• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Ferrio

Banned
Question: do you have to beat the game (beat Mom's Heart) with every single character to get the photograph? Because I'm having a hard time with Judas.

No, you have to beat isaac/devil like six times each for the polaroid/negative respectively. Can be done with any char.

Raab

Neo Member
I've been seeing this thread title for a while...thought it was referring to the Pink Floyd song Atom Heart Mother :(
or is it somehow?

Mom is barely the beginning of the game. Do whatever you want but it's like tackling the VR missions in MGS2 after beating the Tanker level.

Oh ok. Thanks. Sort of figured that out later when I saw all of the stuff I unlocked. Getting a little better at it I think.

TUPx5uY.png

I forgot to screenshot this until much later but the very first item I picked up on this run as Azazel was Lil' Brimstone. GFG.

Chesskid1

Banned
how the heck do you get a bloody penny (drops reds hearts when you pick up a penny)

i wanna use it to abuse blood donation machines, loved seeing people do it in the first game

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Fuck me. Picked up Dead Cat for the first time late in a great run. It totally fucked me hard.

Also, I do not recommend getting fire tears with Soy Milk and the AoE splash damage upgrade (forgot what it was called). Ultimate lag generator.

Practice makes perfect, everybody is terrible at first.

Yeah, I guess. Those little meat dudes and the wall spiders are the bane of my existence, though.

DryvBy

I maybe put 10 minutes in the original on PC. I put in 15 minutes when I first loaded it on PS4. I called this a crappy flash game.

I dunno what happened but this weekend, I actually had fun playing this. It finally clicked with me. I guess it just depends on the run of bosses and gear you have. Glad I got this on Plus or else I'd have skipped it.

red731

Tell that to nearly everyone, everywhere, involving any activity...

"I can't be best first time I am playing bowling/making clay vase/....., screw this!"
-just a general rant

Works ends, Isaac begins...

ElTopo

Banned
No, you have to beat isaac/devil like six times each for the polaroid/negative respectively. Can be done with any char.

So, gotta' beat it 4 more times at least? Played as Isaac and beat Mom's heart for the first time with him but wasn't allowed to progress further into Sheol.

So, gotta' beat it 4 more times at least? Played as Isaac and beat Mom's heart for the first time with him but wasn't allowed to progress further into Sheol.

when you beat mom's heart eleven time, it transforms into "it lives" and then you always have access to sheol and cathedral

Im in front of the dark room's boss. First time I got there. I got mom's knife, guppy's head and a lot of dmg up.
I also got 1hp and guppy's collar.

I'm going to get wrecked, but if someone else wants to try: FRBH E8AX

Oh god I made it, thanks based mask of infamy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
TUPx5uY.png

I forgot to screenshot this until much later but the very first item I picked up on this run as Azazel was Lil' Brimstone. GFG.
By the way, I've been meaning to ask, but what is the point of this room? I see it all the time with a single spike block in the middle and sometimes hearts and don't know what I'm supposed to do here.

Tainted

By the way, I've been meaning to ask, but what is the point of this room? I see it all the time with a single spike block in the middle and sometimes hearts and don't know what I'm supposed to do here.

It's a sacrifice room....it rewards you after x number of times you run over the spikes sacrificing your health. Think of it like the beggar, but you are sacrificing health instead of money

jonno394

Used an annoying pill/tarot card that had me "find whatever I'd lost" so every time I got hit I got teleported to a room with a heart. Was annoying during boss battles as every time I'd get hit I'd be warped out to a room with a heart and had to start the battle a fresh. Worst thing was, the heart was unreachable to me......yeah restart that shit.

Mr. Virus

IsaacGAF, I'm so terrible at this game, halp. :(

I ended up watching quite a few streams/Let Plays of the original to see how the game worked before buying it. Spoiled a few things but let me jump in with a fair degree of strategy/knowledge to get decent runs from the off. NorthernLion's are a good shout in that regard, found his videos to be fairly beginner friendly.

Other than that, just keep playing ha ha.

Tainted

I ended up watching quite a few streams/Let Plays of the original to see how the game worked before buying it. Spoiled a few things but let me jump in with a fair degree of strategy/knowledge to get decent runs from the off. NorthernLion's are a good shout in that regard, found his videos to be fairly beginner friendly.

I agree with this...you learn alot about the game from watching NorthernLion's streams, plus he is very entertaining to listen to.

When Patrick from GB does streams of Isaac, they are also fun to watch.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

Yep. I was on a -19 streak before I beat Mom for the first time. Now I can pretty consistently get past her, barring shit luck on items.

The slowdown in bigger rooms on Vita is pretty bad. The larger square rooms, in particular. It can really chug, sometimes even when there isn't an outrageous number of things going on. It's not bad or frequent enough to be a big deal for me, but I wouldn't mind seeing it addressed in a patch at some point.

Other than that, just keep playing ha ha.

I've been watching NL's BoI vids on and off ever since he started it, and watched like almost all of his Rebirth ones. I know what most of the old items do and whatnot, but I'm lacking the ability to apply this knowledge. :C
Some enemies just completely bend me over.

Yaari

Do triple and quad stack? Just got both on a Azazel run. Brimstone also showed up.

Wow that run was filled with sick items JZZ3 7C0K

Fixes. My bad

Vita users are you using analog sticks or dpad and face buttons?

Mainly analog stick, but face buttons work better against static targets like Gurdy or Hosts. For me it's a 85%-15% split between those two, but it's great to be able to jump between both control schemes instantly.

For those that are struggling a bit with the game do keep in mind that this game is extremely dependent on item drops (both good and bad) more so than most rouge-like games. In games like Spelunky and Rouge Legacy you can consistently get pretty deep into just about every run on pure skill and ability alone but in this game I'm still getting smoked on runs where all I get is garbage pills, "upgrades" that don't help at all and no core items like keys, hearts or bombs and end up not even reaching Mom. But once you have that one run where you are absolutely unstoppable tank with 2 full rows of hearts and dealing an insane amounts of damage at an incredible rate it makes up for all the bullshit that can happen to you.

p.s. Slot machines. Use them. You don't carry any money between runs so you might as well put it to work for you.

jonno394

Do triple and quad stack? Just got both on a Azazel run. Brimstone also showed up.

Wow that run was filled with sick items JZZ3 7C0K

Fixes. My bad

Will doing a run with this code still count towards my "beat moms heart X times" to get to it lives or does it count as a standalone thing?

Celegus

Azazel is totaly unplayable with the sticks. Firing mah la... blood in the wrong direction every time.

I've never had a problem. I use sticks all the time (Vita), unless I get something like tiny planet where I'll just hold in the x button. I'm also a heathen that plays Spelunky with the left stick instead of d-pad.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Okay the 'R U A Wizard' pill is run ending. It's killed three runs for me now. I feel like it's too much. How's everyone doing with it?

Edit:It only lasts one screen :( I'm an incredible idiot

Novocaine

Tell that to nearly everyone, everywhere, involving any activity...

"I can't be best first time I am playing bowling/making clay vase/....., screw this!"
-just a general rant

Works ends, Isaac begins...

Well there is no secret trick to being instantly awesome at Isaac.

Ambient80

Yep, those things are OP as fuck, and I loved every second of it.

I had controllable tears with something that gave me triple shot, and something that made my tears huge and powerful. It was basically cheating lol. Just three big tears circling each other one shotting everything but bosses and making short work of them too.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat Boss Rush as Azazel. Is there... any reason at all to play as anyone besides Azazel ever, because I'm really not seeing it.

Top Bottom