reddit just now.

basically it's works like you wrote and you can reset a run if it doesn't go well, so I guess it's easier with that. however, how do I reset a run on PS4? And I'm reading "must be done in one game session" so I'm assuming if you exit from the game the whole thing gets a reset?

I'm not going to try again anytime soon, fuck that shit, wasting 3 hours was enough. still at least now I know that I had no idea how to do it properly.

SerTapTap

Took on the boss rush for the first time. That was a ton of fun.

Regarding the boss rush, I'm a little disapointed that it
is the same bosses, in order, every time
. It was a lot of fun the first time, but now I mostly just peek in to see if any items are really worth 10-20 minutes of bosses. Any unlocks for doing it multiple times though?

Sciz

Regarding the boss rush, I'm a little disapointed that it
is the same bosses, in order, every time
. It was a lot of fun the first time, but now I mostly just peek in to see if any items are really worth 10-20 minutes of bosses. Any unlocks for doing it multiple times though?

I imagine every character has an unlock tied to it like all the other tracked kills.

Finally reached Sheol and proceeded to beat Satan. Picking Daddy Longlegs on the very first floor helped a lot, that's a very powerful item.

OTOH, I had an item that teleported me out of a room after losing one or two hearts. No idea what that was but it made everything more complicated.

Zeth

Beat Satan for my first and second time with Isaac and Az.

Is there ever any reason to open the big gold chest rather than taking the trap door in the devil room (after mom's heart I think)? Is it required to unlock endings or is that not yet? edit: wait I might be confused

Just search http://platinumgod.co.uk/ for "donating" to see the unlockable pickups. Not sure at what points the store upgrades, I only have level 2 store.

Oh man thanks for this link. I've been using the Gamepedia page which is a nightmare to navigate in comparison - and usually requires 4 tabs opened up.

Ok so I'm having my best run ever and I've made it to utero so far. A trap door opened in a room and I went down some ladders into a long room with 5 items laid out in a horizontal line. Each has a heart in front of it.
Does that mean each will cost me a heart? I can't find any info on these items on the wiki or anywhere so I don't know if any of them are worth it?

SerTapTap

Beat Satan for my first and second time with Isaac and Az.

Is there ever any reason to open the big gold chest rather than taking the trap door in the devil room (after mom's heart I think)? Is it required to unlock endings or is that not yet? edit: wait I might be confused

Oh man thanks for this link. I've been using the Gamepedia page which is a nightmare to navigate in comparison - and usually requires 4 tabs opened up.

No, just go to the trap door/shaft of light. You'll get the reward/ending for killing Mom's Heart even if you go down a level. You lose nothing (except potentially a win streak) by continuing instead of opening the chest.

The wikis are great for learning mechanics. For items, definitely use plat god.

Ok so I'm having my best run ever and I've made it to utero so far. A trap door opened in a room and I went down some ladders into a long room with 5 items laid out in a horizontal line. Each has a heart in front of it.
Does that mean each will cost me a heart? I can't find any info on these items on the wiki or anywhere so I don't know if any of them are worth it?

As above, just use http://platinumgod.co.uk/ to check out items, but yes those should cost you an actual heart container. Mine weren't worth it, they were pretty normal shop items, but costed actual hearts. Also I think the trap door there sends you to the next level.

Fireblend

Banned
Yay, I've beaten Mom's Heart 3 times thus far. I'm still salty about the early Sheol run I managed to screw up despite being hugely OP, but whatever, getting there the regular way will be fun too.

Man, I can't believe I missed out on this game when it was first released.

Azazel is remarkably OP. The boss in the eighth stage of the game rocks! It's been buffed remarkably well.

I got the Joker right in
Womb II and that brought me to an Angel room, from which I went to the Cathedral. Managed to take around 1/3 of Isaac's health, but died. Was still pretty fun.

Went for the trophy to kill Satan with Isaac. At some point for some reason my character changed to ??? and didn't even notice until the load screen. Welp, got another trophy for killing Satan with ??? anyway.

Just got a 500mb update on PS4.

Weirdly I also got a 5GB update for Pinball Arcade along with numerous updates for other "PSN" games. What gives? I rebuilt my database earlier (just for fun really...) could this be related? Is the BoI patch coincidence? WHAT IS GOING ON?

DrM

Redmond's Baby
This game is pure drug... when you die you just say 'one more try' and bam, 3 hours are gone

Made it to the
Womb for the first time, just to be killed by that big blind meatbag with lasers

Ferrio

Banned
This game is pure drug... when you die you just say 'one more try' and bam, 3 hours are gone

Made it to the
Womb for the first time, just to be killed by that big blind meatbag with lasers

The bloat is a bitch.

So did Cobalt/Richard beat the game with lost? Don't see them playing him right now.

Top Bottom